Most Impressive Vocal Performances of the '00s

2»

Comments

• BenzorBenzor Posts: 886
    3 words

Ticks and Leeches
  • LiftedLifted Posts: 1,836
    gleemonex wrote:
    '90s is too easy. List your favourite vocal performances of the past seven years.

At The Drive-In - Arcarsenal
    Dandy Warhols - The Gospel, Horse Pills
    Death From Above 1979 - If We Don't Make It We'll Fake It, Pull Out
    Eagles of Death Metal - Only Want You, Speaking In Tongues, San Berdoo Bunburn, I Want You So Hard, Cherry Cola
    Mars Volta - Roulette Dares, Drunkship of Lanterns, L'Via L'Viaquez
    Pearl Jam - Nothing As It Seems, Save You, Life Wasted, Come Back
    QOTSA - Auto Pilot, Better Living Through Chemistry, In The Fade, Millionaire, Hanging Tree, God is in the Radio, Song For The Deaf, Broken Box, Tangled up in Plaid
    Red Hot Chili Peppers - Especially in Michigan, Warlocks, She's Only 18, Wet Sand, Make You Feel Better, Turn it Again

wow....are you serious. are you really talking about vocal performances or just your favorite songs of the new millenium because from what i see there aren't too many great vocal performances that you listed. i'll admit i haven't heard some of it but.....chili peppers? unlike a lot of people on this board i am not a chili pepper basher. they're actaully one of my favorite bands but anthony keidus is not a great vocalist by any means. maybe unique, but he is def. not a very good singer. and i love pearl jam and eds' voice sounds great live but those studio recordings you listed aren't that great of vocal performances although the songs kick ass. qotsa...come on now.
    i'd say jim james is probably the best vocalist in rock of the new millenium so far
  • bovy_j wrote:
    I believe you're leaving one out by that little band we call Pearl Jam...

and that is Pearl Jam - Love Reign O'er Me

I know it's very recent... but I have to agree.

"Army reserve" - Pearl Jam is a vocal performance that blew me away too.

9/17/95-New Orleans,LA 8/14/00-New Orleans,LA 4/8/03-New Orleans,LA 4/13/03-Tampa,FL 10/8/04-Kissimmee,FL 8/5/07-Chicago,IL 6/16/08-Columbia,SC 6/23/09-(EV Solo)Atlanta,GA 5/1/10-New Orleans,LA 9/21/12-Pensacola,FL 11/1/13-New Orleans,LA 4/11/16-Tampa,FL  4/23/16-New Orleans,LA

• Two words:

Martin Sexton

SHOW COUNT: (157) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=97, US=116, CAN=15, Europe=20 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:   Ohana x2  Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• "Love Reign O'er Me" is the only vocal performance I've heard since 2000 (that's music made since 2000 obviously) that completely floored me. I was trembling and just fixated on my Itunes scroll bar for over an hour playing it on repeat. Chilling.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
    "Love Reign O'er Me" is the only vocal performance I've heard since 2000 (that's music made since 2000 obviously) that completely floored me. I was trembling and just fixated on my Itunes scroll bar for over an hour playing it on repeat. Chilling.

i love pearl jam, they are my favorite band of all time and that's one of ed's best vocal performances in the studio in recent years but if you think that's the best vocals done since 2000 than you obviously don't listen to a lot of different music...or you just don't have much of an ear for good vocalists.
  • Summergirl-Myles Kennedy

Fucking hell yeah, any Jeff Buckley fans should check out the song Summergirl, reminds me a lot of Buckley. Kennedy's range and control is unbelievable.
  • i love pearl jam, they are my favorite band of all time and that's one of ed's best vocal performances in the studio in recent years but if you think that's the best vocals done since 2000 than you obviously don't listen to a lot of different music...or you just don't have much of an ear for good vocalists.
    There are plenty of singers better than Ed, but that performance gives me chills. It's all about what a singer can do for you. And for me, that brought out some pretty high emotions.

