Chris Cornell called American Idol

dlymnflddlymnfld Posts: 918
edited March 2008 in Other Music
To give David Cook props for singing his version of Billie Jean. I thought that was pretty funny. The song actually wasn't that bad.
Springfield 4/6/94, Boston 4/6/94, Hartford 10/2/96, New York 9/11/98, Hartford 9/13/98, Mansfield 8/30/00, Boston 9/28/04, Reading 10/1/04, Quebec City 9/20/05, Boston 5/24/06, Hartford 5/13/06, New York 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08 Philadelphia 10/31/09, Hartford 10/15/10,
Boston 10/17/10, East Troy 9/3/11, East Troy 9/4/11, Missoula 9/30/12, Worcester 10/15/13, Hartford 10/25/13, Charlottesville 10/29/13,
St. Paul 10/19/14, New York 9/26/15, Quebec City 5/5/16, Boston 8/5/16, Boston 9/2/18, Boston 9/4/18, Quebec City 9/1/22, Camden 9/14/22, Oklahoma City 9/20/22 
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ajedigeckoajedigecko Posts: 2,430
    i just heard the same thing at work this morning....i will check it out.
    live and let live...unless it violates the pearligious doctrine.
  • edvedder913edvedder913 Posts: 1,810
    honestly it was incredible. David Cook is a true artist/musician. that is hysterical that Chris Cornell called!!!!
  • dlymnfld wrote:
    To give David Cook props for singing his version of Billie Jean. I thought that was pretty funny. The song actually wasn't that bad.

it was great really! I didn't like david cook at first but now I think he's great! he's done some really cool stuff for american idol. taken a lot of risks. I loved when he did the like emo version of lionel richie's "hello." Who would think of that?
  • gusturtlegusturtle Posts: 442
    to be honest, i thought david cook's take was far superior to chris cornell's. yep, i'm saying he out-covered the cover.
  • edvedder913edvedder913 Posts: 1,810
    it was great really! I didn't like david cook at first but now I think he's great! he's done some really cool stuff for american idol. taken a lot of risks. I loved when he did the like emo version of lionel richie's "hello." Who would think of that?

I know, right? I have always hated that song - he made it enjoyable!
  • HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    I was kind of sad that he would go out of his way to do that. He probably called into Ryan Seacrest's radio show that morning. It was funny when Seacrest said that because the audience didn't really cheer; they were just kind of quiet. No one there knew who the hell Chris Cornell was.
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • over bendsover bends Posts: 1,568
    frogwater wrote:
    to be honest, i thought david cook's take was far superior to chris cornell's. yep, i'm saying he out-covered the cover.

If you're talking about Cornell's studio version, yea I agree. But that Unplugged in Sweden was a true masterpiece.
    Yield!

3 Decibels Doubles the Volume

• billie jean is such an awesome song...one of my favs...thriller was the first album I owned, age 5 :).
  • Cook is a great talent, I hope he wins.
  • PJ_LukinPJ_Lukin Posts: 2,049
    ~!~ Peace ~!~ Love ~!~ Pearl Jam ~!~
  • kj1nyrkj1nyr Posts: 837
    Yesterday I friend sent me the YouTube version of Dave Cook doing the song, and my friend, like the Idol judges, was praising Cook for being "original and brave".

I LMAO cause he totally ripped off Chris Cornell. Original my ample ass!

btw, CC totally owned that song live when I saw him at a few shows last year. CC is the true talent.
  • kj1nyr wrote:
    Yesterday I friend sent me the YouTube version of Dave Cook doing the song, and my friend, like the Idol judges, was praising Cook for being "original and brave".

I LMAO cause he totally ripped off Chris Cornell. Original my ample ass!

btw, CC totally owned that song live when I saw him at a few shows last year. CC is the true talent.

ryan seacrest introduced the song as the "the chris cornell version." he was given credit, the judges just didn't get it.

I still think Cook gets credit for being "original and brave" because let's face it, most people watching american idol have never heard CC doing billie jean- to them this kid just went out on a limb doing a weird version of a classic song. to know that you have to pick a song off a list from 1983 and see billie jean and think of doing it like a more recent cover on AI is pretty original IMO. Plus, the kid really rocked, he sounded great.
  • brainofjbbrainofjb Posts: 381
    honestly it was incredible. David Cook is a true artist/musician. that is hysterical that Chris Cornell called!!!!
    agreed! he is pretty dam good!
    I cant believe that Christie lee Cook chic is still there
    not even in the bottow 3 last night!
    There's the moon asking to stay
    Long enough for the clouds to fly me away
  • dlymnflddlymnfld Posts: 918
    ryan seacrest introduced the song as the "the chris cornell version." he was given credit, the judges just didn't get it.

I still think Cook gets credit for being "original and brave" because let's face it, most people watching american idol have never heard CC doing billie jean- to them this kid just went out on a limb doing a weird version of a classic song. to know that you have to pick a song off a list from 1983 and see billie jean and think of doing it like a more recent cover on AI is pretty original IMO. Plus, the kid really rocked, he sounded great.

