WTF james hetfield...

2»

Comments

• i know aic is partly cantrells band but i cant believe the crap hes done with aic since layne died. i really feel its all about money. his solo stuff wasnt that big, even though it was awesome. now it just seems like since he cant make any money without layne that he will do anything with the aic name cause he knows that will sell.
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    i know aic is partly cantrells band but i cant believe the crap hes done with aic since layne died. i really feel its all about money. his solo stuff wasnt that big, even though it was awesome. now it just seems like since he cant make any money without layne that he will do anything with the aic name cause he knows that will sell.

why do you think bands tour and put out albums, for kicks and giggles? what's he done that makes you feel "its all about the money"? hey, it's not like he's selling copies of all live shows and releasing other other live DVDs, and photo album books, and "special edition" concert posters for every show and headlining Corporatesponsorpalooza. getting my drift?? I love PJ, but if you can honestly call Cantrell a money grubber without putting 10 times more blame on PJ for grubbing for MORE money, then you're a hyppocrit.

these bands are there to make money. and if there's still good music left in them, I don't see the problem with them trying to make money. they can tour as "Alice in Chains" or they tour as "The Juicy Fruits", and they'll sell 10 times more albums and concert tickets just for being "Alice In Chains", so I say more power to them.

I don't even know what you're accusing Cantrell of doing? he went on tour, that's about it, right? if you saw his show on MTV Cribs, he's not living like a rockstar in a big mansions with a fleet of Bentleys and Mercedes. he seems to be pretty damn down to earth, so I don't think he's doing it only for the money because I think he's probably got enough money. I think he's doing it because he left unfinished business and there's more AIC songs to be made.
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    i know aic is partly cantrells band but i cant believe the crap hes done with aic since layne died. i really feel its all about money. his solo stuff wasnt that big, even though it was awesome. now it just seems like since he cant make any money without layne that he will do anything with the aic name cause he knows that will sell.

I don't want to be rude, and please don't take it too personally, but this is exactly the sort of horse shit that pisses me off round here.

At the end of the day Jerry was very much the chief song writer in AiC, and whether people choose to identify mostly with Layne and his whole tortured artist persona, that is their prerogative. Why pick out Cantrell as the money grabbing bastard in the band anyway? What about the others? Is it inconceivable that maybe, just maybe, they missed being a band and playing the songs they wrote to their huge legion of fans?

To say it must be about the money is pretty ridiculous too, guys of this nature (the type that write deep and meaningful music) don't sit there counting their money. They have far too much integrity, do you really think the kind of guy who wrote songs like Down in a Hole, Rooster or Would, is the kind of guy to be worrying about having a huge bank balance? And the reality is, AiC sold millions of records in the 90's, most likely enough not to ever have to work again if they didn't want to - Cantrell in particular, since the vast majority of their songs were written by him.

I was very fortunate to get to see the new incarnation of AiC with William DuVall on vocals last year, and it was an INCREDIBLE performance. The songs still burst with energy, the band looked like they were enjoying every second of it, and the audience sang their hearts out to every song. What's more, DuVall proved to be a very capable and respectful performer. Different from Layne - sure, but he put in an impassioned performance that totally captured the spirt of Alice's music without resorting to pastiche.

I miss Layne and his music as much as the next guy, his haunting vocals were truly unique and I don't think anybody could really better him. But I also live by the rule that life is too short to be worrying about stupid little things that ultimately don't amount to much. Believe it or not, Jerry and the other band members miss Layne more than any of us ever will, he was not only their band mate but also their friend of many years, and if you've lost a friend, you will surely know how painful that is. So with that in light, if they want to remember their friend by hitting the road and playing the songs they loved to play together, and even record a new record to continue the legacy of that band, then who the hell are any of us to question it?
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I don't want to be rude, and please don't take it too personally, but this is exactly the sort of horse shit that pisses me off round here.

At the end of the day Jerry was very much the chief song writer in AiC, and whether people choose to identify mostly with Layne and his whole tortured artist persona, that is their prerogative. Why pick out Cantrell as the money grabbing bastard in the band anyway? What about the others? Is it inconceivable that maybe, just maybe, they missed being a band and playing the songs they wrote to their huge legion of fans?

To say it must be about the money is pretty ridiculous too, guys of this nature (the type that write deep and meaningful music) don't sit there counting their money. They have far too much integrity, do you really think the kind of guy who wrote songs like Down in a Hole, Rooster or Would, is the kind of guy to be worrying about having a huge bank balance? And the reality is, AiC sold millions of records in the 90's, most likely enough not to ever have to work again if they didn't want to - Cantrell in particular, since the vast majority of their songs were written by him.

