I'd never heard the Ramones..

harmless_little_f***harmless_little_f*** Posts: 8,005
edited December 2007 in Other Music
til today. Sorting through my dad's cds to find something else to put on my iPod. I gave these a spin to see if they were suitable. Some excellent stuff. 'I Wanna Be Sedated' is great.. I already knew it but didn't realise it was written by them.
'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• pouch15pouch15 Posts: 436
    How old are you??? The ramones is for me one of those groups that takes a few listens to like it, but once you do, youll become a great fan. Buy the Anthology Cd, is great.

And have a merry Christmas
  • fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,734
    Twenty twenty twenty four hours ago, I wanna be fellated
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • pouch15 wrote:
    How old are you??? The ramones is for me one of those groups that takes a few listens to like it, but once you do, youll become a great fan. Buy the Anthology Cd, is great.

And have a merry Christmas

I'm 25, coming on 26, so I should've heard these ages ago.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

• urbanhippieurbanhippie Posts: 3,007
    Your Dad's Ramones fan??

That's one cool Dad...:cool:

What else does he have that you can steal?? :D
    A human being that was given to fly.

Wembley 18/06/07

If there was a reason, it was you.

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    I foooking love the Ramones!!!! :D:D

too bad their albums are hard to come by so I've only got a self-made mix CD.. all I seem to find from record stores around here are compilations with all the same songs. :rolleyes:

I do have a DVD though, Ramones Raw. :D it's got footage from Finland too. *woo*
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Here in America..........you have heard them whether you know it or not. Blitzkreig Bop is a standard at basically every sporting event.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • My daughter just heard them for the first time a couple nights ago, and went absolutely nuts! So she's a new fan, too. :D
  • I can finally admit this but I never really like the Ramones that much. Although I will admit that I never really gave them a fair shot.
    Shows:
    San Diego 2003
    Grand Rapids 2004
    Grand Rapids 2006
    Detroit 2006
    Columbus 2010

"With my own two hands I can change the world."
  • Your Dad's Ramones fan??

That's one cool Dad...:cool:

What else does he have that you can steal?? :D

He's got a fair bit of Neil Young I've nicked too.... Ssshhhh.

• urbanhippieurbanhippie Posts: 3,007
    He's got a fair bit of Neil Young I've nicked too.... Ssshhhh.

:D
    I wish my dad was that cool :cool:

Mine's really into his 'power ballads' :rolleyes:

I'm not a huge fan of Foreigner or The Scorpions :o
    A human being that was given to fly.

Wembley 18/06/07

If there was a reason, it was you.

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • :D
    I wish my dad was that cool :cool:

Mine's really into his 'power ballads' :rolleyes:

I'm not a huge fan of Foreigner or The Scorpions :o

Oh my dad's into a lot of shit too... Abba anyone?

• Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Oh my dad's into a lot of shit too... Abba anyone?
    The Winner Takes it All is the best pop ballad ever.

FACT :)

as for The Ramones, never liked them much. They have one catchy song, recorded a hundred times.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Other awesome songs, besides "...Sedated" (off the top of my head, LOTS of awesome songs):

I'm Against It
    My My Kind Of Girl
    Danny Says - the softer side of the ramones. :D
    Don't Come Close (live, OGWTest, '78, + 2 more songs, awsome!)
    Sheena Is A Punk Rocker (probably 3 way tie between this, IWBSedated & Blitzkrieg for #1 known ramones)
    KKK Took My Baby Away (before Manson fUCKED the song up, this video is kool!)
    Swallow MY Pride - mmm, more goodness. err, greatness!
    Beat On The Brat - another certified classic

Thems my top of the head favorites.
    Of course you have the ones Eddie covers, too:
    I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend
    Daytime Dilemma
    &
    I Believe In Miracles

And then you have THIS - The LAST song, and EDDIE there to ROCK THE FUCK OUT OF IT.

