Options

Album that changed your life

evoevo Airdrie, Scotland Posts: 185
edited March 2006 in Other Music
is there an ablum which you could say changed your life?

Mine would be appetite for destruction. I was just starting to get into music but the stuff getting played in britain was shit. late 80s pop music sucked ass.

my friend's big brother gave me a copy of appetite for destruction and it showed me that there was a whole different type of music out there and i've never looked back.

God only knows what would have happened if i hadnt listened to that album.
Hail Hail
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    lukin321lukin321 Charlotte, NC Posts: 864
    It's not original considering who's message board we're on right now but it was defintiely "Ten". I got my first cd player on Christmas in 1992. One of the first four cds I got was and En Vogue cd haha. So I promptly took that back and exchanged it for Ten and at 10 years old I was getting my ass kicked daily by the album!
    9/1/98, 8/9/00, 8/12/00, 4/11/03, 4/12/03, 4/13/03, 4/19/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04, 10/3/04, 10/8/04, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 10/30/2013, 4/8/2016, 4/9/2016, 4/11/2016, 4/13/2016
  • Options
    KlumpieKlumpie Posts: 2,649
    Ten - PJ, great album. I could name so many arguments, but I don't that.
  • Options
    prljam85prljam85 Posts: 227
    I would also have to go with ten, one of the greatest albums ever.
  • Options
    MCGMCG Posts: 780
    When Ten came out I was like 6 years old and nowhere near ready for it! It wasn't really until 5 years later and Bush released Razorblade Suitcase that I stopped being a musical moron.
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • Options
    AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,208
    Pink Floyd's 'A Collection of Great Dance Songs'.
  • Options
    EarthgirlEarthgirl Posts: 695
    Led Zeppelin- the untitled album

When I first heard Black Dog.. that was it.. I was a rebel and a lover. :)
  • Options
    ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    Radiohead "Kid A" it changed the way i listened to music, to listen to much more than the individual tracks but to view albums as a piece of art. same can be said for "yield"
  • Options
    karma defectkarma defect Posts: 5,483
    Washing machine - Sonic youth.

I already was listen to rock, but they showed me that it could be done diffently. And this album has had it's impact on my record collecion.
    « One man's glory is another man's hell.
    You’re on the outside, never bound by such a spell.
    Together in the darkness, alone in the light.
    I took it upon me to be yours, Timmy,
    I’ll lead your angels and demons at play tonight......»
  • Options
    damien rice - O

made me get every song damien rice related lolol
    Given To Fly

Lisboa, Pavilhão Atlântico, 4/9/06
    Lisboa, Algés, Oeiras Alive!, 8/6/07
  • Options
    faithful227faithful227 Posts: 352
    nirvana:nevermind completely brought me out of the 80's musical hellhole i was in and changed the way i thought about music. also led me right into the JAM....
    VHC member #155***

Ft Lauderdale '96:::West Palm Beach '98:::Tampa '00:::Tampa '03:::Camden 1&2 '06::: DC '06:::West Palm Beach '08:::Tampa '08:::Columbia '08:::Virginia Beach '08

• Options
    oh yes..nevermind..incredible album..i had an argument with this guy a couple of weeks back cos he was saying nirvana and pearl jam were shit just cos hes a big fan of deep purple...sucker
    Given To Fly

Lisboa, Pavilhão Atlântico, 4/9/06
    Lisboa, Algés, Oeiras Alive!, 8/6/07
  • Options
    chris01chris01 Posts: 559
    I wouldnt say any album changed my life, but listening to Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Soundgarden and AIC made me love music and want to play an instrument.
  • Options
    LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    early on, definately Appetite for Destruction and Nevermind. Colossal influence. As time went on, Achtung Baby, Ten and VS, London Calling, and the collective recordings of Led Zeppelin opened my mind to music I had previously not know about or cared for. It's been a great ride since :)
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    green day-dookie. that cd was the gateway for me to all the legendary punk bands.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    there are too many to mention. for older recordings, i would have to mention revolver- the beatles, (and m.m.tour/abbey road/white album!!), quadrophenia- the who, the moody blues- to our children's children's children, and bowie- ziggy stardust.

for newer, i would have to say pj-no code, r.e.m.- (not sure which one),my morning jacket- it still moves, and red house painters (- self-titled.)
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • Options
    chris05chris05 Posts: 347
    Theres a lot of albums actually..... but a few are

Pearl Jam - Vs. - I was blown away the first time i heard that back when i
    was 12.... haha.

The Who - Who's Next - The album that got me into the Who.

Neil Young - Rust Never Sleeps - The album that made me love Mr.Young.

Stone Temple Pilots - Purple - Another one that blew me away.

Queens of the Stone age - Songs for the deaf - Never forget the first time
    I heard this album, I was like
    " Holy shit "
    Who cares if the world is going down the toilet? Eddie Vedder got his mojo back!
  • Options
    mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    Nirvana in general, they were the band I got into along with Pearl Jam when I was getting into music if I had to choose it would be Nevermond, VS, and Fully COmpletly, later on I got really into Actung Baby and Pop by U2 which opened my mind to more experimental less typical rock. I guess these just make me a product of my time but I can't think of any better examples
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    Washing machine - Sonic youth.

I already was listen to rock, but they showed me that it could be done diffently. And this album has had it's impact on my record collecion.

Good choice.
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    brhf9brhf9 Posts: 1,475
    (what's the story) morning glory? by oasis.

i was 16 at the time, had listened to lots of artists already but this record has made me interested into rn'r again when i was turning my back on it.
    'Go easy, step lightly, stay free!'

You have been banned for the following reason:
    inappropriate post.

'Too many people on this earth. We need a new plague.' - Dwight Schrute
  • Options
    poto101poto101 Posts: 386
    Dark sid eof the moon. I was 14, pissed off, depressed, and this album shined light on every emotion imaginable. no other album has even come close......
    It's all happening....

East Troy 2003
    Chicago x2, Summerfest x2, 2006
    Chicago THE VIC, Lollapalooza, 2007
    bonnaROOOOOOO 2008
    Chicago x2 2009

(EV chicago 2008 night 2)
  • Options
    pj_zombiepj_zombie Posts: 272
    Ten by Pearl Jam, of course, was a main one. It opened the door for me to older bands since I was mostly into the current stuff. It was a giant transition for me. Most recently I'd say Led Zeppelin - IV has led me even farther back to music I used to make fun of(because my Dad liked it pretty much). The first album I ever bought that got me into rock music was 3 Doors Down- The Better Life so I'd have to say that changed my life. Before that CD I didn't listen to anything.
    Pearl Jam Album Rankings
    ---
    1. Ten
    2. Vs.
    3. Pearl Jam
    4. Binaural
    5. No Code
    6. Riot Act
    7. Yield
    8. Vitalogy

Pearl Jam Song Rankings
    ---
    1. Black
    2. Rearviewmirror
    3. Light Years
    4. Given to Fly
    5. Severed Hand
  • Options
    TEN...heard it at age 19, embedded it into my psyche and it has made me the woman I am today. Totally real, balls to the wall, no apologies.

REARVIEWMIRROR...Has all my favorite tunes that helped that woman I became mature into a mom who has to work, pay bills, take shit, sacrifice goals and keep smiling...

LITTLE EARTHQUAKES, Tori Amos
    KING, Belly
    LOVE SONGS, Harry Connick, Jr.
    TEN SUMMONERS TALES, Sting
    THROWING COPPER, Live

These didn't necessarily "change my life" as they did keep it from falling apart!
    Springfield, MA 1994
    Hartford, CT 1998
    Hartford, CT 2006
    Hartford, CT 2008
    Albany, NY 2009
    Hartford, CT 2010
    Hartford, CT 2011
  • Options
    direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    Albums that changed my life and forever defined my love for music:

