What does 'Zeitgeist' mean?
  • Options
    KlumpieKlumpie Posts: 2,649
    era, period, time.

zeitgeist is German
  • Options
    GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,908
    So it's being released on a Saturday?
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • Options
    DercheefDercheef Germany Posts: 732
    chris01 wrote:

What does 'Zeitgeist' mean?
    'Zeitgeist' means 'the spirit of the age'
    2006:Arnhem,Bern,Berlin
    2007:München,Düsseldorf,Nijmegen
    2008:NY1,NY2,Mansfield1,Mansfield2
    2009:London,Rotterdam,Berlin,Manchester,London
    2010:NY1,NY2,Dublin,Belfast,Berlin
    2011:PJ20,Montreal,TorontoI+II,Hamilton
    2012:Amsterdam I+II, Prague, Berlin I+II, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen
    2013: Phoenix, San Diego, LA I+II, Oakland
    2014: Amsterdam I+II, Vienna, Berlin
    2016: Philly I+II, MSG I+II
  • Options
    pazmanpazman Posts: 197
    it should perhaps only be an EP.
    Machina was pretty average, there were 5-6 decent songs, of which 3 were brilliant

This album release personally has 1% of the anticipation levels as the new Kings of Leon album
    I had it all once I gave it back
  • Options
    culot4culot4 Posts: 775
    Hopefully the music is better than that title. I have a feeling this thing is going to be a huge flop.
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
  • Options
    Smashing Pumpkins Reveal Album Title, Release Date

Smashing Pumpkins announced via MySpace bulletin this morning that they will release a new album, Zeitgeist, on July 7 of this year. 07-07-07! How'd they land that lucky date? Well kids, it's a Saturday, proving that Billy Corgan, Jimmy Chamberlin, and whoever the hell else is in the band think they are above and beyond the ways of the music industry (most albums come out on Tuesdays, see). Thanks to various reader tips for keeping us posted on this info.

Since we last reported, the Pumpkins revealed two more European festival dates, one at Nickelsdorf, Austria's Nova Rock Festival, and one at Interlaken, Switzerland's Greenfield Festival.

Dates:

06-02 Nuremburg, Germany - Nürburgring (Rock am Park)
    06-03 Nuremburg, Germany - Zeppelinfeld (Rock im Park)
    06-15 Nickelsdorf, Austria - Nova Rock Festival
    06-17 Interlaken, Switzerland - Greenfield Festival

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/news/41006/Smashing_Pumpkins_Reveal_Album_Title_Release_Date
    Those undecided,........ Needn't have faith to be free
    And those misguided, There was a plan for them to be
    Now you got both sides Claiming killing in Gods name
    But God is nowhere,..... To be found, conveniently

What goes on?
  • Options
    culot4 wrote:
    Hopefully the music is better than that title. I have a feeling this thing is going to be a huge flop.

no doubt it'll be a flop
    the Pumpkins last 2 albums are average and Billys solo effort was woeful and its been 10 years since Mellon Collie....
  • Options
    sigh eternallysigh eternally Chicago Posts: 421
    *watches tumbleweeds roll by*
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I'm excited about this. Like Pearl Jam the pumpkins almost have something to prove in that they can still "ROCK".

I thought the new pearl jam album did that and i'm sure if billy and jimmy set their mind to it they can do it too.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    Dustin51Dustin51 Posts: 222
    I'm excited about it. It should be good. Dont be a bunch of Negative Nancy's!
    Be excellent to each other
  • Options
    culot4culot4 Posts: 775
    intodeep wrote:
    I'm excited about this. Like Pearl Jam the pumpkins almost have something to prove in that they can still "ROCK".

I thought the new pearl jam album did that and i'm sure if billy and jimmy set their mind to it they can do it too.

