Most Impressive Vocal Performances of the '00s

gleemonexgleemonex Posts: 848
edited February 2007 in Other Music
'90s is too easy. List your favourite vocal performances of the past seven years.

At The Drive-In - Arcarsenal
Dandy Warhols - The Gospel, Horse Pills
Death From Above 1979 - If We Don't Make It We'll Fake It, Pull Out
Eagles of Death Metal - Only Want You, Speaking In Tongues, San Berdoo Bunburn, I Want You So Hard, Cherry Cola
Mars Volta - Roulette Dares, Drunkship of Lanterns, L'Via L'Viaquez
Pearl Jam - Nothing As It Seems, Save You, Life Wasted, Come Back
QOTSA - Auto Pilot, Better Living Through Chemistry, In The Fade, Millionaire, Hanging Tree, God is in the Radio, Song For The Deaf, Broken Box, Tangled up in Plaid
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Especially in Michigan, Warlocks, She's Only 18, Wet Sand, Make You Feel Better, Turn it Again
“Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• bovy_jbovy_j Posts: 1,008
    I believe you're leaving one out by that little band we call Pearl Jam...

and that is Pearl Jam - Love Reign O'er Me
  • ^ How can you even talk about making this list without Chris Cornell?

Cornell
    Say Hello To Heaven
    Call Me A Dog
    Jesus Christ Pose
    Slaves and Bulldozers
    Superunknown (the ALBUM)
    Wave Goodbye (30 seconds of incredible falsetto)
    Disapearing One

[/u]Jeff Buckley[/u]
    Corpus Christi
    Grace
    Everybody Here Wants You (best falsetto ever?)

Thom Yorke
    Fake Plastic Trees
    Let Down

Vedder
    Release
    Porch
    Go
    WMA
    Blood
    RVM
    Indifference
    Last Exit
    Nothingman
    Spin the Black Circle
    Present Tense
    Given To Fly
    In Hiding

Billy Corgan
    X.Y.U.
    Fuck You
    Geek USA
    Rhinocerous
    Disarm
    Cherub Rock
    ... you know what, fuck I'd end up listing half their catalouge. Say what you will about him having a bad voice but that mother fucker can belt it if you can get past how weird it is. Maybe the best scream of the era after Cornell. Beautiful falsetto,.. And most importantly he can write a vocal melody that could destroy anyone.

misread the title for 90s :p

I'll keep my list there because it took me ten minutes to type.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"

Cornell
    Say Hello To Heaven
    Call Me A Dog
    Jesus Christ Pose
    Slaves and Bulldozers
    Superunknown (the ALBUM)
    Disapearing One

[/u]Jeff Buckley[/u]
    Corpus Christi
    Grace

Thom Yorke
    Fake Plastic Trees
    Let Down

Vedder
    Release
    Porch
    Go
    WMA
    Blood
    RVM
    Indifference
    Last Exit
    Nothingman
    Spin the Black Circle
    Present Tense
    Given To Fly
    In Hiding

Billy Corgan
    X.Y.U.
    Fuck You
    Geek USA
    Rhinocerous
    Disarm
    Cherub Rock
    ... you know what, fuck I'd end up listing half their catalouge. Say what you will about him having a bad voice but that mother fucker can belt it if you can get past how weird it is. Maybe the best scream of the era after Cornell. Beautiful falsetto,.. And most importantly he can write a vocal melody that could destroy anyone.

You're in the wrong thread.
    I share a cigarette with negativity.
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    ^ How can you even talk about making this list without Chris Cornell?

Cornell
    Say Hello To Heaven
    Call Me A Dog
    Jesus Christ Pose
    Slaves and Bulldozers
    Superunknown (the ALBUM)
    Disapearing One

[/u]Jeff Buckley[/u]
    Corpus Christi
    Grace

Thom Yorke
    Fake Plastic Trees
    Let Down

Vedder
    Release
    Porch
    Go
    WMA
    Blood
    RVM
    Indifference
    Last Exit
    Nothingman
    Spin the Black Circle
    Present Tense
    Given To Fly
    In Hiding

Billy Corgan
    X.Y.U.
    Fuck You
    Geek USA
    Rhinocerous
    Disarm
    Cherub Rock

Most, if not all of those vocal performances are from the 90's, and therefore don't make the list.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • Yeah I realized that as soon as I finished.

"Make our day"

I know!! Omitting Chris Cornell from a best vocalists lists would be like omitting Michael Jordan from a best basketball players list! doesn't anyone realize that Cornell is the best rock singer ever?
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    I know!! Omitting Chris Cornell from a best vocalists lists would be like omitting Michael Jordan from a best basketball players list! doesn't anyone realize that Cornell is the best rock singer ever?

Now this is great humor. But, I only know that cause I saw your responses in the other thread.
  • I know!! Omitting Chris Cornell from a best vocalists lists would be like omitting Michael Jordan from a best basketball players list! doesn't anyone realize that Cornell is the best rock singer ever?
    It'd be funny if it wasn't true. Omitting Chris from this type of list (esp if it was the 90s like i thought) WOULD be like omitting MJ from a best basketball players list, and he IS one of the best rock singers ever.

"Make our day"
  • My Morning Jacket- I Will Sing You Songs, Don Donte
  • It'd be funny if it wasn't true. Omitting Chris from this type of list (esp if it was the 90s like i thought) WOULD be like omitting MJ from a best basketball players list, and he IS one of the best rock singers ever.

I'd put him in the top 10 of the 90's. maybe top 5. but I wouldn't go any furthur...as you know.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • clayton12 wrote:
    My Morning Jacket- I Will Sing You Songs, Don Donte
    Oh man can that guy sing.

