Options

Arcade Fire are horrible

124»

Comments

• Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I made a mistake.
    I looked up the venue i saw them at and it is actually bigger then i thought oops it holds 4500 and i'm pretty sure it sold out the day of the show.

That is right on par with what Wilco does in this area of the US as well.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    Did they sell out their British venues this year? Brixton Academy for example?
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Options
    Songburst wrote:
    I mean that bands like Pearl Jam, Pink Floyd, Led Zep, etc will always have a contingent of kids and middle-agers who think that their music is among the best ever created. Arcade Fire is music for the moment. It is good music but it will never span generations like great music does. A big reason why they are so popular is because of the credibility that is associated with liking the "indie" sound. Arcade Fire will eventually fade away into obscurity and one day you will wake up and be 30 and start reaching for the timeless albums that span generations and leave the music of the moment on the shelf.

The problem I have with this statement is that all music is "music of the moment" at some point. Did everyone REALLY think that Pearl Jam would stand the test of time back in 1995 (four years after they hit the scene)?

If you have that mentality, then we must be at a standstill with great music because you're basically saying that no one else will span generations with their music. Now while I'm not guaranteeing that Arcade Fire is the band to do that, I see them having as good of a chance as anyone and I would be curious as to who you think has a better chance as far as bands that have come out in the last five years or so.

Unless of course you really believe that all the "timeless" albums have already been made.
  • Options
    SongburstSongburst Posts: 1,195
    The problem I have with this statement is that all music is "music of the moment" at some point. Did everyone REALLY think that Pearl Jam would stand the test of time back in 1995 (four years after they hit the scene)?

If you have that mentality, then we must be at a standstill with great music because you're basically saying that no one else will span generations with their music. Now while I'm not guaranteeing that Arcade Fire is the band to do that, I see them having as good of a chance as anyone and I would be curious as to who you think has a better chance as far as bands that have come out in the last five years or so.

Unless of course you really believe that all the "timeless" albums have already been made.

Not once did I say that all timeless albums have been made. I know for sure though, that Arcade Fire is not timeless. I have not heard a band that has came out in the last 5 years that is anywhere close to being timeless. I would not have said that PJ was a band whose music would stand the test of time until No Code came out (5 years). Even then, I was really young and it took me years to actually appreciate No Code. Maybe Arcade Fire will prove me wrong but I have yet to hear one song of theirs that I haven't forgotten 5 minutes later.
    1/12/1879, 4/8/1156, 2/6/1977, who gives a shit, ...
  • Options
    keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I think we need to wait for mroe albums to come out, but after 5 or so albums it'll be a good barometer.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    electronblueelectronblue WPB Florida Posts: 3,458
    Thats right from there horrible singing, to there bad lyrics. No passion in there songs. So many people talk about how great they are. There horrible. Now i know people are gonna start bashing me for saying this, that is fine have at her. I repeat ARCADE FIRE are trash.

LOL...~
    "Forgive every being,
    the bad feelings 
    it's just me"

• Options
    Thats right from there horrible singing, to there bad lyrics. No passion in there songs. So many people talk about how great they are. There horrible. Now i know people are gonna start bashing me for saying this, that is fine have at her. I repeat ARCADE FIRE are trash.

I love Arcade Fire but I had no problem with this post utihl they said there are no passion in there songs. This is a big clue that this person has no idea what they are talking about.

The number one thing I like about them is the passion in there songs.

Yes the Singing isn't for everyone, maybe you don't like the lyrics but to say they are passionless is asinine.

(Arcade Fire with David Bowie: "Wake Up")

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1-wEBmLht5g
    10/31/2000 (****)
    6/7/2003 (***1/2)
    7/9/2006 (****1/2)
    7/13/2006 (**** )
    4/10/2008 EV Solo (****1/2)
    6/25/2008 MSG II (*****)
    10/1/2009 LA II (****)
    10/6/2009 LA III (***** Cornell!!!)
  • Options
    I kept seeing Arcade Fire listed on the "top albums of 07" thread so I decided to check them out. Didn't sound very good to me,,,, at all. But who knows may be I will get turned on to them later. I'm going to check out the link on th eprevious post.
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • Options
    TheGossmanTheGossman Posts: 1,120
    amazing band that sells out venues in Europe and America, thats more than any mainstream rock band in america can do right now so we should be greatful, Arcade fire are amazing by the way!
    9/4/98, 8/4/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/15/03, 4/16/03, 4/19/03, 4/25/03, 4/26/03, 4/28/03, 4/29/03, 4/30/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/6/04, 9/1/05, 9/2/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 8/5/07, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 6/14/08, 6/16/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08
  • Options
    muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    Songburst wrote:
    I mean that bands like Pearl Jam, Pink Floyd, Led Zep, etc will always have a contingent of kids and middle-agers who think that their music is among the best ever created. Arcade Fire is music for the moment. It is good music but it will never span generations like great music does. A big reason why they are so popular is because of the credibility that is associated with liking the "indie" sound. Arcade Fire will eventually fade away into obscurity and one day you will wake up and be 30 and start reaching for the timeless albums that span generations and leave the music of the moment on the shelf.

I think you've just described people's attitude to Pearl Jam in the early 90s.

And if somebody doesen't like Arcade Fire, posting a Youtube video is not going to suddenly cause a revelation and make them like the band.

I think Arcade Fire are great.