"Make our day"
  • Alex_CoeAlex_Coe Posts: 762
    Everything by Jack White and Mark Lanegan's Bubblegum.
  • wow....are you serious. are you really talking about vocal performances or just your favorite songs of the new millenium because from what i see there aren't too many great vocal performances that you listed. i'll admit i haven't heard some of it but.....chili peppers? unlike a lot of people on this board i am not a chili pepper basher. they're actaully one of my favorite bands but anthony keidus is not a great vocalist by any means. maybe unique, but he is def. not a very good singer. and i love pearl jam and eds' voice sounds great live but those studio recordings you listed aren't that great of vocal performances although the songs kick ass. qotsa...come on now.
    i'd say jim james is probably the best vocalist in rock of the new millenium so far

I don't listen to MMJ so I can't really comment on that, but I will defend my list. The Chili Peppers don't really please everyone I know, but I think Anthony Kiedis' vocals on Stadium Arcadium are the best he's done in years. I don't see how you can think that Ed's vocals aren't great on Nothing As It Seems, Save You, Life Wasted and Come Back. And lots of the Queens songs I listed are sung by Mark Lanegan, who is one of the best vocalists I've ever heard. Those songs by him with Queens are just as impressive as lots of the stuff he did with the Screaming Trees.

btw, if you've never heard them try giving the Eagles of Death Metal a shot and telling me those aren't great vocals!
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • gleemonex wrote:
    I don't listen to MMJ so I can't really comment on that, but I will defend my list. The Chili Peppers don't really please everyone I know, but I think Anthony Kiedis' vocals on Stadium Arcadium are the best he's done in years. I don't see how you can think that Ed's vocals aren't great on Nothing As It Seems, Save You, Life Wasted and Come Back. And lots of the Queens songs I listed are sung by Mark Lanegan, who is one of the best vocalists I've ever heard. Those songs by him with Queens are just as impressive as lots of the stuff he did with the Screaming Trees.

btw, if you've never heard them try giving the Eagles of Death Metal a shot and telling me those aren't great vocals!
    Great vocals and 'impressive' vocals are different things. Ed sings NAIS perfectly but doesn't really give us anything special in doing so. (and it could use some background vocals :p )

"Make our day"
  • Murray Lightburn
    Cock Fight.
    There are plenty of singers better than Ed, but that performance gives me chills. It's all about what a singer can do for you. And for me, that brought out some pretty high emotions.

fair enough....yeah ed's emotion when he sings is really what does it for me as well.
    gleemonex wrote:

i'll have to check that out....however from your list of great vocal performances that i have heard, i find it a little hard to take you seriously. although i do enjoy a lot of that music.........and just because anthony kiedis' vocals on the new album are the best HE'S done in years doesn't make them great by any means, or even good for that matter(i think they're just fitting for they're style of music). and i don't really know too much about qotsa but i have one of their albums...good album but nothing impressed me about the vocals, and i saw them live and they actually sucked in my opinion and the singer wasn't that great. i don't know who this guy mark lanegan is and if i saw him or not but whoever the guys were that were singing weren't too spectacular.
  • ManimalManimal Posts: 152
    wow....are you serious. are you really talking about vocal performances or just your favorite songs of the new millenium because from what i see there aren't too many great vocal performances that you listed. i'll admit i haven't heard some of it but.....chili peppers? unlike a lot of people on this board i am not a chili pepper basher. they're actaully one of my favorite bands but anthony keidus is not a great vocalist by any means. maybe unique, but he is def. not a very good singer. and i love pearl jam and eds' voice sounds great live but those studio recordings you listed aren't that great of vocal performances although the songs kick ass. qotsa...come on now.

Agreed, didn't think any of those stood out as great vocalist.
    I can't get enough of this preformance though, from the Leonard Cohen, I'm your Man movie. Just foudn it on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ms91KrPN0Ss
    DVD: http://db.etree.org/Manimal
    Posters: www.expressobeans.com/trader.php?id=Manimal&view=4
  • i love pearl jam, they are my favorite band of all time and that's one of ed's best vocal performances in the studio in recent years but if you think that's the best vocals done since 2000 than you obviously don't listen to a lot of different music...or you just don't have much of an ear for good vocalists.

If you don't know who Mark Lanegan is, then you shouldn't be accusing anyone else of not listening to enough different music or not having a good ear for good vocalists.
  • Fucking hell yeah, any Jeff Buckley fans should check out the song Summergirl, reminds me a lot of Buckley. Kennedy's range and control is unbelievable.

The end section of this song is simply amazing, the only song where a vocalist does anything better IMO is Jeff Buckley in the song "Grace". Wonder if he'll do anything better on the next AB album.......
    The wind is blowing cold
    Have we lost our way tonight?
    Have we lost our hope to sorrow?

