Options

Why is OK COMPUTER rated so high????

Al DeniroAl Deniro Posts: 13
edited June 2006 in Other Music
Not just among Radiohead albums but also on lists of all time great albums.

Sorry but this one is incredibly overated...It just aint that good.

It's nowhere near Radiohead's best.
My life is a disaster zone
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Edved82Edved82 Ireland Posts: 1,274
    I agree - its a good album, but not the greatest of all time as some people seem to think. I'm not the world's biggest Radiohead fan though, so that may explain it ;)
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • Options
    edved82 wrote:
    I agree - its a good album, but not the greatest of all time as some people seem to think. I'm not the world's biggest Radiohead fan though, so that may explain it ;)

I'm an avid fan of Radiohead, I own everything except Pablo Honey...

It really is the most ordinary album they have done...don't get me wrong some great songs on it...but as a whole I don't think it compares to The Bends, Kid A and Hail to the Thief.
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    If you ask me, it is a superior version of the bends - A more coherent theme, songs that are more well-constructed, and the fact that it pushed the envelope a little more. I can't really compare it to Kid A, but I prefer it more (though just barely), and on the whole I find it not to be as patchy as Hail To The Theif. I don't hold it to be in the greatest of all time or even the 90's, but it is definately up there on my list. the first 6 songs are amazing, and the only "dud" I find is "Electioneering."
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,490
    yeh, its a good album, i think it might be ok for it to be in all time
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Al Deniro wrote:
    I'm an avid fan of Radiohead, I own everything except Pablo Honey...

It really is the most ordinary album they have done...don't get me wrong some great songs on it...but as a whole I don't think it compares to The Bends, Kid A and Hail to the Thief.

i own pablo honey and i would categorise myself as perhaps a casual as opposed to an avid radiohead fan. you really should own it to complete the set and then you can say why you don't like it or whatever. i assume that's why you don't have it?
    in february when Q magazine published their 100 greatest albums of all time as voted by the readers, not 1 but 3 radiohead albums made it into the top 10. that's right 3 in the top 10. i knew then that perhaps something was in the water in the UK. though admittedly not all their readership lives in the UK. but still i found it ridiculous.
    the first time i heard OK Computer i thought yeah ok so that's what it sounds like. then i realised that i couldn't even remember what it sounded like even though i had just been listening to it, so i played it again. i think it grows on you. though it's not my fave radiohead album( that honour belongs to probably predictably, the bends) i find OK computer quite an enigmatic album and if i could just stop calling paranoid android, marvin, i'd be happy.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    I'd put it in my top 10 albums off all-time easily...over any PJ album as well.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • Options
    danedane Posts: 1,062

I totally agree with you.
    EXCEPT the last 6 words!
    Roskilde 30-06-00
    Berlin 23-09-06
    Copenhagen 26-06-07
    :-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-
    "This is not wine that I'm drinking tonight. This is Gatorade!" EV-Copenhagen 26-06-07
  • Options
    KlumpieKlumpie Posts: 2,649
    Because it was the most innovative album of the 90's. And it's a good album with some great songs on it.
  • Options
    Klumpie wrote:
    Because it was the most innovative album of the 90's.

I've got to disagree with this statement. Spiderland and Laughing Stock are worlds of innovation beyond OK Computer.
  • Options
    KlumpieKlumpie Posts: 2,649
    Echoes wrote:
    I've got to disagree with this statement. Spiderland and Laughing Stock are worlds of innovation beyond OK Computer.

This album reached alot people and press, that weren't in this kind of music. For this people it was one of the most innovative albums of the 90's. I know that alot of other stuff is out there and were more innovative, but OK Computer was one of the importants albums in the 90's and inspired alot of other bands.
  • Options
    I don't doubt it reached a lot of people, or that it was a pretty damn important album.

Check out Talk Talk's Laughing Stock or Slint's Spiderland if you ever have the chance. Great albums
  • Options
    mattosbornemattosborne Posts: 339
    I'm a big Radiohead fan and I believe OK Computer is their best album.

Kid A is probably 2nd.
    The Official Matt Cameron appreciation signature!
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    i dont really know why radiohead in general is rated so high. the bends was a damn near perfect album and ok computer certainly was an inspiring blend of elecrtonica and rock, but after that they've gone quite downhill. what id give to hear a guitar playing a decent melody in a radiohead song again.
  • Options
    I guess if I had to rate the Albums:

Kid A
    The Bends
    OK COmputer
    HTTT
    Amnesiac/Pablo Honey

But, I really do like them all. If think Radiohead's standing in music is well deserved...
    www.myspace.com/sharkie002
  • Options
    ok computer certainly was an inspiring blend of elecrtonica and rock,

OK Computer...? Electronica...? Which songs do you hear this on...? I think you meant Kid A, or maybe I missed a song or two...
    www.myspace.com/sharkie002
  • Options
    i dont really know why radiohead in general is rated so high. the bends was a damn near perfect album and ok computer certainly was an inspiring blend of elecrtonica and rock, but after that they've gone quite downhill. what id give to hear a guitar playing a decent melody in a radiohead song again.

