Billy Corgan/Smashing Pumpkins

SlowFadeSlowFade Posts: 75
edited December 2006 in Other Music
was insane. I don't think any songwriter can match the quality he had in the "mellon collie" period. Even the b-sides on the Airplane flies high are better than most bands a-sides. He must have written about 10 songs a day back then.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    SlowFade wrote:
    was insane. I don't think any songwriter can match the quality he had in the "mellon collie" period. Even the b-sides on the Airplane flies high are better than most bands a-sides. He must have written about 10 songs a day back then.

I agree Billy was writing some very strong stuff at that point, but Neil Young and Bob Dylan both come to mind of having equallly prolific periods of creativity.

but yeah Billy had the juices going during that time
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • I agree
  • GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,910
    What do you think are the chances of the new Pumpkins album being any good?

I'm guessing it will be a big dissapointment, but that means they can easily suprise me with something really good.

Here's to hoping!
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • What do you think are the chances of the new Pumpkins album being any good?

I'm guessing it will be a big dissapointment, but that means they can easily suprise me with something really good.

Here's to hoping!

Chances are it's gonna fucking rock because Corgan is gonna come out and make these emo panzies look like shit.
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • Chances are it's gonna fucking rock because Corgan is gonna come out and make these emo panzies look like shit.

HEAR HEAR!
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    I really really hope so

he truly was amazing in the early days.. the bsides from gish and Siamese dream are my favourite as far as outtakes go.. of ANY band
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • when is the new album due?? i love the pumpkins!
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • I know I'll love the new stuff! It's like PJ, it's weird sometimes, but then one day it clicks!

Anyway Siamese Dream-Mellon Collie, holy fucking shit. Brilliance. I can't get enough of Where Boys Fear to Tread right now, also X.Y.U. and Zero :) Can't forget Jellybelly and Muzzle and In the Arms of Sleep either! The whole fucking album is a masterpiece.

Don't even get me started on the flawless Siamese Dream :p
  • bharQ wrote:
    I really really hope so

he truly was amazing in the early days.. the bsides from gish and Siamese dream are my favourite as far as outtakes go.. of ANY band
    Slunk! :D
    I thought the Machina albums were really, really lousy. Also, while Adore was a great record in its own right, it felt like such a letdown after the masterpiece.

Anybody enjoy the Machina records?

Corgan was also starting to get on my nerves by that point, so maybe it played in to my feelings for the records
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • Anybody enjoy the Machina records?
    :eek:

MACHINA I and II are awesome! :D There are rough spots, I'll give you that, but Jesus Christ they take me for a ride. I don't care for some of the drumming (sounds like a drum machine sometimes), don't know what Jimmy was thinking, he's fanfuckingtastic!
    danny72688 wrote:
    :eek:

MACHINA I and II are awesome! :D There are rough spots, I'll give you that, but Jesus Christ they take me for a ride. I don't care for some of the drumming (sounds like a drum machine sometimes), don't know what Jimmy was thinking, he's fanfuckingtastic!

So.....if one were looking to revisit Machina 2, how would he/she go about finding it?

It's been years
  • So.....if one were looking to revisit Machina 2, how would he/she go about finding it?

It's been years
    http://www.billy-corgan.com/index.php?page=mp3s
    Sweet!

looks like that's what i'll be doing tonight
  • Sweet!

looks like that's what i'll be doing tonight
    You *must* report back to me and tell me what you think! I love MACHINA II, with the exception of two, maybe three out of fourteen songs.
    Will do
  • NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,309
    intodeep wrote:
    I agree Billy was writing some very strong stuff at that point, but Neil Young and Bob Dylan both come to mind of having equallly prolific periods of creativity.

but yeah Billy had the juices going during that time

yeah, and along with those two...zappa anyone??? 79 albums and counting...what's billy written, like 8??
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • MCGMCG Posts: 780
    Too bad he did Zwan (that's what it was called wasn't it), some of the worst garbage I've ever heard.
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • i think that soem of the pumpkins stuff is radiohead before radiohead was radiohead (if that makes any sense).

i also find it funny that radiohead scored big with kid a / amnesiac but machina was panned.
    those undecided, needn't have faith to be free
  • MCG wrote:
    Too bad he did Zwan (that's what it was called wasn't it), some of the worst garbage I've ever heard.
    I actually liked the MUSIC of Zwan. The lyrics were way too happy for my taste which ruined it.
  • "Stand Inside Your Love" has to be one of the greatest songs ever
    "I'm a thief, and I dig it"
  • i'm definitely a huge fan of both machina I and II, and there are times when i enjoy them more than any of the early stuff. every pumpkins album is timeless and i'm hoping the new album will be just as delightful!!
    they say god makes problems just to see what you can stand ~ elliott smith
  • machina and machina 2 are great.....adore was the only weak point, and I do think that corgan's attitude scared off more fans than the music. The new pumpkins record will indeed rule though...but, here's one of my major complaints/love about the band....sometimes they have these great outro's that should have been thier own songs....like the end of through the eyes of ruby, and whir...both of those endings would be great bases of songs....oh well, I guess they fit where they are.
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    Homer Simpson / Smiling Politely
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • SlowFade wrote:
    sometimes they have these great outro's that should have been thier own songs....like the end of through the eyes of ruby, and whir...both of those endings would be great bases of songs....oh well, I guess they fit where they are.
    I feel the same way. The outros come out of left field for me, they go with the song but could be their own.

Anyone remember The End is the Beginning is the End? I fucking love that shit!
  • chikevinchikevin Posts: 421
    Chances are it's gonna fucking rock because Corgan is gonna come out and make these emo panzies look like shit.
    i expect more of him doing what he did on his 'solo' record. i call it 'solo' b/c it was just him and jimmy.

billy's too proud to go back to what he abandoned. that's why he's using the SP name...to try and get people to listen to him again.

don't get me wrong, i loved the guy...but he's gotta recognize what he's doing.
  • r1versr1vers Posts: 244
    "Stand Inside Your Love" has to be one of the greatest songs ever

hahah seriously. so epic.
    "Last time I think we played that song here was like, a long time ago, and there was a bonfire in the back and people were like throwing each other into it...very exciting days but a huge fucking relief that that's not how it is tonight..." Ed Irvine Night 1 2003, after Deep
  • One of my favourite bands, they are brilliant (it is weird not having to say that in past tense now).

I'm trying to keep my expectations not too high for the new album to avoid dissapointment.

Does anyone have news on about when they will release it? I can't seem to find any dates?
  • I-Am-Mine wrote:
    Does anyone have news on about when they will release it? I can't seem to find any dates?
    According to that man himself:

Q. Who's in the band?
    A. Not telling.

Q. When is the album coming out?
    A. Soon.

Q. What does it sound like?
    A. The Smashing Pumpkins.

Looks good to me so far :)
  • If you haven't already, I encourage you to listen to Pistachio Medley, it's on the Zero singe. It's 25 minutes worth of shorth clips of band demos, most of them rip roaring amazing riffs that any other band would have hailed as their greatest single ever. Billy was so prolific he just had to throw them all together and say F it, there's not enough time for my genius.