Options

Death Cab

CahootsCahoots Posts: 140
edited September 2008 in Other Music
Okay so I am not as hip as I used to be... I dont really know any death cab fo cutie. Since they are opening for Neil Young I thought I would go to the PJ board and look for guidance on where to get started on learning Death Cab...

Your thoughts?
Cahoots

1992 VAN
1993 VAN
1998 Missoula
2000 Barcelona & Boise
2002 SEA 2x
2003 VAN
2005 VAN, Calgary, Edmonton & Saskatoon
2006 The Gorge
2009 SEA & VAN
2011 VAN
2013 Portland & VAN
2015 Mexico City
2018 Missoula
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    InMyTree4InMyTree4 Posts: 1,239
    im not a huge fan...theyve opened for pj before
    PJ:7/2/03.9/28/04.5/25/06.8/5/07.6/14/08.6/27/08.6/28/08.6/30/08.
    10/30/09.10/31/09.5/17/10.9/7/11
    EV:boston 1+2.albnay 1.boston 2010
  • Options
    they opened on the 'vote for change' tour.

they were indie for years and years...kinda hit it 'big' within the last 3 years or so. very soft sounding...
  • Options
    mjbmjb Posts: 1,314
    Not my cup of tea, but to each his own...I do believe that a lot of people thought their new album Narrow Stairs was one of the best of the year. Maybe start there

Surprised you haven't been "wrong forum"'d yet.
  • Options
    ill_Ride_the_Waveill_Ride_the_Wave Calgary Canada Posts: 41
    There great, start with Transatlanticism, then Plans and the new one.
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    I like their music, but i'm just a casual fan. Although, I wasnt very impressed with them live when they opened for PJ. I'm sure they'd be kick ass though if one was to see them in a small venue.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    pretextpretext Posts: 1,294
    I'm a big fan of the new one, Narrow Stairs.
  • Options
    just plan on going late, they are a bore.
    "It's all happening"
  • Options
    they played at my college a couple years ago. they sounded all right, but the audience just stood totally still, barely moving. it was the most boring show ever. not sure if that's the norm for emo-type shows, but it was like the audience was afraid to move or something. weird.
  • Options
    NeilJamNeilJam Posts: 1,191
    Ignore Indian Summer. Go early enough to see DCFC and form your own opinion on them. I thought they were good opening for Pearl Jam on the VFC tour and also saw them at Bonnaroo this year.
  • Options
    I like them!

Narrow Stairs is pretty good. The first two songs in particular are awesome.

I guess they are kind of emo-sih, but not as emo as a lot of other bands.

But they're cool.
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    Never understood threads like this for bands that are as popular as DCFC are ...

i'll say, I've liked these guys for quite a while ... Transatlanticism is a flat out masterpiece, and IMO, one of the best albums this decade.

I prefer the stuff prior to that more than the post Transatlanticism items ... admittedly, I thought Plans was garbage, but from what I've heard of the latest, it's a step back in the right direction ...

anyway, with a band this popular, Youtube is your friend ... some of my favorites ...

From Transatlanticism ...

The New Year - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MwhxdGAnic&feature=related

We Looked Like Giants - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k4KFfbnUL8&feature=related

Title and Registration - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGEyqP0744c&feature=related

Expo 86 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hHbVvTuuV4&feature=related

From The Photo Album -

We Laugh Indoors - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j58jTklfceQ&feature=related

Why You'd Want to Live Here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etNliFACipw

From We Have the Fact and We're Voting Yes -

Company Calls - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_iIWk69MMI&feature=related

405 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnvNd3YGzxI&feature=related
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,990
    jimed14 wrote:
    I thought Plans was garbage

thorn in my heart. :(

soul meets body , i will follow you into the dark, your heart is an empty room .. are one of my favorites by the band. emotional trip for sure with these.

i love the older stuff, and their latest album. but it was plans that got me into dcfc. i've heard tons and tons of music, but plans got me into them like never before.
  • Options
    I saw them open on the VFC tour. They remain the worst band I have ever seen.
  • Options
    my best friend thinks the same thing. she also thinks that the reason they became famous was because they opened for pearl jam. i'm relatively ambivalent towards death cab though.
    PJ: 9/29/04, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/18/13, 8/7/16
    eV: 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 6/21/11
    SG: 10/4/08<-- MET STONE!!!
  • Options
    mdgsolomdgsolo Posts: 785
    I for one could care less who they opened for, I personally think DCFC kick ass. I was on the fence with them at the first few listens, but they stole the show at Bridge School at the last one I went to! Ben (Gibbard) writes an incredible song with lyrics that get deeper at the different angles you can view them from. I'd say one of the best bands to come out of this generation...

