Americans and music

13»

Comments

• geniegenie Posts: 2,222
    Why does it seem the vast majority of Americans seem to dislike good music?

Prime example...Kings of Leon go in at number 25 in the album charts(number 1 for the second week running in the UK),Nickelback go in at number 1 and sell 5 million??

wow what a survey, it sure does tell a lot about everyone's opinion in America - not!
  • Gremmie95Gremmie95 Posts: 749
    This moron just keeps popping up. Here is another statement about the US from Mrs. Biffy

America
    Views: 633 Posted By biffy clyro
    America

Fuck America,you are a cesspit of a country who stands by and watches their children die,while taking the lifes of other children around the world.

One classy guy.
    Gremmie95 wrote:
    This moron just keeps popping up. Here is another statement about the US from Mrs. Biffy

America
    Views: 633 Posted By biffy clyro
    America

Fuck America,you are a cesspit of a country who stands by and watches their children die,while taking the lifes of other children around the world.

One classy guy.

sorry Gremmie95 it's me who bumped this thread by quoting him, because i wanted to annoy him in another thread. :o
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
    the media drives this pop-teeny market, and the media sells whoever they seems to care about at the time despite their music. Don't endict America on the actions of corporations and teen hormones it is like saying all English people have bad teeth
  • Gremmie95Gremmie95 Posts: 749
    genie wrote:
    sorry Gremmie95 it's me who bumped this thread by quoting him, because i wanted to annoy him in another thread. :o

no worries, annoy away!!!!!! There should be no shortage of reasons to banter this joker.
  • LiftedLifted Posts: 1,836
    certainly not, but I really do think English people just generally have better popular rock music. Interpol, Radiohead, The Cure, The Smiths, etc.

i'm pretty sure interpol is from new york. or maybe you are just saying they are popular in england. i don't know....but personally i agree with whoever was saying that most people in general don't appreciate "good music", it's not just here in the states.
  • Alex_CoeAlex_Coe Posts: 762
    Why does it seem the vast majority of Americans seem to dislike good music?

Prime example...Kings of Leon go in at number 25 in the album charts(number 1 for the second week running in the UK),Nickelback go in at number 1 and sell 5 million??

Listen to Arab music if you want to hear some crazy shit. Over there they listen to two musical styles:

1. Catchy Pop bands, especially Lionel Richie.

2. The Afghan screaming style: "Liiiiii LAAAEEEEaaallllaaaa llllleeeekkkkeeeeee-eeeeaaaaa madddaaaaaaaa.... FAAAaaaaAAAAA"
    ArtMars wrote:
    Because most American's are brainwashed (I'm not). TV rots your brain and todays youth is effected by what the television feeds them. MTV and American Idol garbage.

Hey man, stereotypes hurt my feelings. Seriously. I feel bad now.
    Twatay wrote:
    seriously, wtf is wrong with most of this board??? why do people think so highly of kings of leon and the strokes??? THEY FUCKING SUCK.

I'll compromise with you.

Strokes= wewt

KOL= Fucking suck.

Is that acceptable?
  • LiftedLifted Posts: 1,836

i mean al ot of american cities do not have a Modern Rock/Alternative radio station, to hear new good music Indie or otherwise.
    Take Philadelphia, where i live. in the before time, we once had a lot of Rock stations here. Now we have one. Before there were a few stations here in Philly like Y100 that played new music, indie music, and cool music, good music, and a mix of bad too. but it was a station that you could here a band that was under the radar and see if you liked em. but since all of these stations have been dumped for hip hop or gospel stations, we have no other outlet for new modern rock, we are left with one Rock Station . Which Is Wmmr, Which is a great fucking station and they play a ton of Pj all the time. but they lean toward a more older hard rock( 70's 80's early 90s) sound . and the new music they do play is all of those neo/post grunge bands like hinder/nickelback/shine down/seether etc etc. so for rock fans in the Philadelphia region we have to settle for Wmmr and what their musical tastes are. i email the radio station everyday and request a ton of cool music, but their emails back to me always sound like " sorry thats not in our playlist" or " although we think that band is awesome , they dont fit the same feel of our station". so basically Wmmr tells us whats good and whats out there. There are a gazillion bands Philly people will never hear because Wmmr will not play them. people who might fall in love with bands like Kings of Leon if they could hear a song will never know who they are because wmmr doesnt play them. Interpol has not had any airplay in Philly for the past 3 years. so how are they supposed to sell any records in Philly if no one knows what their new single is or what type of music do they play, that is why they dont sell a lot of records. the Philly are has around 5 million people in its market, that 5 million records that could be sold .Bands like Nickelback have a lot of money for promotion from their label and have the means to get airplay. most people arent like us on the PJ message pit , they dont know what the cool good bands are today, they depend on the radio and tv ( which is really sad) to tell them.

i'm surprised you mentioned wmmr as the only station that plays good music in philly. i'm sure if you're from philly you've heard of 88.5 wxpn? maybe you've never checked it out, but judging from your statements its seems like that would be a station you would enjoy more. it's the only station i listen to. not too long ago i was listening and i heard my morning jacket - mageetah, pearl jam - crazy mary live from state college, thom yorke - harrowdown hill, and a new wilco song all in a row commercial free. great station. i'm pretty sure it's a college station from university of pennsylvania.
  • TrailerTrailer Posts: 1,431
    genie wrote:
    wow what a survey, it sure does tell a lot about everyone's opinion in America - not!

hahaha good point. I guess the Kings of Leon are the new standard as to which all other music is compared to. They fucking suck... so does Nickelback! What does that prove about American's taste in music? Biffy your a fucking idiot!
    Whoa, chill bro... you know you can't raise your voice like that when the lion's here.
    Trailer wrote:
    hahaha good point. I guess the Kings of Leon are the new standard as to which all other music is compared to. They fucking suck... so does Nickelback! What does that prove about American's taste in music? Biffy your a fucking idiot!

thank you :) though i do have to say I like a bit of Kings of Leon, as for Nickleback yes they suck.
  • BlyssBlyss Posts: 166
    BinFrog wrote:
    I think you give the rest of the world too much credit. I find that the vast majority of people I have met, American or otherwise, have musical tastes I would personally consider god awful. I don't think it's an American thing.

I agree i am surrounded by people who will only listen to "pop" whatever is mainstream at that time and i am an aussie. I guess we all do that to a certain extent but a lot of people (i know anyway) prefer catchy and popular over a really well crafted song. So no happens here too.
  • Why does it seem the vast majority of Americans seem to dislike good music?

It's the same in the U.K!?!
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    oops
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson