Options

Why is OK COMPUTER rated so high????

2»

Comments

• Options
    Al DeniroAl Deniro Posts: 13
    Klumpie wrote:
    Because it was the most innovative album of the 90's. And it's a good album with some great songs on it.

Explain how this album is the most innovative album of the 90's. To me every song sounds like a lullaby, the music is very mellow and depressing...Is this what makes it so great?

Sorry I just can't see it, I don't think there are any memorable songs on the whole album.
    My life is a disaster zone
  • Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    because it's better than the white album.
  • Options
    El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    i dont really know why radiohead in general is rated so high. the bends was a damn near perfect album and ok computer certainly was an inspiring blend of elecrtonica and rock, but after that they've gone quite downhill. what id give to hear a guitar playing a decent melody in a radiohead song again.

their new stuff is more guitar domianted (except for apreggi)
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way
  • Options
    Al Deniro wrote:
    Explain how this album is the most innovative album of the 90's. To me every song sounds like a lullaby, the music is very mellow and depressing...Is this what makes it so great?

Sorry I just can't see it, I don't think there are any memorable songs on the whole album.

to each their own...i think the whole album is brilliant, even electioneering
    standin above the crowd
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
  • Options
    El_Kabong wrote:
    their new stuff is more guitar domianted (except for apreggi)

maybe not all the stuff...house of cards is pretty mellow...but body snatchers, banger 'n mash and spooks have a lot of jonny on guitar
    standin above the crowd
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
  • Options
    armyreservearmyreserve Posts: 209
    Up to that point in time, it was one of the most innovative albums made!
    10/06/91 Hollywood, CA; 05/13/92 Hollywood, CA; 09/02/93 Hollywood, CA; 11/05/93 Indio, CA; 11/07/95 San Diego, CA; 03/29/98 (Dead Man Walking - The Concert) Los Angeles, CA; 07/13/98 Inglewood, CA; 10/24/00 Los Angeles, CA; 10/28/00 Devore, CA;07/09/06 Los Angeles, CA; 07/10/06 Los Angeles, CA; 09/30/09 Universal City, CA; 10/01/09 Universal City, CA
  • Options
    WillWill Posts: 41
    OK Computer is an extremely overrated album. The Bends is number one Radiohead, in my opinion.
    ... still Alive...
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,490
    why are nirvana so overated..
  • Options
    Al Deniro wrote:
    Not just among Radiohead albums but also on lists of all time great albums.

Sorry but this one is incredibly overated...It just aint that good.

It's nowhere near Radiohead's best.

it is a great album for the teenage mental patients. kinda like dark side of the moon.
    and then it just sticks with people .. I have never been into either
    sometimes i burn like a dot on the sun
    and there is no god with a plan
    this worlds an accident
    bring it on cause i'm no victim
  • Options
    Carlos DCarlos D Posts: 638
    Good but c'mon,not the best ever.
    It may be the devil or it may be the Lord
    But you're gonna have to serve somebody.

www.bebo.com/pearljam06
  • Options
    yield2meyield2me Posts: 1,291
    Ok Computer is a genius of a record!
    “May you live to be 100 and may the last voice you hear be mine.” - Frank Sinatra
  • Options
    capybaraletcapybaralet Posts: 145
    I agree and have never found anything particularly geat about it, especially in the songwriting, which is definately the most important aspect of a record.

It is pretty inovative, what with all the "sonic experimentation" and what-not, but I think Hail to the Thief is in another (better) league.
    everything=3

2-1-0

4-3-2-1-0
    2---2--3---3--2----1

2-2-2-3-3-3-2-2-0

M
  • Options
    karma defectkarma defect Posts: 5,483
    Al Deniro wrote:
    Not just among Radiohead albums but also on lists of all time great albums.

Sorry but this one is incredibly overated...It just aint that good.

It's nowhere near Radiohead's best.

I keep wondering who does this rating I keep hearing about. Is there a job like that? Official rating master of music.
    « One man's glory is another man's hell.
    You’re on the outside, never bound by such a spell.
    Together in the darkness, alone in the light.
    I took it upon me to be yours, Timmy,
    I’ll lead your angels and demons at play tonight......»
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    I keep wondering who does this rating I keep hearing about. Is there a job like that? Official rating master of music.

yes there is karma. it's given to the biggest tosser at the magazine. that way for the rest of the year everyone has got someone to focus their abuse at.

this list however was reader generated.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    yes there is karma. it's given to the biggest tosser at the magazine. that way for the rest of the year everyone has got someone to focus their abuse at.

this list however was reader generated.

I think it is silly rating a band or album. How was it rated? What was the real rating that shows it is overrated?
  • Options
    I think it is silly rating a band or album. How was it rated? What was the real rating that shows it is overrated?

the readers voted.
    so my thinking is OK Computer got more votes than any other album.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    merlin401merlin401 Posts: 216
    I'd put it in my top 10 albums off all-time easily...over any PJ album as well.

I would say so too... PJ is my favorite band. They've never made anything on the level of OK Computer. Its consistently brilliant in the way No Code is inconsistently brilliant.

Its just about the perfect album that delivers a solid shot to the guy with its emotionally packed delivery. Its not a record of pop songs or songs to rock out to. But it is a harrowing trip that is perfectly crafted from the opening chord to the closing ping.
    Jones Beach II (2000), Holmdel (2003), Camden 1, East Rutherford II, Gorge I, Gorge II (2006), MSG I, Boston II (2008), Spectrum II, Spectrum III, Spectrum IV (2009), MSG I, MSG II (2010), Prague (2012), Philly I (2013), Philly I, Philly II, Fenway I (2016), Fenway I (2018), MSG (2022)
  • Options
    the readers voted.
    so my thinking is OK Computer got more votes than any other album.

