who's your favourite artist from the eighties?

Comments

• Guns N' Roses-Could have been the best band ever.
    Prince
    Metallica
    NWA-Best rap group ever.
    Ice-T
    Public Enemy
  • Three pages and no mention of these two obscure ones? :D
    Two of my favorites from that decade:
    Stevie Ray Vaughn and
    Talking Heads
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

My U2 obsession was probably the 80s equivalent of my 90s and 00s Pearl Jam obsession. :D
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • ajedigeckoajedigecko Posts: 2,430
    the cult and iron maiden............i still listen to them often.
    live and let live...unless it violates the pearligious doctrine.
  • Crowded House
    The Cure
    The Replacements
    Red Lorry Yellow Lorry
    when you get confused just listen to the music play........

"You damn well can't lick the system,but you can sure give it a good fondeling."-sleazy estate man(Hugh Laurie on A bit of Fry and Laurie)

"Judas Priest on a two stroke moped!"(Stephen Fry)
  • frankie goes to hollywood. RELAX lol
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,183
    U2 rockets to stardom

RUSH and my fascination with their musicmanship which started with the Grace Under Pressure Tour, S&A World Tour in 2008 a must see just play The Camera Eye for me.

XTC
    INXS
    ACDC
    Run DMC
    Echo and The Bunnyman
    Metallica
    Iron Maiden
    Talking Heads
    The Clash
    Genesis
    The Police
    Fugazi
    Def Leppard
    Van Halen
    Parliament Funkadelic
    Joe Satriani
    Prince

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• the police???!!
    the police???!!

What exactly do you mean? They're a band that was huge in the 80's then broke up. Here's a bit more on them in case you're unaware THE POLICE.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    g under p wrote:
    What exactly do you mean? They're a band that was huge in the 80's then broke up. Here's a bit more on them in case you're unaware THE POLICE.

Peace
    I counted them as a 1970's band...since they released stuff in that decade. They were awesome back in the day.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    Every decade had great music...wankers say.."ooh I love 60's music" meaning Gerry and the fuckin pace makers..but to me the 60's means the Doors, Love, Cream, Hendrix, Zeppelin...
    Same through the 80's..wankers go "ooh, 80's music, Wham, Duran Duran.." , I say fuck that, the 80's meant..Maiden, Scorpions, AC/DC, Ozzy, Saxon, and then the coming of Metallica..Master of Puppets in 1986 has never been bettered in terms of quality heavy metal.
    So, I love the 80's.
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
    tybird wrote:
    I counted them as a 1970's band...since they released stuff in that decade. They were awesome back in the day.

They released 2 albums in the 70's however most their more popular album and touring were done in the 80's. I saw them for the first time on their Ghost in the Machine Tour and to me that made them a 80's band in my eyes.

To me it's more on whether that particular band was popular in a particular decade or not. Not necessarly the decade they may have released certain albums or started touring.

Peace

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    jamie uk wrote:
    Every decade had great music...wankers say.."ooh I love 60's music" meaning Gerry and the fuckin pace makers..but to me the 60's means the Doors, Love, Cream, Hendrix, Zeppelin...
    Same through the 80's..wankers go "ooh, 80's music, Wham, Duran Duran.." , I say fuck that, the 80's meant..Maiden, Scorpions, AC/DC, Ozzy, Saxon, and then the coming of Metallica..Master of Puppets in 1986 has never been bettered in terms of quality heavy metal.
    So, I love the 80's.

you suck jamie. :p:D

i loved duran duran in THE 80s. but my fave was The Police. i was totally mad for anything Police related. and U2. so much so that the last U2 album i bought was WAR. :D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    you suck jamie. :p:D

i loved duran duran in THE 80s. but my fave was The Police. i was totally mad for anything Police related. and U2. so much so that the last U2 album i bought was WAR. :D

Well fuck you then.
    Duran Duran were pussy wankers..I hated their fancy arses. Police was ok, I liked them, and U2 didn't get going until the Joshua Tree.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    jamie uk wrote:
    Well fuck you then.
    Duran Duran were pussy wankers..I hated their fancy arses. Police was ok, I liked them, and U2 didn't get going until the Joshua Tree.

oooh harsh words. :p:D
    you mean to tell me even the girls on film video didnt do it for you? or were you too deep into metal fuckery then?
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    jamie uk wrote:
    Well fuck you then.