And whoever said Plans sucked, needs their head checked. If you've ever lost someone close to you from a disease like cancer, listen to What Sarah Said off of Plans, and try not to cry...
  • Options
    moses562moses562 Posts: 1,382
    Transatlanticism, ditto.

Also, check out The Postal Service. It's the lead singers side project. I think before Death Cab was formed... don't quote me on that.
    "A man has the right to be as big as he feels it in him to be." Ken Kesey
  • Options
    DedvwDedvw Posts: 245
    I think they are a good band, one of my favs is I Will Follow You Into the Dark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNIS0cuDOMw
  • Options
    mdgsolo wrote:
    I for one could care less who they opened for, I personally think DCFC kick ass. I was on the fence with them at the first few listens, but they stole the show at Bridge School at the last one I went to! Ben (Gibbard) writes an incredible song with lyrics that get deeper at the different angles you can view them from. I'd say one of the best bands to come out of this generation...

And whoever said Plans sucked, needs their head checked. If you've ever lost someone close to you from a disease like cancer, listen to What Sarah Said off of Plans, and try not to cry...

Completely agree with you on this! They were awesome at Bridge 2006! We saw them at Bumbershoot in Seattle on Labour Day and holy crap! They were not the same band that played Bridge - and I mean that in a good way! They are no longer a "quiet little indie band", these guys were full on Rock Band! (which is sort of sad, in a way, but good for them). My husband and I were stunned...and they are the reason we're going to the Bridge this year! They are really really fantastic live! We are driving over 1500 miles to see them!

So lookout mdgsolo...we'll be in your neck of the woods in mid August!
    be philanthropic
  • Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    mdgsolo wrote:

just becuase I didn't like Plans, because I feel it was immensely over produced, as most major label debuts are ... doesn't mean I need my head checked.

it's called an opinion, deal with it.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    mdgsolomdgsolo Posts: 785
    jimed14 wrote:
    just becuase I didn't like Plans, because I feel it was immensely over produced, as most major label debuts are ... doesn't mean I need my head checked.

it's called an opinion, deal with it.

Dealin with it just fine thanks, how's your head?

Anyway, saw them a few months back at Edgefield and they did rock! It was like they had taken it to an entirely new level!

Cheers!
  • Options
    Dudes, I've been a big fan of Death Cab for a long time and I think that Narrow Stairs is in its own world. I can't stop listening to it. Lyrically and musically off the charts.
  • Options
    They live in the gray area of very average and crap. Somewhere in there.
  • Options

True dat!
  • Options
    Niko80Niko80 Posts: 1,564
    Great Band.
    I sitting with my guitar playing along to 'I will follow you into the dark' right now. Great little song!
    I will swallow poison
  • Options
    Death Cab are just plain boring live....with that in mind, so are Modest Mouse. Love the studio work though.
  • Options
    yeah, I dont get why Death Cab gets bashed so much on this forum. They arent emo. They are indie sounding, and would classify as such, even with being on a major.

Transatlanticism, as I said in a thread devoted to the album, is one of those albums that defines a period in ones life, as nevermind did for many of us here. An album where every song is perfect, where every note, riff, chord, beat etc... is perfect, where the lyrics are emotional, intense and important.

I am a big fan of Death Cab. Go see them live, buy all the albums, and get blown away
  • Options
    my best friend thinks the same thing. she also thinks that the reason they became famous was because they opened for pearl jam. i'm relatively ambivalent towards death cab though.

hate to break it to you and your friend, but more people probably knew death cab at that time than PJ. If you havent noticed, the popular scene right now is indie rock. and reguardless of death cabs being on a major, they still are part of that scene. Death cab became famous just as Modest Mouse, and the Decemberists, and Bright Eyes and Arcade Fire started to catch the mainstream worlds imagination. In addition, Death Cab's frequent mention on the O.C. didnt hurt their popularity. They had 2 or 3 albums out prior to this mainstream success.

Death cab didnt get famous only by opening for pj, and its a slap in the face to them to suggest as such.
  • Options
    This will sound like the bandwagon answer, but Transatlanticism is a phenomenal album. I don't have Narrow Stairs yet, but I've been fairly happy with the four albums I have purchased thus far. Plans was OK, but I don't think it is nearly as good as the other stuff.
    For Rent
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479

I used to feel that way until I heard the "new" record and saw them headline in June

Great band, that have really found a good sound

At VFC, they were just plain noisy
  • Options
    my she also thinks that the reason they became famous was because they opened for pearl jam.

Oh, man....your friend couldn't be more wrong. PJ had very little, if anything to do with Death Cab's success.
    Maybe all I need is a shot in the arm....