Complain all you want, but Kid A is far from being a pure electronica album. At its heart it is still pretty much a guitar/bass/drum soup.
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    Echoes wrote:
    Complain all you want, but Kid A is far from being a pure electronica album. At its heart it is still pretty much a guitar/bass/drum soup.

but still no melody. kid a made me want to go to sleep. it was all atmosphere and no substance. the songs just blurred together.

donut, i was referring to the flourishes of electronics inserted in... background, ambient noise, wierd insertions of noise for effect. it's been a long time since i listened to the album so i cant really pick particular songs (though i want to say the first two have a lot of that sort of thing). it took rock and added a nice little texture to it. then with kid a they basically abandoned the guitar and went almost completely to an ambient sound. which is fine, i just dont like it. call me all the names you like, it aint rock if there's no distinctive guitar sound.
  • Options
    blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    why is an radiohead album rated so high? :D

j/k radiohead fans, but that band does nothing for me. To each their own...
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    but still no melody. kid a made me want to go to sleep. it was all atmosphere and no substance. the songs just blurred together.

dang. No substance to "Everything In Its Right Place?" "Idioteque?" "How To DIsappear Completely??" I can understand things like "Treefingers" slipping through the cracks, but damn those are some of Radioheads most powerful songs.
  • Options
    murph83murph83 Posts: 122
    Al Deniro wrote:
    Not just among Radiohead albums but also on lists of all time great albums.

Sorry but this one is incredibly overated...It just aint that good.

It's nowhere near Radiohead's best.

I agree, it is a good album in my opinion but I don't rate it higher than the bends. That is far better than Ok Computer. I find Ok computer has a very similar sound all thru the album while The Bends switches it up a bit more. I can listen to the bends from beginning to end and then back to the beginning again, but with Ok computer I have to skip past a few (Exit Music, Electioneering, Fitter Happier). I don't know why it is rated as the best album of the last ?? years, can't remember the exact number. Not saying it is bad, but The Bends should take that position.
  • Options
    IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    I think the hype is warping your judgement of it. I bought OK computer the day it came out..before all the "greatest album ever" type media hype came out. I had no idea what it was, I had only ever heard a few radiohead songs. It took me a few listens to get into, but once I was into it, I knew it was something beyond just being good. It really is one of the defining albums of our time. I would probably put it #1 album of my life. It is musically challenging, yet infectious, and the content is spot on for the time. Not to mention the production and effects, which is pretty much commonplace now, thanks to that album. The album is on the greatest of lists for a reason...because it is a masterpiece, plain and simple. Radiohead's other work is amazing as well. But they really set the bar high with OK Computer. It was a landmark album.
  • Options
    direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    Igottago wrote:
    I think the hype is warping your judgement of it. I bought OK computer the day it came out..before all the "greatest album ever" type media hype came out. I had no idea what it was, I had only ever heard a few radiohead songs. It took me a few listens to get into, but once I was into it, I knew it was something beyond just being good. It really is one of the defining albums of our time. I would probably put it #1 album of my life. It is musically challenging, yet infectious, and the content is spot on for the time. Not to mention the production and effects, which is pretty much commonplace now, thanks to that album. The album is on the greatest of lists for a reason...because it is a masterpiece, plain and simple. Radiohead's other work is amazing as well. But they really set the bar high with OK Computer. It was a landmark album.

What he said.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    NothingbetterNothingbetter Wichita, KS Posts: 570
    I'd rate Pablo Honey above it.
    Kansas City 6/12/03 ** Kissimmee 10/9/04 ** Atlantic City 10/1/05 ** Denver 7/2/06 ** Denver 7/3/06 ** Chicago 8/23/09 ** Chicago 8/24/09 ** Kansas City 5/3/10 ** Dallas 11/15/13 ** Oklahoma City 11/16/13 ** St. Louis 10/3/14 ** Tulsa 10/8/14 ** Chicago - Wrigley Field 8/20/16 ** Chicago - Wrigley Field 8/22/16 ** Oklahoma City 9/20/22 ** Ft. Worth 9/15/23

EV - St. Louis 7/1/11 ** Tulsa 11/19/12
  • Options
    I'd rate Pablo Honey above it.

I wouldn't rate Pablo Honey ahead of much. That was one forgettable album.
  • Options
    mattosbornemattosborne Posts: 339
    OK Computer...? Electronica...? Which songs do you hear this on...? I think you meant Kid A, or maybe I missed a song or two...

There are TOTALLY electronic influences on OK Computer. If you can't hear that, i'm sorry. Parts of Kid A is full blown Electronica but, OK Computer absoutely had some.
    The Official Matt Cameron appreciation signature!
  • Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    because it's brilliant :D. especially when you went to buy the no surprises single in 1997 like my brother and the clueless shop girl gave you the whole album accidentally for £1.99.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    Because of:

1.Airbag
    2.Paranoid Android
    3.Subterranean Homesick Alien
    4.Exit Music (For A Film)
    5.Let Down
    6.Karma Police 7.fitter happier
    8.Electioneering
    9.Climbing Up The Walls
    10.No Surprises
    11.Lucky
    12.The Tourist

It made a statement about our world that resonated with a lot of people. The songs are great. The playing is great. The artwork is great. If it's overrated to you then Ok. But OK Computer is one of those masterpieces that is worthy of such high praise in my opinion.
  • Options
    Igottago wrote:

Totally agree. I bought it shortly after it came out. I was 12 years old I knew then it was something more than good.
  • Options

I just don't see how it is any better than anything pearl Jam has done. It's all subjective but I think OK is pretty over rated.
  • Options
    in february when Q magazine published their 100 greatest albums of all time as voted by the readers, not 1 but 3 radiohead albums made it into the top 10. that's right 3 in the top 10. i knew then that perhaps something was in the water in the UK. though admittedly not all their readership lives in the UK. but still i found it ridiculous.

You are right it is ridiculous. They are so incredibly over rated. That's not to say that they are not good, but come on 3 albums in the all time top 10. There is some kind of hidden agenda there.