for those who say RHCP aren't good live

hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
edited May 2007 in Other Music
If you watch this and try to tell me the Chili peppers aren't one of the best live bands playing today, you have lost all musical credibility in my opinion.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=xKifo6xmqMU
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• chili peppers are awesome live can't wait to see them in glasgow august 23rd.
  • TwatayTwatay Posts: 64
    LOL sorry to burst your bubble dude, but that was very unimpressive.
  • CServantCServant Posts: 1,182
    They're good live, just a very "packaged show."
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Mark Twain
  • hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    What was umimpressive about it? the Sly meets Hendrix funk at the beginning or the crazy soloing at the end? If that was unimpressive, then what do you consider impressive?
    CServant wrote:
    They're good live, just a very "packaged show."

To each their own, but I don't see how starting and finishing every show with a completely improvised jam is "packaged." To me, that's the opposite of packaged.
  • I saw RHCP 3 times.

First time, I wasn't impressed. Figured it was just a one off show that they werent "on" for.

Second time, I wasn't impressed. I figured that 1- the show was in Continental Arena with the worst acoustics of any arena around, and 2- the seats werent the greatest, so that probably affected it.

Third time, I wasn't impressed. I had great seats, and the sound was great. But I really came to the conclusion that they just suck live.

Which sucks, because John is one of the best guitarists music has ever seen.

But.. a short show, 3rd time seeing basically the same exact setlist (even though the shows were years & months apart), absolutely no connection with the crowd, and Anthony Keidis off key shitty vocals just isn't my cup of tea.

Plus, the crowd was nothing but people who were there just because it was the "place to be" for the night. Girls I were sitting next to didn't even know the Slane Castle DVD, nor One Hot Minute even existed. I guess thats what your crowd ends up looking like though, when all you try to do is mass appeal to top 40 radio.

GOD I LOVE PEARL JAM.
    2004 - 10/1, 10/11
    2005 - 9/15, 9/16, 9/30, 10/1, 10/3
    2006 - 5/5, 5/12, 5/13, 5/27, 5/28, 5/30, 6/1, 6/3, 6/23, 7/22, 7/23, 12/2
    2007 - 6/27, 8/3
    2008 - 6/14, 6/19, 6/20, 6/22, 6/24, 6/25, 6/27, 6/28, 6/30, 7/1
  • TwatayTwatay Posts: 64
    hendrix78 wrote:
    What was umimpressive about it? the Sly meets Hendrix funk at the beginning or the crazy soloing at the end? If that was unimpressive, then what do you consider impressive?

it was a weak jam IMO. they did the "funk" you speak of way better over a decade ago, and the "crazy" soloing made me yawn.

what do i consider impressive? well i just watched the first 3 songs RATM played at coachella...check it out yourself.
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    seen chilis four times, two were opening for pj so they were short sets, but still okay. just okay. once more full concert in vancouver, just okay, fourth time was second row in vancouver again and thought it was great...they played some good shit that night....but i do believe it is a very packaged show....

when you start with a jam and end with a jam EVERY show, isnt that now part of the package??

and yes, i agree

GOD I LOVE PEARL JAM.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I always hear people talking shit about the RHCP shows. I saw them for the first time this past year and I dug it.

Did it blow me away? No, but It was good. I would put them in the middle of the pack not extroidinary not horrible. Maybe a little closer to the top then the middle to me.

They played I could've Lied that was awesome in itself.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • I thought they were great live. I'm not a big fan of them but they really did impress me. Their jams kinda suck though. John's very sloppy and Flea can't work outside of octaves and fifths, and Chad? He's solid enough, just very very average.
  • western pearlwestern pearl Posts: 632
    hendrix78 wrote:
    If you watch this and try to tell me the Chili peppers aren't one of the best live bands playing today, you have lost all musical credibility in my opinion.

Well.........Frusciante was good........as for RHCP being one of the best live bands....no.
    "Everyone is a patriot in some form or another.... i prefer the intelligent ones."

"She fell funny"

"Klaus Daimler, 40, engineer, calm, collected, German"
  • Brain of J.LoBrain of J.Lo Posts: 3,259
    hendrix78 wrote:
    you have lost all musical credibility in my opinion.

lol, well...who cares about your opinion? you obviously have bad taste. :D

just joking around with you...but seriously...rhcp have lost their mojo. :D
    So what do you guys look for in a live band? Personally, I look for intensity in the performance and strong improvisation. No one meets those two qualifications better than the Chili peppers for me right now. Anthony's vocals are hit or miss, but the way John, Flea, and Chad play together more than make up for it for me. The three of them play like a well oiled machine, and they improvise together as if they have a telepathic link. As for the comments on John being sloppy live, he isn't any sloppier than Hendrix and Page were in thier day. I'll take John's "sloppy" soloing over the cleaner but less soulful playing of a Vai or Satriani type any day.
    lol, well...who cares about your opinion? you obviously have bad taste. :D

just joking around with you...but seriously...rhcp have lost their mojo. :D

I'd say you're the one with bad taste ;)

I couldn;t disagree more that they've lost their mojo. I'd say they have more mojo now than they've had at any previous point in their career.
    I thought they were great live. I'm not a big fan of them but they really did impress me. Their jams kinda suck though. John's very sloppy and Flea can't work outside of octaves and fifths, and Chad? He's solid enough, just very very average.