"Make our day"
  • I'd put him in the top 10 of the 90's. maybe top 5. but I wouldn't go any furthur...as you know.
    Well that's a personal problem you have with him. Take how technically incredible his voice is.. set aside all personal bias.. NOBODY could outsing him.

"Make our day"
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    The Grudge, Ticks & leeches and 10,000 days by Tool
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    The Grudge, Ticks & leeches and 10,000 days by Tool

Oh yeah! I forgot Lateralus was in the '00s. I'd add Ticks & Leeches, Parabol/Parabola and Lateralus to my list.
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    gleemonex wrote:
    Oh yeah! I forgot Lateralus was in the '00s. I'd add Ticks & Leeches, Parabol/Parabola and Lateralus to my list.
    Ill add parabol/parabola and lateralus to mine :) I love parabola so much.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Bjork - too many to list for her...everyone else is pretty much a distant second
    Bixler-Zavala - Televators
    Gavin Hayes - Penguins in the Desert
    Keenan - Ticks, Pot
    Reznor - Know What You Are, Line Begins To Blur
  • Well that's a personal problem you have with him. Take how technically incredible his voice is.. set aside all personal bias.. NOBODY could outsing him.

I don't have a personal problem I have with him. I have some of his CDs and I said plenty of times in the other thread that I think he's good. but I don't find his voice to be "technically incredible" by any means. I actually prefer Cornell when he's not screaming. Songs like Fell on Black Days for instance. but when he gets screaming...I dunno. It's okay sometimes and sometimes it sounds like a cat getting raped or something

I have no personal bias against Chris Cornell...but I disagree when you say "NOBODY could outsing him." I think you should set your pro-Cornell bias aside.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    I don't have a personal problem I have with him. I have some of his CDs and I said plenty of times in the other thread that I think he's good. but I don't find his voice to be "technically incredible" by any means. I actually prefer Cornell when he's not screaming. Songs like Fell on Black Days for instance. but when he gets screaming...I dunno. It's okay sometimes and sometimes it sounds like a cat getting raped or something

I have no personal bias against Chris Cornell...but I disagree when you say "NOBODY could outsing him." I think you should set your pro-Cornell bias aside.

I totally agree with this. The guy can sing really well when he's singing, not shrieking.
  • Neko Case - Star Witness, Look For Me (I'll Be Around)
    Ralph Stanley - O Death (O Brother Where Art Thou S/T)
    The Black Keys - The Lengths
    Drive-By Truckers - Daylight, Moved
    The White Stripes - You've Got Her In Your Pocket
    The Derek Trucks Band - Crow Jane

Just a handful of songs where I love the vocals.
    I share a cigarette with negativity.
  • Liam Gallagher- Stop Crying Your Heart Out
    He may not be a technical whiz or screamer like Cornell, but he's unique, he's got swagger, he's charismatic, and he's got soul.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=pMvdXeXjVvM
  • I don't have a personal problem I have with him. I have some of his CDs and I said plenty of times in the other thread that I think he's good. but I don't find his voice to be "technically incredible" by any means. I actually prefer Cornell when he's not screaming. Songs like Fell on Black Days for instance. but when he gets screaming...I dunno. It's okay sometimes and sometimes it sounds like a cat getting raped or something

"It's okay sometimes and sometimes it sounds like a cat getting raped or something"

That's a personal distaste for him (somewhat) ;)

By technically I mean his range, etc. He had the best stats lets put it that way. Doesn't make him your favorite ball player just cuz he can hit the ball farthest though.. I think Ed's got more home runs even if Cornell can hit it a hundred miles. Did that analogy make ANy sense? :p

"Make our day"
  • BrainofdzBrainofdz Posts: 1,617
    anything by Christina Aguilara

not a fan, but man, can she sing.
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

When you see me on the street, yell out "FAVO!!!"

I've been to alot of Pearl Jam shows;So fucking what.
  • Brainofdz wrote:
    anything by Christina Aguilara

not a fan, but man, can she sing.
    hate to say it but i agree...

dunno if i'd put her on this kind of list, but she can sing..

and I REALLY hate to say it but I like the chorus in her song "beautiful" quite a bit.

I feel a little ashamed.

"Make our day"
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Cookie Monster !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    MAn, you just can't beat him for output, he is singing on everybody's albums these days !!
    Music is not a competetion.
  • felixfelix Posts: 19
    My vote goes to Matthew Bellamy of Muse for the stunning work on Absolution.

Better singing style and technique than Thom Yorke, however I like Yorke's lyrics better. So overall a tie. Nevertheless, Matt can sing among the best.
    Sorry... i got nothing witty to say in the time allotted to me.

• BrainofdzBrainofdz Posts: 1,617
    felix wrote:
    My vote goes to Matthew Bellamy of Muse for the stunning work on Absolution.

Better singing style and technique than Thom Yorke, however I like Yorke's lyrics better. So overall a tie. Nevertheless, Matt can sing among the best.

Muse is a sad rip off of radiohead on a good day.

Please, don't ever mention the two in the same sentence unless its to say just that.
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

When you see me on the street, yell out "FAVO!!!"

I've been to alot of Pearl Jam shows;So fucking what.
  • Brainofdz wrote:
    Muse is a sad rip off of radiohead on a good day.

Please, don't ever mention the two in the same sentence unless its to say just that.
    I endorse this mans views.
  • Rosetta Stoned-Maynard James Keenan
    Summergirl-Myles Kennedy
    Someone To Die For-Jimmy Gnecco
    Pick a Christina Aguilera song
    Starlight-Matthew Bellamy
    There There-Thom Yorke
    Down to My Last-Myles Kennedy
    Show Me How to Live-Audioslave
    The wind is blowing cold
    Have we lost our way tonight?
    Have we lost our hope to sorrow?