Pitchfork blasts "Evil Urges"

SiDSiD Posts: 76
edited June 2008 in Other Music
My Morning Jacket's latest album, Evil Urges, ends the mean streak the band's been on since 2000, and threatens to squander some of the widespread goodwill they've been steadily building along the way. There are few fiery guitar freakouts, folk-influenced melodies, soaring space-rock bridges, or psychedelic flourishes here; instead, the empty space is mostly filled with serviceable falsetto funk and glassy-eyed yacht-pop. Worse still is the band's decision to ignore the perfect past incarnations of James' Orbisonian tenor-- easily MMJ's most appealing component and one of the more breathtaking instruments in modern rock. At best, his voice is sorely underutilized here; at worst, it's mangled beyond recognition. After listening to Urges, I wonder if My Morning Jacket might just be satisfied following in the footsteps of labelmates Dave Matthews Band: nestling into a comfortable niche and aiming for the Starbucks carousel with rootsy New Age romanticism.

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/record_review/51074-evil-urges

I'm waiting until tomorrow to buy the CD, but I have heard clips of almost every song, and I will admit, it's different. I think it will take time to "get" but I'll give it as much attention as possible. I love MMJ.

Not surprising that pitchfork slammed it. They don't like anything.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    SiD wrote:
    http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/record_review/51074-evil-urges

I'm waiting until tomorrow to buy the CD, but I have heard clips of almost every song, and I will admit, it's different. I think it will take time to "get" but I'll give it as much attention as possible. I love MMJ.

Not surprising that pitchfork slammed it. They don't like anything.
    The review would suggest they very much like MMJ, just not this album.

Pitchfork hate is so passé.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • SiDSiD Posts: 76
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Pitchfork hate is so passé.

Agreed. Rolling Stone gave it a glowing 4 star review.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Well i'm buying it tomorrow but i've had the leak for well over a month now. I enjoy the album, but i think it is a step back. There are good songs. Actually there are some great songs. I just don't think it holds together well.

I don't totally agree with the reviewer but not exactly what i was hoping for from MMJ.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    SiD wrote:
    I think you misunderstand me. I don't mean Pitchfork hating things is passé. I mean hating Pitchfork every time they give a bad review to a record you like is. Remember that it is the opinion of ONE reviewer.

Also remember that someone else's opinion on an album should have no bearing on whether or not you enjoy it.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • drlovemonkeydrlovemonkey Posts: 394
    I heard so much about the greatness of Evil Urges that I downloaded it yesterday. I have never listened to MMJ before this - not a single song. Even during the 06 tour, I didn't catch a single minute of them opening for PJ.

So I went into this with an open mind. I burnt the CD and decided to check it out on the drive to my son's soccer game. By song 5, I rolled down the window and threw the CD out of my car. I actually littered in front of my 4 year old - that's how bad I thought this CD was. GOD AWFUL!

...and I must say that I usually fare pretty well with recommendations from this board. I've became a big fan of both the Black Keys and Wintersleep just from hearing about them on this board. But I will never listen to MMJ again.

I know it won't be a popular opinion - it's just my 2 cents.
    I heard so much about the greatness of Evil Urges that I downloaded it yesterday. I have never listened to MMJ before this - not a single song. Even during the 06 tour, I didn't catch a single minute of them opening for PJ.

So I went into this with an open mind. I burnt the CD and decided to check it out on the drive to my son's soccer game. By song 5, I rolled down the window and threw the CD out of my car. I actually littered in front of my 4 year old - that's how bad I thought this CD was. GOD AWFUL!

...and I must say that I usually fare pretty well with recommendations from this board. I've became a big fan of both the Black Keys and Wintersleep just from hearing about them on this board. But I will never listen to MMJ again.

To the best of my knowledge, not having listened to much of them, their other albums are supposed to be far better and Evil Urges is meant to be a big (and not very successful) departure for them.
  • LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    The fact that this reviewer criticized them for abandoning elements of their past and then proceeded to accuse them of settling into a comfortable niche only illustrates the lack of legitimacy in many of Pitchfork's reviews.

It's nothing to get worked up over though; I like the album and couldn't care less what Pitchfork, an entity known for their rampant and often dubious over-criticism, has to say about it.

On a side note, has anybody ever heard of yacht-pop before? I'm glad I got my dose of indie pretension for the day.
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,845
    SiD wrote:

Rolling Stone is more predictable than the sun coming up in the morning.
  • I heard so much about the greatness of Evil Urges that I downloaded it yesterday. I have never listened to MMJ before this - not a single song. Even during the 06 tour, I didn't catch a single minute of them opening for PJ.

