Jeff Buckley - Grace

adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
edited July 2006 in Other Music
I Just purchased this album online? I've only heard Hallelujah and found it hauntingly good. So, how is the entire album? Is is just ok or is it a masterpiece? Any input will be appreciated.
I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.

Comments

• You won't regret buying it. One of the best albums ever. Masterpiece!
    amongstthewav.es
    2006 - Leeds Festival
    2007 - London
    2009 - Manchester / London
    2010 - Berlin
    2012 - Manchester I / Manchester II / EV Manchester
  • hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    Masterpiece. Not a bad song on the album, and most of the songs are amazing. I always wished he would have done an album with John Frusciante on lead guitar. I think they would have complemented each other well.
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    hendrix78 wrote:
    Masterpiece. Not a bad song on the album, and most of the songs are amazing. I always wished he would have done an album with John Frusciante on lead guitar. I think they would have complemented each other well.

Speaking of Frusciante, how is his solo stuff?
  • Check out Last Goodbye. It is probably my favorite off that album and of course the other songs are very good. He has such a haunting voice, it's too bad he died so young. He could have made so much good music.
    "No matter how cold the winter, there's a springtime ahead."
  • I vote Masterpiece!
    Rock over London... Rock on Chicago... I love what you do for me Toyota - Wesley Willis
    I love Frusciante's solo stuff, but it is very different from the Peppers, and each Frusciante album is different from the others. My favorites are Niandra Lades, Shadows Collide with People, Inside of Emptiness, and Curtains. He also did an album of way out there jams with Joe Lally of Fugazi under the name Ataxia. It's not for everybody, but defeinitely worth checking out.

To get back on topic, I highly recommend the 2 disc edition of Live at Sine by Jeff Buckley. It's just Jeff with an electric guitar in a coffeehoouse. He does most of the tracks off Grace, and covers Zeppelin, Dylan, and others.
  • just listen to it and come up with your own opinion ... your time will not be wasted.
    I don't want to be hostile. I don't want to be dismal. But I don't want to rot in an apathetic existance either.
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    Its is without a doubt, one of the best albums of all time. Well worth the cash. I'll also recommend the tunes "Lover You Should've Come Over" and "Eternal Life".
  • KlumpieKlumpie Posts: 2,649
    I will try it again sometime in the future, but i didn't had the feeling that the most of the people got with this album. Alot of people say it's a masterpiece, so you could always try it.
    Thanks everybody for the feedback. Can't wait until it gets here (online order).
    Grace is fantastic. I'm actually excited for you to get it and listen to it. There is nothing better than discovering a great artist that you werent previously into and then being able to go back and track down other songs, albums, sessions etc.

Lover you should come over is one of my all time favorite songs.

"Looking out the door I see the rain fall upon the funeral mourners
    Parading in a wake of sad relations as their shoes fill up with water
    And maybe I’m too young to keep good love from going wrong
    But tonight you’re on my mind so you never know

When I’m broken down and hungry for your love with no way to feed it
    Where are you tonight, child you know how much I need it
    Too young to hold on and too old to just break free and run

Sometimes a man gets carried away, when he feels like he should be having his fun
    And much too blind to see the damage he’s done
    Sometimes a man must awake to find that really, he has no-one

So I’ll wait for you... and I’ll burn
    Will I ever see your sweet return
    Oh will I ever learn

Oh lover, you should’ve come over
    ’cause it’s not too late

Lonely is the room, the bed is made, the open window lets the rain in
    Burning in the corner is the only one who dreams he had you with him
    My body turns and yearns for a sleep that will never come

It’s never over, my kingdom for a kiss upon her shoulder
    It’s never over, all my riches for her smiles when I slept so soft against her
    It’s never over, all my blood for the sweetness of her laughter
    It’s never over, she’s the tear that hangs inside my soul forever

Well maybe I’m just too young
    To keep good love from going wrong

Oh... lover, you should’ve come over
    ’cause it’s not too late

Well I feel too young to hold on
    And I’m much too old to break free and run
    Too deaf, dumb, and blind to see the damage I’ve done
    Sweet lover, you should’ve come over
    Oh, love well I’m waiting for you

Lover, you should’ve come over
    ’cause it’s not too late"
    baby boomers selling you rumors of their history, forcing youth away from the truth of what's real today.
  • darkgreendarkgreen Posts: 57
    God, I love Jeff and everything he did. You won't be disappointed I promise!!!
    Lover, You Should Have Come Over is amazing. Those are some of the most beautiful lyrics ever written in my opinion. I actually prefer the performance on Live at Sine to the one on Grace. Last Goodbye, Grace, Mojo Pin, And Hallelujah are my favorites on Grace. Buckley was such and amazing artist - incredible voice, great guitar player, and unbelievable songwriter. He had a very unique guitar style - he doesn't get much credit for it, but I think it really added an extra dimension to his music. I put Jeff on the same plane as guys like Hendrix and Coltrane - guys whose talent is really just on another level from everyone else - almost better than any normal human should be able to be.
  • touringfantouringfan Posts: 568
    want to know how good the album is? You just got HENDRIX78 to double his post count after being on the board for over a year. ;)
    baby boomers selling you rumors of their history, forcing youth away from the truth of what's real today.
  • darkgreendarkgreen Posts: 57
    hendrix78 wrote:
    He had a very unique guitar style - he doesn't get much credit for it

that's true! and Ive always thought it's kinda weird!
  • PissBottleManPissBottleMan Posts: 4,154
    Haunting. Bittersweet.

Great album.

I always think of Vanilla Sky when I hear Last Goodbye.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • westbygodwestbygod Posts: 11
    one of the best albums i've ever heard. try finding some of his live stuff too, hewas truly incredible. i would love to hear what he would be doing now. too bad he went so soon.
  • capybaraletcapybaralet Posts: 145
    One of my 50 favorite albums.

very very very good.
    everything=3

2-1-0

4-3-2-1-0
    2---2--3---3--2----1

2-2-2-3-3-3-2-2-0

M
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    One of my 50 favorite albums.

very very very good.

only top 50?
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • gtbrown77gtbrown77 Posts: 141
    Jeff's music is entirely too beautiful for words to describe. Grace truly is a materpiece album.....makes my all-time top 10, if not my all-time top 5. I bought Grace upon recommendation from a bunch of folks from this board, as I was looking to branch out in my musical tastes at the time. I was listening to a TON of metal at the time, and decided it was time to find a new direction. So I bought Grace. A far cry from what I was listening to and from what I was expecting. And given all that I was listening to at the time, I wasn't entirely sure about it. BUT....his cover of Hallelujah brought me back. THE most beautiful version of any song EVER....hands down. So I gave it a few more listens. Next thing I know, I'm hunting down everything JB that I can find. I think I own all the official releases, minus the Grace EP box set. And I have some bootleg stuff as well (I should dig those out here!). You should like it. And if you do, I would suggest getting the Legacy Edition Live at Sin e set.....absolutely amazing stuff. And if you can find it, the Live a l'Olympia import (official, not a bootleg) is amazing stuff too. Really, if you like Grace, you won't be disappointed with anything that Jeff has ever done. Get it all.....you'll be glad you did.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."
    -John Lennon
  • bucket1988bucket1988 Posts: 212
    This opinion doesn't seem to be too popular here, but...

Jeff Buckley is my #3 favorite singer on his voice alone (behind Chris Cornell and Freddie Mercury). Hallelujah is a supremely beautiful song, essential for any music fan. With that said, I find the rest of the CD quite underwhelming. Buckley is an excellent singer, but an ungifted songwriter. His melodies are uninspired and sometimes awkward, and I usually get bored about halfway through each song. "Eternal Life," the album's lone rocker, is a fairly strong track, but Jeff Buckley desperately needed a band (rather than just being a singer/songwriter) in order to make the most of his voice by putting it over great music.

