Americans and music

biffy clyrobiffy clyro Posts: 148
edited July 2007 in Other Music
Why does it seem the vast majority of Americans seem to dislike good music?

Prime example...Kings of Leon go in at number 25 in the album charts(number 1 for the second week running in the UK),Nickelback go in at number 1 and sell 5 million??
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• stateoflove79stateoflove79 Posts: 2,845

Prime example...Kings of Leon go in at number 25 in the album charts(number 1 for the second week running in the UK),Nickelback go in at number 1 and sell 5 million??
    Most Americans (and I am an American) wouldn't know good music if it bit their cock or nipples off.
    Is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • We have a lot of people with realllllly shitty taste like everywhere else. Good music is rarely gonna be recognized by billboard charts or the media. For christs' sake aren't we on season 9 or so of american idol?
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    I think you give the rest of the world too much credit. I find that the vast majority of people I have met, American or otherwise, have musical tastes I would personally consider god awful. I don't think it's an American thing.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174

Crazy Frog got to number here not so long ago so im not sure your argument holds any water at all.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • biffy clyrobiffy clyro Posts: 148
    stu gee wrote:
    Crazy Frog got to number here not so long ago so im not sure your argument holds any water at all.

I'm not talking about pop,r n b,classical or anything like that,i'm talking about guitar music,and guitar bands.Sorry should have been a bit clearer.
  • I'm not talking about pop,r n b,classical or anything like that,i'm talking about guitar music,and guitar bands.Sorry should have been a bit clearer.
    I understand what you're asking, and generally you English seem to have us whipped. I don't think it's just me,.. but I've noticed that far more British seem to have at least some good music that they listen to. hmm.

"Make our day"
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    I don't know if this is the case in other countries, but...

Music just isn't marketed as an art form. It's marketed as something that can make your car rides a little more enjoyable, or your workouts a little easier, or your ringtone a little more catchy. So when 'good' music (i.e. music with any shred of artistic merit) is put out, people don't really want. They don't want something that you can put on a good pair of headphones and just listen to all the way through... that went out of style a long time ago. They want that Nickelback song they heard on the radio, so they buy Now That's What I Call Music 49 and listen to it for about a week and then forget about it. And there's the problem... 'good' music doesn't sell.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    It's not Americans, it's people. Have you ever heard the crap that tops the charts in other countries? We don't have a monopoly on bad taste, that's for sure.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • hippiemom wrote:
    It's not Americans, it's people. Have you ever heard the crap that tops the charts in other countries? We don't have a monopoly on bad taste, that's for sure.
    certainly not, but I really do think English people just generally have better popular rock music. Interpol, Radiohead, The Cure, The Smiths, etc.

"Make our day"
    hippiemom wrote:

Yeah, have a look at some of the charts in Europe, absolutely horrendous as well

Had a look at the french charts there and i see that Mika is in the top 5 album chart. I wouldnt advise people check him out if you havent heard him but he is a complete nightmare.

I know this thread is supposed to be about guitar music, but it is all in the same charts anyway.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
    certainly not, but I really do think English people just generally have better popular rock music. Interpol, Radiohead, The Cure, The Smiths, etc.

i thought interpol were from the US?
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    stu gee wrote:
    i thought interpol were from the US?

they are (NYC)......and i'm going to see them tonight - cant freakin wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • Todd76 wrote:
    they are (NYC)......and i'm going to see them tonight - cant freakin wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    They're like a thousand times more popular in England I believe.

"Make our day"
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    As hm said, Americans do not have a monopoly on bad music. Simon Cowell is British after all. :o
  • Peter CPeter C Posts: 237
    cutback wrote:
    As hm said, Americans do not have a monopoly on bad music. Simon Cowell is British after all. :o

We're very sorry for that.
    London 1996 Cardiff 2000 Paris 2006 and London 2007.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228

ahh one of my all time favorite discussions. US vs england in rock music.

the brits whipped everyone in the late 60's and 70's. They took a couple good swings in 80s but for the most part ithink since teh 70's the good ole USA has had them beat.