If just Eddie Vedder and Matt Cameron went out on the road and called it Pearl Jam it wouldn't be. The Pumpkins had an undeniable chemistry as a four piece, not a two piece. By the way, who are the other members of the reformed Pumpkins. Are they just plugging in anybody and not giving them any credit?
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
  • Options
    Even though their last few albums weren't really that great, m still looking forward to this one!
  • Options
    pazman wrote:
    no doubt it'll be a flop
    the Pumpkins last 2 albums are average and Billys solo effort was woeful and its been 10 years since Mellon Collie....

One of the last Pumpkins songs was that single called 'Untitled' which they recorded for the best of, it was a total return to the kick-ass SP sound, when asked about it Billy said he could always write songs like that, he just liked to experiment. The new album will be wicked.
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    culot4 wrote:
    If just Eddie Vedder and Matt Cameron went out on the road and called it Pearl Jam it wouldn't be. The Pumpkins had an undeniable chemistry as a four piece, not a two piece. By the way, who are the other members of the reformed Pumpkins. Are they just plugging in anybody and not giving them any credit?

Well i don't consider myself a huge pumpkins fan, but i always felt like Billy was the base of the creative talent there and Jimmy was in my opinion the second most talented member of the band. I could be off base with that.

I think the bass player from Janes is gonna play on the album a steve perkins? that is the rumor i heard and he is an accomplished player. No knock on Iha, but i'm sure billy could find someone else to keep up with him.

As to the point about PJ i think the guys in PJ always (esp post vitology) made it a point to write the albums together everyone puts in input.

With Smashing Pumpkins i think Billy called the shots plus billy was lead singer and lead guitarist. Not like PJ at all.

So as much as i understand what you are saying i think smashing pumpkins was always Billy's creative vehicle.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    fuckin' corgan and his ancient mythology-driven song titles/album titles.
  • Options
    intodeep wrote:
    Well i don't consider myself a huge pumpkins fan, but i always felt like Billy was the base of the creative talent there and Jimmy was in my opinion the second most talented member of the band. I could be off base with that.

I think the bass player from Janes is gonna play on the album a steve perkins? that is the rumor i heard and he is an accomplished player. No knock on Iha, but i'm sure billy could find someone else to keep up with him.

As to the point about PJ i think the guys in PJ always (esp post vitology) made it a point to write the albums together everyone puts in input.

With Smashing Pumpkins i think Billy called the shots plus billy was lead singer and lead guitarist. Not like PJ at all.

So as much as i understand what you are saying i think smashing pumpkins was always Billy's creative vehicle.

yeah, corgan is about 99.97% of the creative input of smashing pumpkins. like trent reznor in nine inch nails, like dave grohl in foo fighters, like kurt cobain in nirvana, like the douche singer of the strokes.
  • Options
    One of the last Pumpkins songs was that single called 'Untitled' which they recorded for the best of, it was a total return to the kick-ass SP sound, when asked about it Billy said he could always write songs like that, he just liked to experiment. The new album will be wicked.

oh thats is such a load of crap!

anyone could say that but its a pathetic excuse. So you're saying that Billy is saying, 'Machina could've been a great album and i could've written some great rock songs but i decided to experiment and release that stuff'

its ok to experiment but if the songs are no good then dont release it
    Brian Wilson experimented with sounds and released Pet Sounds which was fucking brilliant! Thats OK but dont experiemtn and release 20 mins of good music on a 70 muinute album.THATS BAD!

it goes for everything, a surgeon says 'i could've performed the cystectomy that way (proven technique) but i chose to experiment and thats why i fucked up the operation'
  • Options
    so he is still a pompous ass then, going of the title...

still im excited and worried at the same time.. hope it works out
  • Options
    Five months, how exciting! Been anticipating this one for a while. Next to PJ, they're my favorite!!!
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Even though their last few albums weren't really that great, m still looking forward to this one!
    I actually only like their last 2 albums. I can't get into their earlier stuff at all and Mellon Collie is hit or miss with me.
  • Options
    intodeep wrote:

Yeah, I have always heard that he pretty much played all the parts except for the drums on the first two records...

