Need Some Good Chick Rock For My Wife

2»

Comments

• Options
    audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    Cat Power and Regina Spektor.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • Options
    *Boy*Boy Posts: 112
    K's Choice
    ~It is better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you are not ~

~You laugh because I am different, I laugh because you are all the fucking same ~

~Education is the most powerfull weapon you can use to change the world - Nelson Mandela~

~chaka boom chak -Tom Waits~
  • Options
    SpartanacusSpartanacus Oviedo, FL Posts: 827
    Not sure if this is hard rocking enough for you or your lady, but I can't believe nobody has mentioned Sheryl Crow yet. I'm not into chick music in general, but my wife turned me onto her a few years back, and I really enjoy all of her work. You won't catch me dead listening to any other music from a female besides hers.

My wife also turned me on to Lenny Kravitz. Both SC and LK are great for both sexes...not too hard, not too soft.

*** EDIT *** I just noticed that soulsinging did mention Sheryl Crow...good job!
    19 Pearl Jam shows and still searching for Deep!
    1998 (2) - East Lansing & Auburn Hills; 2000 (2) - Tampa & Noblesville; 2003 (2) - Lexington & Noblesville; 2006 (1) - Cincinnati; 2007 (1) - Chicago (Lollapalooza); 2008 (Ed in Milwaukee); 2009 (1) - Chicago; 2010 (1) - Noblesville; 2013 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2016 (Temple of the Dog in Los Angeles); 2017 (Ed at Ohana in Dana Point);
    2021 (3) - Dana Point I, II & III; 2022 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2025 - Southern U.S. Tour Please!
  • Options
    soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    Juliana Hatfield - Bed or Total System Failure
    PJ Harvey - Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea

They've both made many great albums, but these albums would probably be the best choices for a little rock edge mixed with catchy, feminine vocals. Juliana's other albums are largely rather poppy and PJ's can be quite abbrasive (neither of which is a bad thing)!
    Right now I'm listening to a lot of Aimee Mann, Beth Orton and Gillian Welch, but they aren't very rock (not at all, in Gillian's case), so I probably wouldn't go there.

That said, is it really necessary to throw around terms like "chick rock"? You'd think female musicians (not to mention listeners) were from a completely different, less prestegious world than the men based on the way people tend to speak in regard to women. We women are not animals or children, ya know? I like the Pearl Jam as much as the next person, but PJ Harvey can rock just as hard and play the hell out of her guitar. I don't think it's fair to segregate her from the great male musicians of the world based on her sex. I'm not assuming that any of you guys meant to be condescending, but it might be something to think about.

Good luck expanding your wife's (and your own) musical horizons!

Sincerely,
    A female music lover, not a chick ;)
  • Options
    senninsennin Posts: 2,146
    Damone kicks ass!
  • Options
    armyreservearmyreserve Posts: 209
    PJ Harvey (Anything recorded by her is just genius!)
    Fiona Apple (Extraordinary Machine is... well, extraordinary! Her best yet!)
    Liz Phair (Exile in Guyville, her first album is amazing!)
    10/06/91 Hollywood, CA; 05/13/92 Hollywood, CA; 09/02/93 Hollywood, CA; 11/05/93 Indio, CA; 11/07/95 San Diego, CA; 03/29/98 (Dead Man Walking - The Concert) Los Angeles, CA; 07/13/98 Inglewood, CA; 10/24/00 Los Angeles, CA; 10/28/00 Devore, CA;07/09/06 Los Angeles, CA; 07/10/06 Los Angeles, CA; 09/30/09 Universal City, CA; 10/01/09 Universal City, CA