Love for Blind Melon

2»

Comments

• elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    I always loved the opening to Soup,but in recent years Ive gotten into Tom Waits and its a total replica(different set of lyrics) of Whereever I lay my head (from Rain Dogs)...
  • Saw this today:

"We'll be posting 3 new tracks on myspace.com/blindmelon in the early to mid part of next week. The songs will stay up for a few day and then disappear...poof."

PBM

I saw that too. I posted a comment on their page with my opinion (respectfully) & they didn't post it, as they have to approve their commments. They are making it look like everyone agrees with what they are doing & thinks it's the greatest thing in the world by censoring opinions of those who don't. That's just wrong & quite frankly disappointing..
    "Oh, a flower you are to my land..."
  • They are making it look like everyone agrees with what they are doing & thinks it's the greatest thing in the world by censoring opinions of those who don't. That's just wrong & quite frankly disappointing..

I think they're just trying to keep a positive vibe about the whole thing.

The best way to voice your displeasure would be to send them a MySpace Message...maybe they will respond to your concerns privately.

Also, let them know that you aren't going to purchase any new music. You have a right to voice your opinion.

However, I can't blame them for not wanting your dissenting opinion on their page.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • I think they're just trying to keep a positive vibe about the whole thing.

The best way to voice your displeasure would be to send them a MySpace Message...maybe they will respond to your concerns privately.

Also, let them know that you aren't going to purchase any new music. You have a right to voice your opinion.

However, I can't blame them for not wanting your dissenting opinion on their page.

PBM

If my opinion is said respectfully, which it was, there is no reason for them to not allow it. They can learn a lesson from Sparta who allows & accepts good & bad critisism on their page. Now if I went on there teling them they suck ass & such, then by all means, censor me...but it's all about feedback from fans.
  • If my opinion is said respectfully, which it was, there is no reason for them to not allow it. They can learn a lesson from Sparta who allows & accepts good & bad critisism on their page. Now if I went on there teling them they suck ass & such, then by all means, censor me...but it's all about feedback from fans.

I can get behind that.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

• Oh & yes, I will definitely be sending them a message telling them I won't be purchasing anything with the Blind Melon name without Shannon in it.
  • I can get behind that.

PBM

:)
  • http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003286179

It's been exactly 11 years since the death of singer Shannon Hoon effectively put an end to Blind Melon. But now, the group's surviving members -- guitarists Christopher Thorn and Rogers Stevens, bassist Brad Smith and drummer Glen Graham -- are back together again under the Blind Melon banner, with a new singer, 25-year-old Amarillo, Texas, native Travis Warren.

Warren met Smith and Thorn through a mutual friend and was initially interested in having the pair help produce his own music. Then, a joke email from Smith to Stevens got the ball rolling towards getting back together last summer. "Brad wrote a fake press release and sent it to me -- it was saying how we were back together and how Travis had brought us together," Stevens says. "It was the first I'd heard of it. I called Brad and I was like, 'What do you mean? You got the band back together without me?'"

Soon after, Warren and the four Melons congregated in the studio. "We decided to get into a room and play -- we thought it would be fun," Stevens says. "I was really skeptical in the beginning about doing anything, and none of us are into doing any kind of 'nostalgia trip.' We started playing, and I knew within the first half of a song that [Warren] was nailing it. It was something about the way he did it that it immediately disarmed my skepticism."

The group then took a break to collaborate on songs via e-mail, and recently got back together for another round of jamming, which confirmed that Blind Melon was back in business. "We started writing and recording, and we've got three new songs that we're excited about," says Stevens, revealing their titles as "Make a Difference," "Harmful Belly" and "For My Friends."

"His voice is in that sort of higher register that Shannon's voice was in, but he doesn't sound like him," Stevens promises. "There are certain similarities, just because he's in that range, but on the stuff that we're doing, his phrasing and whatnot is different than Shannon's. On the old songs, he can sing them really well. They are different, but he definitely was influenced by Shannon."

The group plans to have a new record finished early next year and hit the road afterward. Currently, a label is not in place. "I don't know what's going to happen -- we don't have anything right now," Stevens says. "We haven't talked to anybody about it. People are calling, but we don't know what's going to happen. These days, it's wide open."

Despite such a long layoff (their last all-new studio recording was 1995's "Soup"), Stevens says that the group is picking up right where it left off musically. "I feel like I'm back where I belong with these guys," he enthuses.

PBM

• "On the old songs, he can sing them really well. They are different, but he definitely was influenced by Shannon."

Where is a little barfing emoticon when you need it???
  • Where is a little barfing emoticon when you need it???

Come on...at least give them a listen.

;)

PBM

• Come on...at least give them a listen.

;)

PBM

No way...Shannon put his heart & soul into those songs, I will not listen to some kid try to re-create that. If they were making new music under a different name I'd be all for giving em a listen...but not this way. It makes me sad to even think about someone else attempting to sing those songs.
  • No way...Shannon put his heart & soul into those songs, I will not listen to some kid try to re-create that. If they were making new music under a different name I'd be all for giving em a listen...but not this way. It makes me sad to even think about someone else attempting to sing those songs.

I'll reserve my judgement until I hear Travis' voice. I dig that Blind Melon sound.

I saw American Minor open up for DBT a few months ago...I thought to myself, "Man, these guys remind me of Blind Melon". Turns out Chris and Brad produced tracks for their album.

I'm excited to hear the tunes.

Will it be the same? No, but the music will be introduced to a whole new generation.

PBM

• Will it be the same? No, but the music will be introduced to a whole new generation.

PBM

...Yeah, a whole new generation of kids who will know Travis as the singer of Blind Melon. :rolleyes: The only good that can come of this is that these kids will dig the songs, buy the old albums & realize what an underrated musical genius Shannon was & what they missed out on...& maybe some who didn't give Melon a chance back in the day will now & see what the music world lost.