Chris Cornell to Open for Linkin Park

bryn_cmbsbryn_cmbs Posts: 407
edited April 2008 in Other Music
LOL

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003784993

Linkin Park Snags Cornell, Bravery For Projekt Revolution
Linkin Park

April 03, 2008, 8:00 AM ET

Mitchell Peters, L.A.
Linkin Park, Chris Cornell, the Bravery and Ashes Divide (featuring A Perfect Circle's Billy Howerdel) will perform on the main stage of the 2008 Projekt Revolution tour, set to begin July 16 at the Tweeter Center outside Boston.

The fifth installation of the Linkin Park-reared trek is scheduled to visit 24 U.S. cities this summer and wrap Aug. 24 at the Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion in Houston. Atreyu, 10 Years, Hawthorne Heights, Armor For Sleep and the Street Drum Corps will appear on the smaller Revolution Stage.

For a limited time beginning tomorrow (April 4), Linkin Park and tour producer Live Nation say they will absorb service fees for tickets purchased through the band's fan club, lpunderground.com, or livenation.com.

"As a thank you to our fan club, we're picking up part of the tab for their tickets to this summer's Projekt Revolution," Linking Park co-frontman Mike Shinoda said. "We'll be paying the service charge on fan club pre-sale tickets, which will save each fan roughly $8-$11. Our fan club has been incredibly loyal and supportive, and we hope this gesture lets them know how much we appreciate them."

Tickets for select dates go on sale to the general public beginning April 11 via linkinpark.com and livenation.com. Ticket prices for the trek have not yet been released, but Linkin Park will donate $1 from each ducat to Music for Relief, which supports disaster relief efforts and the reduction of global warming.

Projekt Revolution tour sponsors include Major League Baseball, Monster Energy Drink, Verizon Wireless and Nowwhat.com. Last year's outing featured My Chemical Romance, Taking Back Sunday, HIM, Placebo, Julien-K, Mindless Self Indulgence, Saosin, the Bled, Styles Of Beyond and Madina Lake.

Linkin Park will be on the road promoting its newest album "Minutes to Midnight," which dropped last May via Machine Shop/Warner Bros. The album, Linkin Park's first in four years, has sold 2.3 million copies in the United States, according to Nielsen SoundScan
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Chris, your officially a fucking pussy!! ProjeKt revolution?!?!?!?!?!?!? get a life. that "festival" is a fucking joke!!!! cmon, its spelt with a "K". Your officially a waste of talent, go sing on american idol next year.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Fine. Nice to see he's musically open-minded and not as prejudiced as some.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • digsterdigster Posts: 1,293
    I'm no big Cornell fan, but considering PJ played a show with Linkin Park also, I don't think we should be so quick to judge.
  • HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Chris, your officially a fucking pussy!! ProjeKt revolution?!?!?!?!?!?!? get a life. that "festival" is a fucking joke!!!! cmon, its spelt with a "K". Your officially a waste of talent, go sing on american idol next year.

Do you remember 'Superunknown'? It's not even a word. Neither is 'Spoonman.' In fact those lyrics are ridiculous. Great album though.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

• Uh, Chris already played a whole bunch of shows with Linkin Park last year. Old news. Seriously.
  • mattosbornemattosborne Posts: 339
    At the risk of being torn to shreds, This is actually a huge step up from the previous few Projekt tours. I don't care much for Linkin Park but, at least its not My Chemical Romance and Taking Back Sunday like last time. And, picking up service fees for fan club members is a cool thing to do.
    The Official Matt Cameron appreciation signature!
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    Sheesh, this guy gets flack for everything around here.

I've never been a big fan of his (except for maybe Euphoria Morning), but people around here are so judgmental living up on their soapboxes.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Still not as bad as Jerry Cantrell opening for Creed.
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Sheesh, this guy gets flack for everything around here.

I've never been a big fan of his (except for maybe Euphoria Morning), but people around here are so judgmental living up on their soapboxes.

Actually, I mostly see people worshiping him here. Opening for Linkin Park is career suicide in my opinion. Pretty embarrassing gig for him.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • The RHCP get blown off the stage nightly by their openers, so Chris will get to do the same to Linkin Park

i think it's good Chris is exposing himself to younger crowds. Maybe they will turn in the Linkin Park CDs for Soundgarden albums.
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • Seems about right, Cornell has officially cemented his place as the Rod Stewart of the grunge movement.
  • holtzholtz Posts: 509
    The RHCP get blown off the stage nightly by their openers, so Chris will get to do the same to Linkin Park

i think it's good Chris is exposing himself to younger crowds. Maybe they will turn in the Linkin Park CDs for Soundgarden albums.

Sad thing is most people at Linkin Park shows probably don't know who Chris is. It is good for him to show some younger music fans who he is and how great his voice is. I saw Chris last year and the younger fans went crazy for Audioslave stuff but just stood still for Soungarden stuff, minus Outshined, and seemed to not know the songs.
  • gtrplyrgtrplyr Posts: 115
    Still not as bad as Jerry Cantrell opening for Creed.
    I don't see whats so bad about that.

Actually, I saw Creed on their first tour and they kicked all kinds of ass.
  • gtrplyr wrote:

Dude. Watch your back around here, seriously. ;)

• facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    Dude. Watch your back around here, seriously. ;)

Lol, I hear Scott Stapp is into kicking his wife's ass, but that's about it!
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    gtrplyr wrote:

Even if they weren't terrible, which they were (excepting My Own Prison which is just mediocre so I guess you saw them at their best time), Jerry opening for them is insane. Creed wouldn't exist if it wasn't for the "grunge" "scene" that Jerry helped create.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    Actually, I mostly see people worshiping him here. Opening for Linkin Park is career suicide in my opinion. Pretty embarrassing gig for him.
    Yeh, I agree with this. So much drooling over him it's sometimes embarrassing. Let the piss takers have their fun. :)
  • CC opened for Linkin Park on their Australia/NZ tour last year. I gather Chester Bennington from LP is a longtime fan of CC so presumably that's why they've asked him to tour with them again in the US.

