Chris Cornell called American Idol

2»

Comments

• ii44ii44 Posts: 430
    You know that the contestants record full studio versions of the songs they perform on the show? I downloaded David Cook's 4 minute long version, not bad at all. The guy does have a great voice, not quite in Cornell's league, but it's a very solid cover. I can post a link if anyone's interested.

I can't put my finger on what exactly went wrong when Cornell recorded the song, the acoustic version is fantastic, and some of the live versions on youtube are damn near jaw-dropping - the album version just doesn't do it justice.

I think it was just too big, too much stuff going on, goes on for a bit too long-- and it doesn't help that with all the instruments going that the record has been loudened-- it's a bit fatiguing on the ears.

I love the Sweeden acoustic version, and it's not bad live with the full band.
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    ii44 wrote:
    I think it was just too big, too much stuff going on, goes on for a bit too long-- and it doesn't help that with all the instruments going that the record has been loudened-- it's a bit fatiguing on the ears.

I love the Sweeden acoustic version, and it's not bad live with the full band.

It's weird though, because when he plays it live, it still retains a lot of the instrumentation, but it just sounds so much better. I think his voice has improved greatly from around the time he recorded the album too.
    It's weird though, because when he plays it live, it still retains a lot of the instrumentation, but it just sounds so much better. I think his voice has improved greatly from around the time he recorded the album too.

Ok I just listened to it again, and I think part of it is the loudening, and part of it is that CCs voice is just way too loud in the mix. It's like he's shouting over stuff that isn't there. Previous bitching still applies though.
    ii44 wrote:
    Ok I just listened to it again, and I think part of it is the loudening, and part of it is that CCs voice is just way too loud in the mix. It's like he's shouting over stuff that isn't there. Previous bitching still applies though.

Yeah I think you could be right. The fact that his shouting is still a bit raspy probably doesn't help either. I still like it, but it's just annoying knowing that there are better live versions.

I'm listening to David Cook's full length version of the song at the moment, damn that guy can sing.
  • Yeah I think you could be right. The fact that his shouting is still a bit raspy probably doesn't help either. I still like it, but it's just annoying knowing that there are better live versions.

I'm listening to David Cook's full length version of the song at the moment, damn that guy can sing.

Everysong from that album sounds better live. They played Scar on the Sky in Dallas and it was a million times better. The instruments on the studio version sound strange, just thrown in. The ablum all together sounds rushed.
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    So true...but then 8 times out of 10 live sounds better and with a voice like Cornell's...wow.

I guess it's unanimous: Live in Sweden is the benchmark for his take on the song.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • I thought he called a radio show and talked about american idol
  • You're all missing the point. It doesn't matter who sings what song or who calls in. American Idol is retarded and should be put down like a sick dog. Bullet to the brain.
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • culot4culot4 Posts: 775
    Chris Corny keeps outdoing himself as a huge fucking cheeseball. Was he having his weekly American Idol party or something.
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
  • Marie CurieMarie Curie Posts: 1,250
    You know that the contestants record full studio versions of the songs they perform on the show? I downloaded David Cook's 4 minute long version, not bad at all. The guy does have a great voice, not quite in Cornell's league, but it's a very solid cover. I can post a link if anyone's interested.

I'm interested, can you PM a link?
    “Life is life everywhere. Life is in ourselves and not outside us. There will be men beside me, and the important thing is to be a man among men and to remain a man always, whatever the misfortunes, not to despair and not to fall - that is the aim of life, that is its purpose.”
    Fyodor Dostoyevsky
  • PearlsGirlPearlsGirl Posts: 257
    dlymnfld wrote:
    To give David Cook props for singing his version of Billie Jean. I thought that was pretty funny. The song actually wasn't that bad.

aaaaaahhhh, now i get it. these ladies at work were talking about it and i overheard them say Chris' name. why chris, why would you listen to american idol? you're a genius, don't do this...
    Don't let the world bring you down, not everyone here is that fucked up and cold. Remember why you came and while you're alive, experience the warmth before you grow old.

