Good. Gone. Dead.

Tek MoneyTek Money Posts: 642
edited May 2007 in Other Music
Did anyone see the Rheostatics final show on Friday March 30th 2007? I did. It was probably one of the best live shows I have ever been to. The band had so much energy and the crowd ate it up (although I am not sure why everyone was sitting down). They played for 3 and a half hours and the setlist was tight. Both of my favorite songs were played which made for a good night for me. Martin was still getting over being sick so his voice didn't quite hit the high notes but Ford Pier and Tim made up for that. I really wish it wasn't the end for them. But I have high hopes that Martin and Bidini will have some sort of project coming up in the future.

I was fourth row on Bidini's side. I could have spit on them if I wanted to. It was an emotional night and I was informed after the show that many people were crying. I was also informed that I plowed into Pete Elkas (from the Local Rabbits) on my way out of Massey Hall. Sorry Pete.

Is this thread even going to get a response? I don't care.
Cock Fight.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    you should have at least tried to spit on them.

b minus.
  • Tek MoneyTek Money Posts: 642
    I did. But my spit had a strange consistency and kept dribbling down my chin.
    Cock Fight.
  • edstonededstoned Posts: 69
    We're all richer for having seen them tonight......

G.D.
    "He who forgets, will be destined to remember"

69 shows and counting.....
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    I was at the show (about 4 rows behind you - i guess).....and while I thought it was a great "event", as a concert I thought it was really disappointing.

As someone who has seen the Rheos MANY times, this was probably the worst show I have seen them put on.....and it TOTALLY was not their fault and I felt really sorry for them.

Tielli's voice is the backbone of pretty much ALL their songs (whether he's doing lead or background) and to see him struggle to even squeeze out a note was painful!!! He had absolutely NO high-end/falsetto and wasnt able to scream/rage at all. You REALLY had to appreciate the effort he made to get those notes out....throwing his whole body into them (to the point that he often ended up sprawled out on the stage), but all he could get out was a squeak and a wheeze......the songs took on a very different feel with out his support. It was really sad to see one of the most intense vocalists I have EVER seen reduced to that at the last show they'll ever play - talk about shitty timing for a cold.

Despite the challenges it was still a great night - I was really glad I got to be there to salute them, to thank them for 20 years of amazing music, to thank them for the 25 times I got to enjoy them live, and to contribute to the epic standing ovations

The ending where they unplugged and played the last 2 songs (Legal Age Life and Record Body Count) standing in the aisles at the center of Massey Hall with the house lights on....was a really nice way to send them off

....also really nice to see Dave Clark and Don Kerr get to play a few songs with them

.....THANKS RHEOS - you will be missed
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    Wish I coulda been there! Sounds like it was a very emotional show, and one can only hope that their demise leads to more people discovering them. I'd argue that the Rheos are/were the most unique band in the world, as there's nothing on the planet that sounds even remotely like them. They will indeed be missed.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
    Personal highlight - Northern Wish....feat. Don Kerr on cello - AMAZING
    Todd76 wrote:

Oh man, that would've been incredible. Just when I thought I couldn't be any more jealous.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
    Todd76 wrote:

YES! I also enjoyed the audience noises assigned by Dave Clark.

It was my first (and last) time seeing them. So I really had nothing to base it on. I still think Martin did a great job.

Oh and wtf was Bookman doing at the beginning?
    Cock Fight.
    Tek Money wrote:
    YES! I also enjoyed the audience noises assigned by Dave Clark.

It was my first (and last) time seeing them. So I really had nothing to base it on. I still think Martin did a great job.

Oh and wtf was Bookman doing at the beginning?

Martin definitely did an admirable job.....but when Martin is at his best his vocals are mindblowing. It's just too bad that it had to be such a struggle/restrained/toned down......seeing Martin really let loose is something to behold.

I kinda liked Bookies intro - I think?????? however, my state of mind was a little compromised/enhanced/altered....especially early in the show.
    Todd76 wrote:
    Martin definitely did an admirable job.....but when Martin is at his best his vocals are mindblowing. It's just too bad that it had to be such a struggle/restrained/toned down......seeing Martin really let loose is something to behold.

I kinda liked Bookies intro - I think?????? however, my state of mind was a little compromised/enhanced/altered....especially early in the show.

The intro gave me goosebumps when he finally introduced the band.

I still think it was a great show... And I have seen Martin sing on TVO and other places.