VIVA JOEY, JOHNNY & DEE DEE
    :( :( :(
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    til today. Sorting through my dad's cds to find something else to put on my iPod. I gave these a spin to see if they were suitable. Some excellent stuff. 'I Wanna Be Sedated' is great.. I already knew it but didn't realise it was written by them.
    Wow. When I read or hear someone say they'd never heard of (insert incredibly well known veteran band/artist here), it's an instant recoil effect. But then I have to remember that not everyone listened to the same things as I and not everyone is as old as I (which isn't all that old but high school is a faded memory).

Yes, "Sheena..." and "Brat" are classic.

Better late than never, harmless. Get your punk on.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • Blind3Blind3 Posts: 1,149
    Heard for the first time in 1975 . Saw them first time at CB's in May,78 ( A benefit for Johnny Blitz of The Dead Boys ,who'd been badly beaten ). Love 'em. They influenced so many bands .

Too many great songs , too little space to name 'em. Favorite songs include " I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend" , " Judy is a Punk " , "The KKK Stole My Baby Away "( reportedly Joey's ode to Johnny falling for his girl and taking her from him), " Pick Up The Pieces " or " Bonzo Goes To Bitburg " or " My Brain Is Hanging Upside Down" ( I've seen listed all three ways) , " Cretin Hop" , and "Havana Affair" .

End of the Century and It's Alive 1974-1996 are great DVDs too.
    "Buy the ticket,take the ride"
    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"If I wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better"
    Johan Cruijff
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    as for The Ramones, never liked them much. They have one catchy song, recorded a hundred times.

Isn't this true for all punk music to some extent? One punk song recorded a million times? I've concluded that you have to get over this if you're going to be a punk fan at all..

Isn't this true for all punk music to some extent? One punk song recorded a million times? I've concluded that you have to get over this if you're going to be a punk fan at all..
    No :) and they weren't a punk band, they were a pop band with a punk image. their songs are essentially fast rock and roll with poppy choruses, and there's nothing wrong with that, it's just not really punk. Have a listen to Pink Flag by Wire, Repeater by Fugazi or Die Kreuzen's self-titled and then say they are one song bands :D

I like The Ramones in short bursts but I never really got the fuss about them.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • they do their best
    do what they can
    to get them ready
    for Vietnam..
  • emily18emily18 Posts: 489
    i loove the ramones! :D
  • nutmeg81nutmeg81 Posts: 627
    I'm 25, coming on 26, so I should've heard these ages ago.

well im just gone 26.......and been into em for bout 8 years now....though
    its down to my older brother (38 yr old) and hearing them over the PA b4 a green day in dublin in '98!!

the 2cd Anthology is great......and the 4 disc boxset has everything more or less...its in a comic book like design!!

gabba gabb hey!!
    26/10/96 dublin
    01/06/00 dublin
    23/08/06 dublin
    11/09/06 paris
    18/06/07 london
    17/08/09 manchester
    18/08/09 london
  • nutmeg81 wrote:
    well im just gone 26.......and been into em for bout 8 years now....though
    its down to my older brother (38 yr old) and hearing them over the PA b4 a green day in dublin in '98!!

the 2cd Anthology is great......and the 4 disc boxset has everything more or less...its in a comic book like design!!

gabba gabb hey!!

I do believe I've just downloaded the 2 disk anthology ;)

• well i'm 23 and I think The Ramones are awesome! classic American punk baby! :D

As well as the classics like 'Blitzkreig Bop' 'Sheena is a punk rocker' and 'I wanna be sedated' check out 'Needles and Pins', 'Beat on the Brat', 'Do you remember Rock and Roll radio?' and 'The KKK took my baby away' (I also have a download of PJ covering 'KKK' :cool: ) If you haven't got those tracks you should download them :)

Listening to the Ramones though, you can see why bands like the Misfits are so popular, the sound is timeless.

GABBA GABBA HEY! indeed.... :cool:
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • well i'm 23 and I think The Ramones are awesome! classic American punk baby! :D

As well as the classics like 'Blitzkreig Bop' 'Sheena is a punk rocker' and 'I wanna be sedated' check out 'Needles and Pins', 'Beat on the Brat', 'Do you remember Rock and Roll radio?' and 'The KKK took my baby away' (I also have a download of PJ covering 'KKK' :cool: ) If you haven't got those tracks you should download them :)

Listening to the Ramones though, you can see why bands like the Misfits are so popular, the sound is timeless.