Best two days of my life: Oasis at MSG and Pearl Jam at the Gorge.
    You're all missing the point. It doesn't matter who sings what song or who calls in. American Idol is retarded and should be put down like a sick dog. Bullet to the brain.

I find the show as entertaining as hell. You know there are a lot of people who watch it that don't give a shit about the music.
    PearlsGirl wrote:
    aaaaaahhhh, now i get it. these ladies at work were talking about it and i overheard them say Chris' name. why chris, why would you listen to american idol? you're a genius, don't do this...

He doesn't watch the show, he was emailed by the guy who runs his website, about the performance, so he said youtubed it. He then spoke to Ryan Seacrest (the host of AI) on his radio show, talked about the performance, and his new album which is out in a few weeks.
  • PearlsGirlPearlsGirl Posts: 257
    He doesn't watch the show, he was emailed by the guy who runs his website, about the performance, so he said youtubed it. He then spoke to Ryan Seacrest (the host of AI) on his radio show, talked about the performance, and his new album which is out in a few weeks.

oh okay. so he's still a genius. god i love that man...
    Don't let the world bring you down, not everyone here is that fucked up and cold. Remember why you came and while you're alive, experience the warmth before you grow old.

Best two days of my life: Oasis at MSG and Pearl Jam at the Gorge.
  • oktacomaoktacoma Posts: 335
    over_bends wrote:
    If you're talking about Cornell's studio version, yea I agree. But that Unplugged in Sweden was a true masterpiece.
    100% correct, my friend. Very well said. I was thinking the exact same thing.
  • ii44 wrote:
    I find the show as entertaining as hell. You know there are a lot of people who watch it that don't give a shit about the music.

Personally I kind of like the first couple of shows in a sadistic sort of way because all the terrible people are on and I like to see Simon give them a verbal beat down. After that it's pretty much karaoke and totally uninteresting to me. I kind of prefer my karaoke to be done by drunks that sing off key, but maybe that's just me.
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • Um....CC didn't actually know anything about the David Cook performance, he was still on his way back from South Africa where he's been playing a couple of festivals. He only heard about it when he checked hs e-mail, lol, and realised his fanbase were up in arms about Cook being given all the credit for the "originality" and "courageousness" of the arrangement. doubt he actually "called the show", lol, but he did comment in a couple of interviews to the effect that there was nothing wrong with David Cook's version, but he quietly made the point that the arrangement was his.

Ryan Seacrest then had Chris on his radio show to set the record straight about the arrangement. You can stream or download that interview at http://www.kiisfm.com/cc-common/podc...st=on air.xml (scroll down). He also announced his new album due out later in the year.

Ryan S said that although he's announced David Cook as playing "Chris Cornell's version", he'd been a bit drowned out by the crowd and the judges were not aware. Why they weren;t aware is anyone's guess - just shows how much expertise they don't have I suppose!!!!

I've been summarising the whole business as it's unfolded on my news page at http://www.chriscornell.org.uk/news.htm On that page there's also some pro-shot video of CC doing Billie Jean live with his band last year. Real passion. Makes Cook's karaoke version look exactly what it is.

Also found this on a fellow fan's MySpace page, which I thought was amusing.

AmericanIdol-TheYearLater.gif
    www.myspace.com/clareobrienwright
    www.chriscornell.org.uk
  • oops double post
    www.chriscornell.org.uk
    I've been summarising the whole business as it's unfolded on my news page at http://www.chriscornell.org.uk/news.htm On that page there's also some pro-shot video of CC doing Billie Jean live with his band last year. Real passion. Makes Cook's karaoke version look exactly what it is.

IMG]http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w25/moonagedaydreamohyeah/AmericanIdol-TheYearLater.gif[/IMG]

Lol, that was funny!

