NIN - The Downward Spiral

Comments

• I like Closer, but it's not the kind of song you want to sing along to on the bus is it ? :o

I'll bet it's pretty wild to see it live though....:cool:

I sing along to it on the bus....

and I saw it live this year....

Yeah it was pretty wild, I believe me and one of my best female friends were the floor show after stripping t shirts and 'dancing' with each other.... AHEM!! *embarrassed*

but then... you knew this ;)
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Year Zero didn't really float my boat it has to be said.

I prefer classic NIN, Pretty Hate Machine rules but Downward Spiral is the essential album for anyone to get though, nothing beats Ruiner and Mr Self Destruct IMO.
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • For anyone who thinks it ends with the downward spiral, listen to The fragile on vinyl with a candle burning and you will see your entire future.
  • RockKingRockKing Posts: 431
    This album was truly Trent's masterpiece, and to be honest everything else doesn't even come close. Although my anticipation for The Fragile was huge, it was a bit of a let down compared to TDS.

Wow, I couldn't disagree with this more. I think The Fragile is one of the 5 most brilliant albums ever made. And while I do love The Downward Spiral, I'd rather listen to The Fragile, Pretty Hate Machine, or Broken any day.
    --"I'm like an opening band for the sun"

--"We’re taking pills to get along with life… the pills are YIELD and PJ’s music. Then we create words to call our own = our analysis of YIELD." - YIH
    rrivers wrote:
    I am a big fan of The Fragile as well, though I think "starfuckers" is out of place on it. Not a bad song, but just doesn't fit with the album.

Haha, amen to that. I seriously tell people this all the time. I fucking hate the fact that they put Starfuckers on it. It had no business being on that album.

--"We’re taking pills to get along with life… the pills are YIELD and PJ’s music. Then we create words to call our own = our analysis of YIELD." - YIH
  • RockKing wrote:
    Wow, I couldn't disagree with this more. I think The Fragile is one of the 5 most brilliant albums ever made. And while I do love The Downward Spiral, I'd rather listen to The Fragile, Pretty Hate Machine, or Broken any day.

The Fragile is brilliant. I think they're all brilliant except for the lastest one.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
    The Fragile is brilliant. I think they're all brilliant except for the lastest one.

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I'm not putting down any of the other albums. I just think The Fragile took Trent's sense of broken rhythms and melodies to a whole different level that he never achieved before or after.

• RockKing wrote:
    Believe me, I do enjoy The Fragile. La Mer/Great Below is as beautiful as NIN gets. It's just not as great as TDS, IMHO. My biggest complaint about it has always been that it didn't need to be a double album. It feels a bit bloated and I think it would have been a really awesome CD with the best 14-15 songs, IMO. Even Trent has since ackowledged that he probably should've narrowed it down and that album sales were hurt by it. I'll try to find the Spin magazine link.
    It doesn't help matters that the terrible StarsInc. made the final tracklisting and 2 of the best songs- 10 Miles High and The New Flesh- were outtakes. That being said, Fragile is still a good album that contains many of NIN's best work. I just need coffee to listen in its entirety!
    Believe me, I do enjoy The Fragile. La Mer/Great Below is as beautiful as NIN gets. It's just not as great as TDS, IMHO. My biggest complaint about it has always been that it didn't need to be a double album. It feels a bit bloated and I think it would have been a really awesome CD with the best 14-15 songs, IMO. Even Trent has since ackowledged that he probably should've narrowed it down and that album sales were hurt by it. I'll try to find the Spin magazine link.
    It doesn't help matters that the terrible StarsInc. made the final tracklisting and 2 of the best songs- 10 Miles High and The New Flesh- were outtakes. That being said, Fragile is still a good album that contains many of NIN's best work. I just need coffee to listen in its entirety!

Those are all valid points. I do think that disc 2 drags on a little bit. But man, something about that album just hits me in a way that TDS doesn't. I guess we'll just agree that Trent is amazing and all the NIN albums are excellent (with the possible exception of Year Zero), but agree to disagree on which is his best work.

• audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    RockKing wrote:
    Those are all valid points. I do think that disc 2 drags on a little bit. But man, something about that album just hits me in a way that TDS doesn't. I guess we'll just agree that Trent is amazing and all the NIN albums are excellent (with the possible exception of Year Zero), but agree to disagree on which is his best work.

Year Zero is still excellent, in my opinion, but I understand why others don't like it. It's a very bold move for Trent, as it's completely unlike any of his previous work. This album, like the rest, is NOT about him. I can understand why people are annoyed at the music on the album, as a lot of the drumbeats are similar, and it does feel a little rushed, but i've been listening to it a fair bit recently, and I have to say I forgot how good it was! I love a lot of the lyrics, and it's quite a diverse album.

But each to their own.

Oh. And The Fragile may be my favourite album. Ever.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • NYbenbenNYbenben Posts: 1,020
    this is one of my favorite albums of all time... it kicks major ass!!
    4/12/92, 8/11/92, 9/28/96, 9/11/98, 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 7/9/03, 4/30/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 12/9/05, 5/12/06, 5/17/06, 5/28/06, 6/3/06, 12/9/06, EV LA 4/12-4/13/08, 6/12/08, 6,19,08, 6,20,08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 7/1/08

and still jonesing for another show....
    "the waiting drove me mad..."
    audiodave wrote:
    Year Zero is still excellent, in my opinion, but I understand why others don't like it. It's a very bold move for Trent, as it's completely unlike any of his previous work. This album, like the rest, is NOT about him. I can understand why people are annoyed at the music on the album, as a lot of the drumbeats are similar, and it does feel a little rushed, but i've been listening to it a fair bit recently, and I have to say I forgot how good it was! I love a lot of the lyrics, and it's quite a diverse album.

