the top 5 Greatest American Rock Bands of All Time:

http://www.moregoatthangoose.com/blog/index.php?id=trent060214

Lipton

Eww!!

Aerosmith is awesome!!!

Nirvana #1!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's ridiculous!!!
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • Options
    i dont know about nirvana as number 1. I wouldnt even put them in the top ten
    state of love and trust
  • Options
    Nirvana wtf is that shit?

Are you sure this list isn't for the most overrated band of all time?
  • Options
    WTF? Metallica better than Pearl Jam. No fucking way.
  • Options
    ah wheres guns n roses, come on they are way better than metallica and half the others.
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    what are you talking about???DUDE!

you cant be serious...
  • Options

seriously. that they're ahead of the doors, ccr, the pixies, rem is just ridiculous. nirvana wouldn't be considered half the band they are right now if kurt had not killed himself. it's kinda sad that he proved his not/neil's lyric right... it truly is better to burn out than fade away. it's the only reason nirvana keeps showing up as number 1 on all these lists.
  • Options
    Black Crowes
    The Boss
    PJ
    Tool
    Soundgarden
    Alice In Chains
    CCR
    Guns and Roses
    Metallica
    Skynyrd
  • Options
    yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    Wow, its totally ridiculous that Nirvana is number 1 over bands that had such a serious influence over them, and all other music today. CCR, Aerosmith (and I don't even like Aerosmith, and I am still positive that they are better) The Doors. I mean, come on, this list is absurd.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,253
    The list has some very laughable inclusions (Sly & The Family STone #4 all time?, Nirvana #1), and one incredibly absurd exclusion: Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band.:

The 30 Greatest American Rock Bands of All Time

30. Earth, Wind and Fire
    29. MC5
    28. Lynyrd Skynrd
    27. The Byrds
    26. Fugazi
    25. The Miracles / Smokey Robinson and the Miracles
    24. Rage Against the Machine
    23. Patti Smith Group
    22. Soundgarden
    21. Creedence Clearwater Revival
    20. KISS
    19. Crosby, Stills, Nash (and Young)
    18. Van Halen
    17. The Stooges / Iggy and the Stooges
    16. Sonic Youth
    15. Blondie
    14. The Red Hot Chili Peppers
    13. Pearl Jam
    12. The Beach Boys
    11. Metallica
    10. The Pixies
    9. R.E.M.
    8. The Grateful Dead
    7. Parliament/Funkadelic
    6. The Velvet Underground
    5. The Doors
    4. Sly and the Family Stone
    3. The Ramones
    2. Aerosmith
    1. Nirvana
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Poncier wrote:
    The list has some very laughable inclusions (Sly & The Family STone #4 all time?, Nirvana #1), and one incredibly absurd exclusion: Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band.:

he might fall under the "solo artist" grouping that kept bob dylan and tom petty off the list.
  • Options
    Yea, but Tom Petty had the Heartbreakers, they should have definitely been on there.
  • Options
    PJ_LukinPJ_Lukin Posts: 2,049
    Any poll that doesn't have Led Zepplin, The Beatles or Black Sabbath in the top 5 is ridiculous. It ain't real man! Even if they ain't American!
    ~!~ Peace ~!~ Love ~!~ Pearl Jam ~!~
  • Options
    yosi wrote:
    Yea, but Tom Petty had the Heartbreakers, they should have definitely been on there.

and bruce had the e street band. but we all knew who was in chrage and writing the music.
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,253
    he might fall under the "solo artist" grouping that kept bob dylan and tom petty off the list.
    If he can include "Iggy and the Stooges" then he's just making rules up to accomodate his own agenda.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    and bruce had the e street band. but we all knew who was in chrage and writing the music.

