A Crow Left of the Murder is...

harmless_little_f***harmless_little_f*** Posts: 8,005
edited December 2007 in Other Music
such a great, great album. I am very surprised there are doubters.
'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    I'm with you. I listened to it a few days ago and it reminded me how good this album is
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • i think its not so good. i like their first few albums but they've sucked lately.
  • audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    Well you know how people love to hate Incubus because they didn't keep making records that sound like S.C.I.E.N.C.E.

I always think thats a bit rich, especially considering this is a PJ board.

And yes. It is a GREAT album. And the songs come off really well live (in my opinion one of the weakest tracks was chosen as the first single).
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • audiodave wrote:
    Well you know how people love to hate Incubus because they didn't keep making records that sound like S.C.I.E.N.C.E.

I always think thats a bit rich, especially considering this is a PJ board.

And yes. It is a GREAT album. And the songs come off really well live (in my opinion one of the weakest tracks was chosen as the first single).

I agree with all of your points. :D
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

• eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    oh my gosh! I've got the album!!

I'd almost forgotten, wow.

must find it tonight and listen to it again! :D

EDIT: and yes, it's fabulous.
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • eMMI wrote:
    oh my gosh! I've got the album!!

I'd almost forgotten, wow.

must find it tonight and listen to it again! :D

EDIT: and yes, it's fabulous.

'Tis a good one.

• A brilliant album, Mike's playing really shines through... But I still miss Dirk Lance. :(
  • boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    I love this album. They showed so much growth on it. And yes, the songs really shine live. I also agree with the point made above about S.C.I.E.N.C.E. Honestly, it is one of my least favorite Incubus albums. There are a few really great songs and then quite a few I rarely listen to.

Unfortunately Light Grenades was a big step back.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    yeah it is, i'm not that big on incubus, but they do have great moments, sick sad little world is INCREDIBLE. as is the majority of the album, love its rawness
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • pistola is the highlight for me
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • Light Grenades takes a while to grow on you... but after a while, you'll love it... also, I edited the Earth to Bellas to be one whole song... kept it where Earth to Bella 1 is, but now have it combined... so it's a great middle track just like that... when Earth to Bella 2 stops... it fades out to the drums stopping, then when Oil and Water kicks in... it sounds awesome. Just wanted to share..

A Crow Left of the Murder... is amazing though... it's either my second favorite record or close next to Light Grenades.

I love Incubus.
    If I could, think I would give in.
    Light Grenades takes a while to grow on you... but after a while, you'll love it... also, I edited the Earth to Bellas to be one whole song... kept it where Earth to Bella 1 is, but now have it combined... so it's a great middle track just like that... when Earth to Bella 2 stops... it fades out to the drums stopping, then when Oil and Water kicks in... it sounds awesome. Just wanted to share..

A Crow Left of the Murder... is amazing though... it's either my second favorite record or close next to Light Grenades.

I love Incubus.

Haha. I bought Light Grenades the day it came out. I'd say it's had its time to grow on me. It did so only very slightly. Enough for me to say that it was a mediocre album rather than a terrible one. It just isn't very good. Most of the songs are throw-aways. And they don't sound any better live. Sorry.
  • Great album with crap lyrics.
    Great album with crap lyrics.

That's funny, I think it has the best lyrics of any of Incubus's albums.
  • boroff89 wrote:
    Haha. I bought Light Grenades the day it came out. I'd say it's had its time to grow on me. It did so only very slightly. Enough for me to say that it was a mediocre album rather than a terrible one. It just isn't very good. Most of the songs are throw-aways. And they don't send any better live. Sorry.

spot on.

but oil and water does kick. the rest is a little more than a MEH from me. i've seen incubus 4 times and have all the albums and i feel they will never beat the back to back release of morning view and murder. definite high water mark for them.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • We shall see. No one liked A Crow Left of the Murder when it came out... now that Light Grenades is out, people love ACLOTM.... we'll see what happens with Light Grenades when their next album drops.
    If I could, think I would give in.
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    what is this 2002? Incubus come on guys geez
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
    We shall see. No one liked A Crow Left of the Murder when it came out... now that Light Grenades is out, people love ACLOTM.... we'll see what happens with Light Grenades when their next album drops.

I loved ACLOTM the first time I heard it.
    mrwalkerb wrote:

Umm. . .what exactly does this mean? That you don't see them as a relevant band anymore? Even if that were the case, which it is most definitely not, when has it ever been a rule that discussion of once great bands is not allowed?
  • We shall see. No one liked A Crow Left of the Murder when it came out... now that Light Grenades is out, people love ACLOTM.... we'll see what happens with Light Grenades when their next album drops.
    Actually I've loved Light Grenades since my first listen last year. That's when I started to get into Incubus. (Anyone who hasn't heard the Japanese bonus tracks Punchdrunk and Look Alive should definitely check them out!)