I was very fortunate to get to see the new incarnation of AiC with William DuVall on vocals last year, and it was an INCREDIBLE performance. The songs still burst with energy, the band looked like they were enjoying every second of it, and the audience sang their hearts out to every song. What's more, DuVall proved to be a very capable and respectful performer. Different from Layne - sure, but he put in an impassioned performance that totally captured the spirt of Alice's music without resorting to pastiche.

I miss Layne and his music as much as the next guy, his haunting vocals were truly unique and I don't think anybody could really better him. But I also live by the rule that life is too short to be worrying about stupid little things that ultimately don't amount to much. Believe it or not, Jerry and the other band members miss Layne more than any of us ever will, he was not only their band mate but also their friend of many years, and if you've lost a friend, you will surely know how painful that is. So with that in light, if they want to remember their friend by hitting the road and playing the songs they loved to play together, and even record a new record to continue the legacy of that band, then who the hell are any of us to question it?

I agree with you. Thanks for typing all of that so i don't have to. :)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • geniegenie Posts: 2,222
    suns rival wrote:
    ...you just murdered one of the best AIC's songs.
    if only layne cound wake up from his grave, he'll kill you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_cZ60v9YdM

Why didn't anyone tell James about his voice sounding shit on this cover? before he made a fool out of himself?

I prefer James's voice to Layne's. But they have different vocal abilities, this song is not suitable for James's voice.

It was a cringing experience for me to watch this video
  • FnCircusFnCircus Posts: 439
    genie wrote:
    It was a cringing experience for me to watch this video
    I couldn't finish it...........so James, please, thanks for the attempt, but stick with this. This is MUCH better..........

http://youtube.com/watch?v=H5BoQ1qPPRs
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    IF YOU THINK HETFIELD BUTCHERED THAT SONG THEN THINK AGAIN!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mg4q9hQj3Tg&mode=related&search=

MY GOD PHIL CANT SIGN LIKE THAT!
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
    I love Jaymz, but that did suck.

that is a song no one should eve cover. Layne was that song.

Phil fucking really sucked, he sounded like fucking Creed, and if I could use fuck inthe sentence anymore than I fucking have I fucking WOULD?
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    I really don't think its that bad. (And I'm not a huge Metallica fan) It seems like it was done out of respect to Layne and Hetfield sounded pretty good to me. (maybe my standards are lower than the majority....)
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    damn, what happened to metallica? they really got terrible eh? oh well .. i think layne is a way better musician the james personally.i never thought james had a good voice, it just fit the music, and as far as writing lyrics..ehh ok..good rythem guitarist? HELL YEA. layne on the other hand, amazing voice, great touching lyrics, and he just connect with the music and listeners so well.
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • I actually thought that was pretty good. When i clicked it, i thought train wreck, but as far as AIC songs go, Would is probably the one he probably fits the best... the end was shaky, but at least he didnt add in the UH's and WOO's and such that he has fallen in love with the past 10 years or so.

I liked it.
  • MLC2006 wrote:
    why do you think bands tour and put out albums, for kicks and giggles? what's he done that makes you feel "its all about the money"? hey, it's not like he's selling copies of all live shows and releasing other other live DVDs, and photo album books, and "special edition" concert posters for every show and headlining Corporatesponsorpalooza. getting my drift?? I love PJ, but if you can honestly call Cantrell a money grubber without putting 10 times more blame on PJ for grubbing for MORE money, then you're a hyppocrit.

these bands are there to make money. and if there's still good music left in them, I don't see the problem with them trying to make money. they can tour as "Alice in Chains" or they tour as "The Juicy Fruits", and they'll sell 10 times more albums and concert tickets just for being "Alice In Chains", so I say more power to them.

I don't even know what you're accusing Cantrell of doing? he went on tour, that's about it, right? if you saw his show on MTV Cribs, he's not living like a rockstar in a big mansions with a fleet of Bentleys and Mercedes. he seems to be pretty damn down to earth, so I don't think he's doing it only for the money because I think he's probably got enough money. I think he's doing it because he left unfinished business and there's more AIC songs to be made.

i have a great deal of respect for cantrell. i just dont like the idea that he is calling this 'new' band aic. and i think the only reason he is doing this is for money. cause he could do a tribute tour and use another name. it just wouldnt get the same ticket sales. but i did read that if they record any new music that it wont be called aic. so i dont know. i just dont like the idea of calling it aic with out layne. and i blame jerry for this more than the other two.

also i get the whole pj thing. and as i saw someone else post in the att thread, i think it was. the vedder of 94 would so total rip into the vedder today. for what its worth when eddie played 'i only play for money' that song today would be a poke at pj today.

dont get me wrong i like pearl jam and cantrell. sometimes i have to wonder about the bands i like thats all.
  • Beck..Beck.. Posts: 535
    suns rival wrote:
    ...you just murdered one of the best AIC's songs.
    if only layne cound wake up from his grave, he'll kill you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_cZ60v9YdM
    I didnt think it was too bad.