Options

Slint

13»

Comments

• Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    It's a masterpiece.

Are we talkng about Laughing Stock or Spiderland?

Because they both are, if you ask me. Oh man time to spend all afternoon listening to Laughing Stock. TIme to want to bear Mark Hollis' babies again
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    karma defectkarma defect Posts: 5,483
    viggs20 wrote:
    I think I need to bring some sanity in this discussion...Spiderland is a very good album no doubt but don't think it quite falls in the masterpiece category. And I've said this before but Pink Floyd could just as well be credited for spawning post-rock...maybe it didn't happen as immediately as with Slint but I hear more post-rock in 'A Saucerful of Secrets' or 'Careful With That Axe, Eugene' than I hear in 'Good Morning, Captain.'
    I think mookeywrench got it spot on earlier in this thread when he said

And while I'm at it let me say that Talk Talk just plain sucks. I tried a lot to hear whats so great about Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock but there is nothing. Its just some meandering and noodling around without any buil-up or break-down and it goes nowhere.

I would have to say it is an absolute masterpiece to me. The lofi recording only adds to the attraction and mistery. I don't know about the Flod stuff you spoke about. But I have never heard anything from Pink Floyd that made me think hey this is post rock. It is all way to clean and well produced to be anywhere near post rock. Lofi is something that seems key in post rock. at least for me.
    « One man's glory is another man's hell.
    You’re on the outside, never bound by such a spell.
    Together in the darkness, alone in the light.
    I took it upon me to be yours, Timmy,
    I’ll lead your angels and demons at play tonight......»
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I would have to say it is an absolute masterpiece to me. The lofi recording only adds to the attraction and mistery. I don't know about the Flod stuff you spoke about. But I have never heard anything from Pink Floyd that made me think hey this is post rock. It is all way to clean and well produced to be anywhere near post rock. Lofi is something that seems key in post rock. at least for me.

I'm not one that is very good with genre's but wouldn't you say mogwai, sigur ros, and godspeed you! black emporer were post rock?

I think they all have very clean well produced sounds.

I'm hoping to pick up spiderland this weekend and check it out.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    intodeep wrote:
    I'm not one that is very good with genre's but wouldn't you say mogwai, sigur ros, and godspeed you! black emporer were post rock?

I think they all have very clean well produced sounds.

I'm hoping to pick up spiderland this weekend and check it out.

Some call it that yes. I never thought of them as Post rock. But I am not really good at it myself, nor do I really care that much for it. They are all great bands. Slint, Mogwai, who cares what sticker there is placed on the music!
    My point was that Spiderland is an absolute masterpiece.
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I have not had a good chance to digest the album i've only listened to it twice all the way through and started in on my thrid time. It is good and i enjoy it. Not sure i'll call it a masterpiece, but albums i usually enjoy that much never sound like that when i first hear them.

I'm glad i got it. I think nosfurtu man is an awesome song.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    intodeep wrote:
    I have not had a good chance to digest the album i've only listened to it twice all the way through and started in on my thrid time. It is good and i enjoy it. Not sure i'll call it a masterpiece, but albums i usually enjoy that much never sound like that when i first hear them.

I'm glad i got it. I think nosfurtu man is an awesome song.

Yes that one is suberb.