Yeah, honestly, you couldn't have picked a worse album to start with - it's difficult for their biggest fans to get into.
    Try these vids, which I think are far more representative of their sound up till now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETaUHNojc6s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjLFG0i2_AE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0Q9iAcPjzc
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,276

nice dad .....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • drlovemonkeydrlovemonkey Posts: 394
    Yeah, honestly, you couldn't have picked a worse album to start with - it's difficult for their biggest fans to get into.
    Try these vids, which I think are far more representative of their sound up till now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETaUHNojc6s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjLFG0i2_AE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0Q9iAcPjzc

Alright - I'll give it a shot.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Just watch the last one of them on Conan doing One Big Holliday.

That shit is awesome.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • JellyrollsJellyrolls Posts: 523
    That song that was performed on the Conan was one of the most amazing live performances that I have ever seen! And I'm not a huge fan of MMJ. They way Conan got pumped after the song was cool to see too, because I have only seen him do that for a very few bands.
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    I think you misunderstand me. I don't mean Pitchfork hating things is passé. I mean hating Pitchfork every time they give a bad review to a record you like is. Remember that it is the opinion of ONE reviewer.

Also remember that someone else's opinion on an album should have no bearing on whether or not you enjoy it.

Considering I haven't heard the album completely, I have no idea if I agree or disagree with Pitchfork. I was just stating they blasted it.
  • LedZepFan wrote:
    criticized them for abandoning elements of their past and then proceeded to accuse them of settling into a comfortable niche

On a side note, has anybody ever heard of yacht-pop before?

it's as if you read my mind! the album is very different than "standard" mmj fare, and it's very different from anything resembling "comfortable," so i'm not sure what niche this reviewer thinks they're settling into...oh wait, the "yacht-pop" niche right? perhaps the reviewer got the EVIL URGE to tie a v-neck sweater around his neck or something when he heard the record?

all i know is that there are many, many things happening on the album, and they take no shortcuts on any of the songs...even if it's not your cup of tea, it's certainly well done and uncompromised. now if you'll excuse me, muffy and i have to yacht over to the tennis club for a match with our other yachtish friends.
    <a href="http://www.shawnsmithsinger.com">Shawn Smith</a> / <a href="http://www.thebandbrad.com">Brad</a&gt; / <a href="http://www.allhailthecrown.com">All Hail the Crown</a> / <a href="http://www.satchelpartnership.com">Satchel</a&gt;

(Shawn Smith's official website, but not Thee Shawn Smith)
  • porchdwellerporchdweller Posts: 228
    It's not my favorite MMJ album, but the more I listen the more I like of it. I will admit there are a couple of songs I skip. But there are also 4-5 very good songs and maybe 2 great MMJ songs, IMO. Touch Me Part 2 is absolutely stellar, Evil Urges is very good, Aluminum Park is also awesome and the song after it. This is from a highly biased MMJ fan though.
    "That's part of the curse: If you're gonna play the song, you better play it. I've tried to phone in "Jeremy" a few times, and it's tough. It doesn't work."

EV
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,152
    I like Evil Urges more than Z... there I said it.

I know it's cool to be a fan of Z but this new album has made me finally see the greatness in this band. How have I been missing it this whole time?

I like this CD so much I'm thinking of traveling from NYC to Philly to see them on a day I really shouldnt.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Jellyrolls wrote:
    That song that was performed on the Conan was one of the most amazing live performances that I have ever seen! And I'm not a huge fan of MMJ. They way Conan got pumped after the song was cool to see too, because I have only seen him do that for a very few bands.

That was the video that started my whole MMJ obsession - I've never seen a band kick so much ass in a late-night TV performance before. Not even PJ.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    I like Evil Urges more than Z... there I said it.

I know it's cool to be a fan of Z but this new album has made me finally see the greatness in this band. How have I been missing it this whole time?
    Uh...is it?

I like Evil Urges more than Z, and I love Z. Can't wait to see how the material translates live.
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    To the best of my knowledge, not having listened to much of them, their other albums are supposed to be far better and Evil Urges is meant to be a big (and not very successful) departure for them.

You must be pirvy to some musical circle the rest of us aren't then, as everyone i've spoken to about the album really likes it.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
    audiodave wrote:
    You must be pirvy to some musical circle the rest of us aren't then, as everyone i've spoken to about the album really likes it.
    Yup. I am a user of rateyourmusic.com and it didn't go down very well at all over there. Has an average rating of 3.04/5 whereas Okonokos is 4.01/5 from 250 ratings. The former is a pretty low rating in comparison to all their other albums too. I've also read several reviews from various publications saying that it's a step in a new direction that hasn't really hit the mark. I've not heard it or any of their other albums and I'm not commenting either way. Might be great for all I know but yes, in some other musical circles it hasn't been so well received. I did only say "to the best of my knowledge".