I think Mike Campbell is the most underrated guitarist. The Heartbreakers have had a profound impact on Petty's records. Listen to his solo stuff and listen to his stuff with the Heartbreakers. Not a difference in genre, but his solo stuff is usually more mellow than the full band barrage.
  • Options
    mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    yeah I'd say so. not sure about teh Doors being so high but for all you people who argue about Nirvana only being regarded as good as they are is becasue of Kurt's suicide is fucking laughable. Unless you were at teh off ramp we all know about 2% of the people here (myself included) would never had heard of PJ without Nirvana so step off and deal with it. oh yeah Aerosmith is cool too. maybe not #2 cool but top ten for american bands I'd say

edit-by the way how come no one talks about teh Doors legacy being becasue Morrison died? look what fuck nut Ray Manzerik(sic) has done since how can that not dimish thier legacy
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • Options
    mrwalkerb wrote:
    yeah I'd say so. not sure about teh Doors being so high but for all you people who argue about Nirvana only being regarded as good as they are is becasue of Kurt's suicide is fucking laughable. Unless you were at teh off ramp we all know about 2% of the people here (myself included) would never had heard of PJ without Nirvana so step off and deal with it. oh yeah Aerosmith is cool too. maybe not #2 cool but top ten for american bands I'd say

edit-by the way how come no one talks about teh Doors legacy being becasue Morrison died? look what fuck nut Ray Manzerik(sic) has done since how can that not dimish thier legacy

Just because we MIGHT not have heard of PJ with out Nirvana, doesn't change anything. There are clearly bands that had a larger influence, and have been larger commercial success, and have written better music then Nirvana has. Even though I don't like Nirvana, I will agree that they should be in the top 15 or 20 American rock bands of all time, they are not close to being number one.
  • Options
    i really like that P-FUNK is at #7.

That's fucking G-R-E-A-T ! ! !

i said
    SHIT
    GODDAMN
    GET OF YOUR MOTHERFUCKING ASS
    AND JAM.

i said
    SHIT
    GODDAMN
    AND JAM.

i said
    SHIT
    GODDAMN
    AND JAM.

i said
    SHIT
    GODDAMN
    AND JAM.

i said
    SHIT
    GODDAMN
    AND JAM.
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Options
    mrwalkerb wrote:

Are you serious? No way Nirvana should be number 1.
  • Options
    yosi wrote:
    Just because we MIGHT not have heard of PJ with out Nirvana, doesn't change anything. There are clearly bands that had a larger influence, and have been larger commercial success, and have written better music then Nirvana has. Even though I don't like Nirvana, I will agree that they should be in the top 15 or 20 American rock bands of all time, they are not close to being number one.

exactly. good band? yes. influential band? definitely. best band ever to come from america? not a chance in hell. id even be ok with them being higher than pj becos i understand the extent to which they influenced things. but they're not the best we've got to offer... i hope.
  • Options
    Nirvana was the second highest American act on SPIN's 50 Greatest bands's list. And that's bands, not strictly rock groups. The Spin list, or this one is about as credible as Vanilla Ice's street cred, but I more less think this list was ok in naming Nirvana #1. It wouldn't matter if freakin KISS was number one, no one list is the right one.
  • Options
    prljam85prljam85 Posts: 227
    yea, I agree nirvana wasnt that good
  • Options
    rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,549
    Nirvana was very good. For three or four years.

You shouldn't judge a band's all-time legacy based on the potential of a few albums and a short career. Look at how many artists sparkle and fade once their new-ness has worn off.

We'll never know whether Nirvana/Kurt could have sustained such a great start.
    Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • Options
    PaulJamPaulJam Posts: 163
    Hmm, would have expected a better looking list than that.

Kinda makes you proud to be British :-)

...although you guys do have Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrix and Stevie Wonder. Still though...
  • Options
    PaulJamPaulJam Posts: 163
    rhinomagic wrote:
    Nirvana was very good. For three or four years.

You shouldn't judge a band's all-time legacy based on the potential of a few albums and a short career. Look at how many artists sparkle and fade once their new-ness has worn off.

We'll never know whether Nirvana/Kurt could have sustained such a great start.

I don't agree. As long as they made enough good music and had a significant enough impact, that's all that matters. I say this considering that my top two would probably be The Velvet Underground and The Doors. They were only around for a short period. Nirvana had three good studio albums, plus Incesticide which has some great music on it. I know MTV Unplugged has no new material but come on, it's a thing of beauty. I'd put Nirvana in the top three after those two bands. They're DEFINITELY better than Aerosmith (even old Aerosmith) in my opinion.