***Official Please Play The South Petition***

Comments

• This is from TSIS. A great recount of an amazing night, and the last time I saw PJ. Enjoy :) Atlanta rocks indeed.

04/19/03 - Hi Fi Buys Amphitheater: Atlanta, GA
    support act: Sparta
    set: Love Boat Captain, Corduroy, Save You, Hail Hail, Grievance, Elderly Woman, Even Flow, 1/2 Full, Thumbing My Way, I Am Mine, Insignificance, Glorified G, Present Tense, Animal, State of Love and Trust, Blood
    enc 1: Crown Of Thorns, Black, Alive, Porch
    enc 2: You've Got to Hide Your Love Away, Crazy Mary, Baba O'Riley, Yellow Ledbetter
    notes: 'Corduroy' has a lyric change to "Can't buy what I want because it's PEACE." 'Grievance' lyric changes are "I would like to taste every Georgian I see" and “I want my free speech.”
    Before 'Elderly Woman,' Ed mentions fond memories of Atlanta and how they had been looking forward to this show. He says they got a call on a cell phone from the people behind the large American flag that folks in the crowd are holding up ... "it's not that they are being unpatriotic; they just can't see anything ... they're being blinded by the flag if you know what I mean." 'You Are' is attempted twice after 'Thumbing My Way,' but Stone has technical problems with the sound and says, "We'll see if we can get that one sorted out," but it never resurfaces. Ed says, "That song we just attempted to play is a love song written by Matt Cameron; this one was written by me. When Matt writes a love song it's about someone else. When I write a love song I write it about myself. This song's about claiming your own personal space and that that's okay," leading to 'I Am Mine.' Before 'Glorified G,' Ed notes, "This is another song in the Pearl Jam catalog that has to do with weaponry." 'Present Tense' is introduced as "a song we haven't played for a long, long time. We're gonna give it a try." Amazing. At the top of the first encore, Ed thanks Atlanta and refers to 'Olympic Platinum' (from the '96 fan club single): "We didn't know if you'd let us back after that one." He says they are making it up as they go, leading to 'Crown of Thorns,' with Brendan O'Brien on keyboards and a nice jam in the middle. Stone hits a wrong note at the start of 'Alive,' causing the band to create a little crazy musical dissonance before going into a proper version of 'Alive.' Four guys in the crowd wearing Bush masks are noticed by Mike and they are pointed out with a security flashlight. During 'Porch,' they are brought up on stage, each individually introduced as "George Bush Jr. and friends of Ed's. Ed says, "We're all looking for support, we all want support" and the four boost Ed up above their heads and the band returns from the 'Porch' jam to "hear my name, take a good look ..." with Ed being held high with the four "Bush's." Hilarious! After the encore break, Ed says, "I probably shouldn't tell you this because it's an issue of national security, but the Bush's are partying backstage, pretty heavy. It's historical. It's the first time we've ever had cocaine backstage at a Pearl Jam show ... You know it's nice to be supported by our government, that felt good." Ed continues about cutting the Veteran's Administration Fund. "I support the troops. I want them to stay alive. I want them to be well paid. And I want them to get their healthcare paid for. Their kid's education paid for. While we're at it, let's pay teachers more. They're on the forefront. I'd say an education is pretty good ammunition to face the world with. We weren't even going to say anything tonight, but someone brought the flag and a few other things. That's freedom of speech there. We're all just practicing freedom of speech. It seems to be working out all right, let's just keep it alive." Ed's lovely solo version of 'You've Got to Hide Your Love Away' is followed by the 'Crazy Mary,' 'Baba O'Riley,' 'Yellow Ledbetter' punch, with the band having a great time. The last half of the show is full of extended rocking jams and crowd interaction. "Thank you, Georgia. Atlanta rocks!"
  • They will play the south! and heres why:
    2003-04-16 Charlotte North Carolina Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre
    1998-09-01 Atlanta Georgia Lakewood Amphitheatre
    1998-08-31 Raleigh North Carolina Walnut Creek Amphitheatre
    1998-09-04 Greenville South Carolina Bi-Lo Center
    1996-10-04 Charlotte North Carolina Memorial Stadium FUCKIN SMOKIN SHOW the crowd was awesome
    1996-10-05 Charleston South Carolina N. Charleston Coliseum
    1996-10-07 Ft. Lauderdale Florida F.L. Baseball Stadium
    1995-09-17 New Orleans Louisiana Tad Gormley Stadium
    1995-09-16 Austin Texas South Park Meadows HOLY S**T!!!!!!

1994-04-03 Atlanta Georgia Fox Theater
    1994-04-02 Atlanta Georgia Fox Theater WHAT CAN I SAY!
    1994-03-26 Murfreesboro Tennessee Murphy Athletic Center A little diamond!
    1993-11-19 New Orleans Louisiana UNO Lakefront Arena
    1993-11-17 New Orleans Louisiana UNO Lakefront Arena
    1993-11-16 New Orleans Louisiana UNO Lakefront Arena
    1992-04-20 New Orleans Louisiana Tipitinas tasted green with ed ved!
    1992-04-16 Athens Georgia Legion Field, University of Georgia
    1991-10-14 Chapel Hill North Carolina Cat's Cradle

SPALMA its just the shows i saw and had great energy thats all-never seen them in fla.
    “It’s the idea that people living close to nature tend to be noble. It’s seeing all those sunsets that does it. You can’t watch a sunset and then go off and set fire to your neighbor’s tepee. Living close to nature is wonderful for your mental health.”

