Options

Are there any Deadheads on this site??

pearlposterfanpearlposterfan Posts: 102
edited March 2006 in Other Music
Just curious if anyone out there is into the Grateful Dead (phil lesh & frds / ratdog) >?>?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    karma defectkarma defect Posts: 5,483
    Just curious if anyone out there is into the Grateful Dead (phil lesh & frds / ratdog) >?>?

I've seen a few. Seek and you will find.
    « One man's glory is another man's hell.
    You’re on the outside, never bound by such a spell.
    Together in the darkness, alone in the light.
    I took it upon me to be yours, Timmy,
    I’ll lead your angels and demons at play tonight......»
  • Options
    MilestoneMilestone Posts: 1,140
    Deadhead right here.
    11-2-2000 Portland. 12-8-2002 Seattle. 4-18-2003 Nashville. 5-30-2003 Vancouver. 10-25-2003 Bridge School. 9-2-2005 Vancouver.
    7-6-2006 Las Vegas. 7-20-2006 Portland. 7-22-2006 Gorge. 9-21-2009 Seattle. 9-22-2009 Seattle. 9-26-2009 Ridgefield. 9-25-2011 Vancouver.
    11-29-2013 Portland. 10-16-2014 Detroit. 8-8-2018 Seattle. 8-10-2018 Seattle. 8-13-2018 Missoula.  5-10-2024 Portland.  5-30-2024 Seattle.
  • Options
    me too....
  • Options
    Now what did I tell you?

Seek and you will find.
  • Options
    love em - seen the dead 2 times and Phil and friends, Further Fest, etc....awesome....
  • Options
    Huh cool

You know at 1st I wasnt a big PJ fan, but then a professor turned me onto them and I just had to listen...lol...
  • Options
    Huh cool

You know at 1st I wasnt a big PJ fan, but then a professor turned me onto them and I just had to listen...lol...

I didn't like them at first either. Although I really didn't like Nirvana. That was mostly the fault of some nitwit in my class who adored theme both as if they were boybands.

I only jumped on board until the hype was a bit over. No code did it for me, still like it the best.
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 14,002
    deadhead ever since i was little kid, father got me into them.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    culot4culot4 Posts: 775
    I have never been able to duplicate the fun I've had seeing the Dead from any other band...even PJ. Went to 25 shows from 1991-1995 and was lucky enough to see Jerry one last time in June 1995 6 short weeks before his passing. 60-70,000 fans at any given show and everyone was your friend. It was beautiful and I miss it. On that note I think I'll throw in some St. Stephen.
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
  • Options
    merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    culot4 wrote:
    I have never been able to duplicate the fun I've had seeing the Dead from any other band...even PJ. Went to 25 shows from 1991-1995 and was lucky enough to see Jerry one last time in June 1995 6 short weeks before his passing. 60-70,000 fans at any given show and everyone was your friend. It was beautiful and I miss it. On that note I think I'll throw in some St. Stephen.

Yeah, I'll agree. I was listening to a show from 3/28/86 today, and there are some points (Iko Iko leads off the show, Franklin's Tower kicks it into overdrive) where you can feel that vibe of the collective audience. Saw the Dead probably about the same amount of times (20-25) with Jerry, starting in '87, along with the JGB, Ratdog, the Dead, and Mickey Harts solo projects. None of the other incarnations have been the same since Jerry passed though, and I definately miss it as well. Think I'll listen to Mission in the Rain.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • Options
    Bob WeirBob Weir Posts: 850
    Deadhead right here,I was a little to young to see them(15 when Jerry died) but I have Seen The Other Ones,"The Dead",and Phil and friends over 30 times,and I would go as far to say that The "Q" was the best band I've ever seen live(including PJ),and I know it's not the same as the Grateful Dead but musically I think they are a much better band,playing from pretty much the same songbook as the Dead but taking it in a whole new direction.It was a shame to see Phil and Jimmy Herring part ways but rumors are flying about a Dead reunion this summer and hopefully at least Warren will be there.

and I almost forgot Ratdog Sucks.
    I need a fix 'cause I'm going down
  • Options
    Deadhead right here.

Phil Lesh, Ratdog, The Grateful Dead, and now just the plain Dead all are amazing

Anyone listed to their local grateful dead hour?
  • Options
    SteveoSteveo Posts: 352
    Woo Ratdog Or Stfu!!
    Life has nothing to do with killing time.
    So why be satisfied?
  • Options
    ramspamramspam Posts: 130
    I wouldn't consider myself a deadhead but I got American Beauty on Vinyl a couple of months back, my first record ever. Its so awesome! And Live/Dead the other day which I'm listening to now and loving
    Only fools have signatures...

