I'm trying to think of a band......

Comments

• LiftedLifted Posts: 1,836
    oppie1 wrote:
    as for my musical likes.. heres a copy and paste of bands i like from my myspace page

BoyHitsCar, In Flames, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, Mudvayne, 36 CrazyFists, Sunna, Helmet, Candiria, Soundgarden, System of a Down, Flyleaf, Deadsy, 4 Non Blondes, Tool, A Perfect Circle, Mother Love Bone, Audioslave, Sevendust, Deftones, Rage Against the Machine, Slipknot, 10 Years, Gravity Kills, Stabbing Westward, Nonpoint, Staind, Sleater Kinney, Pantera, 311, Social Burn, At the Drive-In, Drowning Pool , Evans Blue, Hed PE, Lifer, Breaking Benjamin, Johnny fuckin' Cash, Tears for Fears, V Shape Mind, Lacuna Coil,Filter, Cradle of Filth, 30 Seconds to Mars

yeah well thats what i figured....you're telling people they need to diversify their musical taste, however with the exception of a few it looks like most of the musicians you name are hard rock/metal (the angry kind). anyway you can listen to what you want and i'm not trying to put you down but that is in no way a diverse group of artists you just mentioned, most of them have a similar style like i mentioned before. so why don't you broaden your musical taste before you go telling other people that they need to......and by the way everyone is entitled to their own opinion but i don't know how you can say my morning jackets' music is awful and boring, and thats also not a very good explanation of why they are a shit band. i figured you would think their music is awful seeing as how you did call them a shit band, but that doesn't say why. anyway my morning jacket is the best band around right now, you can think what you want.
  • oppie1oppie1 Posts: 755
    yeah well thats what i figured....you're telling people they need to diversify their musical taste, however with the exception of a few it looks like most of the musicians you name are hard rock/metal (the angry kind). anyway you can listen to what you want and i'm not trying to put you down but that is in no way a diverse group of artists you just mentioned, most of them have a similar style like i mentioned before. so why don't you broaden your musical taste before you go telling other people that they need to......and by the way everyone is entitled to their own opinion but i don't know how you can say my morning jackets' music is awful and boring, and thats also not a very good explanation of why they are a shit band. i figured you would think their music is awful seeing as how you did call them a shit band, but that doesn't say why. anyway my morning jacket is the best band around right now, you can think what you want.

i couldnt sit thru one of their songs when i saw MMJ open for PJ last summer, that even includes ed coming out and doing "it makes no difference" . they are not to my liking, so thats what makes them shitty
    BoyHitsCar Masked Street Team
    www.lovecorealliance.com

Upcoming boyhitscar concerts:
    11/7/07 - Allentown Pa
    11/11/07 - Hartford Ct

www.myspace.com/briankutys
  • tonadaxtonadax Posts: 594
    metallica a shit band? no way man,their previous work was mediocre, but before that they had created one of the most intelligent,creative and unique albums ever: Master of puppets...

and load,black album and ride the lightning are good ones too...
  • larslars Posts: 524
    cory wrote:
    Let me honest with all of you. James Hetfield's voice sends negative ionic charges down my spine causing blood to pour from my eyeballs. Therefore, Metallica sucks too. At least to me they do. Lars is a douche bag too.
    What have I done
    You can´t trust a vegetarian.
  • RicsardRicsard Posts: 1,943
    ajedigecko wrote:
    depeche mode.....french word for wussie.

vintage beavis and butthead.

it was a blasphemy!!!!!!!!!!!!
    DM is one of the very best bands of all time just like The Cure, Nine Inch Nails, R.E.M., U2, Metallica etc. even if you don't like them.
    If you have not been to any Depeche Mode shows then you should make fun of other bands that you KNOW and ergo can criticise!
    And believe me: many many French men and women love and respect Depeche Mode!!!
    Budapest.Budapest.Arnhem.Antwerpen.Vienna.Madrid.Katowice.Nova_rock.Nijmegen.Rotterdam.Berlin.Dublin.Belfast.London.Venice.Prague.Stockholm.Copenhagen.Vienna.Leeds.Milton_keynes.Padova.Prague.Seattle1.Seattle2.Chicago1.Budapest.Cracow.Vienna..>>>LONDON.BERLIN1.BERLIN2
    Eddie: Dublin & London
  • RicsardRicsard Posts: 1,943
    tonadax wrote:
    metallica a shit band? no way man,their previous work was mediocre, but before that they had created one of the most intelligent,creative and unique albums ever: Master of puppets...

