Bands/artists that should be known but arnt.

2»

Comments

• John Butler Trio
  • OmaramaOmarama Posts: 267
    John Butler Trio

wouldn't personally call them unknown thanks to Zebra but sunrise over sea is bloody awesome
    Monty Got a Raw Deal

" makes much more sense to live in the present tense "
    FLY MY PRETTIES

not technically a band but an amzing collaboration of artists, headed by barnaby weir from the black seeds, another band that should be more known but aren't really outside of NZ.
    Monty Got a Raw Deal

• illegal pantsillegal pants Posts: 13,471
    the new left
    wah
  • since i moved to the south(usa south)...i tell people the the tragically hip are the best band you never heard of...they are just so good live...gord downie's stage-presence is tough to beat...they are canada's bread and butter, but no so much anywhere else and it is a shame
    "I never make plans that far ahead"
    adam42381 wrote:
    Gotta give it to the Black Keys and Kings of Leon.

yeah i'm with three sad semesters on this one, they are not unknown bands at all, well maybe only to 13 year old girls who like usher.
    Monty Got a Raw Deal

• LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    Omarama wrote:
    yeah i'm with three sad semesters on this one, they are not unknown bands at all, well maybe only to 13 year old girls who like usher.

Kings of Leon are pretty well known but Black Keys? come on I dont think so....they havent even had an album on a major label yet, theyre not very well known.
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    i like the black keys...
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    Omarama wrote:
    I was just saying that the average person has no idea who the Kings of Leon or Black Keys are. I know that people on a music board know them, but the average person won't. I bet if I asked 50 random people, less than a handfull could tell you anything about them.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    LedZepFan wrote:
    Kings of Leon are pretty well known but Black Keys? come on I dont think so....they havent even had an album on a major label yet, theyre not very well known.

well maybe by your country's standards. a band doesn't have to have released an album to be known, half of the shit that is in the top 40 is proof of that.
    Monty Got a Raw Deal

adam42381 wrote:
    I was just saying that the average person has no idea who the Kings of Leon or Black Keys are. I know that people on a music board know them, but the average person won't. I bet if I asked 50 random people, less than a handfull could tell you anything about them.

yeah i guess, but i thought the title of the thread implied that their name just had to be known, not their bio. anyway, this is getting kinda silly, i was in a bit of a shitty mood last night, sorry for arguing with everyone!
    Monty Got a Raw Deal

• grungeheadgrungehead Posts: 35
    screaming trees-highly underrated
  • The Human Condition
  • OneLoveOneLove Posts: 563
    Tom Rhodes

http://www.tomrhodesmusic.com

worth checking out :)
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    seagoat2 wrote:
    Might be a stretch for some PJ fans but ........

Chris Whitley

(check out his website, http://www.chriswhitley.com)
    Not a stretch at all....sweet, sweet voice.

Thanks for reminding me to pick something of his up. The song "Big Sky Country" alone is reason to know Chris Whitley.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • Dredg.... some might know symbol song but thats about it... technically amazing band... excellent sound... radiohead esque. Drummer pianos.
    PearlJam134.gif
  • LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    I'm gonna add MC5, Supergrass, and Stereophonics to my list.

Chances are a lot of people on the boards will know those bands but overall, Ive rarely met someone who knew any of them and they all deserve more attention and credit than they get in the US these days.
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • faithful227faithful227 Posts: 352
    ASG

http://www.asgnation.com

also on myspace and purevolume. if you like heavy guitar driven rock, then check em out. they are from my neck of the woods, i see them every chance i get. they rock your face off. word.
    VHC member #155***

Ft Lauderdale '96:::West Palm Beach '98:::Tampa '00:::Tampa '03:::Camden 1&2 '06::: DC '06:::West Palm Beach '08:::Tampa '08:::Columbia '08:::Virginia Beach '08