Have to say ACLOTM is one album I can really listen to on repeat. Terrific stuff all the way through and the production, just as with LG, is perfection!
    Smile Lines is my fav but then there all so good.
    uʍop ǝpısdn ǝɹ,ǝʍ 'punoɹ ʎɐʍ ɹǝɥʇo ǝɥʇ ןןɐ s,ʇı
  • Morning View was their Masterpiece. Great Album. Circles, I wish you were here, the amazing Blood on the ground, Warning, 11am all great songs.
    Morning View is their best record and it's one of my fav abum EVER.
    ACLOTM is something like the dark side, more heavier than m.v.. Some great songs like Megalomaniac, Agarophobia, Zee Devil, Pistola and Priceless but I def prefer Morning View.
    Light Grenades isn't bad but I'm sick off hearing Love hurts
    Beavis : Is this Pearl Jam?
    Butt-head: This guy makes faces like Eddie Vedder.
    Beavis: No, Eddie Vedder makes faces like this guy.
    Butt-head: I heard these guys, like, came first and Pearl Jam ripped them off.
    Beavis: No, Pearl Jam came first.
    Butt-head: Well, they both suck.
  • mrwalkerb wrote:

Oh yeah, I forgot, you're supposed to have a new favourite band every six years aren't you. How could I forget?

What's current, mrwalker? My Chemical Romance? I'll rush out and buy it right now...

silly statement. murder was well received from fans and critics alike.
  • boroff89 wrote:
    That's funny, I think it has the best lyrics of any of Incubus's albums.

REALLY?

Met my match today
    Felt the blood rushing and mingling
    A curious and enigmatic thing
    Spiders in my dreams
    Synchronicity weaves like a web
    When you were meant to be a meal

I want you bad!
    I want you bad!
    I understand why they say
    high school never ends

Never act my age
    You can tell by the lines in my smile
    That I have been around for awhile
    So, insecurities
    Are about as useful as trying
    To put the pin back in the grenade

I want you bad!
    I want you bad!
    high school never ends

I want you bad!
    I want you bad!
    high school never stops

This isn't coincidence
    There's no such thing
    This isn't coincidence, no
    This isn't coincidence
    It's no such thing.
    This isn't, no

I want you bad!
    I want you bad!
    high school never ends

*shudders*

REALLY?
    REALLY?

Met my match today
    Spiders in my dreams

I want you bad!
    I want you bad!
    high school never ends

Never act my age
    So, insecurities

I want you bad!
    I want you bad!
    high school never ends

I want you bad!
    I want you bad!
    high school never stops

This isn't coincidence
    There's no such thing
    This isn't coincidence
    It's no such thing.
    This isn't, no

I want you bad!
    I want you bad!
    high school never ends

*shudders*

REALLY?

You can have that one, but I love the lyrics to Sick Sad Little World, Here In My Room, Talk Shows on Mute, Agoraphobia. . .
  • how come no one has mentioned southern girl and here in my room ....

amazing album through and through
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • REALLY?

Met my match today
    Spiders in my dreams

I want you bad!
    I want you bad!
    high school never ends

Never act my age
    So, insecurities

I want you bad!
    I want you bad!
    high school never ends

I want you bad!
    I want you bad!
    high school never stops

This isn't coincidence
    There's no such thing
    This isn't coincidence
    It's no such thing.
    This isn't, no

I want you bad!
    I want you bad!
    high school never ends

*shudders*

REALLY?

it fits the music and the song man

and also lets hear some of your music/lyrics so we can base a comparison..
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • it fits the music and the song man

and also lets hear some of your music/lyrics so we can base a comparison..

Shut up. That's the biggest cop out response ever.

I don't care if it fits the song. "I WANT YOU BAD! NOW I KNOW WHY THEY SAY HIGH SCHOOL NEVER ENDS" is the worst. chorus. EVER.

Vedder could crap better lyrics.
  • audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    Shut up. That's the biggest cop out response ever.

I don't care if it fits the song. "I WANT YOU BAD! NOW I KNOW WHY THEY SAY HIGH SCHOOL NEVER ENDS" is the worst. chorus. EVER.

Vedder could crap better lyrics.
    I'm not defending the chorus of the song, as it isn't great (incidentally I do like the song, and the music is great), but in my opinion, a MUCH worse chorus is:

"Like Pilate, I have a dog".

*Shudders*
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • audiodave wrote:
    I'm not defending the chorus of the song, as it isn't great (incidentally I do like the song, and the music is great), but in my opinion, a MUCH worse chorus is:

"Like Pilate, I have a dog".

*Shudders*

agreed , thats the only bad lyrics on the album i think and def not amongst the worse ever.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}