Options

Buying a poster from Ames Bros vs. Expresso Beans/EBay

Cree NationsCree Nations Posts: 2,247
edited August 2008 in The Porch
I noticed there is a huge discrepancy in price between buying one through Ames Bros vs. Ebay. Other than the obvious, is there a difference?
>>>>
>
...a lover and a fighter.
"I'm at least half a bum" Rocky Balboa

http://www.videosift.com/video/Obamas-Message-To-American-Indians

Edmonton, AB. September 5th, 2005
Vancouver, BC. April 3rd, 2008
Calgary,AB. August 8th, 2009
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,721
    Well Ames sell at face, ebay usually involves a huge demand - people clamouring to get the poster they missed in the ames sale, as they are so limited and popular, hence the much higher price..

is this what you meant?
  • Options
    for instance:
    here is this poster and what it price history on expresso:

http://www.expressobeans.com/public/detail.php/1675

Here is what Ames Bros is charging for it on their site:

http://www.bigpopposters.com/posterMain.asp?Category=1
    Here the poster is 150 US but me thinks it may have something to do with the quality of these posters bought through Ames and therein lies my question?
    >>>>
    >

• Options
    MudfestMudfest Posts: 1,015
    AP / 1000 ...
    lots of them out there vs Klausens AP /100

really if they are /1000 they are not really that rare ... (may just want to get the regular print and save some $$$)

I would try to find it on Flea-bay as you should be able to get it under $150

M
    ===
    "OH Canada...You are so Beautiful when you are Drunk." Eddie
    1993-08-14 Gimli Mb Motorsport Park
    03-05-30 Vanc;05-09-08 Wpg
    05-09-07 Sask Sk;05-09-04 Calg
    05-09-05 Edm Alb;05-09-02 Vanc
    06-07-02/ 03 Denver 1 + 2;06-10-21/22 Bridge 1 +2
    4/3 + 4/2/08 Vanc Vedder ; 6/24+25 MSG /Toronto 09/buffalo 10/EV Chic 1-2
  • Options
    Mudfest wrote:
    AP / 1000 ...

really if they are /1000 they are not really that rare ... (may just want to get the regular print and save some $$$)

M
    figured as much....thanks.
    >>>>
    >

• Options
    pjheadpjhead Posts: 107
    Mudfest wrote:
    AP / 1000 ...

M

AP / 1,000 does not mean that there are 1,000 s/n copies out there plus unsigned copies. Ames used to number the AP's out of the number in the print run. Now they number them based on the number of AP's that they keep and sell. You will not find a 999/1,000 2000 VB s/n print.
  • Options
    Given to...Given to... Wyoming Posts: 4,977
    Primary and secondary market

Supply and Demand

Once they are gone from the show, artist, and 10c you have to deal with the secondary market. Great works of art, memorable shows, print run, etc, all have weight in determining the secondary market price. The is no secondary market if the original purchaser does not want to sell, and the ones that are sold, basically set the market price, and it will flucuate, sometimes good, sometimes bad, depends on if you are a buyer or seller.
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
  • Options
    jaamfaan wrote:
    Primary and secondary market

Supply and Demand

Once they are gone from the show, artist, and 10c you have to deal with the secondary market. Great works of art, memorable shows, print run, etc, all have weight in determining the secondary market price. The is no secondary market if the original purchaser does not want to sell, and the ones that are sold, basically set the market price, and it will flucuate, sometimes good, sometimes bad, depends on if you are a buyer or seller.
    great info. Im not into selling them, I want to build a glorious collection that I can perhaps pass on someday. All this information is great stuff. Thanks!
    >>>>
    >

• Options
    benJAMinbenJAMin Posts: 257
    for instance:
    here is this poster and what it price history on expresso:

http://www.expressobeans.com/public/detail.php/1675

Here is what Ames Bros is charging for it on their site:

http://www.bigpopposters.com/posterMain.asp?Category=1
    Here the poster is 150 US but me thinks it may have something to do with the quality of these posters bought through Ames and therein lies my question?

My two cents in this situation, based solely on observation:

This happens when the artist still has a limited number of prints available to sell to the public. Maybe Ames had 5 Virginia Beach 00 prints laying around, and the first one went for $60. The price then becomes $80 because there are only 4 left from the site. The price continues to rise as they make sales and their quantity drops. Keep in mind that this happens only AFTER they have the initial sale the day after the show, when they find they still have a few prints laying around months down the road.

I only know this (I use the word "know" lightly as its from my own observations and not a direct quote from an artist) because I've seen it happen with other posters from Ames site, ie Toronto 98. This poster was for sale for $400, then the price went to $500, and then it sold out. Same with a poster like Buffalo 03, which went from $100 to $150 to $300, etc. Check their site frequently and you'll see prices from older shows rise occasionally.

