Anybody else hates Frank Sinatras music?

2»

Comments

• markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,141
    I like most of what I've heard from Sinatra. His music may not always be my first choice, but I won't object to it.
  • sinatra didnt write his own songs. he was just the singer.

I don't think I suggested that he wrote his own songs. But he did make them famous and therefore 'his own'.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    I don't think I suggested that he wrote his own songs. But he did make them famous and therefore 'his own'.

i didnt say you did mark. i quoted you cause yours seems to fit in with the other one i quoted. and absolutely youre right he at least had the knack for making songs his own.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • HinnyHinny Posts: 1,610
    Can't imagine wanting to listening to anything other than Sinatra if I'm sitting at a cocktail bar.
    Binary solo..000000100000111100001110
  • Brain of J.LoBrain of J.Lo Posts: 3,259
    gabers wrote:
    Go figure, a Jersey girl standing up for Sinatra. :)

When I moved here, I had to sign a contract promising to always stick up for him and for Bon Jovi. :D
  • TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    Weak to use the word HATE about something I cant stand to hear?
    Where are you hanging out that Sinatra is in heavy rotation????
    The local Senior Center? :p
    Not that it is a bad thing.

I have always loved listening to Sinatra. But listen, he is from a different era. It's like when an adult complains about music for toddlers...yes, it can be annoying, but the kiddies find it stimulating and amusing.
    Rock on Laurie Berkner!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • Strangest TribeStrangest Tribe Posts: 2,502
    Sinatra's music is timeless and will be around well after a lot of the crap we listen to today is long forgotten.

If you ever find yourself listening to music because you think it's "cool" perhaps you need to get a clue.

Cool, is not a parameter I consider when I choose my music.
    the Minions
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    TrixieCat wrote:
    Rock on Laurie Berkner!!!!!!!!!!!!

Laurie Berkner is coming! Lauri Berkner is coming! LOL
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    Strangers in the Night, timeless.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    When I moved here, I had to sign a contract promising to always stick up for him and for Bon Jovi. :D

ugh..I am more apt to stick up for Frank...But I do admit to liking a couple of bonjovi song :o. Even though I hate BonJovi.
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • gregkitefangregkitefan Posts: 1,115
    No.
  • stickfig13stickfig13 Posts: 1,532
    Cant stand this boring dogshit. Not even good enough to listen to while eating.

You watch your mouth!

He's the greatest singer of his era!

Saying that Mr. Sinatra sucks is like kicking the pope in the balls!
    Sacramento 10-30-00, Bridge School 10-20 and 10-21-01, Bridge School 10-25 and 10-26-01, Irvine 06-02-03, Irvine 06-03-03, San Diego 06-05-03, San Diego 07-07-06, Los Angeles 07-09-06, Santa Barbara 07-13-06, London UK 06-18-07, San Diego 10-9-09, San Diego 2013, LA 1 2013
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    I liked this quote from Bono.

"Rock and Roll people love Frank Sinatra, because Frank Sinatra has got what we want - swagger and attitude."
    - Bono
  • The_Fixer The_Fixer Posts: 255
    another dumb thread.

Agreed.
    Montreal 08/20/98 | New York 09/11/98 | Wantagh 08/24/00 | Montreal 10/04/00 | Montreal 06/29/03 | Montreal 09/15/05
    Toronto 05/10/06 | Vancouver 04/02//08 (Ed) | Manchester 06/14/08 | Montreal 08/09/08 (Ed) | Montreal 08/10/08 (Ed) 
    Albany 06/08/09 (Ed) | Philadelphia 10/31/09 | Montreal 09/07/11 | Ottawa 05/08/16 | Brooklyn 04/07/17 (RRHOF)
    Dana Point 09/09/17 (Ed) | Rome 06/26/18
  • Are you kidding me? Nothing like Sunday with Sinatra! Don't listen to him all the time since his show is not on the local channels anymore, but definitely a significant figure in musical history.

Best when you are a little buzzed up and you pop it on at a party. You'd be surprised how many people like Frankie.
    I will hold the candle until it burns up my arm. I'll keep taking punches until their will grows tired. I will stare the sun down until my eyes go blind. I won't change direction and I won't change my mind.
  • ToshalaToshala Posts: 200
    "Throughout my career, if I have done anything, I have paid attention to every note and every word I sing-if I respect the song. If I cannot project this to a listener, I fail."
    -Frank Sinatra

He faced triumph, failure and triumph again throughout his long career as an entertainer. New musical fads and trends have come and gone during his lifetime but this man and his music have remained at the forefront of American culture for nearly half a century.

Listening to his recorded legacy, an incredible body of work that spans 1939 to 1994, there can be little doubt that Sinatra is the single greatest interpreter of American popular song-the one performer who elevated what he referred to as "saloon singing" to a high art. A man who has enriched American music with countless superior recordings of many classic standards and provided the soundtrack for much of this century.

(some nice things said about Sinatra from people who gave a meaningful opinion) {unlike the poster who started this thread!]

``` In addition to his sound and presence, Sinatra has the ability to sing a tune in any style and make it sound like his own. The sound is always rich and full and no one interprets a tune that is more believable than the way he has with both the music and the lyrics. An example of this magnified is when you hear the music of the various arrangers in the background and the way in which Sinatra blends, it is chameleon-like. As a musician, you can feel what he is doing and at that moment you want to be a part of it. ```

more here if anyone is interested:
    http://www.jazzsingers.com/FrankSinatra/
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    "In America, you're either a rebel or you like Frank Sinatra" - Jimi Hendrix

then I'm the rebel leader
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • glasshouse wrote:
    then I'm the rebel leader

He was quite good as an actor, back in the day. But the sound of him as an old man, dueting with Bono, should have been punishable by Hague Tribunal.