I actually really like David Cook's version. It's not up there with Cornell's, because he doesn't have Chris' range, or the soulful tone; but I still think he's a decent singer, albeit a more conventional singer.
  • HebejebeHebejebe Posts: 108
    Am I the only person that thinks Cornell's Billie Jean, including the one in Sweden, is vastly overrated.
    Hebejebe wrote:
    Am I the only person that thinks Cornell's Billie Jean, including the one in Sweden, is vastly overrated.

Yes. To not like it is one thing. To not recognise the talent involved in completely over-hauling such a well known song, and making it hugely popular, is quite another.
    Yes. To not like it is one thing. To not recognise the talent involved in completely over-hauling such a well known song, and making it hugely popular, is quite another.
    It is a bland rendition, how you can say this as an example of Cornell's talent I'll never know.
  • Hebejebe wrote:
    It is a bland rendition, how you can say this as an example of Cornell's talent I'll never know.

BLAND? Well maybe it's colder up there in Thurso than it is down here in sunny Wester Ross, but my ears say it's a wonderfully dark murder ballad. :) It seemed to have more in common with Nick Cave or Polly Harvey than it did Michael Jackson. It was sinister, moody and magnificent - and it had a real sense of the blues, which is more than we can say for Jackson most of the time, and certainly more than we could claim for that poor wee David Cook. ;)
    www.chriscornell.org.uk
    BLAND? Well maybe it's colder up there in Thurso than it is down here in sunny Wester Ross, but my ears say it's a wonderfully dark murder ballad. :) It seemed to have more in common with Nick Cave or Polly Harvey than it did Michael Jackson. It was sinister, moody and magnificent - and it had a real sense of the blues, which is more than we can say for Jackson most of the time, and certainly more than we could claim for that poor wee David Cook. ;)
    Well it's the Highlands and on the coast so it's definitely cold but my ears are warm enough though :)

To be honest I wasn't looking for an argument with anyone, I just genuinely get nothing from his version. I'm glad that everyone else (so it seems) does get something from it, but rather like when I asked a similar question regarding arcade fire I just wanted to know if I was the only one that couldn't see what the fuss was about.
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    Hebejebe wrote:
    Well it's the Highlands and on the coast so it's definitely cold but my ears are warm enough though :)

To be honest I wasn't looking for an argument with anyone, I just genuinely get nothing from his version. I'm glad that everyone else (so it seems) does get something from it, but rather like when I asked a similar question regarding arcade fire I just wanted to know if I was the only one that couldn't see what the fuss was about.

The lyrics are sad and disturbing. It's about time someone put them to matching mood and music. Some buddies of mine also do a metal version of that songs which flat out kicks ass.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • OdinOdin Posts: 599
    Not an American Idol enthusiast (only watch the auditions), but I've heard a lot about this guy. Is he better than Chris Daughtry?
    Odin wrote:
    Not an American Idol enthusiast (only watch the auditions), but I've heard a lot about this guy. Is he better than Chris Daughtry?

I think so. Here's his version of Billie Jean: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_aiawC-9aM

and here's his version of Eleanor Rigby, which I also think is pretty cool: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSq8VBuZdU8
  • OdinOdin Posts: 599
    I think so. Here's his version of Billie Jean: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_aiawC-9aM

and here's his version of Eleanor Rigby, which I also think is pretty cool: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSq8VBuZdU8

Not bad. Alright, that was a bit of an understatement right there. I bet this guy will go off and do his own thing unlike Daughtry who was in Absent Element before auditioning for American Idol and then took his band along for the ride to rock music stardom.
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275

Now I'm as big a CC fan as anyone and but I hardly found Cook's version to be karaoke and without passion. I know it's hard sometimes to be objective about things we're really passionate about but Cook did great and no harm in giving credit where it's due, even if it's to someone on *gasp* American Idol.

And that gif is just brilliant. I really shouldn't laugh like that at work.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace

• Also found this on a fellow fan's MySpace page, which I thought was amusing.

Look at the cd's in that pic, should have had screaming life/ fopp instead of A-sides, but that an awesome collection of rock albums.
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown