Options

Subway System

cheesesteak52cheesesteak52 Posts: 29
edited March 2008 in The Porch
I was just wondering how the subway works after the show is over. I heard usually the public transit system shuts down after 11pm and was curious if this was true even when there is an event at MSG that isnt over till midnightish. Any info would be appreciated, thanks!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    the nyc mta runs 24/7. the trains slow down progressively after midnight, but they are always running.
    "and onward goes this thing of ours."

Paulie "Walnuts" Gualtieri
  • Options
    Gossard_Is_GodGossard_Is_God Posts: 1,031
    When i saw the thread title and then your name, I thought you were going to be advertising subway sandwhiches for a sec there. lol
    Pearl Jam - London Astoria 20/4/06....One hell of a night :)

Reading 2006 - WOOOOW!!!!!

Paris 2006 - Fucking amazing

Wembley 2007 :D
  • Options
    mmmm I love cheesesteaks. I've been to philly a few times, and Geno's was the best!
    1998-07-10 San Diego
    1998-07-11 Las Vegas
    2000-10-22 Las Vegas
    2000-10-25 San Diego
    2003-06-05 San Diego
    2006-07-06 Las Vegas
    2006-07-07 San Diego

http://www.myspace.com/roccondiego
  • Options
    yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    I was just wondering how the subway works after the show is over. I heard usually the public transit system shuts down after 11pm and was curious if this was true even when there is an event at MSG that isnt over till midnightish. Any info would be appreciated, thanks!

Subway runs 24/7. Just slower late at night. Just remember, NYC is the city that never sleeps.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • Options
    Guys you can take any number of subway trains from MSG. The 1,2,3,A,C, and E all run from underneath Penn. And the R and N aren't far from there either. They run ALL night.
    member number: 198,xxx
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    yosi wrote:
    Subway runs 24/7. Just slower late at night. Just remember, NYC is the city that never sleeps.

That is the truth. I can't wait to be there again. The subway is good, easy, and always there. For helpful subway info, you can go to hopstop.com - you can type in your starting and ending destination and it will tell you what line to take, if you're new to the area.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    What about if we want to get back to JFK after the show is over.....is that still possible??
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,443

Don't accept any rides from NYC residents who didn't get 10c tix!
  • Options
    What about if we want to get back to JFK after the show is over.....is that still possible??

http://www.panynj.gov/airtrain/

airtrain to jfk runs 24 hours a day.

• Options
    j.roj.ro Posts: 111

It's NYC...they run all night...every night...all the time, unless there is a transit strike (for all my fellow New Yorkers who lived through that one...).
    Oh half his life, a hand me down, wasted away
    Of he fills it up, with the love, of a girl...
  • Options

You can take a cab...there is a flat fee which I think is $45 now. That doesn't include tolls and tip.
  • Options

you can also get a cab to the airport. cost is about $45 flat fee.
  • Options
    One of the great things about NYC is awesome public transportation.
  • Options
    Jeremys SpokenJeremys Spoken Posts: 7,578
    Dude the MTA and subways NEVER shuts down. 24/7 365. The greatest city in the world, and the greatest PT.
    2008 - MSG 6/24-6/25
    2010 - Newark 5/18 MSG 5/21
    2011 - PJ20 9/3-9/4
    2012 - MIA Festival 9/2
    2013 - Wrigley Field 7/19 Brooklyn 10/18-10/19 Philly 10/22
    2015 - Colbert show - 9/23 Global Citizens Festival 9/26
    2016 - Philly 4/28-4/29 MSG 5/1-5/2

• Options
    ProteusProteus Posts: 166
    From MSG take the 2/3 train uptown until you hit East Tremont avenue.

From there, you can catch a free shuttle to any major NY airport.
    FUEL AND RELEASE!!! happiness is good FOR AN hour... FUEL AND RE-LEASE!!! happines is good FOR an HOU-ER.
    --P. Farrell
  • Options
    yosi wrote:

it is far from awesome during rush hours on a daily basis.

