Love for Blind Melon

BinGnarlyBinGnarly Posts: 508
edited November 2006 in Other Music
I'm just starting to really get into this Band I think Shannon Hoon was amazing and it sucks that he had to go. Does anyone else really dig this band?
Shows:
San Diego 2003
Grand Rapids 2004
Grand Rapids 2006
Detroit 2006
Columbus 2010

"With my own two hands I can change the world."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• upina2001upina2001 Posts: 764
    lots of people on here dig Blind Melon

I honestly think if they were still around, they would be "it."

Toledo, Ohio (September 22, 1996), East Troy, Wisconsin (June 26, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 17, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 18, 2000), Cincinnati, Ohio (August 20, 2000), Columbus, Ohio (August 21, 2000), Nashville, Tennessee (April 18, 2003), Champaign, Illinois (April 23, 2003), Noblesville, Indiana (June 22, 2003), Chicago, Illinois (May 16, 2006), Chicago, Illinois (August 05, 2007), West Palm Beach, Florida (June 11, 2008), Tampa, Florida (June 12, 2008), Columbus, OH (May 06, 2010), Noblesville, Indiana (May 07, 2010), Wrigley Field (July 19, 2013), US Bank Arena (October 01, 2014), Lexington (April 26, 2016), Chicago Night 2 (August 20, 2018), Boston Night 1 (September 02, 2018), Nashville (September 16, 2022), St. Louis (September 18, 2022)

• Incredible, Incredible couple of albums paired with an almost equally incredible set of b-sides.

What a shame.. :(

I'm really reluctant to try them with a new singer..
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • BinGnarlyBinGnarly Posts: 508
    Me too it would be really hard to try and fill Shannons shoes. I hope this new guy does good.
    Shows:
    San Diego 2003
    Grand Rapids 2004
    Grand Rapids 2006
    Detroit 2006
    Columbus 2010

"With my own two hands I can change the world."
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    BinGnarly wrote:
    Me too it would be really hard to try and fill Shannons shoes. I hope this new guy does good.
    think its shitty to try and carry on. like flogging a dead horse, all the rage though with INXS and alice in chains doin it ($$$$$)...............Shannon was a king, wrapped in my heart like chains
  • I really don't understand why they do it. I mean without Shannon... no BLINd Melon. Well atleast thats my opinion.
    Maybe its a money thing... i don't know...
    When all your dreams turn to dust, vacuum
    When all else fails, read the instruction
  • Soup is one of my all time favorites!!
    We need Pearl Jam in Atlanta!!! 2006-2007

The dirty south needs a fix.
  • elmer wrote:
    think its shitty to try and carry on

I think the rest of the guys in the band got a raw deal. They, along with Shannon's family, were left to face the consequences of Shannon's actions. They made some really great music and created a brand name.

I supported their other projects (such as Unified Theory), but many did not. They want to capitalize on something they created and had success with.

No one can replace Shannon...he wrote some really great songs and had a tremendous voice.

It's a shame he's not here to celebrate his music. I don't begrudge Chris, Rogers, Glenn and Brad for carrying on...I think they deserve the chance.

If they want to play music they created, then I say go for it.

I'm looking forward to hearing/seeing them...it's good to see the guys back in the spotlilght.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • CollinCollin Posts: 4,931
    I think the rest of the guys in the band got a raw deal. They, along with Shannon's family, were left to face the consequences of Shannon's actions. They made some really great music and created a brand name.

I supported their other projects (such as Unified Theory), but many did not. They want to capitalize on something they created and had success with.

No one can replace Shannon...he wrote some really great songs and had a tremendous voice.

It's a shame he's not here to celebrate his music. I don't begrudge Chris, Rogers, Glenn and Brad for carrying on...I think they deserve the chance.

I'm looking forward to hearing/seeing them...it's good to see the guys back in the spotlilght.

PBM

I agree.
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • I think the rest of the guys in the band got a raw deal. They, along with Shannon's family, were left to face the consequences of Shannon's actions. They made some really great music and created a brand name.