Daniel Quinn
  • SPALMASPALMA Posts: 2,279
    SPALMA its just the shows i saw and had great energy thats all-never seen them in fla.

Oh sorry! impressive :)
    "I don't want to hear any splatty tongues!"
    J.M., Jr. High Band Teacher

I raise my Freak Flag High!!
  • FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    no way that this should be so low on page :D

WOOOOOOOOOOT
  • NCBRINCBRI Posts: 1,902
    for the night owls
    Brian
  • moe0227moe0227 Posts: 21
    bump
  • DELETEDDELETED Posts: 421
    Hahaha, night owls unite!!! And as of right now, it's 5:45 AM ...And I'm barley holding my eyes open....ugh....
  • stonegstoneg Posts: 1,940
    It's 6:15 and making sure we are at the top.
    Ft. Lauderdale 96'
    Tampa 00'
    West Palm Beach 03'
    House of Blues 03'
    Tampa 03'
    Kissimmee 04'
    West Palm Beach 08'
    Tampa 08'
    Eddie Vedder Clearwater both nights 2012
    Ahhh, 7:41am and making damn sure we're on top!!!! lmao...I swear I have not slept at all last night, er morning and I feel like shit, lol
  • yield2meyield2me Posts: 1,291
    I need to see Pearl Jam really fucking soon!! Killing me here...
    “May you live to be 100 and may the last voice you hear be mine.” - Frank Sinatra
  • NCBRINCBRI Posts: 1,902
    I just heard I Got Shit on the radio. Reminds me of hearing it live in Raleigh 2003. OK that's that as far as mindless dribble of an excuse to bump THE thread.

~ PLAY THE SOUTH ~
    ~ PLAY THE SOUTH ~
    ~ PLAY THE SOUTH ~

while we're young, no, seriously
    Brian
  • MakingWavesMakingWaves Posts: 1,293
    yield2me wrote:
    I felt the same way when I heard the news, but the more I thought about it the more I think it is a good thing. Any touring or movement going on with the band is a good sign. Keep the faith! They won't forget us...I'm hoping for a handfull of dates in the south this spring before the Europe shows.

You are right. The keeping the faith attitude is back and hoping we here something soon.
    Seeing visions of falling up somehow.

Pensacola '94
    New Orleans '95
    Birmingham '98
    New Orleans '00
    New Orleans '03
    Tampa '08
    New Orleans '10 - Jazzfest
    New Orleans '16 - Jazzfest
    Fenway Park '18
    St. Louis '22
  • pjalive21pjalive21 Posts: 2,818
    yield2me wrote:
    I need to see Pearl Jam really fucking soon!! Killing me here...

DITTO!!!
    It's my lunchtime bump.Here is to the south get there shows?Who is it up to who gets shows?The Band,Ten Club,Their Management or their record label?
    Ft. Lauderdale 96'
    Tampa 00'
    West Palm Beach 03'
    House of Blues 03'
    Tampa 03'
    Kissimmee 04'
    West Palm Beach 08'
    Tampa 08'
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    bump
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    Has anybody sent a message to Kat to see if she knows anything about the South?
    “May you live to be 100 and may the last voice you hear be mine.” - Frank Sinatra
    I did in the past (last summer & fall) and all I got was the same press release statement that they officially sanction... the party line - nothing ever new.

SPALMA wrote:
    I did in the past (last summer & fall) and all I got was the same press release statement that they officially sanction... the party line - nothing ever new.

just as I thought...
  • reblfanreblfan Posts: 90
    Have any of the board mods posted in this thread? It seems like they would feel compelled to give some sort of explanation given the size of this thread.....
    "Memories like fingerprints are slowly raising."
  • callencallen Posts: 6,388
    still numb after 4 days...when will this feeling end....I just don't know if I can go on.......drifting drifting........
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
    reblfan wrote:
    Have any of the board mods posted in this thread? It seems like they would feel compelled to give some sort of explanation given the size of this thread.....

Don't think so.

It's 4:35 and I had a rough day at work.Found this on page 2 and I have to bump.Always keeping this thread at the top.
    Ft. Lauderdale 96'
    Tampa 00'
    West Palm Beach 03'
    House of Blues 03'
    Tampa 03'
    Kissimmee 04'
    West Palm Beach 08'
    Tampa 08'
  • dangerboydangerboy Posts: 1,569
    unofficial sticky top-of-mind bump

ebay isn't evil people are

The South is Much Obliged
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    callen wrote:
    still numb after 4 days...when will this feeling end....I just don't know if I can go on.......drifting drifting........

Me too....still numbed out and crushed with disappointment ;-(

Such a pity that the server crashed while everyone was going crazy trying to buy there Euro tix isn't it?

Sad sad day for us all.........
  • dangerboydangerboy Posts: 1,569
    unofficial sticky

at least the bugs will be worked out before the southern dates go on sale :/

ebay isn't evil people are

The South is Much Obliged
  • I was talking to this kind little birdie and it sang to me that i should get all the southerners and start a petition and let the band know how much we love them.
    We down here in the south have been taking some hits latley, by some of the people on this board, so all jokes aside let's sign this thing and let the band know the south loves and wants them-and everyone else out there sign it too, and come south in the fall and see them again-and if they come near greenville, sc come and eat some delicious southern treats here at my little bistro.

BUMP
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    BUMP
    Yeah, I'm gonna bump this too to piss off pc_loadletter. :D
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10