NIN - The Downward Spiral

harmless_little_f***harmless_little_f*** Posts: 8,005
edited December 2007 in Other Music
Just listening now.... Hats off to Trent. Come on man, you're so capable of genius.. what happened on the last one??
'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• urbanhippieurbanhippie Posts: 3,007
    Trent Reznor - musical genius, but absolute dickhead. :D
    A human being that was given to fly.

Wembley 18/06/07

If there was a reason, it was you.

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • March Of The Pigs!!!

Oh. Fuck. :D

'Doesn't it make you feel better?'
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

• Trent Reznor - musical genius, but absolute dickhead. :D

Don't know much about him... how so?

Just my opinion :D

My faves...Mr self-destruct or Hurt

Wembley 18/06/07

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • Just my opinion :D

My faves...Mr self-destruct or Hurt

I'd have to say March of the Pigs or Hurt.

I'd have to say March of the Pigs or Hurt.

March of the Pigs :cool:

Wembley 18/06/07

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • March of the Pigs :cool:

Yes... :cool: indeed.

• I love that album but still, I think Closer is the best. That song is amazing. One of my favourites of all time. That kind of song you never get tired of hearing, y'know?
    I love that album but still, I think Closer is the best. That song is amazing. One of my favourites of all time. That kind of song you never get tired of hearing, y'know?

I like Closer, but it's not the kind of song you want to sing along to on the bus is it ? :o

I'll bet it's pretty wild to see it live though....:cool:

Wembley 18/06/07

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • I love that album but still, I think Closer is the best. That song is amazing. One of my favourites of all time. That kind of song you never get tired of hearing, y'know?

Closer is cool.

:cool: :cool: :cool:

NIN makes me feel like a right hardnut, like I could go and whop some people in the head.

• pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Just listening now.... Hats off to Trent. Come on man, you're so capable of genius.. what happened on the last one??

I thought Year Zero was great at first but it grew kinda stale, alot of the songs sounded too similar.........still love the theme though
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • Heresy is my fav....that second verse gets me every time.
  • I thought Year Zero was great at first but it grew kinda stale, alot of the songs sounded too similar.........still love the theme though

I feel the same way... nice idea, but what's with all the replicated drum beats? Arrgh annoying.

• rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696
    I bought Year Zero when it came out and still haven't listened to it much. I think I might have listened to it all the way through once.

Last night "In the Twilight" came on my ipod on shuffle and I dug it.

I agree that The Downward Spiral is amazing.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    c'mon people, "Ruiner" is the best!! "Mr. Self-Destruct" is stellar too. never bought anything after the Still EP.
  • audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    You're perfectly entitled to your opinions, but Trent has always come across as a decent guy to me.

I love The Downward Spiral. I have to be in the mood to listen to it, but when I do...WOW.

Closer...i've never been a fan of. And have grown bored of. Very bored of. Especially live. There are so many better songs on this album for me. Mr. Self Destruct, Heresy, March Of The Pigs, Ruiner, The Becommnig, Eraser (I LOVE this song)...

All the material comes off so well live aswell. Very powerfull stuff.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • audiodave wrote:
    You're perfectly entitled to your opinions, but Trent has always come across as a decent guy to me.

I love The Downward Spiral. I have to be in the mood to listen to it, but when I do...WOW.

Closer...i've never been a fan of. And have grown bored of. Very bored of. Especially live. There are so many better songs on this album for me. Mr. Self Destruct, Heresy, March Of The Pigs, Ruiner, The Becommnig, Eraser (I LOVE this song)...

All the material comes off so well live aswell. Very powerfull stuff.
    Totally...Closer live has very little life left in it. I hope he replaces it.
    Saturnal wrote:
    Totally...Closer live has very little life left in it. I hope he replaces it.
    The only thing I like about it is the keyboard synth riff from The Only Time that they do in the bridge. I'd much rather hear The Only Time though.

I'm intruiged as to what will happen live now he's fired the band.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

• uninnocentuninnocent Posts: 1,565
    just for fun i'ma make an ascending ordered list of my favourites off this album:

14. the downward spiral
    13. a warm place
    12. i do not want this
    11. closer
    10. hurt
    09. eraser
    08. big man with a gun
    07. ruiner
    06. mr. self destruct
    05. piggy
    04. the becoming
    03. reptile
    02. march of the pigs
    01. heresy
    audiodave wrote:
    The only thing I like about it is the keyboard synth riff from The Only Time that they do in the bridge. I'd much rather hear The Only Time though.

I'm intruiged as to what will happen live now he's fired the band.

He fired the band?
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    I like Closer, but it's not the kind of song you want to sing along to on the bus is it ? :o

I'll bet it's pretty wild to see it live though....:cool:
    I'd sing it on a bus. in fact I probably have.

Such a great dancefloor song. Specially if you have a hot girl to grind with ;)
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
    rrivers wrote:
    He fired the band?
    He did. After the last show of the tour. Something about not wanting the live performances to become stale.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

• Reptile: "she spreads herself wide open to let the insects in
    she leaves a trail of honey to show me where she's been
    she has the blood of reptile just underneath her skin
    seeds from a thousand others drip down from within"

Reminds me of a very unhealthy relationship I was in a couple years ago. But I digress. This album was truly Trent's masterpiece, and to be honest everything else doesn't even come close. Although my anticipation for The Fragile was huge, it was a bit of a let down compared to TDS.
  • Reptile: "she spreads herself wide open to let the insects in
    she leaves a trail of honey to show me where she's been
    she has the blood of reptile just underneath her skin
    seeds from a thousand others drip down from within"

Reminds me of a very unhealthy relationship I was in a couple years ago. But I digress

Ugh dude, too much information ;)

• smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    oh to be 17 again in 1994 when this album came out

definitly a life changing album for me, listen to it so much, all my friends were into it, it's one of those albums that was a soundtrack of my life for 2-3 months.

saw them in 1994, very cool

definitly his masterpiece, I have been listening to some NIN bootlegs on it, and they had quite a bit of Pretty Hate Machine tracks on it

ha, I remember reading the review for PHM in grade 9 in the high school paper, the name stood out for me
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • not4unot4u Posts: 512
    Heresy.
    The Republicans and Conservatives (in Canada) validate his statement "god is dead" and it's our fault "that noone cares" therefore we'll all go to hell by allowing the evil survive.
    we don't want war, but we still want more?
    I am a big fan of The Fragile as well, though I think "starfuckers" is out of place on it. Not a bad song, but just doesn't fit with the album.
  • mensanemensane Posts: 912
    trent is nice.

i like year zero a lot.

i could never get sick of closer live.

so there.

lol.
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    rrivers wrote:
    I am a big fan of The Fragile as well, though I think "starfuckers" is out of place on it. Not a bad song, but just doesn't fit with the album.

No no - it fits - its the comic relief in an otherwise very dark album. Esp. when you picture Manson in that silly video.

The Downward Spiral is without a doubt a masterpiece. Probably my favorites are The Becoming, Reptile, Heresy, Piggy, March of the Pigs, Mr.Self Destruct aw hell the entire thing.

Do you guys know that Trent's got his remix site up? He's released INSTRUMENTAL versions of TDS tracks for people to play with (and just to listen to), and to DOWNLOAD. He's also put up his video of the accoustic version of The Becoming (off Still) right on the nin front page. Go here: http://remix.nin.com/ to check out all the loveliness.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • I love the combo of March Of The Pigs into Closer.

And Hurt may very well be the greatest song ever written.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V