Slam away, but Spin Doctors are better funk rock than...

harmless_little_f***harmless_little_f*** Posts: 8,005
edited February 2008 in Other Music
RHCP. And I'll take that opinion to my death.
'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Can everyone even remember the last time the RHCP played a funk song?

i sure can't. Bunch of pop bullshit ever since they made their first few millions with Under the Bridge (The OHM album excluded, Navarro rocked out some epic shit on that one)

What was it.....1988 the last time the RHCP were anything remotely considered funk? i think so.
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • Can everyone even remember the last time the RHCP played a funk song?

i sure can't. Bunch of pop bullshit ever since they made their first few millions with Under the Bridge (The OHM album excluded, Navarro rocked out some epic shit on that one)

What was it.....1988 the last time the RHCP were anything remotely considered funk? i think so.

Fair point.. but what do RHCP have left without the funk rock? Bland nothingness. And they've proved it time and time again.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

• mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    Fair point.. but what do RHCP have left without the funk rock? Bland nothingness. And they've proved it time and time again.

agreeded while I like the previous two records the last one was a fucking bust, in a word redundant. and I always thought the Spin Doctors were way too good for "one hit wonder" status

edit-like jimmy olsen's blues? fuck I love that song
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Nah, The Chilis in their peak, from about '86 to '89 did the funk thing in a very energetic fun way, as opposed to the grating Hump de Bump crap now. Spin Doctors' scat singing was a bit wack imo :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4XqZQJ4NoA&feature=related
    I long for them to release something like this again.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Nah, The Chilis in their peak, from about '86 to '89 did the funk thing in a very energetic fun way, as opposed to the grating Hump de Bump crap now. Spin Doctors' scat singing was a bit wack imo :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4XqZQJ4NoA&feature=related
    I long for them to release something like this again.

Meh..... we agree on most things J but I'm not convinced, sorry. :o That song's got a nice groove but no substance..

Meh..... we agree on most things J but I'm not convinced, sorry. :o That song's got a nice groove but no substance..
    It's not supposed to have substance :D it's about partying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suH0xS1zxHA
    how about this? it's a pretty slow psychedelic funky tune from their lest album before Hillel Slovak died and Frusciante took over.

where's is the substance in scibbitybippiutybopbopbopbopdeboppitybop anyway? :p
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    It's not supposed to have substance :D it's about partying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suH0xS1zxHA
    how about this? it's a pretty slow psychedelic funky tune from their lest album before Hillel Slovak died and Frusciante took over.

where's is the substance in scibbitybippiutybopbopbopbopdeboppitybop anyway? :p

The SD's musicianship is pretty fucking spectacular.. if you wanted to analyse it, OK, I could get into that pissing contest; I'd have a good case. ;) I wasn't talking lyrical substance but the SD's songs are quite complex arrangement-wise.

• RHCP. And I'll take that opinion to my death.
    my asshole has better funk rock then RHCP... they're the fucking worst band out there now
    The SD's musicianship is pretty fucking spectacular.. if you wanted to analyse it, OK, I could get into that pissing contest; I'd have a good case. ;) I wasn't talking lyrical substance but the SD's songs are quite complex arrangement-wise.
    Are you using MUSICIANSHIP in an argument against the chilis?! :D you could have used anything from: shit lyrics, awful singer, no good albums in the last 17 years, over reliance on immature sex content. you went for musicianship? :p The chilis are fucking great musicians, just Kiedis is a bad songwriter and they have lost their fun(k)
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Are you using MUSICIANSHIP in an argument against the chilis?! :D you could have used anything from: shit lyrics, awful singer, no good albums in the last 17 years, over reliance on immature sex content. you went for musicianship? :p The chilis are fucking great musicians, just Kiedis is a bad songwriter and they have lost their fun(k)

I didn't say RHCP weren't great musicians.. Chad Smith. Case in point. But it did sound as if you were startin' up an argument against Spin Doctors' musicianship.. they're about on a par imo.

• Regardless of how popular it is to bash them i LOVE John Frusciante's guitar work on BSSM and Californication.....

And yeah, call them what you want but they are certainly not bad musicians......

BSSM is pure funk......

And John is just an inspiration to me, such a good player http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE3dUUj4_4Q&feature=related
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • this thread is fucking laughable
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • this thread is fucking laughable

Why? because for once in history someone pitted 2 VERY non-similar bands against each other?

If i have to see one more fucking "who's better....pearl jam or nirvana?" or "....beatles or rolling stones?" thread i am going to fucking vomit.

He had the balls to put up a band that is horrible yet critical darlings against a band who is actually decent but got a bad label (flash in the pan). i say add to the discussion if you can, but most people can't because the RHCP's label pays to plaster them all over the radio so that is the only reference point most people have concerning the 2 bands.
  • 7/16/06 7/18/06
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    At this point I'd take the Spin Doctors over the Chili Peppers, aside from One Hot Minute. That album doesn't get nearly enough love.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    Why? because for once in history someone pitted 2 VERY non-similar bands against each other?