+--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour:Member #20-+--+
  • Options
    adam42381adam42381 Kernersville, NC Posts: 2,505
    I'm not a deadhead though I do own a few cds. Personally, their first album - Grateful Dead (1967) is one of my favorite albums of all time. How this gets no love I don't understand. Deadheads explain...
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    RubRub Posts: 39
    Big Grateful Dead fan. Saw them live 5x with Jerry, 1 Further Festival and The Dead 2x. I know most DeadHeads would find this sacreligious, but as much as I love the Dead, I'm not a fan of any of the side projects. In fact, the 1 Further Festival show I saw was one of the worst concert experiences I've ever had. I really enjoyed the Dead shows 2 and 3 years ago... does anyone know if they will tour this summer?
    9/28/96 Randall's Island - 8/29/98 Camden - 9/11/98 NYC - 8/23/00 & 8/24/00 Jones Beach - 4/30/03 Uniondale - 7/5/03 Camden - 7/8/03 & 7/9/03 MSG - 7/14/03 Holmdel - 10/3/05 Philly - 5/28/06 Camden - 6/1/06 & 6/3/06 E Rutherford - 06/24/08 MSG - 10/30/09 Philly - 5/20/10 MSG - 10/22/13 Philly - 4/29/16 Philly (Ten) - 9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    i remember seeing the jerry garcia band for the first time in 1991 at the war memorial in rochester...by then i was already aware, but still, nothing could have prepared me for that experience...

11-20-1991 Rochester War Memorial Auditorium, Rochester, NY
    Set 1
    Cats Under The Stars
    Stop That Train
    Money Honey
    Simple Twist Of Fate
    Lay Down Sally
    Like A Road
    Deal

Set 2
    The Way You Do The Things You Do
    Waiting For A Miracle
    Shining Star
    Ain't No Bread In The Breadbox
    Night They Drove Old Dixie Down
    Tangled Up In Blue
    Encore
    (What A) Wonderful World
  • Options
    Rub wrote:
    Big Grateful Dead fan. Saw them live 5x with Jerry, 1 Further Festival and The Dead 2x. I know most DeadHeads would find this sacreligious, but as much as I love the Dead, I'm not a fan of any of the side projects. In fact, the 1 Further Festival show I saw was one of the worst concert experiences I've ever had. I really enjoyed the Dead shows 2 and 3 years ago... does anyone know if they will tour this summer?

Most of the post-dead projects have been disappointing for sure. The magic wasn't there on the one 'Dead' show I saw. The songs were good, but it was more nostalgic than anything else. Warren opened up solo, and did a solo Stella Blue that was far and above the best song of the night. Ratdog I think is ok, but not great. Bobs voice is really starting to get shot. I like what I hear from Phil (Haven't seen him on his own), but at least he mixes up who he plays with.

But I'll tell you, every time I've seen a solo project from Mickey Hart, it doesn't dissapoint. The drum tours are excellent (saw him once after Planet Drum came out, and once after Supralinga), and I thought the stuff he did with Hydra (with Particle, I think) were cool, very different. Mystery Box is one of my favorite releases period.

And the few times I've seen Hornsby have been pretty good too.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

• Options
    drew0drew0 Posts: 943
    You could call me one. A new one, that's still in high school. :)
    Pittsburgh 6/23/06
    Madison Square Garden 6/25/08
  • Options
    momofglynnmomofglynn Posts: 849
    Of seeing the Grateful Dead numerous times including 6 nights at the Garden!
    I have seen JGB 4 times.
    Phil & Friends twice.
    and Rat Dog a couple of times. Including the night Jerry died.
    and then The Dead once.

Love them. Miss the old time feeling.

I have worked a couple of times at the Orphuem in Boston when Rat Dog played. I would check tickets, I actually asked Rob Wasserman for his ticket. I felt like such a jerk after that but got over it quickly once the show started.
    Let's Go Red Sox!
  • Options
    merkinball wrote:
    But I'll tell you, every time I've seen a solo project from Mickey Hart, it doesn't dissapoint. The drum tours are excellent (saw him once after Planet Drum came out, and once after Supralinga), and I thought the stuff he did with Hydra (with Particle, I think) were cool, very different. Mystery Box is one of my favorite releases period.
    Thanks for the info. I'll have to check that out. Nobody responded to my question of whether or not the will tour this summer. I don't even know where to search for the answer.

Funny, I think I've seen a thread or two like this in the past. I guess it keeps coming up because both the Dead and PJ share that similar Jam Band "play what you like" philosophy on tour.