If you think Flea can't work outside of octaves and fifths you must have not seen one of thier jams into Californication. Those tend to have very melodic runs that come off almost like jazz.
  • hendrix78 wrote:
    If you think Flea can't work outside of octaves and fifths you must have not seen one of thier jams into Californication. Those tend to have very melodic runs that come off almost like jazz.
    Yep I've seen them. That band feels very soulless to me right now. And Satch puts way more passion into note selection that Frusciante does. ;) But hey, this is all opinion right? I still maintain that they are a great live band, I really enjoyed seeing them at Earl's Court, I just think they're hideously overrated.
  • Dick JonesDick Jones Posts: 777
    Yeah, pretty un-impressive stuff. They've lost it. A while ago actually.
    Are you too good to tango with the poor poor boys?
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,249
    i've seen them about 4 times maybe more but to me the best places to see them would have to be small venues, saw them here in NY AT ROSELAND 91 and it was fantastic anyplace with a bar works nice for RHCP ......
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    Yep I've seen them. That band feels very soulless to me right now. And Satch puts way more passion into note selection that Frusciante does. ;) But hey, this is all opinion right? I still maintain that they are a great live band, I really enjoyed seeing them at Earl's Court, I just think they're hideously overrated.

It is all opinion; I just like discussing it. I really don't see how anyone could find them soulless, though. It seemed pretty obvious to me that Fru was putting everything he had into that clip I posted.
  • Seen them four times and won't be seeing them again. Consistently disappointing.
  • VINNY GOOMBAVINNY GOOMBA Posts: 1,816
    Although that was cool, I don't know that it qualifies them to be among the best live bands out there.

The intensity was a 9/10, especially at the end.

The quality of the improv though-- eh. 3 Guys that have playing together as long as they have, it's not that awesome... But, I'm sure they've done better too.

You like Mule? Those guys can jam.
  • hailhail82hailhail82 Posts: 330
    They suck live cause Keidis can't sing. At all.
    Using the word "methinks" in your message board posts doesn't make you look smart.
  • melodyman22melodyman22 Posts: 326
    Chili peppers kick ass bottom line.
  • lephtylephty Posts: 770
    i've seen them 4 or 5 times i forget. i loved each one! i think what people do is try to hold them up to the PJ pedestal of live music which is really unfair to do to any band.

RHCP are great, they do have a somewhat packaged show with not changing songs up from day to day, but they jam out when needed. Anthony never really had a singing voice. if you notice, almost all the RHCP songs are just kinda talked loudly and fast.

Flea and John are living legends of the music world IMO.

btw.. i caught Chad Smith's drumstick one show:) "Chad's Funkblaster" inscribed on it. pretty sweet~
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    hendrix78 wrote:
    I'd say you're the one with bad taste ;)

I couldn;t disagree more that they've lost their mojo. I'd say they have more mojo now than they've had at any previous point in their career.

They've still got mojo, but jsut not as good as one. Chili Peppers kcik ass because they are who they are, but IMO they've lost the touch they had years and years ago...but a lot of bands make the tragic mistake of continuing when they should just throw in the towel...Look at the Stones for instance, and U2...

but U2 just sucks in general...if they didn't have such an ass-clown for a front man, maybe they'd be worth their internation stardom...greatly overrated.

ANYWAYS, that's just my opinion, as far as RHCP, I saw them last August and I enjoyed the show, I wasn't blown away...but then again, i was too drunk to remember more than 5 songs they played ;)
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • blondieblue227blondieblue227 Posts: 4,509
    well they sucked when i saw them and that's what counts. ;)
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• culot4culot4 Posts: 775
    Twatay wrote:
    LOL sorry to burst your bubble dude, but that was very unimpressive.

What the fuck are you talking about. Does he have to do a one arm handstand and play upside down or something.

Thanks for posting that. Keidis is either hit or miss but Frusciante and Flea rarely disappoint.
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
    Although that was cool, I don't know that it qualifies them to be among the best live bands out there.

The intensity was a 9/10, especially at the end.

The quality of the improv though-- eh. 3 Guys that have playing together as long as they have, it's not that awesome... But, I'm sure they've done better too.

You like Mule? Those guys can jam.

Are you talking about Govt Mule? If so, yeah, I dig 'em. Warren Haynes is a bad ass.
  • if u want proof rhcp are good live...watch this....

http://youtube.com/watch?v=abrKM1Z_te8&mode=related&search=

dont let that original video fool u....this ones much better
    ...when a truant finds home....
  • VINNY GOOMBAVINNY GOOMBA Posts: 1,816
    hendrix78 wrote:
    Are you talking about Govt Mule? If so, yeah, I dig 'em. Warren Haynes is a bad ass.

Yeah man, Gov't Mule. What a bunch of champions.