You couldn't understand Seacrest when he introduced the song the first night. Though I do fast forward 90 percent of the show to skip the garbage Karoake. I only caught it was Cornell's song last night when Seacrest said he called. I am glad because I stopped listening to Cornell cause I felt SG was far more superior to AS so now I think I will buy his solo album.
    Springfield 4/6/94, Boston 4/6/94, Hartford 10/2/96, New York 9/11/98, Hartford 9/13/98, Mansfield 8/30/00, Boston 9/28/04, Reading 10/1/04, Quebec City 9/20/05, Boston 5/24/06, Hartford 5/13/06, New York 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08 Philadelphia 10/31/09, Hartford 10/15/10,
    Boston 10/17/10, East Troy 9/3/11, East Troy 9/4/11, Missoula 9/30/12, Worcester 10/15/13, Hartford 10/25/13, Charlottesville 10/29/13,
    St. Paul 10/19/14, New York 9/26/15, Quebec City 5/5/16, Boston 8/5/16, Boston 9/2/18, Boston 9/4/18, Quebec City 9/1/22, Camden 9/14/22, Oklahoma City 9/20/22 
  • HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    dlymnfld wrote:
    You couldn't understand Seacrest when he introduced the song the first night. Though I do fast forward 90 percent of the show to skip the garbage Karoake. I only caught it was Cornell's song last night when Seacrest said he called. I am glad because I stopped listening to Cornell cause I felt SG was far more superior to AS so now I think I will buy his solo album.
    What I have heard of his solo material is not great
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • Idol love on the PJ board, seriously?

AI is a major guilty pleasure for me, I'm just suprised is all.

You all get props in my book for your honesty and the ability to recognize a great talent when you see it. Especially to be able to see it through the tired dreck that is American Idol.

I didn't realize it was CC's arrangement until last night (the elimination round). one could say that it was a rip off of someone else's work

but Chris Cornell is no vocal slouch. well done young man.

still pulling for Carly, she is also WAY too good to be on that show.
  • You have to read between the lines here people to what truly happened. Cook performed Chris's version, the judges had never heard it and gave Cook all the props of being so original. And Cook did not fess up. He just took all their praise. Now dont get me wrong he derves credit for his performance but it wasn't right to take all the credit for the modifications of the song/risk taking.

Chris Cornell called to get credit. And Ryan gave him the credit on the next night in a nice way by saying "Chris called to say he liked it". I don't think just him liking it would of been enough to get him to pick up the phone. I dont think he would of called if he had been given credit the night before.

I mean i was kind of annoyed myself when i came into work the next day and people are like "wow can you beleive what he did to that song?" I was like sure i beleive it... .its on my ipod. He didnt create that. I played it for some people to give Chris his cred and was very happy that they mentioned him the next night.
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    You have to read between the lines here people to what truly happened. Cook performed Chris's version, the judges had never heard it and gave Cook all the props of being so original. And Cook did not fess up. He just took all their praise. Now dont get me wrong he derves credit for his performance but it wasn't right to take all the credit for the modifications of the song/risk taking.

He didn't take the credit though. It was announced at the start that it was "Chris Cornells version." I don't know how much clearer you guys want it to be. I assumed the judges were giving him props for doing Cornells version instead of the much more popular Jackson version. Seriously, do you really think the guy has time to make up a radical arrangement like that in a week? (Or whatever time it is between shows, I don't watch Americna Idol).
  • muppet wrote:
    He didn't take the credit though. It was announced at the start that it was "Chris Cornells version." I don't know how much clearer you guys want it to be. I assumed the judges were giving him props for doing Cornells version instead of the much more popular Jackson version. Seriously, do you really think the guy has time to make up a radical arrangement like that in a week? (Or whatever time it is between shows, I don't watch Americna Idol).

they said that on night 2 after Chris called. They didnt say that the night of the performance. not that i heard.
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
  • muppet wrote:

I'm at work and can't look but i'll take your word for it.
  • I can confirm 100% that Ryan Seacrest did introduce the song as "Chris Cornell's version of Billie Jean" before it was played, but he was in the crowd and it wasn't all that clear.

I agree that the judges did over-praise him, and you would think that after Daughtry ripped off Live's version of Walk the Line that they would have learned something.

But then I'm sure that's why they made it a point to mention that it was Cornell's version.
  • HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,153
    WTF ....Chris watches Idol??? :confused:
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
  • Hawkshore wrote:
    WTF ....Chris watches Idol??? :confused:

Of course... while sitting at home shirtless in his designer jeans
  • ladygooddivaladygooddiva Posts: 4,169
    this guy can t wear chris boats to big for him..
    C.C is the best
  • over_bends wrote:
    If you're talking about Cornell's studio version, yea I agree. But that Unplugged in Sweden was a true masterpiece.

agreed. it's about 1000x better live than it is on the album.
  • ii44ii44 Posts: 430
    agreed. it's about 1000x better live than it is on the album.

Agreed.

I can't stand the guy who covered his cover, but if he's listening to CC's solo record he can't be a total douchebag.
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    I Youtube'd it last night. Watched it once. Watched it twice.

That was the first time that I'd heard Cook sing and I thought he did fantastic. Yes, it was the "Chris Cornell" version of the song but he didn't vocally follow Cornell's map of the song. Great technique, that guy has. And where he took the final notes...brilliant. The guy's got voice.

As the You Tube vidoe clearly shows, redit was given to Cornell; if you missed it get over it. Life will be fine whether people know Cornell put that unique signature on "Billie Jean" first or not. And good for Cornell for giving the kid credit for blowing up the song because he did.
    Does Cornell, watch AI? Don't know. Don't care. Do you?
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    You know that the contestants record full studio versions of the songs they perform on the show? I downloaded David Cook's 4 minute long version, not bad at all. The guy does have a great voice, not quite in Cornell's league, but it's a very solid cover. I can post a link if anyone's interested.

I can't put my finger on what exactly went wrong when Cornell recorded the song, the acoustic version is fantastic, and some of the live versions on youtube are damn near jaw-dropping - the album version just doesn't do it justice.
  • maccimacci Posts: 1,057
    I had never heard the Cornell version before.......I was shocked.
    My lips are shaking.......