So, a buyer can go for a cheaper purchase from ebay, or they can pay the extra money and get it directly from the artist. Your ideals/needs probably make the decision for you; do you get the print as cheap as possible, or do you pay a little more to make sure the actual artist receives the money directly? Availability plays a small part as well (if I cant find the poster on ebay today and I want it NOW, I get it directly from the artist.)

So to answer your question more simply, Ames' price is based on the number of prints they have available at the time (and probably a little to do with market price as well, ie they would probably sell Boston 98's for $400 if they happened across 4 of them in the studio). Ebay's prices are based on the demand for a print.

Hope this helps a bit
    the palms, in the breeze, still blow green
    and the waves in the sea still absolute blue
  • Options
    so then, from what I can gather, in the end, I am best to buy the original from Ames Bros bc I know its worth that much, its signed and whatnot plus I am getting it from 'them'
    >>>>
    >

• Options
    benJAMinbenJAMin Posts: 257
    so then, from what I can gather, in the end, I am best to buy the original from Ames Bros bc I know its worth that much, its signed and whatnot plus I am getting it from 'them'

if you can pay the "extra" money, there's probably a lot more peace of mind buying directly from the artist, even if their prices are higher.
    the palms, in the breeze, still blow green
    and the waves in the sea still absolute blue
  • Options
    OK, I just dropped the most money eva! on a poster. Bought Ames Japan 03. My fiancee would kill me if she found out, fuck we're buying a house...but she well never know.....for a while anyway. The image is shaweet and I cant wait to get it. I missed out recently and I have to satiate my cravings.
    >>>>
    >

• Options
    MrsOakleyMrsOakley Posts: 181
    I recently bought the Brisbane poster from Ames, Barry's woodcut of Pilate and his dog, numbered and signed, if Barry wants to call that signed, but I couldn't be more pleased with the way it was shipped and how easy it was to order and the absolute peace of mind. And I'd rather give them the money than a dealer anyway!

I'm paying a fortune to have it properly framed now, but it deserves it, and I am thrilled and can't wait to get it back (don't do anything to destroy its value when you have it framed, and whatever you do, don't tell your fiancee how much that will run you, either!)
    "Over the dirt, we soar,
    on a search for anything pure."
    Say Goodbye
    jeff aTONEment
    "See, he's got me kinda riled already...jerk..."
    Stoney, about Eddie, with love! (And to his face!)
  • Options
    MrsOakley wrote:
    I recently bought the Brisbane poster from Ames, Barry's woodcut of Pilate and his dog, numbered and signed, if Barry wants to call that signed, but I couldn't be more pleased with the way it was shipped and how easy it was to order and the absolute peace of mind. And I'd rather give them the money than a dealer anyway!

I'm paying a fortune to have it properly framed now, but it deserves it, and I am thrilled and can't wait to get it back (don't do anything to destroy its value when you have it framed, and whatever you do, don't tell your fiancee how much that will run you, either!)
    HAH! That is the one I was going to buy first and have been mulling it over but I fucking love Elvis so I figured I "start" with this one. You know what my fiancee said when I told her I was thinking about buying through Ames, after she saw the prices, and shes as cheap as a newspaper, she was like " oh why buy that, I'll just paint it for you and I was like, thats awesome baby but its not the same thing.
    LOL
    >>>>
    >

• Options
    MrsOakleyMrsOakley Posts: 181
    Cheap as a newspaper, I love that!!!

I love Elvis, too, but so many things meet for me in the Brisbane poster -- I love it on its own merits, and I love the song Pilate, and I love Jeff, and it's Barry's poster, and Jeff was inspired to write the song after reading The Master and Margarita, which I read years and years ago, because it's the book that inspired Jagger to write Sympathy for the Devil, and I love my Stones, doo dah, doo dah...

See what I mean? I can't help but think it will bring a good vibe into the house. Enjoy the King, and congratulations on your engagement!
    "Over the dirt, we soar,
    on a search for anything pure."
    Say Goodbye
    jeff aTONEment
    "See, he's got me kinda riled already...jerk..."
    Stoney, about Eddie, with love! (And to his face!)
  • Options
    MrsOakley wrote:
    Cheap as a newspaper, I love that!!!

I love Elvis, too, but so many things meet for me in the Brisbane poster -- I love it on its own merits, and I love the song Pilate, and I love Jeff, and it's Barry's poster, and Jeff was inspired to write the song after reading The Master and Margarita, which I read years and years ago, because it's the book that inspired Jagger to write Sympathy for the Devil, and I love my Stones, doo dah, doo dah...

See what I mean? I can't help but think it will bring a good vibe into the house. Enjoy the King, and congratulations on your engagement!
    thanks!
    if she ever does paint me a poster I will post it here
    >>>>
    >