and load,black album and ride the lightning are good ones too...

absolutely agreed!!! (you missed ...and justice for all - one of the best heavy records ever)
    calling metallica a shit band...is a blasphemy as well ;)
    Their shows and Live Shit: Binge & Purge DVD are highly recommended to every primitive and/or deaf critic on this board!
    Budapest.Budapest.Arnhem.Antwerpen.Vienna.Madrid.Katowice.Nova_rock.Nijmegen.Rotterdam.Berlin.Dublin.Belfast.London.Venice.Prague.Stockholm.Copenhagen.Vienna.Leeds.Milton_keynes.Padova.Prague.Seattle1.Seattle2.Chicago1.Budapest.Cracow.Vienna..>>>LONDON.BERLIN1.BERLIN2
    Eddie: Dublin & London
  • corycory Posts: 736
    Musically, Metallica has put together some pretty good work. However, James Hetfield, as I said earlier, has a shitty singing voice. And since the voice can't be muted out of the song with the current equipment that I have, Metallica sucks (to me).

But, if you like listening to people snore out of their asshole, Metallica is perfect for you.
    Revive the heart of the heartless...

Why would you start was has no end?
  • pjalive21pjalive21 Posts: 2,818
    Fall Out Boy and all that other emo crybaby sissy music...its like nails on a chalkboard

i would rather listen to Nickelcrap all day long than that crap
  • pjalive21pjalive21 Posts: 2,818
    and to elaborate on people liking bands just cause ed likes them.....i keep hearing people say this on the message board and its getting old. did you ever think that maybe a lot of these bands have a lot of similarities to pearl jam, and since everyone on the message board is a fan of pearl jam, maybe they're gonna like some bands that have influenced their music. it makes sense to me.

people keep saying it (me being one of them) because its true!!!! there is nothing similar to MMJ, Kings of Leon, or any other band Ed's likes to Pearl Jam, or maybe im missing something...its true though whatever Ed says people worship it, you cant ignore that fact...i havent liked one opening band for PJ in years or hell even at all to be honest but peope fall over it and soak it all up and i dont get it...yes i know the response "everyone has different musical taste" yes i know but when these band get so much praise it leaves me scratching my head

just a few:

MMJ-boring, whiny, high pitched music
    Kings of Leon- boring
    Sparta- one of the better ones i guess
    Death Cab for Cutie- are you serious

what happened to the testosterone in the voices???
  • At least Godsmack made one decent song (voodoo ain't bad). Plenty of rip offs of Godsmack (which is rich because they're one of the more blatent Alice rip offs to come along..)
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • pjalive21 wrote:
    people keep saying it (me being one of them) because its true!!!! there is nothing similar to MMJ, Kings of Leon, or any other band Ed's likes to Pearl Jam, or maybe im missing something...its true though whatever Ed says people worship it, you cant ignore that fact...i havent liked one opening band for PJ in years or hell even at all to be honest but peope fall over it and soak it all up and i dont get it...yes i know the response "everyone has different musical taste" yes i know but when these band get so much praise it leaves me scratching my head

just a few:

MMJ-boring, whiny, high pitched music
    Kings of Leon- boring
    Sparta- one of the better ones i guess
    Death Cab for Cutie- are you serious

what happened to the testosterone in the voices???
    WTF are you talking about "Boring" for MMJ and KOL ?

How the hell is a song like "Black Thumbnail" or "California Waiting" boring?
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • LiftedLifted Posts: 1,836
    WTF are you talking about "Boring" for MMJ and KOL ?