PBM

I agree they got a raw deal, but hey, that's life. I got a raw deal when I lost my favorite band at 17, but you know what?...they're still my favorite band, and Shannon is still my all time favorite musician because he is irreplaceable. If they wanna carry on & continue making music that's fine, but using the name 'Blind Melon' is wrong. They used to think so as well, so I don't see what has changed. I hate to say it, but I'm starting to think dollar signs. They can't & never will be 'Blind Melon' again...accept it & move on. I for one do not wanna hear this new guy trying to sing songs like 'Change' or 'Soup'...or any Melon songs for that matter, give me a break. Shannon poured his hear & soul into those songs, someone else even attempting it is an insult. This new guy is supposedly "amazing", let him come up with some new material with the boys & let Shannon's/Melon's remain perfect the way it was left for us.
    "Oh, a flower you are to my land..."
  • They used to think so as well, so I don't see what has changed. I hate to say it, but I'm starting to think dollar signs.I hate to say it, but I'm starting to think dollar signs.

They thought they could do it, but obviously they couldn't (*see Unified Theory).

It's all about the brand name. They can sell more albums/tickets under the "Blind Melon" moniker because it's an established name.

Is it about money? Sure. However, how are you going to get your music out to the masses easier? As Abandon Jalopy or as Blind Melon?

They've tried alternate routes...it didn't work.

I would think Shannon would like to see his music carried on and celebrated.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

• CollinCollin Posts: 4,931

PBM

Exactly.
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • They thought they could do it, but obviously they couldn't (*see Unified Theory).

It's all about the brand name. They can sell more albums/tickets under the "Blind Melon" moniker because it's an established name.

Is it about money? Sure. However, how are you going to get your music out to the masses easier? As Abandon Jalopy or as Blind Melon?

They've tried alternate routes...it didn't work.

PBM

If you have a product that is that good, it should stand on its own. If they can't reach the masses without the name Melon, then maybe it's not meant to be. Hell, I don't even know they reached the masses the first time around. Those of us they did reach celebrate Shannon's music every day. Shannon had more emotion in his pinky than a lot of musicians have in their whole bodies. It's beyond sad that we don't have more of that than what he gave us...but we're certainly not going to get it from someone else.
    (I know you & I will never agree on this one.)
  • (I know you & I will never agree on this one.)

...and we're just debating...I don't think there is a right or wrong answer...ultimately, it's up to the band to decide.

Without No Rain, I wouldn't have discovered songs like Change, I Wonder or Soul One.

Hopefully, if the band (or even the brand name) is in the spotlight again, then some 16 year old in Iowa will discover some really great music.

That's the one true positive to all of this.

PBM

• PJ-SinPJ-Sin Posts: 348
    Yeah, and Chili Peppers should have given up after Hillel (sp?) died.
    Give me a break, they can do whatever they want to, it was thier band too
    I personally cant wait to hear some new Blind Melon!!!
    go check out the new guy and tell me he doesnt sound good.

http://www.myspace.com/rainfurrent
  • I don't know... it's a tough call on if they should change the name or not.. I must say that the new singer does sound pretty good and I think he would fit quite fine in Blind Melon... but it is a little weird to see the name Blind Melon without Shannon Hoon, however, Incubus got rid of Alex Katunich and added Ben Kenney and that didn't spark ideas of changing the name, at least for me, but when I think of Blind Melon without Shannon Hoon, it just seems like they should? Using that logic, that doesn't really make sense, does it? I mean Alex Katunich was as integral as Shannon Hoon was because Katunich was a founding member of Incubus and so was Hoon.... but I guess it's just because Hoon was the lead singer and that's why the name seems it should change... ionno. All I can do is just pour some tea for two.
    If I could, think I would give in.
  • Yeah, it's a strange situation.

I think a lot of us fans have our guard up (myself included).

I think we don't want their legacy to be tarnished. If the surviving members stay true to the music they created and keep their integrity, I don't think we have much to worry about.

PBM

• Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    They will be awesome.

Just like AIC. Will be nice to bust out those awesome tunes again
  • ...and we're just debating...I don't think there is a right or wrong answer...ultimately, it's up to the band to decide.

PBM

Yes, debating we are. I have nothing but respect for you & your opinions as my fellow Melon fan...but I think you know that already. :)
  • PJ-Sin wrote:
    Yeah, and Chili Peppers should have given up after Hillel (sp?) died.
    Give me a break, they can do whatever they want to, it was thier band too
    I personally cant wait to hear some new Blind Melon!!!
    go check out the new guy and tell me he doesnt sound good.

http://www.myspace.com/rainfurrent

I don't care if he's good or not. He's not Shannon, & therefore it is not Blind Melon. If they wanna go ahead & make music with a new singer, more power to em...Just leave as PBM put it, their 'Legacy" alone. To this day when people ask who my fav. band is, I say "Blind Melon" & do my best to spread the music. I want no confusion as to which Melon I'm talking about.
  • What are your thoughts on the two different eras of AC/DC?

Same kind of issue. Singer dies of alcohol abuse...bands continues on.

Comparing the two bands music is like apples to oranges, however, does the exception prove the rule?

PBM

• I don't know much about AC/DC at all, as I've never liked them. Apparently it worked out well for them? In my opinion, this is just not a good move. As all of us Melon fans know, Shannon had that special something that rarely comes along in any musician...to try to recreate that is a disaster waiting to happen. Then you've got an album with the Melon name, that obviously can't hold a candle to the others. & The name is I believe as you put it, tarnished. I say they just leave well enough alone, & while it may be easier to get their music out there under the Melon name, is it really worth it? Make music, have a kickass time, but leave Melon the way it was meant to be...As the 5 of them.
  • whygowhygo Posts: 55
    Yop 5 band for sure! They could've been the Allman Bros of the 90's
  • goldrushgoldrush Posts: 7,481
    I have a Blind Melon sig.
    If they are going to carry on as Blind Melon I would prefer to have Brad Smith singing. He did a pretty good job on his Abandon Jalopy album and it would mean no outsiders would brought into the band, they could just continue as a four-piece and not have anyone trying to live up to/tarnish the memory of Shannon.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • And then I heard No Rain. Soup is one of my favorite records of all time. What a shame. Woodstock 94 just blew me away. Shannon coming out in the dress and the little pink things in his hair.

Just a shame. Just loved them. Soup is just a masterpiece, you could tell they really put something special together on that album. And then he died shortly there after it came out and it just went so unnoticed except for the die-hards and maybe their friends.

It is a must have album. Start to finish is the best!
    Let's Go Red Sox!
  • elmer wrote:
    think its shitty to try and carry on. like flogging a dead horse, all the rage though with INXS and alice in chains doin it ($$$$$)...............Shannon was a king, wrapped in my heart like chains
    Alice in Chains did it right though..

The new guy is fantastic and Jerry intentionally did not pick a Layne imitator. Also they knew the guy well already which is another big plus.

INXS did it shitty. Fuck that.

"Make our day"
  • Saw this today:

"We'll be posting 3 new tracks on myspace.com/blindmelon in the early to mid part of next week. The songs will stay up for a few day and then disappear...poof."

PBM

• Saw this today:

"We'll be posting 3 new tracks on myspace.com/blindmelon in the early to mid part of next week. The songs will stay up for a few day and then disappear...poof."

PBM
    holy shit. O_O

the time of judgement is upon us.

"Make our day"
  • ebeeebee Posts: 3
    Really loved this band. Track no. 11 from Soup was one of the best ever written! Just wish there was more :(
  • I recommend Live at the Palace, really is erie to listen to it being their last show and all. I'm hoping they put out some more great music with a new singer!!!
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • DEEPDEEP Posts: 274
    I was lucky enough to see Blind Melon in concert...Awesome band!!!