***Official Please Play The South Petition***

Comments

• tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Quit saying dirty south. Last time I checked PJ wasn't a rap group...
    Rap and the Dirty South?? I don't get the connection...my rap knowledge doesn't go any deeper than Public Enemy or Ice-T.....Rhinomagic is 100% correct..my (and ours) use of the phrase, "The Dirty South", is related to one of the hardest working bands in the business, The Drive-by Truckers."

Dangerboy, we cool. Please always remember what they say about the best laid plans of mice and men.....JTR is being truthful based on what he knows, and Pearl Jam is a big business that can change its plans based on a dime. As in any business, all of the partners may not be on the same page at the same time.

Spalma, thanks for your continued coolness.

The Dirty South...who will end up with our records, who will end up with our tapes???
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • rhinomagicrhinomagic Posts: 2,549
    tybird wrote:
    The Dirty South...who will end up with our records, who will end up with our tapes???

"You can have my records when you pry them from my cold, dead hands."

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • JTRJTR Posts: 347
    I did learn my lesson last year not to say anything until I have it in my hands. All I want to say on this is that I hope no one felt somehow I was TRYING to string people along for kicks, I really had been told it was coming. I think that is the important point. It was absolutely nothing intentional. I am certain if we all could ever get together over a cold beer this would all iron right out.

Next time, instead of being cagey, I will wait until I have something very concrete in my hands that I can e-mail out.

Can we move on to something positive?

Like a TenClub Ryman show? (stop!!)

JR
  • SPALMASPALMA Posts: 2,279
    Hey, it was fun dammit.

playthedirtysouth
    tourthedurtysouth
    "I don't want to hear any splatty tongues!"
    J.M., Jr. High Band Teacher

I raise my Freak Flag High!!
  • JTRJTR Posts: 347
    I will tell you that I sat a row below Kelly Curtis at the Vic Theater show and I asked him plans for 2008 and he said "a festival or two, maybe some political stuff, and an Ed solo tour - that's about it until they put together some material".
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,445
    JTR wrote:

My information comes directly from one member of the band who plays rhythm guitar

OH I BELIEVE YOU.....

just like i believe in santa claus...the easter bunny...and the tooth fairy...

i also believe Mike Mccready is going to come over to my house this evening and share his recipe for tuna noodle casserole with me and the wife.....
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
    no surprises there.

Have fun all you lucky ones going to bonaroo.

playthesouth
    tourthesouth

• dangerboydangerboy Posts: 1,569
    SPALMA wrote:
    Thank you Ty.

Chapped lips does not equal abundant ass kissing.

Pearl Jam owes us (the dirtysouth) an apology.

Dangerboy, I think we give everyone on this thread the benefit of the doubt. We know that PJ did make moves to play the south at some point and back pedaled out of it. Reports came from various people - (including me thru a local guy in radio who had NEVER steered me wrong before).

Ther is no need to single any one person out to call bullshit. It was a frustrating time, but I believe no one was being malicious. We were all just surprised by PJ's apparent fickleness and angered by the BAND's lack of communication. I blame the band for settling for corporate decisions.

JTR's games were actually fun... I did not take offense. Nor did I actually pin any hopes to benefit by his influence or contacts.

I supposed I am ever more guarded when dealing with electronic personas... it is not exactly real. All the more reason to make that personal contact and break those barriers - perhaps at a concert

(It may just have to be a Drive-By-Truckers concert)

playthedirtysouth
    tourthedirtysouth

i understand where y'all are coming from, i only hope you get where i'm coming from...

i will say that the only reason i single out jtr is because he singled himself out. claimed that his info was unimpeachable. demanded apologies when all his info turned out to be true (which it never did). promised to do this and that and renegged. he upped the expectation bar himself. i think when someone does this, it's only right to hold their feet to the fire...

maybe i'm alone. maybe it was just me who rode his emotional roller coaster only to be let down time and time again. i can drop it if everyone would rather i did, and just keep it to myself

ebay isn't evil people are

The South is Much Obliged
  • MakingWavesMakingWaves Posts: 1,293
    JTR wrote:
    I did learn my lesson last year not to say anything until I have it in my hands. All I want to say on this is that I hope no one felt somehow I was TRYING to string people along for kicks, I really had been told it was coming. I think that is the important point. It was absolutely nothing intentional. I am certain if we all could ever get together over a cold beer this would all iron right out.