I also remember hearing that when James joined APC for that little while, they sort of had to give him a crash course in guitar playing, because the stuff he did in the Pumpkins was never that hard... Billy did all the real difficult stuff.

Although I must point out that James is listed as co-writer of my favorite Pumpkins song, and one of my favorite songs ever from any band... Mayonaise.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • Options
    culot4 wrote:

You're bashing them for only having two of the original members and you don't even know who the other two are!?

Personally i can't wait for the new pumpkins album to come out. Even if it IS mediocre (which i don't think it will be) it is 100% better than a lot of the other shit that has flooded the music world.
    "Everyone is a patriot in some form or another.... i prefer the intelligent ones."

"She fell funny"

"Klaus Daimler, 40, engineer, calm, collected, German"
  • Options
    The new Pumpkins is gonna FUCKING ROCK!!! Zeitgeist is gonna rock!!!
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • Options
    drew0drew0 Posts: 943
    As the post above me said, even if it sucks (on Pumpkins standards), it's still going to beat 90% of the music out there today.

I'm personally excited, especially to see them. Yeah, they're 1/2 the band, but as it's said before, didn't Billy play everything but drums on either Siamese Dream or Mellon Collie? The Pumpkins were him and Jimmy, and that's all they need.

I'm fucking stoked. It could turn out to be a big mistkae, but it could turn out to be one of the greatest things that we've seen in awhile...and I'm hoping it will be the latter.
    Pittsburgh 6/23/06
    Madison Square Garden 6/25/08
  • Options
    The thing is, maybe he did somehow convince D'arcy or james or both even, to come back. I highly doubt it and if anybody has any info to proove me wrong then please share. I think there are two reasons for keeping the other two members a secret. 1.) They want to promote "The Pumpkins" and build up hype and when it gets close to 7/7/07 or even the date itself, they then let everyone know who the two mystery members are. Or.... 2.) James and D'arcy ARE in the band and they are waiting for 7/7/07 to make it like a big Pumpkin explosion. The album comes out, everyone finds out they're in the band, get super psyched about it and buy tons of albums. My heart wants #2, my head says #1.
    "Everyone is a patriot in some form or another.... i prefer the intelligent ones."

"She fell funny"

"Klaus Daimler, 40, engineer, calm, collected, German"
  • Options
    what the hell ae you guys listening too.. to say a shitty pumpkins album would be better than 90% stuff out there reaks of laziness.. there is some great music at the moment

hell i dont think a great pumpkins album would necessairly be thamong the very strongest stuff out there!
  • Options
    The thing is, maybe he did somehow convince D'arcy or james or both even, to come back. I highly doubt it and if anybody has any info to proove me wrong then please share. I think there are two reasons for keeping the other two members a secret. 1.) They want to promote "The Pumpkins" and build up hype and when it gets close to 7/7/07 or even the date itself, they then let everyone know who the two mystery members are. Or.... 2.) James and D'arcy ARE in the band and they are waiting for 7/7/07 to make it like a big Pumpkin explosion. The album comes out, everyone finds out they're in the band, get super psyched about it and buy tons of albums. My heart wants #2, my head says #1.
    Well Mellisa Auf der Maur I think will take over bass duties, as she's said she'd be glad to on a few occasions. Don't count on D'arcy coming back. And as much as I'd love to see James, he was basically eye candy for lack of a better word, comic relief, that sort of thing. He's not a necessity but I really want him to be part of it.

Pumpkins '07 :D
  • Options
    bestsanebestsane Posts: 131
    To be honest, I can't wait for the album, but honestly the album would be a huge flop. They don't have many fans as they had 15 years ago. Billy can't pull out a comeback unless he takes the other Billy's advice (think American Idiot).
  • Options
    bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    The new Pumpkins is gonna FUCKING ROCK!!! Zeitgeist is gonna rock!!!

The only thing you've "heard" is an album name and some tour dates.. so clearly you're just rollin the dice with that comment
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!