Nonsense, I beg to differ. They were well on their way in the 80's with performances like this in 1983 at the Us Festival with the song "Electric Co".

The "War" album got them a name then "The Unforgetable Fire" got them on the radio regularly then "Joshua Tree" took them to super stardom. "War" started it all and this performance was in January I believe then they started their "War World Tour" in March which I saw them in Norfolk, Va. the first show.

Peace

• Blimey, this is like asking, "What tooth would you enjoy having pulled the most?" You could only attempt to answer sincerely if you had no feeling, or were a masochist. :D
  • g under p wrote:

Peace

I wasnt sure if they were an 'eighties band' or whether they were a seventies band that were 'big' in the eighties??
    Can anyone clarify??

They were good though!
  • TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    The Clash

English Beat

The Replacements

New Order ......
    Yeah! :)

I met the English Beat guys this past summer!
    We stayed at the same motel they were at in NJ.
    They were very cool.
    And they were psyched I knew who they were.

Gene Loves Jezebel were awesome.
    Go Gos
    Culture Club :o
    Cyndi Lauper
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
    jamie uk wrote:
    Well fuck you then.
    :eek:

So, what you are saying is Duranx2 didn't do it for you? :)
    I liked them.
    And the Police
    And U2
  • zircona1zircona1 Posts: 293
    I like a lot of '80s music, but no one (I don't think) has mentioned Madonna.

She's not my favorite artist of the '80s, but her work in that decade, IMO, is her best. Borderline, Into the Groove, Live to Tell, Crazy For You, Like a Prayer, Papa Don't Preach, Open Your Heart - I love all those tunes.
    "As long as the music's loud enough, we won't hear the world falling apart."—Jubilee

"I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions." - George Carlin
    TrixieCat wrote:
    :eek:

So, what you are saying is Duranx2 didn't do it for you? :)
    I liked them.
    And the Police
    And U2
    The 80's was Adam and the ants, then ac/dc, Def leppard, then Metallica, Anthrax..Megadeth and Slayer....no Duran duran in my collection...sorry.
    jamie uk wrote:
    The 80's was Adam and the ants, then ac/dc, Def leppard, then Metallica, Anthrax..Megadeth and Slayer....no Duran duran in my collection...sorry.
    I liked def leppard too.
    Especially that song Foolin.

I would have killed to have seen them.
    They were huge here.
    TrixieCat wrote:
    I liked def leppard too.
    Especially that song Foolin.

I would have killed to have seen them.
    They were huge here.
    Well....as always, I have to say that I did see them, twice. 1986 Monsters of Rock festival, which was Ricks first gig after the accident, and very emotional. Back then they were still known as this English rock band, who were massive in the USA, but very much a cult band in Britain. Then I saw them as they finally broke the UK market in 1987, even surfed on the crowd..haha..then got yanked down by an over zealous security guard, and really hurt my back!! Memories.....
  • edvedder913edvedder913 Posts: 1,810
    The Smiths
    The Cure
    Adam Ant
    Billy Idol
    Echo and the Bunnymen (I knocked over Ian McCulloch's mic - and Ian almost - at Roseland after someone dared me to get up on stage) stupid teen! sooooooo embarassing :o
  • hguz73hguz73 Posts: 245
    The Pixies!!
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    TrixieCat wrote:
    Yeah! :)

I met the English Beat guys this past summer!
    We stayed at the same motel they were at in NJ.
    They were very cool.
    And they were psyched I knew who they were.

Who is in there from the original band? Is it just Dave Wakeling, or are there other orignal members too? Ranking Roger isn't in anymore, is he?
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
    zircona1 wrote:

She's not my favorite artist of the '80s, but her work in that decade, IMO, is her best. Borderline, Into the Groove, Live to Tell, Crazy For You, Like a Prayer, Papa Don't Preach, Open Your Heart - I love all those tunes.

Well.....I just hope you're a girl, cos if not...you have the musical taste of a raving gay fella.
    Saying that, maybe we should have something to indicate our gender on our nicknames.
    merkinball wrote:
    Who is in there from the original band? Is it just Dave Wakeling, or are there other orignal members too? Ranking Roger isn't in anymore, is he?

I've never heard of English Beat. We had a band called The Beat...but not English Beat, are they American??
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    zircona1 wrote:

The only girl pop singer that I can stand
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson