Options

Arcade Fire are horrible

Comments

• Options
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    I only like a few songs on Neon Bible but Funeral was excellent.

Funny... I'd say the exact opposite. But then that's what makes a good band.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Options
    pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Antichrist Television Blues
    Keep The Car Running
    Windowsill
    Intervention

HELLO!!!

As a 16 year old I have no problem in saying that Neon Bible is our DSOTM.

Are you joking? Dark Side Of The Moon is one of the best albums of all time, Neon Bible is far from that.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Are you joking? Dark Side Of The Moon is one of the best albums of all time, Neon Bible is far from that.
    Dark Side Of The Moon isn't even one of Pink Floyd's best albums.

Definitely more important than it is actually good.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    Funny... I'd say the exact opposite. But then that's what makes a good band.
    True :) I can take or leave most of Neon Bible but to me, Funeral is great from start to finish.

But then I prefer Riot Act to Avocado.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Jeremy1012 wrote:

Most will disagree with you
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • Options
    phatuciniphatucini Posts: 399
    I'll have to say that I absolutely dig Arcade Fire! I actually was given their debut as a gift and didn't give it too much attention at first as the first couple of times I listened to it it just seemed to me that they were some kind of a folk band and that the singer had some kind of a David Bowie "timbre" in his voice.

I somewhow thought that there was something more that I didn't get ahold of so I gave it a couple more listens and they kind of grew on me. Well they still weren't really high in my list until I went to Pukkelpop '05 and witnessed them first hand ... Wooooooooaaaaaahhhh they blew me totally away!! They are one of the best Live Acts in the World of Music! They play with so much passion and dedication which just a couple other acts can match (Pearl Jam just too name an example ;-)

I don't say that anyone should listen to them or is missing out on anything 'cause it's all a matter of taste! I'm sure I'm missing out on tons of first class Death Metal Bands and Techno/Electro Acts but they're just not my kind of music so I don't care! If you think that you have too spread hate against a group because you don't like them or "don't get it" do it but at least choose the "real crap" like Nickelback or Alter Bridge!

First Class Indie's not for everyone: Deal With It!
  • Options
    Most will disagree with you
    I care not :) Half of it is just boring and the rest is good if overrated.

It's one of these albums, along with Sgt Pepper's, London Calling and Zeppelin IV that is treated like some sort of sacred cow when, really, it's just not that great. All of these albums have their moments (the solo in Time on DSOTM comes to mind, and London Calling would have made a brilliant single album) but they are by no means the albums that we should hold up as the best that popular music has to offer.
  • Options
    mobbermobber Posts: 14
    i DL neon bible on oink, & after a week i'd uploaded it over 25 GB! those indie kids went crazy for it.

i don't care for them either...
    "I wish I was a radio song, the one that you turn up..."
  • Options
    To say that they are "trash" makes you sound like a 6-year old. It's cool if you don't like them, as there are plenty of bands I'm supposed to like but don't. However I do acknowledge that they are talented and do what they do well, even though I might not be able to stand it.

It is funny that it used to be cool to say you like them but now it's almost as if it's more "hip" to say you don't.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,444
    I know there was a lot of hype over Arcade Fire, but they are one of the most inspiring live bands I have ever seen. They have a great communal spirit onstage.

I have been to Coachella for 7 consecutive years, and last year, they put on one of the most crowd-unifying performances I have ever seen there.
  • Options
    phatucini wrote:
    I'll have to say that I absolutely dig Arcade Fire! I actually was given their debut as a gift and didn't give it too much attention at first as the first couple of times I listened to it it just seemed to me that they were some kind of a folk band and that the singer had some kind of a David Bowie "timbre" in his voice.

I somewhow thought that there was something more that I didn't get ahold of so I gave it a couple more listens and they kind of grew on me. Well they still weren't really high in my list until I went to Pukkelpop '05 and witnessed them first hand ... Wooooooooaaaaaahhhh they blew me totally away!! They are one of the best Live Acts in the World of Music! They play with so much passion and dedication which just a couple other acts can match (Pearl Jam just too name an example ;-)

I don't say that anyone should listen to them or is missing out on anything 'cause it's all a matter of taste! I'm sure I'm missing out on tons of first class Death Metal Bands and Techno/Electro Acts but they're just not my kind of music so I don't care! If you think that you have too spread hate against a group because you don't like them or "don't get it" do it but at least choose the "real crap" like Nickelback or Alter Bridge!

First Class Indie's not for everyone: Deal With It!

And just to prove your point, I love Alter Bridge! Arcade Fire are great too.
  • Options

I keep wanting to say 'says the Oasis fan', but I won't.....

Still, no. I agree with Drop the Leash. I don't care about Pink Floyd but Neon Bible is up there with Ten as my favourite album of all time. So sue me.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

• Options
    keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I think Neon Bible will be up there eventually, again, maybe I'm wrong. But in 20 years, who know? Arcade Fire isn't my favourite band, but that album is something special.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    True :) I can take or leave most of Neon Bible but to me, Funeral is great from start to finish.

But then I prefer Riot Act to Avocado.

Well at least we can agree on your second point. :)

• Options
    Well at least we can agree on your second point. :)
    How about this then, to sort the men from the boys :D
    I think the best song on it is ARC.
  • Options
    IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    I have both of their albums and have seen them live. They are okay. They don't suck and they aren't the greatest band on earth.

But the whole indie aesthetic that they go for, as well as their fans, is annoying as fuck. The backing vocals sound like the midgets from wizard of oz, which is quite annoying. I wish the female singer would shutup once in a while. And they should stop dressing like they are from the mid 1400's. This whole indie rock thing is the modern day bubonic plague.
  • Options
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    How about this then, to sort the men from the boys :D
    I think the best song on it is ARC.

Oh, come on.... that is like the RICHEST thing I've ever heard... I'm only a boy, not a man, because I don't think ARC isn't the best song on Riot Act? :rolleyes: It doesn't make you a man, it makes you pretentious. :D

My favourite Riot Act song is almost as surprising, judging by comments on the board: Thumbing My Way.

But then we're all pretentious hipsters if we're into Arcade Fire, hey :rolleyes:

• Options
    stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    Neon Bible should end after the first two songs, the rest is pretty much crap. I cant believe so many people, including critics could mistake two quality songs for a great record. The vocals are bad, poor voice and they seem very uninspired.

What do you mean, 'i can believe so many people could mistake two quality songs for a great record.' Its just personal opinion what songs are good. It cant be that hard for you to believe that some people hold different opinions to you surely? I happen to like Neon Bible a lot, not as much as Funeral but i still think its a very strong second album. They are definitely one of my favourite bands of the last 10 years or so.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • Options
    stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    I tried to get into them cause I like some other similar stuff but I just constantly found them really boring to listen to.Then saw them at a festival and that just galvanised my opinion that they are probably an aquired taste.
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • Options
    I thought I wa the only one :) thank you good sir.

I think it to...
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    i've seen them live... and they were awesome.. so is my taste in music... ergo this thread should be buried in limestone and i should be declared saviour of the world.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,077
    Jeremy1012 wrote:

As a ginormous Floyd fan, I couldn't disagree with this statement more. "Just because it's popular don't mean it ain't good."
  • Options
    your off your rocker.

The Arcade fire are the most important band in music right now...period.

Their live shows blow PJ's out of the water. There was no question to me as to who is a better live band. And I think that shows alot. Not too many bands can match PJ's live intensity. Arcade Fire is one of those bands/

Funeral is a bonafide classic. Its essential for anyone who listens to music. making an album of sad and angry music reacting to the deaths of family members, AF created something I havent even heard before. A stew of accordians, guitars, hurdy gurdys and violins, and lyrics that while they speak of sad things "alice died in the night" "something filled up, my heart. with nothing, someone told me not to cry", the music makes the listener happy and want to dance instead of wanting to cry and wallow in sadness. I have a HUGE collection of political and protest music. I have never heard of a band besides Polyphonic Spree that make political and socially aware songs, yet the songs dont make one sad and upset.

Their live shows are religious converstions. How many other bands can you think of, that have assigned seating, let the crowd come forward and moveas close as they like. I was 30 rows back and made it to the 5th row in the show in Portland. That shouldnt have happened.

As far as chemistry between band and audience, I have never seen anything like AF shows. Their was energy bouncing off the walls. The balcony seemed like it was gonna fall on us. Everyone was screaming the "ahhh ahhh ahhh ahhh ahh's" of Wake Up together. My throat was hoarse the next day.

Additionally they capture the zeitgeist. One LA Weekly reviewer put it this way

"That is exactly why listening to Neon Bible will make 30-something yindies feel the surge of youth, and actual young people the gush of self-empowerment. It may not work for everybody, but if you are in your teens or 20s — or even close — you’ll feel it: The Arcade Fire aren’t speaking to us; they are us"

another reviewer compared the band and its message to the feeling that Hunter S Thompson described in Fear and Loathing, and talked about how things had changed since the 1990's when politics and music meant raging against the machine and changing the system

"That’s how I felt at this year’s Coachella. I saw where the wave broke. Coachella this year was filled with heroes of the ’90s. I felt like Dorothy awakening back at the farm, “and you were there, Sonic Youth, and you were there, Lemonheads, Rage Against the Machine. Oh! And you were there, Red Hot Chili Peppers.” But this time I felt we were watching with new eyes, and, simply, those bands didn’t speak to me anymore. I was nostalgic for them, but they didn’t move me, their messages seemed outdated and irrelevant. Nothing felt more anachronistic than a re-formed Rage closing the show. Anger wasn’t enough.
    insead, it was the look-inside-yourself call to arms I heard at Arcade Fire that spoke to me. Like a good preacher, Butler got our attention first, then asked us to act. “Sleeping is giving in, no matter what the time is. Sleeping is giving in, so lift those heavy eyelids” (“Rebellion”).

I left the show with my eyes open, and decided to move outside my musical comfort zone, heading to raver dance tents and hip-hop rap-offs, to see if the feeling would transcend. It did, for rest of the festival. I felt that oneness. I felt a wave rebuilding. The machine is so broken now, it’s almost redundant to rage against it. What’s left is to fight the power in our own quieter lives."

As far as if anyone was to ask "hey who's your favorite band" there is no question, I would answer "Arcade Fire"

They made music interesting. I mean what other band sounds like them? What band sounds like Funeral? Using 12 band members on stage, who else does that?

Most important band live right now. Most important records of the moment. Most important band in the music scene today. Most unique band in music.

They are THAT band.
  • Options
    Ehhhhhhhhh....

I like a couple of tracks form their first album, but wasn't big on Neon Bible. I don't think they are trash, but don't think they are one of the best bands around either.
  • Options
    keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    your off your rocker.

The Arcade fire are the most important band in music right now...period.

Their live shows blow PJ's out of the water. There was no question to me as to who is a better live band. And I think that shows alot. Not too many bands can match PJ's live intensity. Arcade Fire is one of those bands/

Funeral is a bonafide classic. Its essential for anyone who listens to music. making an album of sad and angry music reacting to the deaths of family members, AF created something I havent even heard before. A stew of accordians, guitars, hurdy gurdys and violins, and lyrics that while they speak of sad things "alice died in the night" "something filled up, my heart. with nothing, someone told me not to cry", the music makes the listener happy and want to dance instead of wanting to cry and wallow in sadness. I have a HUGE collection of political and protest music. I have never heard of a band besides Polyphonic Spree that make political and socially aware songs, yet the songs dont make one sad and upset.

Their live shows are religious converstions. How many other bands can you think of, that have assigned seating, let the crowd come forward and moveas close as they like. I was 30 rows back and made it to the 5th row in the show in Portland. That shouldnt have happened.

As far as chemistry between band and audience, I have never seen anything like AF shows. Their was energy bouncing off the walls. The balcony seemed like it was gonna fall on us. Everyone was screaming the "ahhh ahhh ahhh ahhh ahh's" of Wake Up together. My throat was hoarse the next day.

Additionally they capture the zeitgeist. One LA Weekly reviewer put it this way

"That is exactly why listening to Neon Bible will make 30-something yindies feel the surge of youth, and actual young people the gush of self-empowerment. It may not work for everybody, but if you are in your teens or 20s — or even close — you’ll feel it: The Arcade Fire aren’t speaking to us; they are us"

another reviewer compared the band and its message to the feeling that Hunter S Thompson described in Fear and Loathing, and talked about how things had changed since the 1990's when politics and music meant raging against the machine and changing the system

"That’s how I felt at this year’s Coachella. I saw where the wave broke. Coachella this year was filled with heroes of the ’90s. I felt like Dorothy awakening back at the farm, “and you were there, Sonic Youth, and you were there, Lemonheads, Rage Against the Machine. Oh! And you were there, Red Hot Chili Peppers.” But this time I felt we were watching with new eyes, and, simply, those bands didn’t speak to me anymore. I was nostalgic for them, but they didn’t move me, their messages seemed outdated and irrelevant. Nothing felt more anachronistic than a re-formed Rage closing the show. Anger wasn’t enough.
    insead, it was the look-inside-yourself call to arms I heard at Arcade Fire that spoke to me. Like a good preacher, Butler got our attention first, then asked us to act. “Sleeping is giving in, no matter what the time is. Sleeping is giving in, so lift those heavy eyelids” (“Rebellion”).

I left the show with my eyes open, and decided to move outside my musical comfort zone, heading to raver dance tents and hip-hop rap-offs, to see if the feeling would transcend. It did, for rest of the festival. I felt that oneness. I felt a wave rebuilding. The machine is so broken now, it’s almost redundant to rage against it. What’s left is to fight the power in our own quieter lives."

As far as if anyone was to ask "hey who's your favorite band" there is no question, I would answer "Arcade Fire"

They made music interesting. I mean what other band sounds like them? What band sounds like Funeral? Using 12 band members on stage, who else does that?

Most important band live right now. Most important records of the moment. Most important band in the music scene today. Most unique band in music.

They are THAT band.
    +1.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    TheGossmanTheGossman Posts: 1,120
    there are alot of bands I can't get into but respect, Arcade Fire should be a band everyone respects because they are amazing musicians, and yes I am a fan, just because you don't like something doesn't mean its trash, I didn't like them the first 3 times I heard Neon Bible, but kept listening and now its easily the best album I was turned onto last year, all you had to say was that they aren't your cup of tea, saying they suck and that they are trash just causes conflict, and to be honest with you I don't give a shit if you like them or not
    9/4/98, 8/4/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/15/03, 4/16/03, 4/19/03, 4/25/03, 4/26/03, 4/28/03, 4/29/03, 4/30/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/6/04, 9/1/05, 9/2/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 8/5/07, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 6/14/08, 6/16/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08
  • Options
    Thats right from there horrible singing, to there bad lyrics. No passion in there songs. So many people talk about how great they are. There horrible. Now i know people are gonna start bashing me for saying this, that is fine have at her. I repeat ARCADE FIRE are trash.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. If you watch this and are not moved then you are probably dead inside anyway. The arcade fire have put passion back into music and they are phenominal in concert.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jq6M4PWKvq4
    "Music is the glue that holds everything together. Without it, everything would fall apart." --Eddie (From the movie EMPIRE RECORDS)
  • Options
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion. If you watch this and are not moved then you are probably dead inside anyway. The arcade fire have put passion back into music and they are phenominal in concert.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jq6M4PWKvq4

I've seen some good youtube vids in my time, but that's the first one I'm going to call 'important'....

• Options
    SongburstSongburst Posts: 1,195
    Arcade Fire are ok but their sound will not stand the test of time.

The statement that the Arcade Fire are a better live band than Pearl Jam is simply laughable.
    1/12/1879, 4/8/1156, 2/6/1977, who gives a shit, ...
  • Options
    Thats right from there horrible singing, to there bad lyrics. No passion in there songs. So many people talk about how great they are. There horrible. Now i know people are gonna start bashing me for saying this, that is fine have at her. I repeat ARCADE FIRE are trash.

That's

From

their

their

[fragment]

[fragment]

They're

I

<,>

going to

That

Have