for those who say RHCP aren't good live

2»

Comments

• dq4lifedq4life Posts: 154
    if u want proof rhcp are good live...watch this....

http://youtube.com/watch?v=abrKM1Z_te8&mode=related&search=

dont let that original video fool u....this ones much better
    wow. that's so beautiful. btw, i love your user name. that's a damn good song. have they ever busted out that live? because they definitely should.
  • hendrix78 wrote:
    To each their own, but I don't see how starting and finishing every show with a completely improvised jam is "packaged." To me, that's the opposite of packaged.
    The chili peppers barely ever play with any kind of variation to the setlist, the play almost entirely new stuff... which I can understand, but it's the same damn handful of new songs, they only really play 2 old songs - under the bridge and give it away - and they play them every goddamn night,.. etc etc. It's an incredibly packaged show.

The performance is good though, and Frusciante's killer.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,968
    hendrix78 wrote:
    If you watch this and try to tell me the Chili peppers aren't one of the best live bands playing today, you have lost all musical credibility in my opinion.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=xKifo6xmqMU

Frusciante is not from this planet. Amazing.
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    I find it quite significant that the example you pick to show they don't suck doesn't even have Anthony in it.. thus making your example completely unrepresentative and therefore pointless (and frankly, I find long jams like that boring..even if PJ does it they're testing my limits).

Saw them twice: Melbourne in 95 (or 96, whatever), HUGELY dissapointed (having watched the Woodstock 94 broadcast where I thought they really kicked ass).
    London last year, thought they were ok (admitedly not helped by being in the warehouse that is Earl's Court) but then I went with very low expectations..

might see them again..but only if i can get a dirt cheap ticket like last year.. not worth even $40.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    No doubt Frusciante is amazing, when I saw them Anthony was good, but he is so hit or miss.

Anthony isn't anywhere close talent wise to the rest of the band.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • the peppers have rocked every time i've seen them live. although, i've heard that lately, their shows have sucked. i haven't seen them in years though...not a fan. i only see them if they happen to be playing a show i'm already going to.(woodstock 99, RATM @ jones beach, etc)

it's their albums that suck.

go ahead, bash me. ;)

peace.
    "Find myself singing the same songs every day....
    ones that make me feel good when things behind the smile ain't ok...." -Hoon
  • ...barely ever play with any kind of variation to the setlist, the play almost entirely new stuff... ...the same damn handful of new songs, they only really play 2 old songs......and they play them every goddamn night,.. etc etc. It's an incredibly packaged show.

wait a minute. you must be talking about Tool.
    :D
    "Find myself singing the same songs every day....
    ones that make me feel good when things behind the smile ain't ok...." -Hoon
  • Dustin51Dustin51 Posts: 222
    No doubt Frusciante is amazing, when I saw them Anthony was good, but he is so hit or miss.

Anthony isn't anywhere close talent wise to the rest of the band.

I agree. Anthony is a great writer. His lyrics are amazing. His look and his uniqueness makes him a great front man. However his actual singing ability is subpar in my opinion. However they would not be the same band without him. He is RHCP.

On a side note I dont know if any band in history has had a more talented Bass and Guitar combo. John and Flea are INCREDIBLE maybe the best ever!
    Be excellent to each other
  • hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    Pegasus wrote:
    I find it quite significant that the example you pick to show they don't suck doesn't even have Anthony in it.. thus making your example completely unrepresentative and therefore pointless (and frankly, I find long jams like that boring..even if PJ does it they're testing my limits).

That's because I really don't care that much about the vocals in any band. For me, it's all about the music, and I love long jams (if the musicians are good and the jams go somewhere). If I wanted to hear tight song arrangements that adhere to the album versions, I would just listen to the album. I'm extremely disappointed when I see a band live and they don't improvise at all, or do anything differently from the albums. The example I posted is the type of thing I go to concerts for.

My example is not pointless just because it does not have Anthony in it. It is 100% representative of the kind of playing you will hear at any RHCP show. There are often solos and jam sections like this inserted into songs.

That's also one of the reasons I'm never disappointed when they don't play Under the Bridge live. It's a great song, but they don't change it up at all live.
  • hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    Dustin51 wrote:
    I agree. Anthony is a great writer. His lyrics are amazing. His look and his uniqueness makes him a great front man. However his actual singing ability is subpar in my opinion. However they would not be the same band without him. He is RHCP.

On a side note I dont know if any band in history has had a more talented Bass and Guitar combo. John and Flea are INCREDIBLE maybe the best ever!

I pretty much agree with this guy, although I would say Anthony's lyrics aren't always amazing. They are always at least fun, though. I do think he brings an energy level to the performance that not many frontmen can match.

John, Flea, and Chad are simply one of the best musical combinations in history in my opinion. I would rank them right up there with Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones, and John Bonham. Just to be clear, I'm not comparing them to those players on an individual level, but as to how they play together as a group.
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    That was great! I loved the little improv jam to start of californication. I think that's what I enjoyed so much about their show, was just witnessing John Fruscante and Flea jamming together, the musical chemistry flows together really well, and they are both unique players. They are perfect in the chili peppers. (I don't think their playing style would fit well if they were in pearl jam though). That whole slane castle show is pretty damn great. I've enjoyed the you tube videos from it, I may have to go pick that show up.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12