U2- The Joshua Tree
    Guns N' Roses- Appetite for Destruction
    The Tragically Hip- Up to Here
    Lowest of the Low- Shakespeare, My Butt
    Nirvana- Nevermind
    Pearl Jam- Ten
    The Doors- The Doors
    Led Zeppelin IV
    The Police- Synchronicity
    Bruce Springsteen- Nebraska
    Neil Young- Harvest
    R.E.M.- Life's Rich Pageant
    Paul Simon- Graceland
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    yerreyyerrey Posts: 183
    london calling by the clash

it was revolutionary for me. this album gave me a sense of direction, although it took me a while to get a grasp of where i'm headed. i still get chills listening to this album....almost 8 years after the fact!
  • Options
    wow... good question, but there's so many...

aerosmith - big ones: my first cd i ever got

nirvana - nevermind: my big brother made me listen to it and i'll never be able to repay him for how much that album affected my musical tastes

alanis morissette - jagged little pill: first album i ever truly LOVED

bush - razorblade suitcase: will always hold a special place for me, my first concert was seeing them on tour for this record, april 5 1997, i was 12 years old:)

led zeppelin - physical graffitti: my uncle was a huge influence on me, especially for classic rock.. this album is so important to me as a gateway to great music

pearl jam - vs: hooked me in, bought every album released by them up til that point in time (thru yield). been along for the ride since then and haven't looked back

those are probably the most influential to me, at least that i can think of right now. so much music means different/ lots of things to me, it's hard to generate a list like this. there's been some more recent stuff as well that's hit me pretty hard, such as "at dawn" by MMJ, "tennessee" by lucero, "yankee hotel foxtrot" by wilco, "mechanical animals" by marilyn manson, "kid a" by radiohead, "around the fur" by deftones, "lifted..." by bright eyes, and "transatlanticism" by death cab.

ahhh i've gotten carried away.
  • Options
    Green Day - "Dookie" heard it when all the hype began in the summer of 94', when i was 9 years old and that album blew my mind away. From there i started listening to 102.1 the edge in toronto and they got me hooked on Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Bush, Live, Collective Soul, Counting Crows, Offspring, U2 and RHCP among others .... these bands changed me when i was 9, 10 years old and i thank them all for it.
    2003: Toronto
    2004: Boston 1
    2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Ottawa, Toronto
    2006: Toronto (1&2)
    2007: LOLLAPALOOZA
    2008: Mansfield (1& 2), EV Toronto
    2009:Toronto
    2010: Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011: EV Detroit, East Troy (1&2), Toronto (1&2) Hamilton
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014: Milan, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Detroit
  • Options
    pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Probably Nirvana Nevermind for me
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • Options
    shahrilshahril Posts: 288
    dark side of the moon, ok computer, ten
    I've seen so many people try and copy Eddie Vedder's voice. It's as if if you don't sound like him you're not a man. - Emmett Roslan

http://theshahril.blogspot.com

London 20/04/2006
  • Options
    Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
    For me 'ten' is the only one that falls under the life changing category. I still remember the first time I heard it on the school bus when one of the older girls put the cassette in and I was just blown away. I was 11 or 12. A couple of weeks later I was minding two dogs for this woman for two weeks and I'd been talking about ten so much she bought it for me. That has been my one definitive turning point and most important point in my music life.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    MCG wrote:
    When Ten came out I was like 6 years old and nowhere near ready for it! It wasn't really until 5 years later and Bush released Razorblade Suitcase that I stopped being a musical moron.

see, bush releasing razorblade suitcase did the same for me... only it made me realize just how disappointing bush was and i left the glossy alterna-grunge behind ;)

for me:

no code -pearl jam

i liked music and rock before this, but this album just turned my world upside down. it's where i became obsessed with music in general and pearl jam in particular. when the shit hits the fan in my life, this is the album i reach for. it made me realize that rock could do so much more than just... well... rock. it went beyond anthems and power ballads into philosophical musings, offbeat experimentation, and everything in between. remains to this day my all-time favorite album.