But each to their own.

Oh. And The Fragile may be my favourite album. Ever.

Yeah, I dunno, I mean listened to Year Zero a lot this year. I mean, a LOT. And there are parts of it that I think are great. But it really is just so repetitive and techno-driven that I just don't think it's quite as good as what I've come to expect from a NIN album.

• urbanhippieurbanhippie Posts: 3,007
    I sing along to it on the bus....

and I saw it live this year....

Yeah it was pretty wild, I believe me and one of my best female friends were the floor show after stripping t shirts and 'dancing' with each other.... AHEM!! *embarrassed*

but then... you knew this ;)

I DID know this...:p
    I should have been there too...

Must see live music soon.......:o
    A human being that was given to fly.

Wembley 18/06/07

If there was a reason, it was you.

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696

I've never heard of 10 Miles High and The New Flesh?

Can you pm me where I can find them?
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    my girlfriend met Trent back in the day and said he was a complete asshole.

she met alot of people back then: Al Jourgenson, Timothy Leary, Green Day, Perry Ferrel, Hatebreed, Fred Durst (!), Mike Patton....
  • my girlfriend met Trent back in the day and said he was a complete asshole.....

Not that i think the source is all that "credible", but:

Courtney Love -- "Nine Inch Nail? More like Three Inch Prick"

:D

I was a HUGE nails fan (halos zero through 12a and b) but gave up after i got over my highschool mega-angst kick.

"Industrial", like "rave", is dead.
    Get over it.

[btw - i met perry. he was AWESOME! high as a kite and smoking a joint the whole time he hung out -- back stage at PFP, 96, ATL. THANKS WATT!]
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
    Not that i think the source is all that "credible", but:

Courtney Love -- "Nine Inch Nail? More like Three Inch Prick"

I was a HUGE nails fan (halos zero through 12a and b) but gave up after i got over my highschool mega-angst kick.

"Industrial", like "rave", is dead.
    Get over it.

[btw - i met perry. he was AWESOME! high as a kite and smoking a joint the whole time he hung out -- back stage at PFP, 96, ATL. THANKS WATT!]

NIN aren't really industrial any more. If they ever were.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

• JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    rrivers wrote:
    I've never heard of 10 Miles High and The New Flesh?

Can you pm me where I can find them?

Its no secret, and its right up on NIN's new remix site: (10 Miles High remix by Keith Hillebrandt) http://remix.nin.com/play/mix?id=69 and you can download the mp3.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
    Exactly. Back in the day. When he was fucked off his face on drugs no doubt. Most people would be an asshole, and i'm sure, back in the day, a fair share of people who met Eddie thought he was.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

• Trent Reznor - absolute dickhead. :D

HAhaha. Lies.
    I went to the concert
    And I fought through the crowd
    Guess I got a little too excited
    When I thought you were around
  • a warm place is the best intrumental ever.
  • Downward Spiral=Good
    Year Zero=Garbage

Not a huge fan but definitely give credit where credit is due. Let's not praise an artist for producing something that is basically lame. I was very interested in the theme aspect and was completely let down.
  • Downward Spiral=Good
    Year Zero=Garbage

Not a huge fan but definitely give credit where credit is due. Let's not praise an artist for producing something that is basically lame. I was very interested in the theme aspect and was completely let down.

I don't think anyone here has said that Year Zero was his best work. It's his worst by far, what's with the defensiveness?
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

• urbanhippieurbanhippie Posts: 3,007
    Trent Reznor - musical genius, but absolute dickhead. :D
    I did say this was my own opinion. I don't know him personally. I'm sure at least part of it was the drugs, and I'm sure everyones capable of being a dickhead, at least from time to time. And I know plenty of people who think Ed's a bit of a twat, I don't agree but that's their opinion.

However I don't think sacking the band at the end of a tour is the work of a decent guy. Again...MY opinion. :p
    A human being that was given to fly.

Wembley 18/06/07

If there was a reason, it was you.

O2 Arena 18/09/09
    I did say this was my own opinion. I don't know him personally. I'm sure at least part of it was the drugs, and I'm sure everyones capable of being a dickhead, at least from time to time. And I know plenty of people who think Ed's a bit of a twat, I don't agree but that's their opinion.

However I don't think sacking the band at the end of a tour is the work of a decent guy. Again...MY opinion. :p
    And you're entitled to it, as I said.

At the end of the day, NIN IS Trent Reznor. It's his band, he does pretty much all the studio work, and his live band has changed a lot over the years. I'm sure the guys in the band knew that it wasn't a permanent position, and if they didn't they were very naive!
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

• audiodave wrote:
    And you're entitled to it, as I said.

At the end of the day, NIN IS Trent Reznor. It's his band, he does pretty much all the studio work, and his live band has changed a lot over the years. I'm sure the guys in the band knew that it wasn't a permanent position, and if they didn't they were very naive!
    Exactly...the band is just there so HIS music can be performed live more effectively.
  • mensanemensane Posts: 912

well, i met him in september and he was super nice.

everyone has their days. the first time i met stone he was a jackass.
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696
    mensane wrote:

Tell us the Stone story!
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • mensane wrote:

Stone a jackass? Wow do tell...

• AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    10 Miles High is a good fucking song!!!!!!!!!!! one of NIN's best bsides.