JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,444
    X
    The Replacements
    Pearl Jam
    CCR
    REM
  • Options
    PaulJamPaulJam Posts: 163
    The Replacements and The Ramones should definitely be up there!
  • Options
    MojopinMojopin Posts: 216
    LOL, and no Janes' on that list.

Idiots.
    "A consistently good band works all the different elements well. A song has to appeal sentimentally, intellectually, physically, viscerally, and dig deep down into your soul and suck you into it. And after that, of course, it'd be a matter of taste." ~ Kim Thayil from Soundgarden
  • Options
    pjfan020pjfan020 Posts: 426
    I'm very confused as to how these lists are assembled. There's really no point in making a list every god damn year. They're usually bullshit anyways.
    "Tonight we're just gonna play you some good old American Rock and Roll." tom petty-7-15-05
  • Options
    WTF? Metallica better than Pearl Jam. No fucking way.

As much as you won't like to admit it, Metallica is a much more popular band with far reaching influence in metal and rock around the world. I'm actually surprised they weren't higher than 11.
    I caught a flash of flash of your smile through the fog of a dream, I'll have a hell of a time I clearly see, I can't be by your side, see you when I sleep.
    - Jerry Cantrell "Gone"
  • Options
    mrwalkerb wrote:
    yeah I'd say so. not sure about teh Doors being so high but for all you people who argue about Nirvana only being regarded as good as they are is becasue of Kurt's suicide is fucking laughable. Unless you were at teh off ramp we all know about 2% of the people here (myself included) would never had heard of PJ without Nirvana so step off and deal with it.

By that logic, MotherLoveBone, Soundgarden, and Mudhoney should be #1, 2, 3 ahead of Nivana. All these bands were getting press way before Nirvana was even a band. These bands put Seattle music on the MAP. If it weren't for them, Nirvana would be another local band that couldn't make it, broken up by now, and Kurt would be another starving artist addicted to herroine, but he would be alive, maybe...

PS. It should be illegal to include any band with 3 records to their credit in any "greatest Bands" list...
    www.myspace.com/sharkie002
  • Options
    We All BelieveWe All Believe Scarsdale, NY Posts: 456
    Aerosmith's "Farewell" tour is starting soon, and today I heard a radio commercial for the NY shows that proclaimed Aerosmith "the greatest American rock band of all time"

:| 
    May your days be long, til kingdom come.

Join the fight to prevent suicide at www.afsp.org
  • Options
    GibsonGibson Toronto Posts: 2,540
    Too lazy to look who tops the list, but wouldn't album sales be a good enough measure (regardless of whether we like them or not?)
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024:

• Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,444
    Gibson said:
    Too lazy to look who tops the list, but wouldn't album sales be a good enough measure (regardless of whether we like them or not?)
    Album sales do not equal greatness, IMHO

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,760
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    Gibson said:
    Album sales do not equal greatness, IMHO

So true, Joe.  It depends on the definition:
    "Greatest: of an extent, amount, or intensity considerably above the normal or average." (From Oxford Languages)

Greatest album in terms of extent might include things like Hermann Nitsch's Das 6-Tage-Spiel des Orgien Mysterien Theaters, clocking in at 48 hours and 23 minutes.  Never heard it, never intend to.  Probably has not sold well either.  :lol:

Greatest album in terms of amount (in sales) would probably still be Michael Jackson's Thriller and I've know a lot of people who love that album but it never made my top 10 (or even top 100), but oh well, I'm kind of out there with a lot of music anyway so no surprise there, haha!

Greatest album in terms of intensity might include Dead Kennedys Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables , a great punk album that sold well for hardcore fans, but not to the general public.

So greatest, really, is a vague term when applied to anything in general, which is why I included Your in the "Your 5 Greats American Rock Band of All Time..." thread title.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,125
    Aerosmith's "Farewell" tour is starting soon, and today I heard a radio commercial for the NY shows that proclaimed Aerosmith "the greatest American rock band of all time"

:| 
    I saw Aerosmith live twice and for whatever reason they did not stimulate me in anyway. I took one of my students back in the early 90"s to his first concert. His parents wanted no part in going. My 14 year old student had the time of his life since they were his favorite band.

I'll give my five later and I can guarantee 💯 you they won't be on that list.

✌️
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,125
    Oh let me add I love Aerosmith they're from my home state MA. One my favorites Big 10 inch and the remake Train Kept Rollin'.
    https://youtu.be/98XL03W9CN4

To be one of the greatest of all times has to be a lot more than record sales. For me it has to be how well a band can play their instruments and most importantly how well they can perform live. Are they on time, lighting, SOUND etc. Back the mid 80's I saw ZZ TOP on their Eliminator Tour and they were outstanding.  A couple years ago a friend gave me a ticket to see their 50th anniversary Tour they played 1:15 minutes no encore. I couldn't believe it Cheap Trick played that long and were far more exciting. ZZ's sound was horrible the whole thing sucked, so they won't be on my list for sure.

Playing live today is critical to bands profitability because it doesn't come record sales anymore. 

✌️

*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)