which love hurts is better?

suns rivalsuns rival Posts: 15,926
edited March 2008 in Other Music
incubus': http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxPcmi1U25g

nazareth's: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrSs7gfLDjc

:D incubus of course, by a billion light years.
scratching my butt...
kinakamot ang aking puwit...
me rascando pompis...
krap mijn reet...
boku no ketsuoana o kizu...
bahrosh teezy...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• suns rivalsuns rival Posts: 15,926
    double thread.

demit! making poll thread is so confusing....
    scratching my butt...
    kinakamot ang aking puwit...
    me rascando pompis...
    krap mijn reet...
    boku no ketsuoana o kizu...
    bahrosh teezy...
  • LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    No way! Nazareth's song is LEGENDARY! :p
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • prljmngrlprljmngrl Posts: 320
    They are two totally different songs. How can you choose between that?
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    i'll stand by the original version.......even though there have been several brilliant covers.
  • jezebeloriajezebeloria Posts: 600
    LongRd. wrote:
    No way! Nazareth's song is LEGENDARY! :p

Thank you...but then again I am old school so of course I love the original. Brings back so many memories.
    PJ FANS ROCK!!!

Finally got that "One for the Thumb"!!! Got the "Six Pack". Now we're on a "Stairway to Seven"

Some words when spoken...can't be taken back.

"Seeing a brick wall straight ahead and stepping on the gas." Eddie...Pittsburgh 6/23/06
  • knittedknitted Posts: 244
    uh...gram parsons'?
    http://www.sublime-retro.net

when my ears ring, my heart beats
  • bovy_jbovy_j Posts: 1,008
    Definitely Nazareth's.
  • AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,236
    Do Incubus ever come up with their own song titles or do they just use established ones?
  • AndySlash wrote:
    Do Incubus ever come up with their own song titles or do they just use established ones?

Do Pearl Jam always use their own song titles or do they sometimes use established ones?
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • suns rival wrote:
    incubus': http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxPcmi1U25g

nazareth's: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrSs7gfLDjc

:D incubus of course, by a billion light years.

well, since Incubus is no good...this is a no-brainer...nazareth!
    I'll dig a tunnel
    from my window to yours
  • suns22suns22 Posts: 94
    I love Incubus, but Love Hurts is one of my least favorite from them.

The Nazareth version is a classic.
    San Antonio '03
    Houston '03
    Dallas '03
    Hopefully more to come in TX.......some day.
    Bonnaroo '08
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    Nazereth's song is way better, by far.
    Do Pearl Jam always use their own song titles or do they sometimes use established ones?

which PJ song titles was someone else's song titles?
  • MLC2006 wrote:
    which PJ song titles was someone else's song titles?

I've seen several other artists pop up with songs called 'Once', 'Alive', 'Breath' etc. etc. I could go on. These are pretty generic titles.

Regardless, song titles are stolen all the time. Do you think every song by your favourite bands has an original title?
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

• jb13lettersjb13letters Posts: 220
    knitted wrote:
    uh...gram parsons'?

Yup!
    Statistically speaking, you're more likely to be pitied by Mr. T than you are to have feet.
  • AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,236

When you hear the song name "Wish You Were Here", who do most people think of? Not Incubus.

When you hear the song name "Drive", who would most people think of? Not Incubus.

When you hear the song name "Love Hurts", who would most people think of? Not Incubus.

When you hear the song name "Alive", who would most people think of? Pearl Jam.

When you hear the song name "Once", who would most people think of? Pearl Jam.

When you hear the song name "Breath", who would most people think of? Pearl Jam.

In fact, I can't think of a single Pearl Jam song title that has been made famous by another band. There may be, but I'm not remembering it.