Feels like were all alone
    Running further from what’s right
    And there are no more heroes to follow

So what are we becoming?
    Where did we go wrong?
  • YukikoYukiko Posts: 109
    Jorn Lande... Young forever
    Anathema... A natural disaster
    VR... Fall to pieces
    Dream Theater... Octavarium
    PJ...Love Reign O'er Me

...jamas fue pensado llegar a esto...
    hendrix78 wrote:
    If you don't know who Mark Lanegan is, then you shouldn't be accusing anyone else of not listening to enough different music or not having a good ear for good vocalists.

well if not knowing who one particular guy is means i don't listen to a lot of different music then i guess you are exactly right. and if i don't know what he sounds like i can't comment of what i think of his voice. however i can comment on what i have heard and none of the vocal performances he listed that i have heard stood out as great to me. so i don't know what your point is besides the fact that you've got something going on for mark lanegan.
  • tonadaxtonadax Posts: 594
    three libras, weak and powerless- a perfect circle
    broken wings, down to my last- alter bridge
    minerva- deftones
    too cool queenie- STP
    broken- seether
    pull harder on the strings of your martyr- trivium
    slither, fall to pieces- VR
    gasoline- AS
    life wasted- PJ
    question- SOAD
    Heroes, burning bright- shinedown
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    The end section of this song is simply amazing, the only song where a vocalist does anything better IMO is Jeff Buckley in the song "Grace". Wonder if he'll do anything better on the next AB album.......

I think the next AB album will quite different from ODR, since most of the album was written before Myles got involved. I'm sure he'll deliver some impressive stuff.
  • I think the next AB album will quite different from ODR, since most of the album was written before Myles got involved. I'm sure he'll deliver some impressive stuff.

As much as I enjoyed the first album, I really hope its not along the same lines as ODR. I do agree with you, he will offer something special as he always does. James LaBrie on various Dream Theater and solo work has impressed in the 00's as well. Technically he is an outstanding vocalist.
    The wind is blowing cold
    Have we lost our way tonight?
    Have we lost our hope to sorrow?

Feels like were all alone
    Running further from what’s right
    And there are no more heroes to follow

So what are we becoming?
    Where did we go wrong?
  • hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    well if not knowing who one particular guy is means i don't listen to a lot of different music then i guess you are exactly right. and if i don't know what he sounds like i can't comment of what i think of his voice. however i can comment on what i have heard and none of the vocal performances he listed that i have heard stood out as great to me. so i don't know what your point is besides the fact that you've got something going on for mark lanegan.

I was really just trying to knock you off your high horse a bit. You don't like his choices, that's fine, but telling him he must not have a good ear for vocalists just came off as pompous in my opinion.

You really should check out Mark Lanegan, though. He sounds a little like a more in tune Tom Waits. I recommend Sweet Oblivion and Dust by the Screaming Trees. All of his solo stuff is good as well.
    hendrix78 wrote:
    I was really just trying to knock you off your high horse a bit. You don't like his choices, that's fine, but telling him he must not have a good ear for vocalists just came off as pompous in my opinion.

You really should check out Mark Lanegan, though. He sounds a little like a more in tune Tom Waits. I recommend Sweet Oblivion and Dust by the Screaming Trees. All of his solo stuff is good as well.

yeah i see what you're saying....i didn't really tell him he didn't have a good ear for vocalists, i just said it looks like either he's just picking stuff that he likes whether the vocals are good or not (which is the point of this thread) or he hasn't heard of too many good vocal performances. either way i don't really care. and i did check out mark lanegan by the way. i have heard of the screaming trees and i have heard him do stuff with qotsa, just not a huge fan of either and didn't know him by name. i listened to some of his solo stuff on a website and the music was descent but i definatly wasn't blown away by his vocals. they were unique and i'm sure if you like his sound you'd think he would love to hear him sing, but his vocal ability sounded pretty average to me
    i'm sure if you like his sound you'd think he would love to hear him sing, but his vocal ability sounded pretty average to me

i don't know what i was typing at the end there...i mean if you like his sound i'm sure you'd love to hear him sing
  • Two words:

Martin Sexton

Can't wait for his new album - but he's definately better live than on his studio recordings.