New single by The Verve on myspace

pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
edited June 2008 in Other Music
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=205396700

I am far from impressed. I really hope the rest of the record isnt going to sound like this.
Alpine Valley 2000
Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,057
    I agree, this is awful.....Ashcroft is capable of so much more

this wouldnt even be a b side to anything off urban hymms.....

maybe this was left better off as it was......I.e Verve retired
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    pdalowsky wrote:
    I agree, this is awful.....Ashcroft is capable of so much more

this wouldnt even be a b side to anything off urban hymms.....

maybe this was left better off as it was......I.e Verve retired

I would love to see them on tour but it turns out that I could maybe do without them making a new record.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• the only song I have ever heard from them is bittersweet symphony........do they play anything else of theirs on the radio?
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • BenzorBenzor Posts: 886
    I saw them at MSG in April and this song was pretty amazing live. The other new song they played was great too.
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    the only song I have ever heard from them is bittersweet symphony........do they play anything else of theirs on the radio?

Lucky Man: http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZyTO0jW8T2o

Sonnet: http://youtube.com/watch?v=RiQgEn5ibYg&feature=related

The Drugs Don't Work: http://youtube.com/watch?v=n4XCGeckA-E&feature=related

These were all really big songs here in the UK. And yeah, the new one sounds pretty poo.
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    Urban Hymns was shite in comparission to the first two Verve albums, I really dont wanna hear this.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • Lucky Man: http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZyTO0jW8T2o

Sonnet: http://youtube.com/watch?v=RiQgEn5ibYg&feature=related

The Drugs Don't Work: http://youtube.com/watch?v=n4XCGeckA-E&feature=related

These were all really big songs here in the UK. And yeah, the new one sounds pretty poo.

yeah, i think that's the key -- the UK -- i don't think ive heard any one of those tunes on american radio. im not saying they suck, i just have never heard any other song but bittersweet symphony on the radio.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    yeah, i think that's the key -- the UK -- i don't think ive heard any one of those tunes on american radio. im not saying they suck, i just have never heard any other song but bittersweet symphony on the radio.

Fair enough, I'm quite surprised though that a band could play MSG on the back of one hit single :confused:
  • Fair enough, I'm quite surprised though that a band could play MSG on the back of one hit single :confused:

I guess I am surprised too but looking at it on Wikipedia, i'm not really that crazy. While all three of their albums charted in the UK, only their last one charted in the US on Billboard. And even then, it only hit #23, while in the UK it hit #1.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    I guess I am surprised too but looking at it on Wikipedia, i'm not really that crazy. While all three of their albums charted in the UK, only their last one charted in the US on Billboard. And even then, it only hit #23, while in the UK it hit #1.

In all honesty I doubt the average British music fan could name a song from their first two albums either. Urban Hymms happened to drop at just the right time, during the Brit-pop movement, so there was a ready made audience, largely due to Oasis' success. I guess that success had some cross-over appeal in the US.
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Urban Hymns was shite in comparission to the first two Verve albums, I really dont wanna hear this.

No it isnt, its an amazing album.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    i quite like the new song actually, nice vocal layers through the verse, reminded me that i missed hearing that voice. made me go back over urban hymns & alone with everybody, two fantastic albums imo
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    guess im alone here...i love this song....ive heard the live version and this was what got me pumped for new Verve material (much more so than "Sit and Wonder" which I found quite lackluster)

it might be important to note that i absolutely love everything the Verve has done
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • It's not working without the drugs.
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,057
    Although this new tune is appalling, Ashcroft is great on a stage, either with the band or solo...he is a great performer....

Urban hymms is top, wall to wall quality tunes, Velvet Morning being a standout other than the singles. I always think people may get the wrong idea about this band from Bittersweet symphony, good tune but nowhere near there best..

as for the better first two records, this is surely nonsense? History being their standout tune, they werent that good were they?
  • Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    LedZepFan wrote:
    guess im alone here...i love this song....

I'm with you, this song is awesome, such a cool vibe to it.....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
    pdalowsky wrote:
    Although this new tune is appalling, Ashcroft is great on a stage, either with the band or solo...he is a great performer....

Urban hymms is top, wall to wall quality tunes, Velvet Morning being a standout other than the singles. I always think people may get the wrong idea about this band from Bittersweet symphony, good tune but nowhere near there best..

as for the better first two records, this is surely nonsense? History being their standout tune, they werent that good were they?

