Pitchfork blasts "Evil Urges"

2»

Comments

• restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    Igottago wrote:

One thing Pitchfork got right, the streak of amazing music this band has been on since they started has been incredible. I really hope Evil Urges keeps that streak alive.

good point my friend. they have been making amazing music and you will not be let down by evil urges. its got people talking already. discussing and arguing, its doing its job.

i think this album will define those albums that you either get and love or, like drlovemonkey, throw out the window and never understand. and for those of us who it hits and we get what they are laying down, there is nothing greater.

thank god music is subjective.

the album rules and thats the bottom line.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • pjfan020pjfan020 Posts: 426
    pitchfork blows. i've only heard Z and love it so i think i'll buy Evil Urges tomorrow. I've only heard "i'm amazed" and "evil urges" so i'm interested in what i hear. can't wait to check them out at bonnaroo.
    "Tonight we're just gonna play you some good old American Rock and Roll." tom petty-7-15-05
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    I bought it today... heard a few songs really interesting have to get into it after a few listens. They have moved on from the early albums thats for sure... different than anything else they have done. I will give it a shot and see what I think. Interesting band.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • I adore Evil Urges and it's certainly my favourite, even over Z.
    I can't wait to see songs like 'Highly Suspicious' and 'Evil Urges' live :D
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • i like matt.ci like matt.c Posts: 1,121
    I love Highly Suspicious. The lyrics are so funny. I like that with this album you don't know what's coming next. There's a bit of everything and that's cool.
  • i love i'm amazed...can't get it out of my head.
    i've been in my mind, it's such a fine line...
  • i love i'm amazed...can't get it out of my head.
    One of my favourites too! :D
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    I listened to the leak once through and now I'm afraid to put the album on again.

I have no problem with a band changing things up, but it seems to me that these guys are trying too hard to do something different. I'm all about the "to each his (or her) own" philosophy, but I find it so very hard to believe that people actually enjoy this album. I simply do not get it.

To my ears these songs range from the terrible to the boring with little in between. And I hate the fact that I could actually understand what Jim is singing. I've known all along that this band has written some terrible lyrics, but at least in the past I couldn't make out what Jim was saying on It Still Moves and Z! Makes is much easier to forget the shortcoming.

Maybe my opinion will change, but first I'll have to force myself push the play button!
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I picked it up today at Best buy for 10bucks well actually 9 i made them price match targets price.

A little disapointed in the packaging. Just lyrics inside. No extra songs etc. As someone who has had the leak but still wanted to buy the album to support the band i dig if they throw a b side on the release or something.

Oh well. Many of these songs are going to be fun live. Even the odd songs or different songs still have some killer guitar solo parts.

The middle part of the album between thank you tooo and aluminam parks bores the shit out of me. besides that i dig it.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    soclose wrote:
    I have no problem with a band changing things up, but it seems to me that these guys are trying too hard to do something different.

That's what I'm worried about. I listened to it once over on myspace last night. Sure some experimentation there, but was all of it good? Are they substituting being good with being interesting? The best thing about MMJ is their ability to write songs that you can feel. I'm not sure I heard a lot of that last night. I thought I'm Amazed was the best song, and its also the one you can take the most seriously.

Its too early to make a full decision on the album yet, I'm gonna go buy it and listen a lot more before I really decide what i think.
  • drlovemonkeydrlovemonkey Posts: 394
    marino13 wrote:
    Actually, I wouldn't bother. If you have that little patience that you would throw a cd out the window after 4 or 5 songs you will never get this band. It took me a couple of months of owning It Still Moves before I totally dug My Morning Jacket. It must suck to only like music that hits you immediately. All of my favorite albums weren't even close to being my favorite on the first listen.

Has nothing to do with patience, marino13. I have a lot of CDs that didn't hit me immediately but grew to become favorites. I didn't like PJ's Binaural until about 5 years later. Wintersleep took me a few months and many listens but I'm now a fan. That being said, I'd like to think that I know my own tastes well enough to know instantly when there is no chance something will grow on me. I appreciate that you love MMJ and I can understand why people do (just as you admitted Arcade Fire isn't your thing but you respect them) - MMJ is just not anything I will ever like or "get" as you said.

...and I do regret throwing it out the window. Littering is bad.
  • pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020
    I like MMJ... but I think this is awful.
  • That was the video that started my whole MMJ obsession - I've never seen a band kick so much ass in a late-night TV performance before. Not even PJ.

check out at the drive in doing 'one armed scissor' on conan.
  • hobbes wrote:
    check out at the drive in doing 'one armed scissor' on conan.