This is a PJ board remember. The ratio of hardcore MMJ fans is probably pretty high :)
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,152
    audiodave wrote:
    Uh...is it?

I could be wrong about this in the overall view of things. I should have said its cool to like Z... at my college.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • oktacomaoktacoma Posts: 335
    I'm really digging the EU...it definitely is all over the place, but I kinda like that. The only song I'm not really digging is Two Halves. Sounds like cheesy pop music to me and inconsistent with all other MMJ tunes.
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    SiD wrote:

The opposite could be said about Rolling Stone though......they give way too many 4 star reviews.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • oktacoma wrote:
    The only song I'm not really digging is Two Halves. Sounds like cheesy pop music to me and inconsistent with all other MMJ tunes.

If it sounds like pop, then it's 1950's pop...it's nothing like what would be considered contemporary pop.

But the thing that's strange to me is your comment about it being inconsistent with other MMJ tunes...on the new album, each song's foundation explores a different genre or direct influence and in many cases mish-moshes genres together. They're all glued together by MMJ making each song their own, with their signature (as every band has its own signature)...but you can hear a distinctive difference in sound on each song and make the statement that it doesn't fit with the other songs or MMJ's back-catalog. 50's pop (Two Halves), 70's soul (Thank You Too), country (Look at You), 90's rock (Remnants), Prince (Evil Urges), psychedelia (Touch Me I'm Going to Scream), lots going on in Highly Suspicious...every song has a different genre as its core.
    <a href="http://www.shawnsmithsinger.com">Shawn Smith</a> / <a href="http://www.thebandbrad.com">Brad</a&gt; / <a href="http://www.allhailthecrown.com">All Hail the Crown</a> / <a href="http://www.satchelpartnership.com">Satchel</a&gt;

• oktacomaoktacoma Posts: 335
    pjny wrote:
    If it sounds like pop, then it's 1950's pop...it's nothing like what would be considered contemporary pop.

But the thing that's strange to me is your comment about it being inconsistent with other MMJ tunes...on the new album, each song's foundation explores a different genre or direct influence and in many cases mish-moshes genres together. They're all glued together by MMJ making each song their own, with their signature (as every band has its own signature)...but you can hear a distinctive difference in sound on each song and make the statement that it doesn't fit with the other songs or MMJ's back-catalog. 50's pop (Two Halves), 70's soul (Thank You Too), country (Look at You), 90's rock (Remnants), Prince (Evil Urges), psychedelia (Touch Me I'm Going to Scream), lots going on in Highly Suspicious...every song has a different genre as its core.
    I see what you're saying and it makes sense...I still am having trouble getting into Two Halves, though.
  • marino13marino13 Posts: 31

Actually, I wouldn't bother. If you have that little patience that you would throw a cd out the window after 4 or 5 songs you will never get this band. It took me a couple of months of owning It Still Moves before I totally dug My Morning Jacket. It must suck to only like music that hits you immediately. All of my favorite albums weren't even close to being my favorite on the first listen.
    I know I said I was going to buy EU tomorrow, but damn if MMJ doesn't have the entire album playing on their myspace page. So I've been sitting here, listening to EU on their myspace, and I have to admit - I'm diggin' the fuck out of this album. "Touch Me I'm Going to Scream 2" is an INSTANT MMJ classic. Fuck, even after 3 listens I even like "Highly Suspicious" - Pitchfork can suck me. I'm totally enjoying this. Though it's a departure to some degree, it has that MMJ common thread that holds it together, and that's all I ask for.

Can't wait for tomorrow. Can't wait to get this on my ipod. I'm a purest. I can't help it.
  • kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    i immediately liked the album (listening to it on myspace a few nights ago).

i don't own a yacht, so it's really weird.
  • Kenny Olav wrote:
    i don't own a yacht, so it's really weird.

Alas, I've been on a yacht, so some sort of Morning residue must've seeped onto My Jacket because I have these Evil Urges to listen to this band.

• IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    Pitchfork probably feel betrayed becaue MMJ are now a pretty well known band and have been on magazine covers etc.

Really though, sometimes different isn't a good thing. I'm buying the album tomorrow, haven't listened to any internet leaks or anything. It'll be a fresh experience. But I do have high expectations as MMJ have been my favourite band for about the past 5 years or so.

One thing Pitchfork got right, the streak of amazing music this band has been on since they started has been incredible. I really hope Evil Urges keeps that streak alive.