Depends whether you want paint by numbers formulaic brit-pop or interesting music that was intense and a more deep experience, I choose the later and go for A Storm in Heaven and A Northern Soul, Urban Hymns was just sell out pop music.
  • mulva9mulva9 Posts: 417
    I'm with all of you who enjoy it. I'm pumped for the new album.
    Ok so I gave it a listen, mmmmmm, it's pretty bad.
    Slide Away was at least on the page as well to wash the bad taste out of my mouth though.:)
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Ok so I gave it a listen, mmmmmm, it's pretty bad.
    Slide Away was at least on the page as well to wash the bad taste out of my mouth though.:)
    Agreed :)

Anyone who prefers the Urban Hymns - Onwards sound to stuff like Slide Away and the rest of A Storm in Heaven is crazy.

Urban Hymns had a handful of good songs and a shitload of filler.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Depends whether you want paint by numbers formulaic brit-pop or interesting music that was intense and a more deep experience, I choose the later and go for A Storm in Heaven and A Northern Soul, Urban Hymns was just sell out pop music.

The sad thing is, I've been up in the northwest of England a couple of times recently, and I've seen a couple of the supposed upcoming bands (not mentioning any names). The local media and hype-talkers think these acts are going to conquer the world, and they're crazy. It's stepping into a time machine and going back to a second or third division 1997, hearing these lame moptops going mad-fer-it and ripping off Urban Hymns or, God forbid, Be Here Now. I'm sure there are a lot of people among that lot, listening to The Verve's latest offering and thinking it's so new, vibrant, fresh and 1998.

Not that I can stick the Newton Faulkner poshboys dahhhn sarfffff, either.
  • The sad thing is, I've been up in the northwest of England a couple of times recently, and I've seen a couple of the supposed upcoming bands (not mentioning any names). The local media and hype-talkers think these acts are going to conquer the world, and they're crazy. It's stepping into a time machine and going back to a second or third division 1997, hearing these lame moptops going mad-fer-it and ripping off Urban Hymns or, God forbid, Be Here Now. I'm sure there are a lot of people among that lot, listening to The Verve's latest offering and thinking it's so new, vibrant, fresh and 1998.

Not that I can stick the Newton Faulkner poshboys dahhhn sarfffff, either.

There's a lot of truth in this post.

What I tell people when they say 'What do you hate most about music'?

The so-called 'Northern Scene'. And anything you might hear on an I'm-a-real-cockney-luvvly-jubbly Jamie Oliver programme. Music that wouldn't offend your grandmother.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • LongRhodeLongRhode Posts: 93
    Geez, did Richard unplug Nick McCabe's guitar?

I am sorry to sound like a snotty "they were better back when...." but 'A Storm In Heaven' ranks in my top 10 albums of all time mostly because of Nick's dreamy guitar work.

This song makes me sad.. top 40 targeted pop and not the Verve I was hoping for. Fingers crossed this doesn't represent the vibe of the new album
    1991 - Warwick RI
    1994 - Boston Garden 1
    2003 - Mansfield 1
    2004 - Boston 1 & 2
    2006 - Albany, Boston 1, Dublin Ireland
    2008 - Mansfield 1 & 2, EV Boston 1
  • mulva9mulva9 Posts: 417
    Another new one for free download - a non-album track "Mover"

http://www.theverve.tv/
  • RonForchetteRonForchette Posts: 175
    mulva9 wrote:
    Another new one for free download - a non-album track "Mover"

http://www.theverve.tv/

Thank you very much for posting this!
    Alpine Valley '92
    Milwaukee 2 '95
    Alpine Valley '00
    Milwaukee 1 '06
  • DjangoDjango Posts: 152
    The Verve were always so hyped up....mostly by Dick Ashcroft himself.
  • Anyone have a barf bag?
    "All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives"--Ed
  • tcaporaletcaporale Posts: 1,577
    Yeah, this song sounds more like something Richard Ashcroft would do solo...but after repeated listens, I've come to like it a whole lot...that backing vocal throughout totally makes the whole song.

I still would've released a straight-ahead rocker as the first single, just to show the world that The Verve is back and rockin'.

But nothing could compare to A Storm in Heaven. That album is pure magic.
  • My girlfriend and I watched The Verve live at Glastonbury because there was nothing else on TV.

I think we both agreed that it was some of the most boring, uninspired live music we'd ever had the misfortune of hearing.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
    My girlfriend and I watched The Verve live at Glastonbury because there was nothing else on TV.

I think we both agreed that it was some of the most boring, uninspired live music we'd ever had the misfortune of hearing.

I agree, most boring performance this side of Arctic Monkeys ;)