How the hell is a song like "Black Thumbnail" or "California Waiting" boring?

yeah agreed. i don't know how people can say mmj and kol are boring. i'm not a huge kol fan but i would have to back them up because they are a pretty good band and a lot better than most of the other shit that is out there. now mmj, boring?....maybe if you don't like music. and to just simply say jim james has a whiny high pitched voice is ridiculous. whether you like his style or not he has more range than any other singer in a rock band out right now. definatly an amazing voice, i think it's better than thom yorkes' as a matter of fact (another great voice). anyway, i personally don't like death cab for cutie and i don't even know what the other band is that was mentioned on the rant about people liking music that ed likes....but anyway i still think it's a stupid statement to make when you don't even know the people that you are talking about. and i hate sleater kinney by the way, its not that i like music cause ed likes them, it's that he happens to appreciate some great bands.
    I think you're all missing the point. Godsmack sucks asshole. There. I've clarified it for you.

• Dick JonesDick Jones Posts: 777
    A singers voice is one of the last things I notice. (unless it is absolute shit, i.e. the mountain goats)

For me, it's all about the music the band can make. I like music that can take you places. I listen to alot of instrumental music, more now than ever. I hardly ever listen to Pearl Jam any more. They are getting, dare I say "predictable" and/or "boring " to me. I still buy and listen to there albums alot when they come out. They are no longer my favorite band. There's too much good music out there to listen to Pearl Jam all day. I will say that No Code, Yield, Vitalogy, Binaural, and S/T still rank up there in my all-time albums list.

Instead I listen to bands like:

Hella, Russian Circles, Ring Cicada, Explosions In The Sky, Piglet, MANS., The Midwestern, Heroic Doses, Don Caballero, Pelican, Ghosts and Vodka.

Lots of instrumental stuff there, lots of good structures and riffs.

And then more popular bands like:

Primus, Neil Young, Kings of Leon, My Morning Jacket, Beck, The Band, The Beatles, Wilco, Local H, QOTSA, Mark Lanegan, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Secret Machines, Sleater-Kinney, Dinosaur Jr., R.E.M., Modest Mouse, Arcade Fire, Umphrey's McGee, Radiohead.

Now I'm not sure why I posted this.
    Are you too good to tango with the poor poor boys?
    Dick Jones wrote:
    A singers voice is one of the last things I notice. (unless it is absolute shit, i.e. the mountain goats)

Primus

Now I'm not sure why I posted this.

Perfect example of a musically gifted band like Primus that has bad vocals. I know Les plays both the bass and takes the mic, but talent wise, he could play lead bass for any band on earth and make them better. When he sings though, I want to throw shit at him.

Since I'm a singer, that's the first thing I notice and base the believability of the band off of. Then again, how do you find somebody that can sing for that dude's style?

Yup, I love his voice, it fits perfectly. It's not a good one, but he makes it work. Bad voices work for some bands, not so much for others.
    Dick Jones wrote:
    Yup, I love his voice, it fits perfectly. It's not a good one, but he makes it work. Bad voices work for some bands, not so much for others.

Jerry was a racecar driver, he drove so goddamn fast.....hahahaha

That song is a trip. Great bass in that song. Vocals are very southern Mississippi to me.

cory wrote:
    Jerry was a racecar driver, he drove so goddamn fast.....hahahaha

That song is a trip. Great bass in that song. Vocals are very southern Mississippi to me.

I always think of Alabama, south for sure. Where is Les from anyone know?

American Life by Primus has some killer bass riffing. Or Sgt. Baker.

You don't like the singer for Kings of Leon or MMJ? I like both of their voices alot too. Different for sure, but very distinctive.
    Dick Jones wrote:
    I always think of Alabama, south for sure. Where is Les from anyone know?

American Life by Primus has some killer bass riffing. Or Sgt. Baker.

You don't like the singer for Kings of Leon or MMJ? I like both of their voices alot too. Different for sure, but very distinctive.

Alabama may be right on.