GABBA GABBA HEY! indeed.... :cool:

I've never heard the Misfits either :eek:

• nutmeg81nutmeg81 Posts: 627
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    No :) and they weren't a punk band, they were a pop band with a punk image. their songs are essentially fast rock and roll with poppy choruses, and there's nothing wrong with that, it's just not really punk. Have a listen to Pink Flag by Wire, Repeater by Fugazi or Die Kreuzen's self-titled and then say they are one song bands :D

I like The Ramones in short bursts but I never really got the fuss about them.

thats only if u base punk rock on the sound....... people will say that fugazi are the originators of emo....or hardcore.....

can u consider velvet underground punk??? if you take into account that they sounded nothing like anything else at the time....they they could be viewed in a punk way...due to goin against the grain??

punk rock music isnt purely down to image or sound or whatever.....i think its whatever u want it to be...most punk bands hated the term....ala grunge groups.....
    26/10/96 dublin
    01/06/00 dublin
    23/08/06 dublin
    11/09/06 paris
    18/06/07 london
    17/08/09 manchester
    18/08/09 london
  • I've never heard the Misfits either :eek:

:eek:

Download the albums :

* Famous Monsters
    * American Psycho
    * Project 1950
    * Walk Among Us

You might not like them, you can but give them a go! My favourite is Famous Monsters cuz it's 1950's style horrorpunk. The Misfits are just fap-tastic IMO :cool:
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

• :eek:

Download the albums :

* Famous Monsters
    * American Psycho
    * Project 1950
    * Walk Among Us

You might not like them, you can but give them a go! My favourite is Famous Monsters cuz it's 1950's style horrorpunk. The Misfits are just fap-tastic IMO :cool:

By 1950's style horrorpunk, do you mean Psychobilly? I'm completely getting off on Psychobilly right now! :D

• By 1950's style horrorpunk, do you mean Psychobilly? I'm completely getting off on Psychobilly right now! :D

similar but OH MY GOD! you HAVE to hear 'Saturday Night' from Famous Monsters!! amaaaaaazing!!! My favourite Misfits song of all time! :D

I'm impressed on the psychobilly-ness there Harmless :cool: ever heard the Horrorpops?

• similar but OH MY GOD! you HAVE to hear 'Saturday Night' from Famous Monsters!! amaaaaaazing!!! My favourite Misfits song of all time! :D

I'm impressed on the psychobilly-ness there Harmless :cool: ever heard the Horrorpops?

Nope, should I?... I'm new to it all. I always had 50s rock n roll as a guilty pleasure, but always wished it got a tad 'darker'. Little did I know that there was this stuff out there.

The Cramps

King Kurt

Devilish Presley

Eighties Matchbox B Line Disaster

Reverend Horton Heat.... etc. etc.

• Nope, should I?... I'm new to it all. I always had 50s rock n roll as a guilty pleasure, but always wished it got a tad 'darker'. Little did I know that there was this stuff out there.

The Cramps

King Kurt

Devilish Presley

Eighties Matchbox B Line Disaster

Reverend Horton Heat.... etc. etc.

The Horrorpops are ace! but i'll PM you about them tomorrow, home time now!

DOWNLOAD THE MISFITS MAN!!! :cool:

nutmeg81 wrote:
    thats only if u base punk rock on the sound....... people will say that fugazi are the originators of emo....or hardcore.....

can u consider velvet underground punk??? if you take into account that they sounded nothing like anything else at the time....they they could be viewed in a punk way...due to goin against the grain??

punk rock music isnt purely down to image or sound or whatever.....i think its whatever u want it to be...most punk bands hated the term....ala grunge groups.....
    I agree wholeheartedly, and that's why I don't think the Ramones were punk. I consider Refused to be a punk band, even though they have a lot of electronica elements thrown in because their attitude and aesthetics are punk. I think The Ramones were an enjoyable pub band with leather jackets. That hardly makes it punk. I certainly think the VU were closer to punk in music, image and attitude. Like you said, they went against the grain. The Ramones didn't exactly do that. Their music was fairly derivative, just with a new twist.