• Options
    panthergirlpanthergirl Posts: 469
    yosi wrote:

YAY NYC!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:)
    08 6/11 WPB 6/12 Tampa 6/24,25 MSG, 8/7 Ed @ Newark
    07 8/5 Lolla 8/2 VIC
    06 7/22,23 Gorge 7/20 Ptl
    04 10/8 VFC Kissimmee
    03 4/11 WPB, 4/12 HOB Orlando, 7/8,9 MSG
    00 8/24 Jones Bch 8/9,10 WPB
    1998 9/22,23 WPB 1996 10/7 Ft Laud 1994 3/28 Miami
  • Options
    phillyfanphillyfan Posts: 831
    mmmm I love cheesesteaks. I've been to philly a few times, and Geno's was the best!
    try steves
    If you hate something dont you do it too
    world fucking champs!!!
  • Options

Listen its crowded, sure. But the access that public transportation provides is like no other place in the world.
  • Options
    yosi wrote:
    Listen its crowded, sure. But the access that public transportation provides is like no other place in the world.

i'm not debating the accessibility. all i'm saying is it wears on you when you have to deal with it during the morning and evening rushes every single day. i don't think that any new yorker would argue with that.

• Options
    i'm not debating the accessibility. all i'm saying is it wears on you when you have to deal with it during the morning and evening rushes every single day. i don't think that any new yorker would argue with that.

agreed.
  • Options
    kj1nyrkj1nyr Posts: 837

I lived in NYC for 28 years and I would much prefer the subway at rush hour than sitting in traffic burning gas (i.e. money). Phoenix has shit for mass transit.

The only real problems with the subway after hours is if you fall asleep and end up somewhere in the Bronx. :) If you're feeling a bit sleepy you're better off taking a cab.

Peace,
    KJ
  • Options

I definitely don't. I guess I just prefer that to sitting for hours in traffic.

Also, maybe cause I don't spend a lot of time right now in the city (away at college), its not what I focus on.
  • Options
    Panic821Panic821 Posts: 106

take the E (queens bound) or A (Brooklyn bound) from underneath MSG. both stop at Airtrain stations which take you to JFK.
    my signature.
  • Options
    chimpatchimpat Posts: 590
    PJ_Panic wrote:
    take the E (queens bound) or A (Brooklyn bound) from underneath MSG. both stop at Airtrain stations which take you to JFK.

Exactly. It's about a 45 minute ride and add on another 15-20 or so for the Airtran, but it's easy....I do it all the time.
    "This is about as perfect a crowd as you can get. I hate to placate, I ain't placating...." - EV, 9/29/96

• Options
    say_hisay_hi Posts: 311
    kj1nyr wrote:
    The only real problems with the subway after hours is if you fall asleep and end up somewhere in the Bronx.

I live where people wouldn't dare to drive....

This is a recent event from my neighborhood that happened this past Monday:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23780831/

I drove right past this place today and a few hours before the shooting Sunday night/Monday....
    4/30/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05, 5/4/06 (Letterman Mini-Concert), 5/5/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10
  • Options

The quickest public transportation option is to take LIRR from Penn Station, which is underneath the Garden, to Jamaica and transfer to the Airtrain. You can also take the E but it takes longer.

Another option would be to share a cab or car. A cab is fixed $45 + tip and tolls or call a car service. I use Carmel or Dial 7 car service -- they're not super fancy but cheap. Do a google search and there will probably be coupons on their site.
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757
    As a non-New Yorker, I tend to ride the subway like it's a ride at fucking Disneyland.

you mean I can go anywhere I want for a buck fifty? Anywhere? really?

That shit fascinates me.

Fuck all you spoiled New Yorkers who don't realize how great that is. :)
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    1STmammal2wearPants1STmammal2wearPants Worcester, MA Posts: 2,838
    Yeah I am well-versed in the subway havin been down there a million times with my buddies, and ya can't do wrong goin that route for the show. it's 24/7 and cheap. when i plan on moving down to NYC in 2009, pending I can land a job there, I plan on ditching my car and basically eliminating three huge costs of insurance, car payments, and gas. Not to mention the fact that parking is outreagous there.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Boston I, Boston II 
    2018 Boston I, Boston II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 Boston I, Boston II
  • Options
    possomistspossomists Posts: 427
    I live where people wouldn't dare to drive....

This is a recent event from my neighborhood that happened this past Monday:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23780831/

I drove right past this place today and a few hours before the shooting Sunday night/Monday....

ha, the norwood section is real gansta huh? its not westchester but it certainly isnt the south bronx, im not sure of anyone who wouldnt dare to drive through there
    "you can say that we're, nocturnal, posssomists"
    -ed july 8th MSG 2004