As far as the other singers, I haven't been moved by either one of them. That's why I listen to songs. To be moved. That's it. Each mood I'm in has a different direction I'm wanting to go. I'll just put this out there for you. Primus is not one of my favorite bands and it has a lot to do with the vocals. You can't hide them.

cory wrote:
    Alabama may be right on.

As far as the other singers, I haven't been moved by either one of them. That's why I listen to songs. To be moved. That's it. Each mood I'm in has a different direction I'm wanting to go. I'll just put this out there for you. Primus is not one of my favorite bands and it has a lot to do with the vocals. You can't hide them.

I can respect that. Who are you favorite bands? Sorry if it's in the thread already.
    Dick Jones wrote:
    I can respect that. Who are you favorite bands? Sorry if it's in the thread already.

PEARL JAM

Tool
    Slipknot
    System of a Down
    Deftones
    Ben Harper
    Candlebox

I'm about to go to bed or I'd give you more.

• pouch15pouch15 Posts: 436
    cory wrote:
    Perfect example of a musically gifted band like Primus that has bad vocals. I know Les plays both the bass and takes the mic, but talent wise, he could play lead bass for any band on earth and make them better. When he sings though, I want to throw shit at him.

Since I'm a singer, that's the first thing I notice and base the believability of the band off of. Then again, how do you find somebody that can sing for that dude's style?

Do you like Mick jagger or Roger Water or even Michael Stipe's voice? I think they sound like shit, but I love those groups.
    cory wrote:
    PEARL JAM
    Tool
    Slipknot
    System of a Down
    Deftones
    Ben Harper
    Candlebox

I'm about to go to bed or I'd give you more.

All decent voices, except Slipknot, I don't know much about them. I don't like that genre of music too much though.
    pouch15 wrote:
    Do you like Mick jagger or Roger Water or even Michael Stipe's voice? I think they sound like shit, but I love those groups.

You'll find that I will generally hate bands that billions of people have adored.......like the Stones. I never got into them. They were before my time. I never used drugs growing up so I didn't expand out like these Jersey, Philly, and NYC fuckers did. That's cool. As it turns out, I have the ability to determine whether music sucks or not with no pre-ordained biased.

Dick Jones wrote:
    All decent voices, except Slipknot, I don't know much about them. I don't like that genre of music too much though.

Corey Taylor has a great metal voice. I'll post the song scissors on here tomorrow. The last 40 seconds are the most intense music ever recorded.

cory wrote:
    You'll find that I will generally hate bands that billions of people have adored.......like the Stones. I never got into them. They were before my time. I never used drugs growing up so I didn't expand out like these Jersey, Philly, and NYC fuckers did. That's cool. As it turns out, I have the ability to determine whether music sucks or not with no pre-ordained biased.

I don't care for:

The Stones
    Pink Floyd
    The Doors

I listen to them a little bit. Early Pink Floyd really moves me though. Animals, Piper, Meddle.

Honestly I won't listen to it. I've heard them and can't stand them. Sorry.
    Dick Jones wrote:
    I don't care for:

The Stones
    Pink Floyd
    The Doors

I listen to them a little bit. Early Pink Floyd really moves me though. Animals, Piper, Meddle.

Honestly I won't listen to it. I've heard them and can't stand them. Sorry.

That's cool. I have trouble listening to stuff that was created a decade brfore I was born. I don't live in the 70's. I live in the now. Most people listening to that shit has a drug problem.

• pouch15pouch15 Posts: 436
    So someone please mention here 4 or 5 rock singers with a great voice please, and what does good voice means?
    pouch15 wrote:
    So someone please mention here 4 or 5 rock singers with a great voice please, and what does good voice means?

That's the thing with me. You can't describe it. If it goes with the music good then it's good.

Bands that could never have another singer:

Primus
    MMJ
    Pearl Jam
    pouch15 wrote:

Good voice has no meaning other than being good to the person hearing it.

Eddie Vedder has a great voice.

All the rest are up for debate.

Okay.....now I'm going to bed. See you people tomorrow.