If i have to see one more fucking "who's better....pearl jam or nirvana?" or "....beatles or rolling stones?" thread i am going to fucking vomit.

He had the balls to put up a band that is horrible yet critical darlings against a band who is actually decent but got a bad label (flash in the pan). i say add to the discussion if you can, but most people can't because the RHCP's label pays to plaster them all over the radio so that is the only reference point most people have concerning the 2 bands.
    well said
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213

amazing live band. their radio hits do not reveal them as a band.
  • jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    How can thread starter be commended for 'pitting 2 very non-similar bands' against each other?
    That makes no sense!
    I'll show you....
    Say what you want, but Pearl Jam are way better than the Bee Gees, anyday!
    See? BTW, Mark, that cd is here waiting for you :D
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
  • brain of c wrote:
    amazing live band. their radio hits do not reveal them as a band.

i think you're the only one who thinks that are good live.
  • jamie uk wrote:
    How can thread starter be commended for 'pitting 2 very non-similar bands' against each other?

Non-similar in the sense that one is heavily marketed and the other is not.

i established the criteria for why i said that immediately following that sentence.

don't just read the headlines.
  • jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    Non-similar in the sense that one is heavily marketed and the other is not.

i established the criteria for why i said that immediately following that sentence.

don't just read the headlines.

OK, fair play. Are they still going? I haven't heard of them since that 'big' record they had about 15 years ago.
    As for RHCP, nothing remarkable about them for me, they're allright. I'd actually prefer the 'mellower' stuff they've done just recently, to that frantic 'funk for funks sake', they used to trot out. But that's mostly to do with John's guitar playing, which is quite wonderful.
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
  • Are you guys for real or just fucking around? The spin doctors better than RHCP? sure, and Candlebox destroys Pearl Jam too.
  • Are you guys for real or just fucking around? The spin doctors better than RHCP?

I still haven't seen any evidence to the contrary. Everyone of your opinion has just said 'Wtf dude?' Like I'm supposed to go 'Oh yeah, I forgot.. wtf? Of course RHCP are better!' Give me some evidence that

1) RHCP play funk better than SD's
    2) RHCP are better musicians than SD's
    3) RHCP write more complex songs and arrangements than SD's

And then we can start the discussion. Albums sales, critical acclaim and popularity have nothing to do with this.

• brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    i think you're the only one who thinks that are good live.

so you haven't seen them, either.
    I still haven't seen any evidence to the contrary. Everyone of your opinion has just said 'Wtf dude?' Like I'm supposed to go 'Oh yeah, I forgot.. wtf? Of course RHCP are better!' Give me some evidence that

1) RHCP play funk better than SD's
    2) RHCP are better musicians than SD's
    3) RHCP write more complex songs and arrangements than SD's

And then we can start the discussion. Albums sales, critical acclaim and popularity have nothing to do with this.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CrPDm9fArM

That covers at least numbers 1 and 2 ;)
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CrPDm9fArM

That covers at least numbers 1 and 2 ;)

Hmm.. the words 'on a par' spring to mind, again. That said, that was excellent; pity I've NEVER heard them come across that well on record.

Hmm.. the words 'on a par' spring to mind, again. That said, that was excellent; pity I've NEVER heard them come across that well on record.
    Have you heard much of their 80s stuff? It's all mostly like that. The energy and musicianship on albums like Freaky Styley, Uplift Mofo Party Plan and Mother's Milk (my favourite and the only chilis album I actually listen to ever) are all stuff of that level.

Don't listen to anyone who tells you that Blood Sugar Sex Magik is their best.

And if we're talking amazing arrangements and stuff, you might recognise this little tune... when that shitheap of a "band" crazy town stole it. the original is gorgeous. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBt5-ZINRhs
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Have you heard much of their 80s stuff? It's all mostly like that. The energy and musicianship on albums like Freaky Styley, Uplift Mofo Party Plan and Mother's Milk (my favourite and the only chilis album I actually listen to ever) are all stuff of that level.

Don't listen to anyone who tells you that Blood Sugar Sex Magik is their best.

And if we're talking amazing arrangements and stuff, you might recognise this little tune... when that shitheap of a "band" crazy town stole it. the original is gorgeous.

Looks like there's some material I need to be hearing. That said, there's something to be said for quitting while you are ahead (Spin Doctors)... RHCP seem to be planning on fizzling out like a snowflake.

• brain of c wrote:
    so you haven't seen them, either.

Seen them 3 times. They rank at the very BOTTOM of a list of 200+ bands i have seen. absolutely awful, without fail, every time.
  • Seen them 3 times. They rank at the very BOTTOM of a list of 200+ bands i have seen. absolutely awful, without fail, every time.
    I have seen them 3 times, and have been blown away. Keidis doesnt always delivers a great vocal but has plenty of energy. and the musicianship of Chad, Flea, and John are amazing. Those guys can jam with anybody. John Frusciante alone is the reason why RHCP is the best MAINSTREAM rock band right now. In the 80's Flea was the reason they were the best FUNK Band.