Next time, instead of being cagey, I will wait until I have something very concrete in my hands that I can e-mail out.

Can we move on to something positive?

Like a TenClub Ryman show? (stop!!)

JR

Long time no post so I figured I would say hello after reading this past weeks posts. Last year was fun and a disappointment but I don't think anyone in here is trying or ever tried to deceive anyone.
    So moving on to more positive things sounds good...but not as good as a Ten Club show at the Ryman sounds. Now that would be cool.
    Seeing visions of falling up somehow.

Pensacola '94
    New Orleans '95
    Birmingham '98
    New Orleans '00
    New Orleans '03
    Tampa '08
    New Orleans '10 - Jazzfest
    New Orleans '16 - Jazzfest
    Fenway Park '18
    St. Louis '22
    dangerboy wrote:
    i understand where y'all are coming from, i only hope you get where i'm coming from...

i will say that the only reason i single out jtr is because he singled himself out. claimed that his info was unimpeachable. demanded apologies when all his info turned out to be true (which it never did). promised to do this and that and renegged. he upped the expectation bar himself. i think when someone does this, it's only right to hold their feet to the fire...

maybe i'm alone. maybe it was just me who rode his emotional roller coaster only to be let down time and time again. i can drop it if everyone would rather i did, and just keep it to myself

Take JR (the man) out of the equation and see that we all share the same traits. We all participated... and it was not all bad.

We all rode the rollercoaster, we all shared what info/hopes we had, we all wanted it so badly we wanted to believe. We are human. And we forgive.

The band's corporate whoreness created this situation to begin with. I can say this because I am a corporate whore too. We make decisions that we hate - for the "right" reasons. The band did what they did - I just hope they learned from it.

Meanwhile, I'll check out some other local bands until Pearl Jam comes to us.

tourthesouth

:D

Shit, Ryman auditorium?? I can't go out of state for a long while.
    Now that hurts.

PLAYFUCKINGFLORIDA -WILLYA?

• CapstonerCapstoner Posts: 727
    play the south

play the ATL

thanks for bonnaroo
    Atlanta 92
    Columbia 08
    Atlanta 12
    Charlotte 13
    St Louis 14
    Greenville 16
    St Louis 22
    Seattle 24
    OH I BELIEVE YOU.....

just like i believe in santa claus...the easter bunny...and the tooth fairy...

i also believe Mike Mccready is going to come over to my house this evening and share his recipe for tuna noodle casserole with me and the wife.....
    Surprise. He's telling the truth.

The Dirty South. Where the devil don't stay.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
    page 2 bump

playthedirtysouth
    tourthedirtysouth

The Dirty South Who will mow the cemetery????
    Who will stand there taking credit, who will lay there passing blame?

playthedirtysouth
    tourthedirtysouth

• LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    Jeff, come on down to the South for your birthday- we'll show you a good time!

play the south

play Florida

announce a southern tour

can't wait for Bonnaroo!!!!
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
    The mere mention of the Ryman Auditorium reminds of when I first imagined Pearl Jam playing there.

It would be one of the most significant shows they could play in the South, in my opinion.

Make this happen (as part of a Southern Tour).

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    SPALMA wrote:
    Who will stand there taking credit, who will lay there passing blame?

playthedirtysouth
    tourthedirtysouth
    :D My wife's favorite DBT song:D

The Dirty South We don't pass the blame.
  • AtlantaJammerAtlantaJammer Posts: 2,611
    rhinomagic wrote:
    Point taken.