However, each band's music is so different, and the majority of the fan base seems different at some level. Yet there is something beyond the "jam factor" that must attract a similar core audience. Any thoughts?
    9/28/96 Randall's Island - 8/29/98 Camden - 9/11/98 NYC - 8/23/00 & 8/24/00 Jones Beach - 4/30/03 Uniondale - 7/5/03 Camden - 7/8/03 & 7/9/03 MSG - 7/14/03 Holmdel - 10/3/05 Philly - 5/28/06 Camden - 6/1/06 & 6/3/06 E Rutherford - 06/24/08 MSG - 10/30/09 Philly - 5/20/10 MSG - 10/22/13 Philly - 4/29/16 Philly (Ten) - 9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    Rub wrote:
    Nobody responded to my question of whether or not the will tour this summer. I don't even know where to search for the answer.
    There are rumors of a summer reunion,a couple good sites for info are:

http://www.dead.net
    http://www.philzone.com
    http://www.phillesh.net

As for the only proof I can give,from Philzone:

The Dead Dead? Maybe Not?
    On Feb. 10th, Phil said on Sirius Satellite Radio the Dead is talking about doing a few reunion Terrapin style shows this summer! Then on Feb. 14, Warren was on & mentioned he was invited this Summer! Rumor has it there may be a Terrapin Festival somewhere in upstate NY... The Dead would probably be too big for the Gathering of the Vibes (8.17-20 in Mariaville, NY), but it's a possibility. Until we hear more, keep the faith!
  • Options
    Bob Weir wrote:
    There are rumors of a summer reunion,a couple good sites for info are:

http://www.dead.net
    http://www.philzone.com
    http://www.phillesh.net

As for the only proof I can give,from Philzone:

The Dead Dead? Maybe Not?
    On Feb. 10th, Phil said on Sirius Satellite Radio the Dead is talking about doing a few reunion Terrapin style shows this summer! Then on Feb. 14, Warren was on & mentioned he was invited this Summer! Rumor has it there may be a Terrapin Festival somewhere in upstate NY... The Dead would probably be too big for the Gathering of the Vibes (8.17-20 in Mariaville, NY), but it's a possibility. Until we hear more, keep the faith!

Thanks for the info. I've checked out dead.net but didn't see anything, however, that is encouraging news.
  • Options
    Rub wrote:
    Thanks for the info. I've checked out dead.net but didn't see anything, however, that is encouraging news.
    If you check the forums on philzone you can sometimes get the info before it is announced.
  • Options
    Rub wrote:
    However, each band's music is so different, and the majority of the fan base seems different at some level. Yet there is something beyond the "jam factor" that must attract a similar core audience. Any thoughts?

I think the similarity (for me at least) is that each member of the group is in it for the music, and they are into it as a group, much like the GD was. Theres a connection with the audience through the music and the message, and although neither band interacts directly with their audience (for the most part), they try to make the experience as unique for each audience as possible.

From my perspective, there is an honesty in what PJ is doing, trying to forge their own message and sound, that the Dead had too.

• Options
    merkinball wrote:
    ...From my perspective, there is an honesty in what PJ is doing, trying to forge their own message and sound, that the Dead had too.

i totally agree with this

integrity is another word that comes to mind when i think of both bands
  • Options

big time. ever listen to brown-eyed women 1,000 times in a row, each one a different live version? i have.... notice my name
  • Options
    I actually put the dead and pearl jam in the same category as well. they both are on top of the greatest American rock bands list for me and they both seem to survive thanks to a very dedicated fan base and they loovve live performances. jerry garcia once said that making a record in the studio is like building a boat in a bottle, but a live performance is like taking that boat out to sea. i think vedder and company would agree with that.
  • Options
    merkinball wrote:
    I think the similarity (for me at least) is that each member of the group is in it for the music, and they are into it as a group, much like the GD was. Theres a connection with the audience through the music and the message, and although neither band interacts directly with their audience (for the most part), they try to make the experience as unique for each audience as possible.

From my perspective, there is an honesty in what PJ is doing, trying to forge their own message and sound, that the Dead had too.

Wow, very deep. I was thinking it was the fun tailgating scene (just kidding).

I totally agree, especially with the effort to make each concert experience as unique as possible. I've seen so many bands from small venues to big stadiums and its always a big disappointment when you realize its the same show in every venue. There really is something to be said about the talent it takes to be able to play any number of songs from a large catalogue as well as surprise covers. The only exception may have been Pink Floyd only because the "show" they put on was so good. However, I've seen a Floyd cover band without a pre-determined set list that was almost as equally enjoyable.

I also agree with Gentle Jack Jones in that both the GD and PJ are two of the greatest American rock bands in history. While each band's studio efforts could qualify them for that statement, it is really their live performances that cements it for me. And when you think of other great American rock bands, most are either no longer together or no longer relevant. I would have to imagine it is the live performances that keeps the fan base so dedicated.
  • Options
    Rub wrote:
    Wow, very deep. I was thinking it was the fun tailgating scene (just kidding).

Yeah, I was going to end my post with something about maybe it just being hippie ramblings, but I chose not too. It was great when the Dead would pull into town for a full weekend (for a lot of shows they'd do a Friday/Saturday/Sunday run at the same place), and the little town would get setup.