Jeff Buckley - Grace

2»

Comments

• enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    The best part about Grace for me is that it's not over-produced. It sounds just like I would have expected Jeff to sound live. With some artists, you have to build this entire universe around their music on the album. With Jeff, you could srip him down to a guitar and vocal, and it's just magical stuff.

All of the great albums for me are like that, regardless of how big they end up sounding. There was something about Jeff that just translated well on Grace. It's hard to put into words, but those songs create a feeling about where he could have gone had he lived. They open up my ears to so many possibilities, and do so in a very natural way.

It's a great album for everything that it's not, just as much as for everything that it is :)
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    gtbrown77 wrote:
    Not sure if you thought that Hallelujah being on Shrek is a good thing or bad thing....but I believe it is Leonard Cohen's version. It's def. not Jeff's version. And it's not like any of the characters is singing it. It seems to be an appropriate song for what's going on in the movie at the time.

It's actually Rufus Wainright on Shrek. Very good cover IMO.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    touringfan wrote:

It’s never over, she’s the tear that hangs inside my soul forever
    Possibly the best lyric ever written about love.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    it's never over. she's the tear that hangs inside my soul forever.
    Jeremy1020
    Possibly the best lyric ever written about love.

yeah it goes mighty close. it certainly makes you catch your breath. it makes me smile every time.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • conguitaconguita Posts: 222
    Love Jeff Buckley
    Love Grace
    Love live stuff..

Love the sound simplicity

Great artist.... great '90s spirit!
    ..:: I wanna taste everyone I see ::..
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    I downloaded Grace a while ago, because I have heard so much of him over the years, and I have to say this album completely grew on me, and I have listened to it alot in the last couple of months, so much so that I am now uploaded into my Itunes. Can someone recommend any of his other albums that I should look for. I must say I am very impressed by his music, it is very very good. I have yet to read some lyrics, I imagine they will be quite deep.
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    There are a few live CD's out there like "Mystery White Boy" which is a live CD of mainly Grace material. "Grace" was his only true studio album.

"Sketches (For My Sweetheart The Drunk)" is a double CD set of, technically, unfinished songs. Rough cuts, demos, songs that he never got to finish. I think it was released not long after his death.

It's a mish mash of different styles...almost sounds like a period where he was trying to figure out what his sound was. But there's good music there; and good in a kind of haunting way. If nothing else this CD, just like "Grace", clues you in on everything that could've been that we'll never know. The uber smooth "Everybody Here Wants You" is reason to by the CD alone.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • harrymanbackharrymanback Posts: 435
    adam42381 wrote:
    I Just purchased this album online? I've only heard Hallelujah and found it hauntingly good. So, how is the entire album? Is is just ok or is it a masterpiece? Any input will be appreciated.

listen (you won;t regret it) and form your own opinion.
    I don't want to be hostile. I don't want to be dismal. But I don't want to rot in an apathetic existance either.
  • ToshalaToshala Posts: 200
    go to his website and get tons of info...

http://www.jeffbuckley.com

it took a friend over a year to get me to finally REALLY listen to JB. I rented Live In Chicago dvd and listened to one of the two live in the studio tracks first before getting into the concert...SO REAL got to me so that I was sobbing....I mean I was so moved not just by the song or the way he looked into the camera but just knowing he was gone and we'd never get more from him than we had......seems his mother is trying to obtain more live recordings unreleased so they can finally be heard someday by the fans......anyway, do go check out the website.......a listing of all currently available discs, etc......