The band looked like they were having a great time. I need you to explain what drugs you were on so I don't feel like an idiot. Or was it just drunk. And who did you go with?
    Cock Fight.
    Tek Money wrote:
    The intro gave me goosebumps when he finally introduced the band.

I still think it was a great show... And I have seen Martin sing on TVO and other places.

The band looked like they were having a great time. I need you to explain what drugs you were on so I don't feel like an idiot. Or was it just drunk. And who did you go with?

I agree his intro started a little weird - but once he got into it, I thought it was pretty cool (he's a smart guy - and he's obviously got great taste)

Don't get me wrong, it was definitely a great show......I just wanted them to go out on a really high note - wanted it to be perfect

You could definitely tell Martin was kinda disappointed in his inability to perform (and he mentioned how he was trying really hard not to dwell on how bad his voice was.....I really hope it was just a cold and not any permanent damage - he did say he has seen doctors and nothing was working)

I had a couple pints before the show - and then visited a park in the area to have a "smoke"......I was there with 2 friends (2 guys who i've been seeing the Rheos with since highschool)
    Here's a great video from CBC's website. Enjoy!

http://www.cbc.ca/sunday/2007/04/040107_4.html

Also, make sure to tune into CBC Radio 2 on Saturday night at 8pm to hear their entire performance from Massey Hall.

-Tom Waits
    direwolf74 wrote:
    Here's a great video from CBC's website. Enjoy!

http://www.cbc.ca/sunday/2007/04/040107_4.html

Also, make sure to tune into CBC Radio 2 on Saturday night at 8pm to hear their entire performance from Massey Hall.

Thanks - that was great.

I meant to mention the CBC radio broadcast to you.....SORRY. I'm glad you'll have the chance to hear the show - ENJOY.

I've had the Rheos playing on my iPod all morning and its gettin me all sentimental. I was kinda sad on the way to the show - felt like I was on my way to say goodbye to a close friend - listening to them now kinda stings....I miss 'em already.

Here is a link to an article in a local Toronto music mag:

http://www.eye.net/eye/issue/issue_03.29.07/music/lead.php

(make sure to check out the second section "The Ballad of the Rheos (Part II)" with the tributes - pretty cool.......Mount Rheostatic - that would be a site to behold :))
    Todd76 wrote:
    Here is a link to an article in a local Toronto music mag:

http://www.eye.net/eye/issue/issue_03.29.07/music/lead.php

Great article! Thanks! I've been listening to the Rheos non-stop over the last few days. I'm really gonna miss them.

-Tom Waits
    Did either of you get the Tribute album? Because it's sexy(I am only asking you two because we are the only three that seem to care).
    Cock Fight.
    Tek Money wrote:
    Did either of you get the Tribute album? Because it's sexy(I am only asking you two because we are the only three that seem to care).

I have not - although I intend to.....perhaps I may even get it tonight. Did you just buy the download version - or did you order a "real" copy too. I listened to all the snippets on the Zunior site.....they sound really good, nice to see Sarah reunited Weeping Tile for the tribute.
    Todd76 wrote:
    I have not - although I intend to.....perhaps I may even get it tonight. Did you just buy the download version - or did you order a "real" copy too. I listened to all the snippets on the Zunior site.....they sound really good, nice to see Sarah reunited Weeping Tile for the tribute.

And the Local Rabbits got back together too!!! I actually bought it... had it delivered. They were selling it at the show. Or so I thought.
    Cock Fight.
    *bump*

I'm gonna keep this thread alive if it kills me. Your top 10 favorite Rheostatics songs. Let's have 'em!

Here's my list:

1. A Midwinter Night's Dream (the version from "Double Live" is fucking mind-blowing.)
    2. Saskatchewan
    3. California Dreamline
    4. We Went West
    5. King of the Past
    6. Self Serve Gas Station
    7. Bad Time to Be Poor
    8. Marginalized
    9. Claire
    10. Shaved Head

Honorable mentions:
    These Days Are Good for the Canadian Conservative Youth Parth Alliance
    P.I.N.
    All the Same Eyes
    Jesus Was Once a Teenager Too
    Christopher
    Satan is the Whistler

-Tom Waits
    Oooh I'll play!!!

Horses
    Christopher
    Saskatchewan
    P.I.N.
    Rain Rain Rain
    Aliens (Christmas 1988)
    Satan is the Whistler
    Shaved Head
    Legal Age Life
    Introducing Happiness

I am also OBSESSED with Martin's album We didn't even Suspect that He was the Poppy Salesman... Sooo good.
    Cock Fight.
    Tek Money wrote:
    I am also OBSESSED with Martin's album We didn't even Suspect that He was the Poppy Salesman... Sooo good.