as mentioned interpol is from the US but i think perhaps the editors are from the UK? (i could be wrong) and they sound like a 3rd generation smiths knock off instead of a 2nd genderation like interpol :D

some bands just get hot in europe or the UK and not as much here. Personally i don't like the Kings of Leon. I have their first two albums and i saw them live and they just don't do it for me.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    intodeep wrote:
    ahh one of my all time favorite discussions. US vs england in rock music.

the brits whipped everyone in the late 60's and 70's. They took a couple good swings in 80s but for the most part ithink since teh 70's the good ole USA has had them beat.

as mentioned interpol is from the US but i think perhaps the editors are from the UK? (i could be wrong) and they sound like a 3rd generation smiths knock off instead of a 2nd genderation like interpol :D

some bands just get hot in europe or the UK and not as much here. Personally i don't like the Kings of Leon. I have their first two albums and i saw them live and they just don't do it for me.

NO!NO!NO!

It's nothing to do with US V UK rock...i'm talking about americans not buying good music(american artists included)the strokes,kings of leon,white stripes are all huge over here,but americans would rather buy and listen to crap like hinder
  • PaulJamPaulJam Posts: 163

What is the answer to 99 out of every 100 questions?

Money.
  • PaulJamPaulJam Posts: 163
    DOSW wrote:
    I don't know if this is the case in other countries, but...

Music just isn't marketed as an art form. It's marketed as something that can make your car rides a little more enjoyable, or your workouts a little easier, or your ringtone a little more catchy. So when 'good' music (i.e. music with any shred of artistic merit) is put out, people don't really want. They don't want something that you can put on a good pair of headphones and just listen to all the way through... that went out of style a long time ago. They want that Nickelback song they heard on the radio, so they buy Now That's What I Call Music 49 and listen to it for about a week and then forget about it. And there's the problem... 'good' music doesn't sell.

great points.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    NO!NO!NO!

It's nothing to do with US V UK rock...i'm talking about americans not buying good music(american artists included)the strokes,kings of leon,white stripes are all huge over here,but americans would rather buy and listen to crap like hinder

Well what do you mean by HUGE?

Huge like Pearl Jam and Nirvana was in the early 90's?

Becasue all of those bands are popular here. I think anyone who is a rock music fan knows who they are an likes them. KOL being the exception and i think this album is the one that will put them over the top.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Why does it seem the vast majority of Americans seem to dislike good music?

i agree as an american, its something i just dont understand myself. Why a horrible band like Nickelback has a career? i dont know. Why do a vast number of Americans like them, I blame radio and tv. American Radio is Terrible, most rock stations here cater to a more metal/grungy hard rock mainstream sound. and they tend to lean toward bands like nickelback. The more they play a song the more that songs sticks into peoples heads and make them believe its good. its brainwashing. most people think if its played on the radio its Good. the same goes for Tv, just watch mtv if you have the stomach for it. this goes especially for the hip hop community. i mean it seems if someone just puts a bunch of words together and a nifty little easy dance move , they sell a million records.
    Peopel are lazy and would rather have music forcefed to them and told whats good instead of seeking it out themselves. i look for music till i find good stuff. im on my computer everyday sampling music and taking suggestions from all people including a lot from this board, then i check it out and see if i like it
    another reason why Good music isnt selling a lot is because a lot of people are poor and dont have the time or money to be spending on music, its not in their budget. its not like they dont know what good music is, they know exactly what it is , they just get it burned from some one else. for example., i dont think my brother or sister have bought a cd in the past 5 years, yet they love every great band out there , I.E Kings of Leon My morning Jacket Etc Etc. they come to my cd collection and burn what they like, if a cd is comming out they want, either i am buying it or they find one of their friends who did and burn it.