The point was they seemingly have a propensity to use well-established song titles made famous by other bands. I'm sure these songs make up a small minority of their actual output, but it seems to make up more of their catalog than any other artist I can think of. There's absolutely nothing wrong with this. I just noticed a pattern and commented on it.
    I've seen several other artists pop up with songs called 'Once', 'Alive', 'Breath' etc. etc. I could go on. These are pretty generic titles.

Regardless, song titles are stolen all the time. Do you think every song by your favourite bands has an original title?

who are the artists who did those songs? just from a brief search, I could not find any other song called "Breath" or "Once". and while there have been a few songs called "Alive", the most well known one was from that rap/rock band years after PJ's version.

but yeah, those are one word titles and pretty generic. but when one hears something like "Wish You Were Here" or "Love Hurts", come on, that's not just something the Incubus singer came up with independently. hell, "Wish You Were Here" is one of the most recognizable song titles on the planet.
  • hailhail82hailhail82 Posts: 330
    knitted wrote:
    uh...gram parsons'?

word.
    Using the word "methinks" in your message board posts doesn't make you look smart.
  • Brain Of EBrain Of E Posts: 499
    As cheesy as it may be, I have to go with the original version because the Incubus song is lame. Actually that whole record is lame. I used to be a big Incubus fan, but lately their new music is sounding very gay.
    Down in the hole, Jesus tries to crack a smile beneath another shovel load.
  • MLC2006 wrote:
    who are the artists who did those songs? just from a brief search, I could not find any other song called "Breath" or "Once". and while there have been a few songs called "Alive", the most well known one was from that rap/rock band years after PJ's version.

but yeah, those are one word titles and pretty generic. but when one hears something like "Wish You Were Here" or "Love Hurts", come on, that's not just something the Incubus singer came up with independently. hell, "Wish You Were Here" is one of the most recognizable song titles on the planet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breathe_(Pink_Floyd_song)

http://www.lyriczz.com/lyriczz.php?songid=43114

http://nigapleasedotcom.imeem.com/music/gWssI3Eu/2pac_so_hard_to_imagine/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_Years_(Jamiroquai_song)

http://www.lyriczz.com/lyriczz.php?songid=6338

http://www.lyriczz.com/lyriczz.php?songid=8263

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parachutes

http://www.lyriczz.com/lyriczz.php?songid=1358

http://www.lyriczz.com/lyriczz.php?songid=36560

http://www.lyriczz.com/lyriczz.php?songid=47603

didn't even get past the first link. I hope you know this already, but "BREATH" and "BREATHE" are 2 completely different words. hell, BREATH is a noun, BREATHE is a verb. you do understand that, right?

what's more likely, that PJ was listening to and ripping song titles off Dolly Parton and Clint Black, or Incubus listening to and ripping song titles off REM, Pink Floyd, and Nazareth?
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    What the fuck does it matter if people recycle song titles? Fair enough if they are very unique titles, but I hardly think 'Wish you were here' or 'Love hurts' are unique titles.
  • MLC2006 wrote:
    didn't even get past the first link. I hope you know this already, but "BREATH" and "BREATHE" are 2 completely different words. hell, BREATH is a noun, BREATHE is a verb. you do understand that, right?

what's more likely, that PJ was listening to and ripping song titles off Dolly Parton and Clint Black, or Incubus listening to and ripping song titles off REM, Pink Floyd, and Nazareth?

Mate you haven't got an argument. My only point was that musicians steal song titles all the time. Point made. Now stop being such a pretentious idiot.

"wish you were here" is very much a unique song title. in fact, I think Pink Floyd should sue them over it.

most of the PJ titles you cited are one word titles and very generic.

also, you didn't answer my question, do you know the difference between breath and breathE???
  • MLC2006 wrote:
    "wish you were here" is very much a unique song title. in fact, I think Pink Floyd should sue them over it.

also, you didn't answer my question, do you know the difference between breath and breathE???

Why should I answer a question you're only asking in order to expose me as a total fucking clueless moron? Of course I know the difference.

• facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    MLC2006 wrote:

Pedant.

