Naveed - Our Lady Peace

facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
edited April 2008 in Other Music
Anyone else LOVE this song? To me it's one of those absolutely perfect songs. Such an underrated band.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• depopulationINCdepopulationINC Posts: 2,074
    Anyone else LOVE this song? To me it's one of those absolutely perfect songs. Such an underrated band.

I love OLP....really hate this song. Its okay....but not in their top 20, and it was WAY killed
    The only thing I enjoy is having no feelings....being numb rocks!

And I won't make the same mistakes
    (Because I know)
    Because I know how much time that wastes
    (And function)
    Function is the key
  • Jammin909Jammin909 Posts: 888
    Happiness and the Fish is my favorite song off of one of my top 5 favorite albums. Naveed is OK IMO. I have seen OLP twice and love them. They are underrated to some degree but the last CD doesnt exactly help their cause.
    The less you know, the more you believe.
  • chris01chris01 Posts: 559
    I agree, their last cd sucked big time.

But Naveed, Clumsy, Happiness.... some of my fav albums.
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    I love OLP....really hate this song. Its okay....but not in their top 20, and it was WAY killed

Hmm, guess it just strikes a chord with me, to me it's pretty atmospheric and has a great chorus. What do you mean it was "WAY killed"? By radio? - See that I could understand since British radio overplays any decent songs, never heard OLP on British radio though.
  • depploverdepplover Posts: 189
    yep, its awesome!! OLP rock! i've liked them since they started! :D
    5/09/06, 5/10/06 - FUCKIN AMAZING!!!!
  • IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    That is a great song..but the band has sucked hard ever since. They continue to get more and more watered down and shitty. Never really like anything beyond that first album.
  • NakedClownNakedClown Posts: 545
    Their last album did NOT suck... it's a grower...trust me....

Naveed is a pretty sweet track...
  • harrymanbackharrymanback Posts: 435
    fuck bob rock
    I don't want to be hostile. I don't want to be dismal. But I don't want to rot in an apathetic existance either.
  • jambayleafjambayleaf Posts: 646
    Igottago wrote:
    That is a great song..but the band has sucked hard ever since. They continue to get more and more watered down and shitty. Never really like anything beyond that first album.

I couldn't agree more. First cd was awesome, second was annoying, and the progression started. saw them when they opened for Van Halen in Minneapolis in like 95 and they were good live. Starseed was about "smoking alot of weed" as the singer put it.
    So now I'm drivin the bus- Kramer
    You're batman!- George
    Yeah...yeah...I AM batman!!- Kramer
  • nightfly107nightfly107 Posts: 67
    Their mistake working with Bob Rock with the exception of Motley Crue and the Black Album what Good has come working with him?
  • karma defectkarma defect Posts: 5,483
    I only have that Beatles cover.
    « One man's glory is another man's hell.
    You’re on the outside, never bound by such a spell.
    Together in the darkness, alone in the light.
    I took it upon me to be yours, Timmy,
    I’ll lead your angels and demons at play tonight......»
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    I saw these guys at Buzzfest 98 and they played right before Foo fighters. Our lady peace though they only had 2 albums at the time, are an amazing live band, however, I am sorry to say, that I am not a fan of their live album. Rane's voice just sounds awful. I hope that was just an off night, and that he does not sound like that permanantley. Bands can lose their edge, I saw third eye blind twice, the first time- great. the second time awful. I like the song starseed from the olp debut, but I have not really given the rest of the album a listen or heard much of that one since the buzzfest show.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • naveeds a great song & OLP ia an awesome band, i only like a handful of songs of their latest album tho , (i forgot the name of it) I didnt like Gravity at first tho, but now i love it, love all their albums, hopfeully Healthy in Paranoid times wil grow on me (i remebered the name)
    "no more crowbars to my head"
    Bump.

Loving this song at the moment, the last minute or so is just incredible.
  • thunderDANthunderDAN Posts: 2,094
    Jammin909 wrote:
    They are underrated to some degree but the last CD doesnt exactly help their cause.

Yea man I hear you on that. I was a huge OLP fan after Spiritual Machines. I started liking them around 98, and by the time that album came out I was a huge fan. I saw them like 3 times...everything was great. That until they released Gravity-which wasn't terrible, but it was hardly a step up from Spiritual Machines. Then they released the last album which was the biggest kick in the nuts in my music lifetime. I really really liked this band because I loved the way they were going after Clumsy. They were a band that had influences of Pearl Jam and Radiohead (my two favorite bands) and turned into a band that wanted to be more like Nickelback. The tour with 3 Doors Down sealed their fate for me. I refused to see them open for 3DD, and that was it. Raine still is my favorite voice in rock, and his live show is awesome. But until they fire Bob Rock, and get Mike Turner back..I will not listen to any more new shit they put out (because it is really shit)
    also, Jeremy Taggert is an awesome drummer. His drumming style is unique and downright awesome at times. When they started with Bob Rock, he said something along the lines of "Jeremey needed to tone it down a bit. His drumming style is too much for the radio"
    who the fuck does that? Who takes one of the bands biggest strengths and tells him to turn it down so you can be played on the radio. F-that, that is what I'm talking about when I say they want to be Nickelback.
  • alpittalpitt Posts: 91
    I like the first 4 OLP albums, especially happiness and clumsy, but have given up on them after the last two. Damn shame when artists start going downhill and no one is around to stop them.
    "I'm an ideas man Michael, I think I proved that with F*ck Mountain" -GOB
    thunderDAN wrote:
    Yea man I hear you on that. I was a huge OLP fan after Spiritual Machines. I started liking them around 98, and by the time that album came out I was a huge fan. I saw them like 3 times...everything was great. That until they released Gravity-which wasn't terrible, but it was hardly a step up from Spiritual Machines. Then they released the last album which was the biggest kick in the nuts in my music lifetime. I really really liked this band because I loved the way they were going after Clumsy. They were a band that had influences of Pearl Jam and Radiohead (my two favorite bands) and turned into a band that wanted to be more like Nickelback. The tour with 3 Doors Down sealed their fate for me. I refused to see them open for 3DD, and that was it. Raine still is my favorite voice in rock, and his live show is awesome. But until they fire Bob Rock, and get Mike Turner back..I will not listen to any more new shit they put out (because it is really shit)

To be fair though, the last album sounded more like Coldplay or latter-day U2, it sounded nothing like Nickelback. I think in general the last album was full of well written songs, it just didn't sound like OLP at all. I hope they come back with a more edgy sound.
    To be fair though, the last album sounded more like Coldplay or latter-day U2, it sounded nothing like Nickelback. I think in general the last album was full of well written songs, it just didn't sound like OLP at all. I hope they come back with a more edgy sound.

I mean 'Nickelback' as writing and recording music especially to be played on the radio and sell records. Bob Rock's success is measured by how many albums are sold, not if they make good music. Arnold Lanni was different. He let them be artists. Spiritual Machines was the climax of OLP, then they took a career nosedive because they purposely tried to be something they weren't and fail at it.

I mean I was a HUGE OLP fan. My friend was a local DJ at 92.3 here in Cleveland and was actually friends with all of them from back in the days of Naveed when they first toured Cleveland. He is a giant OLP fan, but it was cool b/c they dedicated Naveed to him at their Cleveland show in 2005, they send him Christmas cards, and I even got to meet Jeremy, Duncan and Raine at a bar one night when he called me to come meet him. I mean they quickly turned into one of my favorite bands, but the last album just didn't click with me at all. They took everything I liked about them(Raine's distinctive voice, cool drums and a style that can't be categorized) and just threw it all out the window to make a bland record that bland people would find interesting enough to buy. I still hold out hope that after crap sales of their last album and a long layoff, they will come back and go back to what they were.
    thunderDAN wrote:
    I mean 'Nickelback' as writing and recording music especially to be played on the radio and sell records. Bob Rock's success is measured by how many albums are sold, not if they make good music. Arnold Lanni was different. He let them be artists. Spiritual Machines was the climax of OLP, then they took a career nosedive because they purposely tried to be something they weren't and fail at it.

I mean I was a HUGE OLP fan. My friend was a local DJ at 92.3 here in Cleveland and was actually friends with all of them from back in the days of Naveed when they first toured Cleveland. He is a giant OLP fan, but it was cool b/c they dedicated Naveed to him at their Cleveland show in 2005, they send him Christmas cards, and I even got to meet Jeremy, Duncan and Raine at a bar one night when he called me to come meet him. I mean they quickly turned into one of my favorite bands, but the last album just didn't click with me at all. They took everything I liked about them(Raine's distinctive voice, cool drums and a style that can't be categorized) and just threw it all out the window to make a bland record that bland people would find interesting enough to buy. I still hold out hope that after crap sales of their last album and a long layoff, they will come back and go back to what they were.

Ah ok, I see what you mean. I think lyrically the album was fairly decent, he clearly had things he wanted to say, so in that sense I wouldn't say it was as bad as Nickelback. But yeah I totally agree that the music sounded far more generic; which is especially apparent when you listen to Happiness and Spiritual Machines. I have no doubt that the crappy sales will have effected their approach this time round. Is there any word on who is producing the new one?
    Ah ok, I see what you mean. I think lyrically the album was fairly decent, he clearly had things he wanted to say, so in that sense I wouldn't say it was as bad as Nickelback. But yeah I totally agree that the music sounded far more generic; which is especially apparent when you listen to Happiness and Spiritual Machines. I have no doubt that the crappy sales will have effected their approach this time round. Is there any word on who is producing the new one?

I hear they have stuff written, but there are no concrete plans as to when they will even enter the studio to produce an album. Two of them have kids that they are trying to raise, Duncan lives in Toronto, Steve lives in Michigan, Raine lives in Ontario and LA, and Jeremy lives with someone from the LA Kings in LA, so they are all over North America and have stuff written, but who knows if anything will come of it.
    I just read this from an interview with Raine:

RM: Um... yeah. The interesting thing is, this record has really helped me formulate a plan for OLP. And now that this thing is done, we've started making an Our Lady Peace record - just slowly, but really in keeping with the way that this record was made. I'm engineering and producing, and we're doing it at my studio where I made this record, where I make all my music now. We're taking the same energy, and that kind of idealistic attitude again about music. It's a really good place to be in, I think. And I think the fact that this record happened is a great stepping stone for OLP. Even though these things are very separate - and I think that's a great thing - the mentality and the emotion and energy that went into my solo record has already proven it's working on OLP's stuff. Because it sounds much closer to Naveed, and it's just the four of us in the studio. There's no producer, there's no big name, we're not spending $1 million on a record - expectations are so much lower. And when we do that, the music is able to explode. It's so much better. So yeah, it's been pretty enlightening that way, and I'm glad it's transferred onto OLP's stuff.

Sounds quite promising!
  • gleemonexgleemonex Posts: 848
    Our Lady Peace was one of my favourite bands when I was growing up in the mid-90s. Naveed, Clumsy, Happiness is Not a Fish You Can Catch and Spiritual Machines were all CDs that I used to love. I saw them once on the Spiritual Machines tour and they were good. Unfortunately, the music they have released since Spiritual Machines does not appeal to me at all and the earlier albums have since been put away. A shame, I know, I might have to crack those out sometime soon.
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • myhookmyhook Posts: 284
    I just read this from an interview with Raine:

RM: Um... yeah. The interesting thing is, this record has really helped me formulate a plan for OLP. And now that this thing is done, we've started making an Our Lady Peace record - just slowly, but really in keeping with the way that this record was made. I'm engineering and producing, and we're doing it at my studio where I made this record, where I make all my music now. We're taking the same energy, and that kind of idealistic attitude again about music. It's a really good place to be in, I think. And I think the fact that this record happened is a great stepping stone for OLP. Even though these things are very separate - and I think that's a great thing - the mentality and the emotion and energy that went into my solo record has already proven it's working on OLP's stuff. Because it sounds much closer to Naveed, and it's just the four of us in the studio. There's no producer, there's no big name, we're not spending $1 million on a record - expectations are so much lower. And when we do that, the music is able to explode. It's so much better. So yeah, it's been pretty enlightening that way, and I'm glad it's transferred onto OLP's stuff.

Sounds quite promising!
    I can't wait, OLP is one of my favs. I actually loved the last album they put out.
    Hey, you wouldn't hire a clown to fix a leak in the jon so why do you let these hooligans tear down the biz? YEEAAHHH. I don't care if he is Mr. Notorious BIG, can he croon?
  • SoupySoupy Posts: 171
    Loved the first 3 albums, 'S. Machines' was the start of the downwards spiral, 'Gravity' was pretty dire and from what i've heard of the last one it's more of the same. Shame really songs like 'the birdman', 'hope', 'car crash' and the mighty 'stealing babies' show they could write some interesting tunes and even their standard quiet/load verse/chorus stuff like 'Julia', 'Blister', 'Clumsy' etc was much better than most mainstream acts were doing.

Kindoff simular to the band 'Live' in the fact they used to be great but rapidly started to get worse after 3 records.
  • i only like starseed
  • hodgehodge Posts: 519
    naveed is one of the great albums from the 90s
    ..and you will come to find that we are all one mind, capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable
  • PJ_GAPJ_GA Posts: 121
    starseed is my fav song of theirs
    ITS MY BLOOOOOOODDDDDD!!!!!!!!!
  • MCGMCG Posts: 780
    Like many others, I completely gave up on this band after Clumsy. Their 1st record was very cool and they were really never able to recapture it IMO.
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • Raine finally came to grips with the fact that bob fvcking rock sucks big time ... bring back Mike.
    I don't want to be hostile. I don't want to be dismal. But I don't want to rot in an apathetic existance either.