Albums that had to grow on you

2»

Comments

• PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,018
    i use to have some albums that had to grow on me but i think the whole thing is forcing yourself to like it. when i first got frank black's show me your tears i was kinda disappointed compared to his previous albums with the catholics. but i kept listening to it and it grew on me. then after not hearing it for awhile i went back and listened to it again and was like 'this really isnt up to par'
    same thing with cantrells degradation trip. though i still like it, it grew on me to the point that i thought it was one of the best albums ever. live's the distance to here is another one. i was a huge live fan when that came out. i didnt like it until after a solid week of listening to it. now when i listen to it its like meh, this is a clear sign they were going down hill, and fast.

i know what i like now, ive listened to alot of stuff. if i dont 'get' the album after a few listens, 3 days max. im just forcing myself to like something cause either i like the artist alot or it's something i think i should like based on other musical tastes of mine.

im not saying it has to be poppy and stuck in your head after one listen. but there should be a clear sign that its a good album first time through, if youve listen to the artist before. new artist clearly more time.
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,152
    for me:

MMJ- Z
    Kings of Leon- Because of the Times
    Radiohead- In Rainbows
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • SchokiSchoki Posts: 5,072
    ATDI ~ VAYA
    Radiohead ~ KID A
    PEARL JAM ~ RIOT ACT
    NIN ~ THE DOWNWARD SPIRAL
    TOOL ~ LATERALUS
    APC ~ MER DE NOMS
    KYUSS ~ WELCOME TO SKY VALLEY
    DEADWING ~ PORCUPINE TREE
    METALLICA ~ MASTER OF PUPPETS
    FAITH NO MORE ~ KING FOR A DAY...
    TOM WAITS ~ the complete catalogue
  • Sian-of-the-deadSian-of-the-dead Posts: 8,963
    Lamb of God-New American Gospel

Agreed. Although once I 'got' it, I loved it. Black Dahlia is my favourite LoG song :D

Another one for me is KoL - Aha Shake Heartbreak. I really didn't like or appreciate it when I first heard it (hated Caleb's vocal style) but it got stuck in my head and really really grew on me.
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • BrainofdzBrainofdz Posts: 1,617
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    Kings of Leon- Because of the Times

it didn't take me long, the first few listens I thought it was pretty average, but I quickly grew to love it, by now it might be my favorite, although its tough to beat Aha Shake
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

When you see me on the street, yell out "FAVO!!!"

I've been to alot of Pearl Jam shows;So fucking what.