Just becasue it's a particularly famous song and album title, doesn't make it unique. I'm sure plenty of artists used the line "wish you were here" in songs before Pink Floyd, it's quite a common sentiment.

If Incubus were to use the title Trippin' On a Hole In A Paper Heart, for example, then you would have a point.
  • Blind MelonBlind Melon Posts: 911
    What does a song title matter anyway? If the music's good, why the fuck should I care (unless it's a really long pretentious title)? With that said... Love Hurts by Incubus has grown on me a lot since the album has come out, and I really do enjoy it... love the drum part and just the mix of guitars with Brandon's voice.

Also with that said, why is there so much hate on Incubus? The band is sooo good live, and their album material is absolutely stunning (but that's opinion)... it just seems that they've gotten this negative name to them and I'm just wondering why... I mean, the guys in the band have a really laid back and just awesome to their fans. I just don't get it...
    If I could, think I would give in.
  • Brain Of EBrain Of E Posts: 499
    What does a song title matter anyway? If the music's good, why the fuck should I care (unless it's a really long pretentious title)? With that said... Love Hurts by Incubus has grown on me a lot since the album has come out, and I really do enjoy it... love the drum part and just the mix of guitars with Brandon's voice.

Also with that said, why is there so much hate on Incubus? The band is sooo good live, and their album material is absolutely stunning (but that's opinion)... it just seems that they've gotten this negative name to them and I'm just wondering why... I mean, the guys in the band have a really laid back and just awesome to their fans. I just don't get it...

Well it just seems like their songs are a lot weaker than they used to be. Incubus used to write these very complex and hardcore songs. These days it seems that they're writing these really simple catchy tunes. Its seems like they just want to fit in with whats on the radio now.
    Down in the hole, Jesus tries to crack a smile beneath another shovel load.
  • LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    MLC2006 wrote:

MLC2006 wins this little argument. ;) Plus most of these titles are generic old words and phrases already used in poetry and literature for years and centuries.
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Blind MelonBlind Melon Posts: 911
    Brain Of E wrote:
    Well it just seems like their songs are a lot weaker than they used to be. Incubus used to write these very complex and hardcore songs. These days it seems that they're writing these really simple catchy tunes. Its seems like they just want to fit in with whats on the radio now.

They want to do anything but fit on the radio. They're at the point where they just seriously don't give a fuck... there are actually a ton of band (mainly Brandon) interviews where he just talks about anything, and you can see through this talking that they don't really care. They're just happy that they're still around and making music for people to enjoy. A lot of people were drawn into Incubus on false pretenses... because with SCIENCE, it brought this whole "hardcore" crowd that liked the nu-metal sound, but Incubus was just testing the waters with that sound, as they have on most of their albums... they just evolve from one sound to another (while still keeping some of that old sound with them)...

Their songs were not complex back during SCIENCE, Mike even stated that... he said it was mainly chord mashing, etc, and to them, they said it started to sound the same, so they went with a different sound. I'll agree that Make Yourself was their best (because that album means so much to me), but I think Light Grenades/ACLOTM are a close 2nd.

Here's an article if you feel like reading... Brandon interview from not to long ago.

I also forgot to say that they do so much as a band... Ben Kenney has solo shit, just toured with DJ Kilmore playing that stuff, Mike Einziger is creating a symphony, Brandon Boyd writes his books, Jose just chills out (haha), they've been doing things for the environment (not sure what it is, I forget at the moment), and they have the Make Yourself Foundation which they have already raised 1,000,000 to go to other needful charities/foundations... it's just that I hate this band really gets no credit, yet they do a whole lot... and people still see them as the band that did the song "Wish You Were Here", when they fucking sold out... well, if they sold out... where are all their fans? I barely see anyone on the internet (other than the incuboards) where Incubus truly gets the love they deserve. SHEESH. Alright, I'm finished. Sorry.
    If I could, think I would give in.