sleater-kinney modern girl

haashaas Posts: 46
edited May 2008 in Other Music
Just need a little help... anyone own this song... i have downloaded it severl times and it is distorted 2/3 of the way in... is this the song or am i getting a bad itunes download???
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Marie CurieMarie Curie Posts: 1,250
    The song is supposed to be this way
    “Life is life everywhere. Life is in ourselves and not outside us. There will be men beside me, and the important thing is to be a man among men and to remain a man always, whatever the misfortunes, not to despair and not to fall - that is the aim of life, that is its purpose.”
    Fyodor Dostoyevsky
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    That's part of the song...I think it is expressing how the picture isn't the whole story...something is brewing underneath. :)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    haas wrote:
    . i have downloaded it severl times and it is distorted 2/3 of the way in...

hahah thats funny...ive never really like that distortion there either.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • haashaas Posts: 46
    Ok so I get the prupose now... although I too dont like it in the song... Their live version isnt so....
  • memememe Posts: 4,695
    This is hilarious.

I was THIS close to buying a used S/K CD last weekend, but then decided against it :p
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
    meme wrote:
    This is hilarious.

I was THIS close to buying a used S/K CD last weekend, but then decided against it :p

The cd is good though.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • haashaas Posts: 46
    meme wrote:
    This is hilarious.

What stopped you?
    haas wrote:
    What stopped you?

Things like mid-song distortions ;)

I have tried pretty hard to like those girls, but I think I have given up :)
  • meme wrote:
    Things like mid-song distortions ;)

You mean it was that and not her voice that stopped you? :)
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
    You mean it was that and not her voice that stopped you? :)

I file her voice under mid-song distortions :p
  • ii44ii44 Posts: 430
    The production on the record is awful. Is had to be the loudest CD I own.
    ii44 wrote:

It's supposed to be loud!
    The Woods is an amazing album!
    “Life is life everywhere. Life is in ourselves and not outside us. There will be men beside me, and the important thing is to be a man among men and to remain a man always, whatever the misfortunes, not to despair and not to fall - that is the aim of life, that is its purpose.”
    Fyodor Dostoyevsky
  • ii44 wrote:

I think they were deliberately trying to make it as rough and abrasive as possible. After four or five albums of the same clean, polished production, they needed to shake it up.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • digsterdigster Posts: 1,293
    I think they were deliberately trying to make it as rough and abrasive as possible. After four or five albums of the same clean, polished production, they needed to shake it up.

This album has the good kind of distortion; you can hear that it was distorted because they had the amps heavily overdriven. It's not like the digital distortion you hear on Springsteen's Magic or Avocado, where they push the song into the red on the computer just so it'll be loud in comparison to everything on the radio.

Yes, yes, I got that but it's LOUD to the point that if I have my player on random I have to grab the switch and turn it down. Records that are like that sound bad.
  • ii44 wrote:
    Yes, yes, I got that but it's LOUD to the point that if I have my player on random I have to grab the switch and turn it down. Records that are like that loud sound bad.

Play it on vinyl, and it makes wonderful sense. :)
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    If i made a top 20 albums of 00's i would put the woods on it probably and i like a lot of music that has come out this decade.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    Play it on vinyl, and it makes wonderful sense. :)

I'm sure that'll be cheap and easy to find.
  • orig_long redorig_long red Posts: 2,029
    The Woods is an awesome album. If they had cocks instead of tits and vaginas, it would be considered one of the best rock albums of the past 20 years.
    Jam out with your clam out.
  • ii44 wrote:
    I'm sure that'll be cheap and easy to find.

I found it in Tower Records for 20 Euro. Not bad.
    ii44 wrote:
    Yes, yes, I got that but it's LOUD to the point that if I have my player on random I have to grab the switch and turn it down. Records that are like that sound bad.

double post
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    ii44 wrote:

Yeah, but there's a precedent for that in punk rock. I can remember songs by the Sex Pistols (I think?) that started so soft the first time you played the record you'd turn it way up and then, LOW AND BELHOLD THE DAMN SONG WOULD REALLY START AND IT WAS [size=+2]SO FUCKING LOUD!!!!!!!![/size] :D
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    justam wrote:
    Yeah, but there's a precedent for that in punk rock. I can remember songs by the Sex Pistols (I think?) that started so soft the first time you played the record you'd turn it way up and then, LOW AND BELHOLD THE DAMN SONG WOULD REALLY START AND IT WAS [size=+2]SO FUCKING LOUD!!!!!!!![/size] :D

I'm not talking about how heavy the music is or how much distortion they're playing with, I'm talking about the way the CD was mastered: loud as is loudness wars. For example, Soundgarden has nice quiet CDs; this is the opposite. It's far and away the loudest disc I own, even louder than Californication.
  • ii44 wrote:
    I'm not talking about how heavy the music is, I'm talking about the way the CD was mastered: loud as is loudness wars. Soundgarden has nice quiet CDs, this is the opposite. It's far and away the loudest disc I own, even louder than Californication.

I think what we're trying to say is that it wasn't part of the loudness war - it was a genuine stylistic choice. But I can respect that you don't like that choice. :)
    I think what we're trying to say is that it wasn't part of the loudness war - it was a genuine stylistic choice. But I can respect that you don't like that choice. :)

That surprises me. I love the songs but I hate the production. It's really taxing on the ears.

Take for example any good version of the Fox that you'd find on Youtube. It starts it with that heavy distorted riff and gets real real quiet during the verse, the contrast makes the song all the more powerful. You don't get that on the record and it really takes away from the song's impact. I just am rather surprised that this would be done on purpose.
  • ii44 wrote:
    That surprises me. I love the songs but I hate the production. It's really taxing on the ears.

For me, it's impossible to separate the songs from the production - that bleeding-ear volume is as much a part of The Fox as Corin's "Land ho". The steadily building distortions on Modern Girl reflect the narrator's worldview crumbling around her as much as the lyrics do.

The sad part is, they probably would have found a glorious medium between The Woods and One Beat if they had made one more record. :o
    ii44 wrote:

I didn`t like the production too when I first listened to the album, but I think it`s a matter of getting used to it. I absolutely love it now.
    Fyodor Dostoyevsky
  • digsterdigster Posts: 1,293
    ii44 wrote:
    I'm not talking about how heavy the music is or how much distortion they're playing with, I'm talking about the way the CD was mastered: loud as is loudness wars. For example, Soundgarden has nice quiet CDs; this is the opposite. It's far and away the loudest disc I own, even louder than Californication.

Funny, I've listened to The Woods many times, I don't hear it being a casualty of the Loudness Wars, as you put it. There's distortion, but it's natural distortion; I believe the entire album was made using analog equipment. I hear overdriven amps, not digital distortion. When I think of the loudness wars, I think of clipping and no differentiation between instruments; I hear none of that in The Woods; it's a loud and very abrasive rock record, but it doesn't grate on me in the sense that Magic, Avocado, and Accelerate by R.E.M. Those are just digitally mastered to compete with rock radio. I don't hear that in The Woods.
    For me, it's impossible to separate the songs from the production - that bleeding-ear volume is as much a part of The Fox as Corin's "Land ho". The steadily building distortions on Modern Girl reflect the narrator's worldview crumbling around her as much as the lyrics do.

The sad part is, they probably would have found a glorious medium between The Woods and One Beat if they had made one more record. :o

I understand the effects that song.