Options

Best Irish act?

2»

Comments

• Options
    chris01chris01 Posts: 559
    Quite fond of the Cranberries, the Pogues, Thin Lizzy. Ash are pretty good but the singer has a pretty bad voice.
  • Options
    JaymacJaymac Posts: 513
    Inkdaub wrote:
    My dog isn't Irish but I was going to name him Seanchai until I discovered an Irish rapper using the name and it ruined it for me. Seanchai...shan-uh-kee...means storyteller. Anyway, I can't name my dog after arapper so I named him after a real storyteller instead...Dashiell as in Hammett. He's a good dog. What are we talking about again?

Our next dog is going to be called Daoife (What's Daoife? Why, D's fer dog, silly ;))
    23/08/2006 - Dublin; 29/08/2006 - Arnhem; 30/08/2006 - Antwerp; 18/06/2007 - London; 18/08/2009 - London<br>

Proud member of the European Touring Bus 2006!
  • Options
    MetalGod75MetalGod75 Posts: 262
    Thin Fuckin Lizzy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Cornell pwns u
  • Options
    karma defectkarma defect Posts: 5,483
    The Frames are pretty damn good.

I have a live album and I saw a documentary on them. I enjoyed it very much.
    « One man's glory is another man's hell.
    You’re on the outside, never bound by such a spell.
    Together in the darkness, alone in the light.
    I took it upon me to be yours, Timmy,
    I’ll lead your angels and demons at play tonight......»
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    i have to vote for thin lizzy.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    karma defectkarma defect Posts: 5,483
    I think I would have to say The Cranberries. Unless Damien Rice is Irish. I saw him mentioned on page one, but I always thought he was from Wales.
    « One man's glory is another man's hell.
    You’re on the outside, never bound by such a spell.
    Together in the darkness, alone in the light.
    I took it upon me to be yours, Timmy,
    I’ll lead your angels and demons at play tonight......»
  • Options
    daniel o'donnell. he's a babe.

ooh and not forgetting johnny logan. getting into that eurovision spirit n all.
    http://www.myspace.com/cellophanehand
    free your mind... and your ass will follow...
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    daniel o'donnell. he's a babe.

ooh and not forgetting johnny logan. getting into that eurovision spirit n all.

And Dickie Rock.

Control yourself, ladies:
    http://www.irish-showbands.com/images/pop/dickiesolo773.jpg
  • Options
    And Dickie Rock.

Control yourself, ladies:
    http://www.irish-showbands.com/images/pop/dickiesolo773.jpg

Oh my. That's made my day! His teeth are marvellous but I'm not so sure about the ears and hair..... :D
    http://www.myspace.com/cellophanehand
    free your mind... and your ass will follow...
  • Options
    Talking of which, a few times in Ireland I've switched on RTE and Gaybo is hosting some music show or other, and there's this bloke as the guest singer. He looks like a chipvan attendant from Crossmolina, but he wears these ridiculous leather trousers that are eighteen sizes too small for him, and he wears these Bono shades too. He starts striking rock star poses and sings way over the top, out of key, and really thinks he's the pig's whiskers. Sometimes he gets string accompaniment. No, it's not Gavin Friday before you ask. Gav's been around for years. No, this bloke is a bit younger, and is an entirely different phenomenon because he's so bad. Who is he?
  • Options
    depopulationINCdepopulationINC Posts: 2,074
    cranberries, pragues, cranberries, corrs (they are freakin hot...what can I say)
    The only thing I enjoy is having no feelings....being numb rocks!

And I won't make the same mistakes
    (Because I know)
    Because I know how much time that wastes
    (And function)
    Function is the key
  • Options
    fadafada Posts: 1,032
    Talking of which, a few times in Ireland I've switched on RTE and Gaybo is hosting some music show or other, and there's this bloke as the guest singer. He looks like a chipvan attendant from Crossmolina, but he wears these ridiculous leather trousers that are eighteen sizes too small for him, and he wears these Bono shades too. He starts striking rock star poses and sings way over the top, out of key, and really thinks he's the pig's whiskers. Sometimes he gets string accompaniment. No, it's not Gavin Friday before you ask. Gav's been around for years. No, this bloke is a bit younger, and is an entirely different phenomenon because he's so bad. Who is he?

Is it Jack L you are thinking of. Has he black hair and going for the kind of Elvis look?
  • Options
    That's the man, I think. I'll google. Cheers.
  • Options
    Yep, that's him.
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    Inkdaub wrote:
    I used to be heavily into Enya and Clannad. I still like them but don't listen as much as I used to. Van Morrison is Irish I think and he's good. I'm Irish and I'm good but I don't play and instrument or sing. My dog isn't Irish but I was going to name him Seanchai until I discovered an Irish rapper using the name and it ruined it for me. Seanchai...shan-uh-kee...means storyteller. Anyway, I can't name my dog after arapper so I named him after a real storyteller instead...Dashiell as in Hammett. He's a good dog. What are we talking about again?

if ive only read the maltese falcon but want to check out another dashiell hammett novel, what would be the next best one?
  • Options
    Irish_lolaIrish_lola Posts: 14

Aggggghhhh! You heretic, that's Jack Lukeman!! He's a local singer for local people! Bah!! :)

He's not trying to be a rock star and the prancing and posing is kind of part of a persona he plays, he used to do a lot of Jacques Brel stuff, you know, old Brechtian cabaret stuff. Granted his appearance is a little off putting sometimes but he is an unbelieveable singer, never out of key. If you saw him live you might have a different opinion. And he does have a great sense of humour.
  • Options
    You mean, sort of Father Dougal as Scott Walker? :D
  • Options
    PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    I love The Frames.
    They may be massive over in Ireland, and obviously rub a few people the wrong way, but here they're not so I just appreciate the music without all the ego media bits that get in the way. Their show in Cambridge on last years tour was one of the best gig I've ever been too (tiny venue and didn't even sell out).
    And I don't care if Glen is an egotistical bastard or whatever, he's one of the most down to earth 'rockstars' I've ever met, one of the few people who geninely seemed to enjoy fans rather than feigning happiness for the sake of the fans.
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
  • Options
    You mean, sort of Father Dougal as Scott Walker? :D

Don't be silly, Jack's good but he could never do justice to "My Lovely Horse".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxPqMPqU52k
  • Options
    Speaking of "My Lovely Horse", The Divine Comedy are another great Irish band - http://www.thedivinecomedy.com/

Don't think The Thrills have been mentioned here at all yet, not really my cup of tea but they're not too bad.

Oh, and Damien Rice is definitely Irish, think he's from Kildare .
  • Options
    dr. Mowinckeldr. Mowinckel Posts: 211
    I really like The Frames, Luka Bloom & the Cranberries.
    There's a trapdoor in the sun!
    2000 Pinkpop Festival, Netherlands
    2006 Arnhem, Netherlands
    2006 Antwerp, Belgium
    2007 Nijmegen, Netherlands
    2009 Philadelphia 4, PA
    2010 Bristow, VA
    2012 Amsterdam 1, Netherlands
    2013 Buffalo, NY
    2013 Baltimore, MD
    2015 Global Citizen Festival New York, NY
    2016 Hampton, VA