Kurt would have turned 40 today

2»

Comments

• Interesting, but it seems a bit biased. But its worthy of a look.
    That is the only thing I dislike about it. But it does bring up critical points. And it's good for him to be passionate about solving "the case", even thirteen years later.
  • danny72688 wrote:
    http://www.cobaincase.com/index.htm

^^^ Can everyone who calls "suicide" please just look at this? I don't care if it changes your opinion, just be open to the conspiracy that could be true. It's actually a pretty freaky read.

I just re-read the main assertions on that site, I have looked at it in depth in the past. At the end of the day, there is one major thing it over looks, Kurt left the rehab centre of his own volition, and essentially disappeared. If someone had planned his murder, the first and most obvious thing they would need to know, is where he was! What's more, it would take a pretty experienced person or persons, to know how to fake a suicide with that much accuracy and attention to detail (in terms of cleaning the crime scene of any even tiny bits of evidence that would prove it was not a suicide).

Also, at the end of the day, what makes this guy's 'evidence' so reliable anyway? It's circumstantial, nothing more. No more compelling than the evidence in the West Memphis Three case. People seem to base their opinions more on how much they hate Courtney Love rather than the fact Kurt was a manic depressive with an out of control heroin addiciton and an inability to handle fame. I'm not sure if people are aware, but she actually saved his life once with a shot of adrenalin to the heart, Pulp Fiction style.
  • chris01chris01 Posts: 559
    Good god, a thread for people to say happy birthday to him or whatever has turned into yet another bashing the fuck out of him.
    Everyone's entitled to their own opinion.... but in mine, this thread didnt need to turn into this. If you dont like a person/band, dont read the thread... yup, its that easy, lol.

Peace people. :)
  • I just re-read the main assertions on that site, I have looked at it in depth in the past. At the end of the day, there is one major thing it over looks, Kurt left the rehab centre of his own volition, and essentially disappeared. If someone had planned his murder, the first and most obvious thing they would need to know, is where he was! What's more, it would take a pretty experienced person or persons, to know how to fake a suicide with that much accuracy and attention to detail (in terms of cleaning the crime scene of any even tiny bits of evidence that would prove it was not a suicide).

Also, at the end of the day, what makes this guy's 'evidence' so reliable anyway? It's circumstantial, nothing more. No more compelling than the evidence in the West Memphis Three case. People seem to base their opinions more on how much they hate Courtney Love rather than the fact Kurt was a manic depressive with an out of control heroin addiciton and an inability to handle fame. I'm not sure if people are aware, but she actually saved his life once with a shot of adrenalin to the heart, Pulp Fiction style.
    You strike another critical point! Never thought of that before.

I can't answer your question. I don't hold it as truth, though. I look at this topic as more of a debate as weird as that sounds.
  • It appears that this thread has rubbed some people the wrong way. I feel it is mostly my fault, so I am going to back down. Let's remember the music the guy made. Thats one thing we can all agree on. He made music.
    "Strangers passing in the street, by chance two seperate glances meet, and I am you and what I see is me."
  • deadnotedeadnote Posts: 1,678
    happy birthday
    set your laughter free

dreamer in my dream

we got the guns

i love you,but im..............callin out.........callin out
  • danny72688 wrote:
    You strike another critical point! Never thought of that before.

I can't answer your question. I don't hold it as truth, though. I look at this topic as more of a debate as weird as that sounds.

I think the real key comes in actually understanding Courtney Love and what drives her, rather than demonizing her because of her outlandish behaviour. Courtney is an incredibly complex person, the result of a ridiculously fucked up childhood which moulded her into the attention seeking adult she is today. But, her lyrics are actually pretty transparent for the most part, and show a lot about how she felt about Kurt.

A lot of people want to believe the conspiracy theory, but one look at the site shows this guy is heavily biased and expects people to believe his recollections of conversations with Courtney to be accurate. He makes a lot of subjective opinions about Courtney, referring to her as psychopathic and what not. It could be that after dealing with her, he developed such a hatred for her, so much so that he made it his life's mission to ruin her and thus strung together a lot of tenuous 'evidence' to prove she had something to do with Kurt's death.

Ultimately if Courtney wanted Kurt dead, there were much easier ways for her to have done it. She could have given him a fatal overdose while he slept. How would anyone prove it wasn't suicide, he was a heroin addict.

I really didn't want this thread to descend into this.
  • I think the real key comes in actually understanding Courtney Love and what drives her, rather than demonizing her because of her outlandish behaviour. Courtney is an incredibly complex person, the result of a ridiculously fucked up childhood which moulded her into the attention seeking adult she is today. But, her lyrics are actually pretty transparent for the most part, and show a lot about how she felt about Kurt.

A lot of people want to believe the conspiracy theory, but one look at the site shows this guy is heavily biased and expects people to believe his recollections of conversations with Courtney to be accurate. He makes a lot of subjective opinions about Courtney, referring to her as psychopathic and what not. It could be that after dealing with her, he developed such a hatred for her, so much so that he made it his life's mission to ruin her and thus strung together a lot of tenuous 'evidence' to prove she had something to do with Kurt's death.

Ultimately if Courtney wanted Kurt dead, there were much easier ways for her to have done it. She could have given him a fatal overdose while he slept. How would anyone prove it wasn't suicide, he was a heroin addict.

I really didn't want this thread to descend into this.
    I apologize for bringing it up :o I always feel the need to though, just because I feel everyone should at least be aware of the other side. Thanks for enlightening me about Courtney though, I was pretty set on her being a witch, but now I'll have to reconsider. I'm done talking about it now, sorry again.

Happy birthday Kurt, RIP.
  • It appears that this thread has rubbed some people the wrong way. I feel it is mostly my fault, so I am going to back down. Let's remember the music the guy made. Thats one thing we can all agree on. He made music.

Awful big of you. agree to disagree right :D. Welcome to the board btw.
    "Everyone is a patriot in some form or another.... i prefer the intelligent ones."

"She fell funny"

"Klaus Daimler, 40, engineer, calm, collected, German"
  • BrainofdzBrainofdz Posts: 1,617
    How can you call someone mighty who was weak enough to kill himself? I don't care how much you "hate your popularity." There is just no excuse for it.

I don't judge him for what he did. I feel incredible sorrow that he felt there was no other choice. He had a bad drug problem which I know from experience completely warps your judgement.

Can't we just Pay tribute to someone who meant alot to us for one day ?
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

When you see me on the street, yell out "FAVO!!!"

I've been to alot of Pearl Jam shows;So fucking what.
    There is a conspiracy for everything. The man is dead *most likely* because of suicide. Fine, whatever makes you happy. But bottom line is that his birthday is now irrelevant. I like Nirvana, but I would love to never hear about Cobain again.

Well, as long as I'm here, that will never happen. He touched my life (and continues to) in ways I can't even do justice with words. He remains relevant and his contributions to music will never be forgotten.

I have a tip for you though, If you don't want to hear about him, you might want to avoid threads with his name in the title.
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

I am not trying to seem like a heartless ass or anything like that, it's just kinda morbid to celebrate the birthday of someone who is dead. How about we make Mr. Cobain a cake. We could all wear those fun little hats and sing that wonderful birthday song.

I'd like to make you a cake made of my shit, and smush it in your face.

• Brainofdz wrote:
    Well, as long as I'm here, that will never happen. He touched my life (and continues to) in ways I can't even do justice with words. He remains relevant and his contributions to music will never be forgotten.

I have a tip for you though, If you don't want to hear about him, you might want to avoid threads with his name in the title.

No more need to bash me. I have agreed to disagree. He was a huge influence on a lot of people. I know that. Happy birthday to him. Wish he was here to enjoy it.
    "Strangers passing in the street, by chance two seperate glances meet, and I am you and what I see is me."
  • Brainofdz wrote:
    I'd like to make you a cake made of my shit, and smush it in your face.

Well, that's something you don't read everyday. A shit cake. Beautiful.
  • VEDHEAD27VEDHEAD27 Posts: 3,091
    :(:(:(:(
    Awwww no!! This breaks my heart. He would have been 40! Wtf!?
    He would have been so many things. *sigh* He was so many things. *tears*
    ~some die just to live~

Nothing but love & remembrance over here.
    <~~~ has NIrvana in heavy rotation

((HAPPY BIRTHDAY KURT))
    Yes..wherever you are.

We’ll float around
    And hang out on clouds

The usual image comes to mind...him up there just jamming away with Layne. :o
    An image that always makes me smile. :)

We miss you so fuckin much!
    :(

••DUMB••

I’m not like them
    But I can pretend
    The sun is gone
    But I have a light
    The day is done
    But Im having fun
    I think Im dumb
    Or maybe just happy

Think Im just happy
    Think Im just happy
    Think Im just happy

My heart is broke
    But I have some glue
    Help me inhale
    And mend it with you
    We’ll float around
    And hang out on clouds
    Then well come down
    And I have a hangover

Have a hangover
    Have a hangover
    Have a hangover

Skin the sun
    Fall asleep
    Wish away
    The soul is cheap
    Lesson learned
    Wish me luck
    Soothe the burn
    Wake me up
    ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤

"Lo√e, you know the word
    ...YOU invented it!" ~ E√

¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤
    ...::STONE--YOU--OWN!::...
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
    Well, that's something you don't read everyday. A shit cake. Beautiful.

It's all love here brother. We like to get a bit feisty at times, but it's all in good fun

• Brainofdz wrote:
    It's all love here brother. We like to get a bit feisty at times, but it's all in good fun

And good fun it has been. I love a good debate.
  • BinauralBinaural Posts: 1,046
    But, he did help change an entire generation of music, whilst wiping out the shitty hair metal of the 80's.
    Wrong, he made a contribution. There were a plethora of bands involved, it was those bands as a collective that added to the impact of any particular one of them had.
    Look, some think he's an asshole, some think he's great, some though he was talented others can't understand why he got signed. That aside, can people please stop painting him as a one man army against all that was wrong with music he wasn't.
    ~*~*~*~*PROUD EVENFLOW PSYCHO #0026~*~*~*~*

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^RED MOSQUITO #2^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Dublin 08/06
    Katowice 06/07 London 06/07 Dusseldorf 06/07 Nijgemen 06/07
  • Binaural wrote:
    Wrong, he made a contribution. There were a plethora of bands involved, it was those bands as a collective that added to the impact of any particular one of them had.
    Look, some think he's an asshole, some think he's great, some though he was talented others can't understand why he got signed. That aside, can people please stop painting him as a one man army against all that was wrong with music he wasn't.

Whilst I see where you are coming from, Nirvana were undoubtedly the most mainstream sounding band of the four big Seattle bands, and without Kurt's melodies attracting mainstream listeners to the band and other Seattle bands, that corner of the world may never have blown up in the way it did.
  • BinauralBinaural Posts: 1,046
    Whilst I see where you are coming from, Nirvana were undoubtedly the most mainstream sounding band of the four big Seattle bands, and without Kurt's melodies attracting mainstream listeners to the band and other Seattle bands, that corner of the world may never have blown up in the way it did.
    Thats debateable, I mean you can't say for sure, although I agree he (Not specificaly Nirvana as lets face it, it was his looks that made him a poster boy and lended attention to the band) had a significant influence on the growth of attention shown to some other bands from Seattle, his contribution is grossely overstated for no reason other than his suicide, I get it, fans miss him, they grieve in a sense, but thats no excuse for the gross overestimation of his influence. It just pisses me off that qaulity bands like AIC, PJ etc, their role in getting themselves to where they are and what they achieved, or respectively were or what they achieved, is undermined because of Coabins suicide. As a fan of many of these bands I feel vindicated for saying things like this as I get flamed and told 'show some respect for the dead'. I am also aware that you are not nessacerily one of those people, however all I ask is that you measure your statements carefully.
    ~*~*~*~*PROUD EVENFLOW PSYCHO #0026~*~*~*~*

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^RED MOSQUITO #2^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Dublin 08/06
    Katowice 06/07 London 06/07 Dusseldorf 06/07 Nijgemen 06/07
  • Binaural wrote:
    Thats debateable, I mean you can't say for sure, although I agree he (Not specificaly Nirvana as lets face it, it was his looks that made him a poster boy and lended attention to the band) had a significant influence on the growth of attention shown to some other bands from Seattle, his contribution is grossely overstated for no reason other than his suicide, I get it, fans miss him, they grieve in a sense, but thats no excuse for the gross overestimation of his influence. It just pisses me off that qaulity bands like AIC, PJ etc, their role in getting themselves to where they are and what they achieved, or respectively were or what they achieved, is undermined because of Coabins suicide. As a fan of many of these bands I feel vindicated for saying things like this as I get flamed and told 'show some respect for the dead'. I am also aware that you are not nessacerily one of those people, however all I ask is that you measure your statements carefully.

Again I disagree. It seems to be a common misconception that technical talent is somehow more important or impressive than the ability to write insanely catchy tunes. Kurt's talent is so often shunned by people who judge music on it's technical merit, but the guy had an incredible ear for melodies, had he chosen to work for the dark side and written songs for pop stars he would have been equally successful.

I'm by no means the biggest Nirvana fan, in fact I barely listen to them these days because there's too many bad memories associated with it. And I'm in no way saying those other bands didn't have equal musical talent (if not more), just that Nirvana were a very pivitol band in that whole movement. Hell, the Pixies essentially covered most of Nirvana's formula years before, but it wasn't the Pixies that bought it to the mainstream.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    I don't care what he went through. He didn't like being famous and did drugs. No fucking reason to off yourself. I would love to be famous. If he didn't like it, he should have stopped making albums.

are you kidding me? do you seriously think he killed himself cause he was famous? there was a lot more going on with him than that.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say