Yeah, I dunno. Jumping around like a hyperactive 5 year old doesn't make a good performance for me. :p That said, I'm biased, cos I really don't like that song, ever since I heard it on Later with Jools Holland a few years back.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Nothing much stuck out to me on first listen. There didn't appear to be a Golden, Gidgeon, Hopefully, Steam Engine... And for god's sake why is the new single all falsetto? That's just stupid.

But I'll listen to it again and again.. then if it still sucks that'll be it.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • JellyrollsJellyrolls Posts: 523
    In the past I have bashed the hell out of MMJ because I just didn't get them, but after listening to this album a couple of times like I have all I can say is that I'm sorry for bashing them. I don't think I have heard an album this year as great as Evil Urges. I have never went from hating a band as bad as I did (Z) to skyrocketing to my top 10 favorite bands (after Evil Urges). Now that I like them I will go back and give Z a spin. But to those who don't like EU, give it one more listen please!!

I might be one of the few who think Highly Suspicious is up for song of the year close to "Carolina Drama"
  • marino13marino13 Posts: 31
    Has nothing to do with patience, marino13. I have a lot of CDs that didn't hit me immediately but grew to become favorites. I didn't like PJ's Binaural until about 5 years later. Wintersleep took me a few months and many listens but I'm now a fan. That being said, I'd like to think that I know my own tastes well enough to know instantly when there is no chance something will grow on me. I appreciate that you love MMJ and I can understand why people do (just as you admitted Arcade Fire isn't your thing but you respect them) - MMJ is just not anything I will ever like or "get" as you said.

...and I do regret throwing it out the window. Littering is bad.

Yeah, I just realized how dickish I came off there. I missed in your original post that you hadn't actually bought the album, so I can better understand the lack of patience with it. If my friends burn me a copy of something, I have no problem turning it off after a few songs if I can tell right away I won't like it. If I buy an album, I am much more willing to give it a few listens. MMJ won't be everyone's cup of tea, and if your reaction was that bad, you may not want to waste your time trying to like it. There is too much other good music out there to find.
  • GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    well ive listened to it about 15 times now. I give it a 7 out of 10 for now. It's got some really great songs, evil urges, both touch me's, thank you too, librarian, and some sleepers too. It's no z, but how could they ever match z? impossible.
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • Gmoney wrote:
    It's no z, but how could they ever match z? impossible.
    - It Still Moves. :)
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • This band bores me to tears.

And the album? Sucks.
    Horry Kow!
  • deadmosquitodeadmosquito Posts: 729
    Gmoney wrote:
    well ive listened to it about 15 times now. I give it a 7 out of 10 for now. It's got some really great songs, evil urges, both touch me's, thank you too, librarian, and some sleepers too. It's no z, but how could they ever match z? impossible.

at dawn. possibly best album of the decade.
  • joejohnjoejohn Posts: 30
    The review was pretty accurate. Evil Urges=beer coaster
  • at dawn. possibly best album of the decade.

I got At Dawn for Christmas last year, and it's only really clicked for me in the last week or so. Phone Went West is one of the most gorgeous songs I've ever heard. Honest Man... holy fuck, what a jam. :D And Bermuda Highway is perfection. :)

I'd definitely rank At Dawn, It Still Moves and Z over Evil Urges... but that says more about my love for those three albums than anything else. :)
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Yeah, I dunno. Jumping around like a hyperactive 5 year old doesn't make a good performance for me. :p That said, I'm biased, cos I really don't like that song, ever since I heard it on Later with Jools Holland a few years back.

head banging 20 pounds of hair makes a good one though? i'm watching it right now..and really? that's it?
  • the only song by mmj i really really like is "o is the one that's real". i could listen to that song for hours.
  • hobbes wrote:
    head banging 20 pounds of hair makes a good one though? i'm watching it right now..and really? that's it?

Like I said, I might be biased, cos I really don't like At The Drive In. But MMJ's performance gripped me, at least two others in this thread, like few others I've seen. The fact that One Big Holiday's an incredible song might have something to do with it.
  • Like I said, I might be biased, cos I really don't like At The Drive In. But MMJ's performance gripped me, at least two others in this thread, like few others I've seen. The fact that One Big Holiday's an incredible song might have something to do with it.

i'm not a huge fan. but there are tons of other songs i would suspect would make for better tv appearances.