I freakin' LOVE that album. Definitely one of the favorites in my collection.

-Tom Waits
    It really sucks that my first time seeing the Rheo's was also my last. I am looking forward to future projects though. Keeping my hopes up.
    Cock Fight.
    Tek Money wrote:
    It really sucks that my first time seeing the Rheo's was also my last. I am looking forward to future projects though. Keeping my hopes up.

I'm sure Tielli will be working on more solo projects in the future. Tim has a great new band called The Violet Archers, and Bidini is a hell of a writer. If you haven't read them yet, I definitely recommend checking out his books "On a Cold Road: Tales of Adventure in Canadian Rock", "Tropic of Hockey" and "The Best Game You Can Name". All three are excellent and impossible to put down.

-Tom Waits
    direwolf74 wrote:
    I'm sure Tielli will be working on more solo projects in the future. Tim has a great new band called The Violet Archers, and Bidini is a hell of a writer. If you haven't read them yet, I definitely recommend checking out his books "On a Cold Road: Tales of Adventure in Canadian Rock", "Tropic of Hockey" and "The Best Game You Can Name". All three are excellent and impossible to put down.

Yes I do enjoy Bidini's books. I just picked up The Five Hole and I love it.

I have heard good things about The Violet Archers. I will have to sample some music from them.
    Cock Fight.
    Tek Money wrote:
    Yes I do enjoy Bidini's books. I just picked up The Five Hole and I love it.

I've been meaning to read The Five Hole, but I haven't picked it up yet. I've heard it's hilarious.

-Tom Waits
    My top 10 (in order - I think) .....this is gonna be hard.

1) Row
    2) Christopher
    3) Northern Wish (Group of 7 version)
    4) A Midwinter Nights Dream
    5) Self Serve Gas Station
    6) California Dreamline
    7) Saskatchewan
    8) Making Progress
    9) PIN
    10) In This Town

Honourable mention: Satan Is The Whistler, The Fire, Horses, You Are A Treasure, Jesus Was Once A Teenager Too, Onilleys Strange Dream, Aliens, Shaved Head, King Of The Past, I Fab Thee (I can't stop naming songs....ahhhhhhhh :))
    Tek Money wrote:
    And the Local Rabbits got back together too!!! I actually bought it... had it delivered. They were selling it at the show. Or so I thought.

I tried to see if they had it at the merch table - but I couldnt get anywhere near it......saw the poster that Martin did for the show - looked very cool, but I didnt see any of the CD's

Havent decided if I am just going to buy the online download from the Zunior site....or if I need to get the actual physical disc as well. Is there anything exciting/interesting in the packaging????
    Todd76 wrote:
    I tried to see if they had it at the merch table - but I couldnt get anywhere near it......saw the poster that Martin did for the show - looked very cool, but I didnt see any of the CD's

Havent decided if I am just going to buy the online download from the Zunior site....or if I need to get the actual physical disc as well. Is there anything exciting/interesting in the packaging????

Nothing I can think of... If you want I can just YSI it for you... along with that Decemberists album I promised. Sorry I had a really bad day yesterday.
    Cock Fight.
    Todd76 wrote:
    My top 10 (in order - I think) .....this is gonna be hard.

1) Row
    2) Christopher
    3) Northern Wish (Group of 7 version)
    4) A Midwinter Nights Dream
    5) Self Serve Gas Station
    6) California Dreamline
    7) Saskatchewan
    8) Making Progress
    9) PIN
    10) In This Town

Honourable mention: Satan Is The Whistler, The Fire, Horses, You Are A Treasure, Jesus Was Once A Teenager Too, Onilleys Strange Dream, Aliens, Shaved Head, King Of The Past, I Fab Thee (I can't stop naming songs....ahhhhhhhh :))

I Fab Thee *sigh* It's gonna be my wedding song. :D
    Cock Fight.
    direwolf74 wrote:
    I've been meaning to read The Five Hole, but I haven't picked it up yet. I've heard it's hilarious.

My boyfriend went to the reading (by Bidini) in Toronto and said that he couldn't stop laughing at the improve group that was acting it out. I had to work. Ugh.
    Cock Fight.
    Tek Money wrote:
    Nothing I can think of... If you want I can just YSI it for you... along with that Decemberists album I promised. Sorry I had a really bad day yesterday.

Thanks for the offer....but i'm gonna buy the tribute album in one form or another - gotta support the cause

(no rush on the Decemberists - whenever you get around to it)