However, I think you would be wise to understand that tybird (and many others of us here) enjoy the music of the Drive-By Truckers. Said band happens to have a cd entitled The Dirty South. Give it a spin and see if you don't dig it the most.

The Dirty South...it ain't braggin' if it's true.

My sincere appologies. That phrase just gets OLD living here in atlanta. And I will check the album out for sure.
    My sincere appologies. That phrase just gets OLD living here in atlanta. And I will check the album out for sure.
    No problem....the band is actually based out of Athens....just up the road from 'ya.

The Dirty South See Ruby Falls.
    tybird wrote:
    No problem....the band is actually based out of Athens....just up the road from 'ya.

The Dirty South See Ruby Falls.

Doesn't DBT have soom roots in Huntsville/North AL? I thought I remembered that from somewhere way back.

"Hell no, we ain't happy" without Pearl Jam shows.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    rhinomagic wrote:
    Doesn't DBT have soom roots in Huntsville/North AL? I thought I remembered that from somewhere way back.

"Hell no, we ain't happy" without Pearl Jam shows.

Shonna, Patterson and Cooley are all from Northeast Alabama...as was Jason. They're from the Quad cities area which includes Muscle Shoals...famous for its recording studios.

The Dirty South Home of that Muscle Shoals sound.
    tybird wrote:
    Shonna, Patterson and Cooley are all from Northeast Alabama...as was Jason. They're from the Quad cities area which includes Muscle Shoals...famous for its recording studios.

The Dirty South Home of that Muscle Shoals sound.

Ah, yes. Muscle Shoals. But that's northWEST, isn't it? I grew up in north MS and we made field trips to Helen Keller's home and the Quad Cities.

According to wikipedia, Patterson Hood's father played bass in the Muscle Shoals Sound Rhythm Section.

But give me Stax Records and the Memphis sound anyday, in terms of a vintage Southern music scene.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    rhinomagic wrote:
    Ah, yes. Muscle Shoals. But that's northWEST, isn't it? I grew up in north MS and we made field trips to Helen Keller's home and the Quad Cities.

According to wikipedia, Patterson Hood's father played bass in the Muscle Shoals Sound Rhythm Section.

But give me Stax Records and the Memphis sound anyday, in terms of a vintage Southern music scene.

Damn....I meant northwest, but typed northeast....you are correct. I can drive there all day, but I misspoke when it came to giving directions. :rolleyes:

Minus 5 points for the bird.

The Dirty South...where American music was born.
  • pathorsespathorses Posts: 319
    dangerboy wrote:

No, you are not alone, I shared (share) your feelings. It's tough getting your hopes up like that and then getting shut out. I built a bridge about the tour (I'm still pissed but not so much) so I guess I can get over JTR as well. Maybe a cold beer together would help ALL of us out. So,

PLAY THE SOUTH THIS YEAR!!!!!!!
    SO WE CAN ALL MEET AND ENJOY!!

Pat
    Atlanta 3/94
    Charleston 10/96
    Greenville 4/98
    Charlotte 8/00
    Charlotte 4/03
    Gorge I & II 7/06
    Columbia 6/08
    Jazz Festival 5/10
    Noblesville 5/10
  • stonegstoneg Posts: 1,940
    play the south
    Ft. Lauderdale 96'
    Tampa 00'
    West Palm Beach 03'
    House of Blues 03'
    Tampa 03'
    Kissimmee 04'
    West Palm Beach 08'
    Tampa 08'
    Eddie Vedder Clearwater both nights 2012
  • dangerboydangerboy Posts: 1,569
    confirm the tentative south!

*tennessee*(june12-15)*

*?texas?(sept 26-28)?

louisiana

mississippi

alabama

georgia

florida

south carolina

*?north carolina?(june)?

virginia

ebay isn't evil people are

The South is Much Obliged
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    play the south

play Florida

announce a southern tour

can't wait for Bonnaroo!!!!
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
    The Dirty South...because nobody does it better, makes me feel sad for the rest. :)