i mean al ot of american cities do not have a Modern Rock/Alternative radio station, to hear new good music Indie or otherwise.
    Take Philadelphia, where i live. in the before time, we once had a lot of Rock stations here. Now we have one. Before there were a few stations here in Philly like Y100 that played new music, indie music, and cool music, good music, and a mix of bad too. but it was a station that you could here a band that was under the radar and see if you liked em. but since all of these stations have been dumped for hip hop or gospel stations, we have no other outlet for new modern rock, we are left with one Rock Station . Which Is Wmmr, Which is a great fucking station and they play a ton of Pj all the time. but they lean toward a more older hard rock( 70's 80's early 90s) sound . and the new music they do play is all of those neo/post grunge bands like hinder/nickelback/shine down/seether etc etc. so for rock fans in the Philadelphia region we have to settle for Wmmr and what their musical tastes are. i email the radio station everyday and request a ton of cool music, but their emails back to me always sound like " sorry thats not in our playlist" or " although we think that band is awesome , they dont fit the same feel of our station". so basically Wmmr tells us whats good and whats out there. There are a gazillion bands Philly people will never hear because Wmmr will not play them. people who might fall in love with bands like Kings of Leon if they could hear a song will never know who they are because wmmr doesnt play them. Interpol has not had any airplay in Philly for the past 3 years. so how are they supposed to sell any records in Philly if no one knows what their new single is or what type of music do they play, that is why they dont sell a lot of records. the Philly are has around 5 million people in its market, that 5 million records that could be sold .Bands like Nickelback have a lot of money for promotion from their label and have the means to get airplay. most people arent like us on the PJ message pit , they dont know what the cool good bands are today, they depend on the radio and tv ( which is really sad) to tell them.
    "I Will Scream my Lungs out 'til it fills this Room "

" I Will Feel Alive as Long as I am Free"

"Are We Getting SomeThing Out Of this All Encompassing Trip? Makes Much More Sense To Live In The Present Tense"

www.myspace.com/ehoff12982
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    We have a lot of people with realllllly shitty taste like everywhere else. Good music is rarely gonna be recognized by billboard charts or the media. For christs' sake aren't we on season 9 or so of american idol?

I really enjoyed your cover of "some where over the rainbow" on american idol last year

:D
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • iluvcats wrote:
    I really enjoyed your cover of "some where over the rainbow" on american idol last year

:D
    shh shhhh shhhhh

"Make our day"
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    shh shhhh shhhhh

I'm sorry you were kicked off. I could say I know an Idol.

to the original poster, I've never heard of the Kings of Leon. As for nickelback selling so many records, it's because they are on the radio and tv. that what sells. maybe people don't have time to search for independent labels and so they go with what's mainstream.

when my husband watches the top 20 countdown on vh1 on the weekends, i scream in agony, the "music" hurts me, esp. carrie underwood.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
    iluvcats wrote:
    I'm sorry you were kicked off. I could say I know an Idol.

to the original poster, I've never heard of the Kings of Leon. As for nickelback selling so many records, it's because they are on the radio and tv. that what sells. maybe people don't have time to search for independent labels and so they go with what's mainstream.

when my husband watches the top 20 countdown on vh1 on the weekends, i scream in agony, the "music" hurts me, esp. carrie underwood.

Never heard of KOL?? They re all that's good and decent about music,do yourself a favour and try and listen to them,wheter it's youtube or myspace.
  • Never heard of KOL?? They re all that's good and decent about music,do yourself a favour and try and listen to them,wheter it's youtube or myspace.
    Yeah they're quite quite good. Esp. the new album. the new thing you could say.

"Make our day"
  • Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    From some of the stuff I have read from the old days alotta great British bands(Zeppelin, I know for sure) done good in England then absolutely blew up when they hit the states. IMO though, and this is kind of another subject, after the initial rush(Beatle,Floyd,Zeppelin,etc.) America has crushed England.

I will say that for such a rural area, where I live has good taste in music. Granted alot of it has to do with redneck classic rock lovers, but I have a pretty good network of friends and acquaintences that have different but generally good taste in tunes.
  • Alex_CoeAlex_Coe Posts: 762

Ummm.... you're trying to make a stereotype about more than 300 million people? What?

Every place on the planet (I realise this too is a stereotype) has it's fags, it's unique people, it's assholes, it's bedwetters, and about 2% of them will be actually pretty cool. This is true wherever you go: Germany, Uganda or Mullettown, South Carolina.
  • Matty BoyMatty Boy Posts: 421
    Why are Kings of Leon thought of so highly around here? They are just a southern mediocre version of The Strokes who write generic unmemorable songs.
  • Alex_CoeAlex_Coe Posts: 762
    Matty Boy wrote:
    Why are Kings of Leon thought of so highly around here? They are just a southern mediocre version of The Strokes who write generic unmemorable songs.
    Not that I'm a KOL maniac, but a mediocre Strokes band= still pretty cool.