Yes I got that.:D
  • Options
    Oh please. As someone else correctly stated, it's a product of the times. That album couldn't possibly have the same impact on someone now in 2006 as it did for me in 1997. "OK Computer" came out of nowhere. There was no hype around it when it first came out - the only promotion done was the "Paranoid Android" video which they only showed occasionally on late night MTV. Gradually as more and more people heard the album it became all the rage. Radiohead were playing small theatres in the US when the album first came out...a few months later they were selling out arenas.

It's like hearing "Sgt. Pepper" for the first time in June 1967. Back then it was toally awesome and cutting edge...now it's just "meh"....because it's been trampled into the ground and hyped into oblivion.
  • Options
    just so you know, the stereophonics album.'word gets around' came in at #81.
    now i like the stereophonics but there's no way that album's in the top 100 of anything. except maybe if we're rating welsh bands.

the albums that made #11 to #20 were:

11.the joshua tree - U2
    12.the queen is dead - the smiths
    13.grace - jeff buckley
    14.abbey road - beatles
    15.dark side of the moon - pink floyd
    16.urban hymns -the verve
    17.the white album - beatles
    18.pet sounds - beach boys
    19.sgt pepper's - beatles
    20.london calling - the clash

the only pearl jam on the list was predictably TEN at #59
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    JWBusher wrote:
    Oh please. As someone else correctly stated, it's a product of the times. That album couldn't possibly have the same impact on someone now in 2006 as it did for me in 1997. "OK Computer" came out of nowhere. There was no hype around it when it first came out - the only promotion done was the "Paranoid Android" video which they only showed occasionally on late night MTV. Gradually as more and more people heard the album it became all the rage. Radiohead were playing small theatres in the US when the album first came out...a few months later they were selling out arenas.

It's like hearing "Sgt. Pepper" for the first time in June 1967. Back then it was toally awesome and cutting edge...now it's just "meh"....because it's been trampled into the ground and hyped into oblivion.

I don't care if it is hyped it was a good album when I first heard it and it is still just as good if not better.
  • Options
    blacknapkinsblacknapkins Posts: 2,176
    Al Deniro wrote:
    I just don't see how it is any better than anything pearl Jam has done. It's all subjective but I think OK is pretty over rated.

Comparing apples to oranges.
    "Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best."
    ~ FZ ~
  • Options
    just so you know, the stereophonics album.'word gets around' came in at #81.
    now i like the stereophonics but there's no way that album's in the top 100 of anything. except maybe if we're rating welsh bands.

the albums that made #11 to #20 were:

11.the joshua tree - U2
    12.the queen is dead - the smiths
    13.grace - jeff buckley
    14.abbey road - beatles
    15.dark side of the moon - pink floyd
    16.urban hymns -the verve
    17.the white album - beatles
    18.pet sounds - beach boys
    19.sgt pepper's - beatles
    20.london calling - the clash

the only pearl jam on the list was predictably TEN at #59

It would have been better had it made the number 10 spot. hihi. I like No code the best.
  • Options
    it's brilliant like everything radiohead has touched since 1995.

uncomparable to kid a or HTTT though... it really just becomes a battle of which style you prefer.

but it is incredible..

it's rated so high because it reaches a middle ground..

not strait up-experimentation like kid A, but styled kind of like The Bends.

it's very accesable.

and the songs are just top-notch.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Options
    toronado10toronado10 Posts: 239
    all I know is that paranoid android is one of the most amazing songs I've ever seen live. I could care less whether or not OK Computer is rated one of the best albums of all time, all that matters to me is that I like it.
    Take time to see the sky,
    Find shapes in the clouds.
    Hear the murmur of the wind
    and touch the cool water.
    Walk softly,
    we are intruders,
    tolerated briefly
    In an infinite universe.
  • Options
    toronado10 wrote:
    all I know is that paranoid android is one of the most amazing songs I've ever seen live. I could care less whether or not OK Computer is rated one of the best albums of all time, all that matters to me is that I like it.

well said.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    toronado10 wrote:

Are you master Yoda?
  • Options
    EbizzieEbizzie Posts: 240
    OK Computer captured the moment of its release so incredibly well. If you weren't an adult when it was released I imagine it would be harder to appreciate. The electronic revolution was starting to hit full swing, everything was becoming computer based. The economy was beginning to expand at a ridiculous rate, materialism was coming back en vogue, and human isolationism was quickly becoming a reality. OK Computer captured the times. It presented a perfect balance of electronics and man, creating an amazing harmony. The lyrics speak to the isolation, the feeling that you weren't competent enough to keep up with the rest of society, let down.

I don't know, it was just a beatiful album that spoke to me. I was 21 when the album was released and really got into it when I was 22 or 23. I always liked the album but I remember one time throwing on the headphones, blasting the album, and looking through the cd insert. Just an amazing experience. There was one small picture that really summed up the album to me perfectly, a picture of a hand breaking up from below the ice.
    "Worse than traitors in arms are the men who pretend loyalty to the flag, feast and fatten on the misfortunes of the nation while patriotic blood is crimsoning the plains." -- Abraham Lincoln