Undoubtedly some of their younger fans in Australia didn't have a clue who he was or what bands he'd been in, but isn't that a good way of introducing yourself to new people? Preaching to the converted all the time is a better recipe for "career suicide" than reaching out to new and different audiences, if you ask me....
    www.myspace.com/clareobrienwright
    www.chriscornell.org.uk
  • mole1985mole1985 Posts: 1,119
    CC opened for Linkin Park on their Australia/NZ tour last year. I gather Chester Bennington from LP is a longtime fan of CC so presumably that's why they've asked him to tour with them again in the US.

Undoubtedly some of their younger fans in Australia didn't have a clue who he was or what bands he'd been in, but isn't that a good way of introducing yourself to new people? Preaching to the converted all the time is a better recipe for "career suicide" than reaching out to new and different audiences, if you ask me....

Amen sister...
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007
    CC opened for Linkin Park on their Australia/NZ tour last year. I gather Chester Bennington from LP is a longtime fan of CC so presumably that's why they've asked him to tour with them again in the US.

Ah the voice of reason! If Chris didn't take risks in his career, he would have been washed up a long time ago.
  • puremagicpuremagic Posts: 1,907
    Didn't someone just recently post that Chris was working with Timberland (producer) on a new sound. If so, wouldn't Linkin Park, a group he was comfortable with be a good tour to break out some of this new material?
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
  • puremagic wrote:
    Didn't someone just recently post that Chris was working with Timberland (producer) on a new sound. If so, wouldn't Linkin Park, a group he was comfortable with be a good tour to break out some of this new material?

Hmm.. good theory.

• holtz wrote:
    Sad thing is most people at Linkin Park shows probably don't know who Chris is. It is good for him to show some younger music fans who he is and how great his voice is. I saw Chris last year and the younger fans went crazy for Audioslave stuff but just stood still for Soungarden stuff, minus Outshined, and seemed to not know the songs.

Exactly, this is why Chris is doing it. So he can build up his fanbase again.

He is becoming to much about the money.
    And this is funny comming from a guy who basically stated his whole career has been about the art.
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
  • Sheesh, this guy gets flack for everything around here.

Its his actions, he hooks differant groups of fans in constantly, and bails on them.
    What kind of soundgarden fans or from his first solo album or even audioslave would want to go to festivals like that or see lincoln park.
    Why couldnt he do bonoroo.

no more shows

And this is funny comming from a guy who basically stated his whole career has been about the art.

It's probably more about continuing his career than about the money. The guy has sold millions of records, I doubt he is hard up for cash.
  • gtrplyr wrote:

Okay, maybee, but when they got popular they changed bigtime.
    for the worse

no more shows
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980

Your logic makes no sense. An artist is all about the money because they try to build a fan base? CC never had a Chris fan base, at least not much of one. Sure he had a SG fan base, a TOTD fan base, an AS fan base but still nobody knows or cares who the fuck CC is. He has no choice but to build a fan base because he really doesn't have one. If CC was into this for the money he would have never left AS. Or, he'd be like the rest of 90's nostalgia acts and try to re-create the success of SG.

He's trying different ways of marketing himself, much like PJ did with Avacodo. Obviously, you don't have to like his direction or music but your complaints seem trivial at best...

For the record, if I was CC, I would have left AS as well...
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • It's probably more about continuing his career than about the money. The guy has sold millions of records, I doubt he is hard up for cash.

It was noted he was broke after sg. He is just weird, I obviously see it from pearl jam eyes anymore.
    Chris in sg is the epithamy of rock and roll.
    I cant stomach all this latest news.

no more shows
  • eyedclaar wrote:
    Your logic makes no sense. An artist is all about the money because they try to build a fan base? CC never had a Chris fan base, at least not much of one. Sure he had a SG fan base, a TOTD fan base, an AS fan base but still nobody knows or cares who the fuck CC is. He has no choice but to build a fan base because he really doesn't have one. If CC was into this for the money he would have never left AS. Or, he'd be like the rest of 90's nostalgia acts and try to re-create the success of SG.

He's trying different ways of marketing himself, much like PJ did with Avacodo. Obviously, you don't have to like his direction or music but your complaints seem trivial at best...

For the record, if I was CC, I would have left AS as well...

Trivial and in the same sentance you say he never had a fanbase, wtf,
    He has had many of fanbases, he is well known.
    He sells out with every thing he does.
    He also has a very big women fanbase.
    It does make sense, if Ed did shit like this he would be a sell out.
    When metallica changed it was about the money. Because they went to more of a rock vs metal sound.
    Look I dont know him, but 99.9 percent of hip hop Is dollars and cents, its for young kids.
    If Ed started doing shit like this the overqall word would be sell out.
    I am not saying its scripture.
    But your telling me in 2 years time he has went from, supergroup powerchords,to small venue solo stuff, to hip hop.
    Thats a big fucking bounce.
    sorry.

I love the I would have left Audioslave as well comments, like it was a 1 time thing.
    They released an album and got payed, and than he bailed. He could have not bullshitted the fans on the previous tour, and just quit before Revalations.
    They were selling out arenas they had tons of fans.

no more shows
  • gtrplyrgtrplyr Posts: 115
    if Chris was only worried about money, we'd be seeing a Soundgarden tour right now.

That is obviously not the case.