If you love his voice enough, the album still might be worth picking up, (and you already did get it, if I was reading this thread correctly), but don't expect to be blown away by the songs. It really was a terrible shame that he died so young and with so much (vocal) talent, though...
    The words you say never seem to live up to the ones inside your head...
    bucket1988 wrote:
    This opinion doesn't seem to be too popular here, but...

Jeff Buckley is my #3 favorite singer on his voice alone (behind Chris Cornell and Freddie Mercury). Hallelujah is a supremely beautiful song, essential for any music fan. With that said, I find the rest of the CD quite underwhelming. Buckley is an excellent singer, but an ungifted songwriter. His melodies are uninspired and sometimes awkward, and I usually get bored about halfway through each song. "Eternal Life," the album's lone rocker, is a fairly strong track, but Jeff Buckley desperately needed a band (rather than just being a singer/songwriter) in order to make the most of his voice by putting it over great music.

If you love his voice enough, the album still might be worth picking up, (and you already did get it, if I was reading this thread correctly), but don't expect to be blown away by the songs. It really was a terrible shame that he died so young and with so much (vocal) talent, though...

remember 'Grace" was jeff's first 'real' album. getting it together within the framework of a major would be daunting for the most commercial and willing artist. but buckley didn't work like that. 'Grace' was born of difficult genesis and i have no doubt that with time he would've grown into one of the best.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    I just finished listening to the album for the first time and I thought it was excellent. I didn't care for Corpus Christi Carol, but other than that, very good stuff. Thanks for the input.
    I love this album. Jeff Buckley is one of those artists that breaks many peoples musical boundaries. People who listen to all sorts of different music have love for Jeff's music.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • Great album its like listening to an angel
    "I write a letter to a friend of mine
    I tell him how much I used to love watch him smile
    See I haven't seen him smile in a little while
    Haven't seen him smile in a little while
    But, I know you're laughing from the inside out."
    Blind Melon - Mouthfull of cavities
    R.I.P. JEN
  • duggroduggro Posts: 1,343
    epicly epic
    Dublin Leeds Berlin Wembley
    i was listening to buckley on my headphones singing along to hallelujah, as i always do.
    zoe says, 'hey mum i know that song.'
    i say, 'do you?'
    zoe says, 'yes'
    i ask, 'from where'?'
    zoe says, 'shrek'.

perfect.

if anyone doesn't have the grace legacy edition, i highly recommend it. i think it's worth it just for 'forget her'. but all the songs go to show that jeff's true instrument was his voice. at the end of 'alligator wine', you can hear jeff laugh and it's such a beautiful sound.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • mindblowing.

Jeff Buckley might have been the best singer in history...
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • rcsrcs Posts: 711
    Grace is easily the most beautiful album I own. My #3 favorite album of all time. It's really just that good!
    E agora? Faz xixi na mão e deita fora!
  • gtbrown77gtbrown77 Posts: 141
    i was listening to buckley on my headphones singing along to hallelujah, as i always do.
    zoe says, 'hey mum i know that song.'
    i say, 'do you?'
    zoe says, 'yes'
    i ask, 'from where'?'
    zoe says, 'shrek'.

perfect.

if anyone doesn't have the grace legacy edition, i highly recommend it. i think it's worth it just for 'forget her'. but all the songs go to show that jeff's true instrument was his voice. at the end of 'alligator wine', you can hear jeff laugh and it's such a beautiful sound.

Not sure if you thought that Hallelujah being on Shrek is a good thing or bad thing....but I believe it is Leonard Cohen's version. It's def. not Jeff's version. And it's not like any of the characters is singing it. It seems to be an appropriate song for what's going on in the movie at the time.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."
    -John Lennon